Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What is the going rate for round bales of hay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Sami23

cute geoge wrote: »
    What is the going rate for round bales of hay

5 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wrapped yesterday rather than leaving to go to hay. Wrapping is a cost but easier storage. Ground that only had 60 bales last year had 110 this year.
    Finished at 12 o'clock last night with bales stacked two high on slab.
    Will have wholecrop oats in a few weeks. What price per bale will that be worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

_blaaz wrote: »
    Father told me in olden times,they used add salt to the cocks/reeks (idk difference) to sweeten hay that had got rain

Well you'd gather it into the cocks in the field then draw them in and consolidate and build them into ricks in the yard.

If you don't have too much hay, yet you want give the impression to the ladies that you have a decent bit of land when you are out chatting them up, they generally prefer to hear that you describe that you have one massive cock rather than having a small rick..........

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Baled up 1000 + bales yesterday ( in S West )
    Put 500 in shed last evening & today stood the other 500 ( Yup they were the small squares )
    & will sell that 500 off the field.
    Great breeze this evening , will season the small squares over the wknd.
    The best lad yestersday evening on the loading was 15yrs old & he had the least to say .
    Theres lot good ladfs comming up these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Track9 wrote: »
    Put 500 in shed last evening

Any heat in them today?
    I don't think I ever baled square bales an put them straight in the shed.
    We'd always leave them out a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Any heat in them today?
    I don't think I ever baled square bales an put them straight in the shed.
    We'd always leave them out a week or two.

Often done it & had no issues
    Just don’t have them over tight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The best lad yestersday evening on the loading was 15yrs old & he had the least to say .

Was he on the trailer? Some lad if he forking them up.
    You are right. The youth are often all painted with the one brush. All stuck in phones. All lazy.
    But sone of the most progressive farmers with hunger in their bellies around here are in their teens/early twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cheap hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Anyone sellin hay for €20 are barely breaking even...better of storin it ..

Ended up with 1300 bales, storage is not an option. Market dictates the price. Cut, tedded, and rowed ourselves, baled 900 ourselves. Last year would have been 25 a bale. Only dealing with 2 people who load themselves, and never had a bother with quick payment. 300 bales gone since Friday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Got mine finished Saturday, great crop. The (square) baler broke down Friday evening, which I was very glad of considering we were short handed. The best move I've ever made is to stop using the bale trailer. We used an Ifor Williams behind the tractor. Could get 18 bales on the floor, but more importantly, because it's so low, no one on the trailer. Started off with two of us, the wife driving and me loading/unloading but thank God got the father and brother in law in the shed after two loads. I was convinced the bales were damp by the end, they god very heavy after handling a few hundred! I was luck that I left the last field standing as I'd have struggled to find space for it. Think I'll bale it and sell it off the field if I get the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Put 500 in shed last evening & today stood the other 500 ( Yup they were the small squares )
    & will sell that 500 off the field.
    Great breeze this evening , will season the small squares over the wknd.

Have to agree, some great chaps on the way. Loads of 14-17 year olds boys and girls looking for relief milking and summer work. Great to see.

Picking stones off reseeds last Thursday I brought my lads and 3 of their buddies, head down ass up all day and not a word out of them. Was a very warm day and they worked solid from 8am till 5.30.

Only thing was they were still full of craic by evening whereas us adults were bollixed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Agreed fully KG, unlimited number of older teens out there looking for summer work, and well able to learn fast and apply themselves properly once you show them. If you as a farmer cannot find labour during the summer holidays it more reflects on yourown mindset and ability as a boss.

I see the other end of it as a coach in the local club, always a big rush among all the teens in the early summer to get a job anywhere because they know there is like one job for every 5 kids out there. One 17yr old lad I got talking to did himself up business cards offering to do gardening work and odd jobs, and stuck them in letterboxes of about 20houses up and down his road, he was telling me he was getting a consistant 30 or 40hrs a week work at 10e/hr cash, and word of mouth spreading around nicely about him ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Timmaay wrote: »
    Agreed fully KG, unlimited number of older teens out there looking for summer work, and well able to learn fast and apply themselves properly once you show them. If you as a farmer cannot find labour during the summer holidays it more reflects on yourown mindset and ability as a boss.

I see the other end of it as a coach in the local club, always a big rush among all the teens in the early summer to get a job anywhere because they know there is like one job for every 5 kids out there. One 17yr old lad I got talking to did himself up business cards offering to do gardening work and odd jobs, and stuck them in letterboxes of about 20houses up and down his road, he was telling me he was getting a consistant 30 or 40hrs a week work at 10e/hr cash, and word of mouth spreading around nicely about him ha.

Very good, my eldest did that in 6th class. Got loads of lawn mowing and garden tidy up jobs. He’s graduated to weekend milking roster and tractor driving so has passed work on to his next brother
    Edit: business may not survive I fear, not the same drive

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Muckit wrote: »
    Was he on the trailer? Some lad if he forking them up.
    You are right. The youth are often all painted with the one brush. All stuck in phones. All lazy.
    But sone of the most progressive farmers with hunger in their bellies around here are in their teens/early twenties.
    ==================================

You are right on , the lad was up on the load stowing the bales .
    Noticed the lad did a quick look at phone lunchtime & then put his phone away
    I wouldnt have any lad of 15 lifting hay bales .
    The lad ( not related to me ) liked being busy & struck me as not money mad .
    The grown ups were using energy into the ( who is the boss , routine )

There is promise in a lot of young people comming through .
    More hay baling tomo.Still thankful no rain in South of the Country .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Good idea with the pallets but still, someone making work for themselves.

https://www.donedeal.ie/farmproduce-for-sale/hay-for-sale-round-and-square-bales/22349884

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

https://www.donedeal.ie/farmproduce-for-sale/hay-for-sale-round-and-square-bales/22349884

The way I remember the ground around Crossmolina it would be no harm to stop them sinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This'll bring back fond memories for the mods.

https://twitter.com/actonscottfarm/status/1148307015179165696?s=20

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Odelay wrote: »

The way I remember the ground around Crossmolina it would be no harm to stop them sinking!

Vets on call showcased a lot of the poorer land back in it's day, the OH comes from just outside Ballina so I'd have an idea of that part of the world. There's some great land between Ballina and Crossmolina although it's more on the Ballina side. The land in the add seems good enough and if the hay is nice quality it's not overly expensive imo. Once you cross the Shannon haulage costs start to erode any value in "cheap" southern hay, a local haulier is quoting €12 a bale to cart hay at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

With the weather we've had and the weather to come tomorrow, I saw a fella mowing today in the rain!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Water John wrote: »
    With the weather we've had and the weather to come tomorrow, I saw a fella mowing today in the rain!!!

Nothing is impossible nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Water John wrote: »

Pure insanity

Thing is if its mowed wet it stays wet, you'll never dry it. you have some hope if mowed dry

Reggie. wrote: »
    Nothing is impossible nowadays

When you going to post some more pictures of the Dini in action??!!

Panch18 wrote: »
    When you going to post some more pictures of the Dini in action??!!

Already done so on Twitter. She's well broken in now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,209 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Already done so on Twitter. She's well broken in now

Not everyone is on Twitter ya know

whelan2 wrote: »
    Not everyone is on Twitter ya know

Your loss :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Panch18 wrote: »
    Pure insanity

Thing is if its mowed wet it stays wet, you'll never dry it. you have some hope if mowed dry

He may have started to mow it and just finished it off. It would also depend on what type of meadow he mowed. If it was stuff closed since it would be a lot heavier than a crop closed late April. As well ground is very dry and if it is a short growing crop it will be much lighter and no heavy butt to hold the moisture.

Slava Ukrainii

Your loss :P

come on Reggie - throw some up here for us

Some of us are too old for twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Vets on call showcased a lot of the poorer land back in it's day, the OH comes from just outside Ballina so I'd have an idea of that part of the world. There's some great land between Ballina and Crossmolina although it's more on the Ballina side. The land in the add seems good enough and if the hay is nice quality it's not overly expensive imo. Once you cross the Shannon haulage costs start to erode any value in "cheap" southern hay, a local haulier is quoting €12 a bale to cart hay at the moment.

Why dont lads just get it transported via CIE.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Anyone here remember Straddle stones being used for cocks of hay??

Pre runners of pallets - kept the hay dry and off the ground and rats out ;)

These ones is in Bunratty afaik (reckon hay has gone a bit mouldy underneath the thatch tbh )

dd5ccbd046bb0daa197a0d9883e57e82.jpg

Advertisement