Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

2smiggy wrote: »
    Amazing the amount of people who don't give a rough idea of their location on done deal. Sort of foolish when selling something like hay

huge amount of hay baled now, it won't be easy get a price now, it'll be easy bought

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Teddy 1234

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    There’s a website called DoneDeal......it gives a good indication of the price of everything..

Really!!! I was just wondering what price people are getting. prices on DoneDeal between 25-30€. With all this hay it will be difficult to get 25€

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Probably correct, DD tells you what people want for their product not what people pay for it. Good hay though will last for years if you can store it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

92 bales of 9 acres for a customer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Amazing the amount of people who don't give a rough idea of their location on done deal. Sort of foolish when selling something like hay

If you search by region with a keyword - it should give the sellers in that region eg Leinster, Munster etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Bloody disaster when you're trying to buy in County Cork...even if we still used landlines you'd have some clue of the area from the phone number..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

gozunda wrote: »
    If you search by region with a keyword - it should give the sellers in that region eg Leinster, Munster etc

I mean like they say 'top quality hay €27' and all you have to go by is County Cork. Mitchelstown is as close to Dublin as it is close to part of west Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I mean like they say 'top quality hay €27' and all you have to go by is County Cork. Mitchelstown is as close to Dublin as it is close to part of west Cork

Ah sure they don’t want the neighbors knowing their business.............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Got mine baled yesterday. A relief after Saturday’s rain

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Got mine baled yesterday. A relief after Saturday’s rain

Told ya youd be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Was awful dull all day yesterday. Hopefully it improves for few days or will be very hard to get Hay this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ready to bale today but trying to get someone to square bale it so might be tomorrrow

got to bale about 100 or so yesterday evening, but a dull day in North Cork yesterday, and today has started no better.

got to bale about 100 or so yesterday evening, but a dull day in North Cork yesterday, and today has started no better.

Was the Hay still fit enough to bale when the day was so dull :confused:

Sami23 wrote: »

did not start to bale till around 6, it was a bit brighter by then. We have so much to do (70 acres) , we just made a start anyway !! It did seem fit to bale IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Bright sunny morning here in Galway. Will turn the hay once the dew is gone around 11, row up around 2 and bale around 4. Grass was cut this day last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

did not start to bale till around 6, it was a bit brighter by then. We have so much to do (70 acres) , we just made a start anyway !! It did seem fit to bale IMO.

I don’t think i’d Ever have the balls to do that much hay at one time.

You'd want some amount of shed space too for storage :eek:

Do people Ted it out once or twice a day

Teddy 1234 wrote: »
    Do people Ted it out once or twice a day

Usually once here unless it's an unreal day altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You'd want some amount of shed space too for storage :eek:

70 acres of storage

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Bright sunny morning here in Galway. Will turn the hay once the dew is gone around 11, row up around 2 and bale around 4. Grass was cut this day last week...

Doing the exact same as you and mine was cut last Wednesday evening aswell

It's my father, I would not be too keen on that much myself, but it's his farm !! We have it all pretty much sold off the field already, once it's right of course.

It's a grand day here today thankfully, so hopefully get stuck into it in the afternoon

My glas field was cut Monday morning, it was nearly gone for into hay on the stem. It will be bales Friday. Do people tell the baler man to chop hay like they do with silage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Teddy 1234 wrote: »
    My glas field was cut Monday morning, it was nearly gone for into hay on the stem. It will be bales Friday. Do people tell the baler man to chop hay like they do with silage ?

Definitely Don’t chop hay

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dunedin wrote: »
    Definitely Don’t chop hay

Why not. I have done it before. Would not chop May it early June has as there is feed value in the flower/seed head.eith all grass gone to seed on a July sward I see no issue in chopping the bales especially if going to be fed in a slatted shed

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I worked for a lad that is always after a quick buck and changes the farming system yearly. He made a savage belt of hay and silage a few years back for sale, something like 2,800 round bales with more than half hay. There was about 120 acres of hay down in broken weather and silage at the same time, he spent a month solid looking at every weather forecasting site on the net. Any good day was manic between baling, tedding and drawing bales around the clock. The boss lost about 2 stone in weight from pure stress and I'd say his blood pressure could have been measured in PSI for the few weeks. It was all got in the end although I've never been able to look at snack boxes, cold meat salads or fags the same way since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Why not. I have done it before. Would chop May it early June has as there is feed value in the flower/seed head.eith all grass gone to seed on a July sward I see no issue in chopping the bales especially if going to be fed in a slatted shed

Everyone to their own but my lad forgot to turn off the knives a few years ago and I found it a nightmare feeding it but suppose it depends on where you are feeding it. I feed it in mangers and it broke my heart falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Very little rain forecast for the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Apologies if this dangerous question has been answered earlier but how much is a round bale of hay making now?

In the south-east of the country

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement