Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Apologies if this dangerous question has been answered earlier but how much is a round bale of hay making now?

In the south-east of the country

Averaging 25euro Country wide I would say

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Sami23 wrote: »

Sound job. Thanks for that

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That seems to be the asking price if we get the next 7 days fine the price will drop. A lot of hay in storage since last year. I say be the weekend you will be heading to 20 euro as buyers dwimgle in numbers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

That seems to be the asking price if we get the next 7 days fine the price will drop. A lot of hay in storage since last year. I say be the weekend you will be heading to 20 euro as buyers dwimgle in numbers.

We can but live in hope for a bad winter:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Apologies if this dangerous question has been answered earlier but how much is a round bale of hay making now?

In the south-east of the country

It’s not selling at all. Wait for the rain to come and the grass to grow around the bales for some movement. A couple of years back 15 to 20€ was catching most of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Willfarman wrote: »
    It’s not selling at all. Wait for the rain to come and the grass to grow around the bales for some movement. A couple of years back 15 to 20€ was catching most of it?

The whole game with ahy is the ability to stores for 2-3 years when it is plentiful and sell when there is a market for it. Most Winters it is available for. Hardt to believe this add is only 6 weeks old.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/farmproduce-for-sale/hay-for-sale/21306081

Ulikly he will see that money for it for another two years at least.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bought 12 bales of hay after a supplier from last year rang up this evening.
    Delivered into the yard. I'm not sure of price but it beats turning hay yourself and then it'll be dropped into the yard as well.

Have my own stock of grass built up now ready for a drought if it comes.
    No second cut needed so all ground available for grazing. Paddocks might'nt be pleasing to the eye to a teagasc grazer but no mowers or toppers used so far. Grass is grass if it's on a dungpat or not and if it's not ate in this round it will the next. Fertilizer has been cut out in this round too as I've enough of quantity.
    Boron will be used in the next round of fertilizer and grazing again as it'll be dry and to stop heading out.

I'd rather have the hay bought now from a regular and be sure of the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Bought 12 bales of hay after a supplier from last year rang up this evening.
    Delivered into the yard. I'm not sure of price but it beats turning hay yourself and then it'll be dropped into the yard as well.

Have my own stock of grass built up now ready for a drought if it comes.
    No second cut needed so all ground available for grazing. Paddocks might'nt be pleasing to the eye to a teagasc grazer but no mowers or toppers used so far. Grass is grass if it's on a dungpat or not and if it's not ate in this round it will the next. Fertilizer has been cut out in this round too as I've enough of quantity.
    Boron will be used in the next round of fertilizer and grazing again as it'll be dry and to stop heading out.

I'd rather have the hay bought now from a regular and be sure of the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

valtra2 wrote: »

I'll be rolling in grass when the rest of ye are crying out for rain!! :D

Last year was a good education. :)
    I'm farming for myself not anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I'm sick of hay now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

About 620 baled off 35 acres or so, heavier crop than we thought. Good weather tomorrow so will be able to start earlier tomorrow. Long day, our own baler and a neighbour with another baler about 500 today. All sold off the field. Another good day or two and all will be very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

good stuff

2smiggy wrote: »
    All sold off the field.

That's great going - well done

Btw - how much are you getting for them as Hay is getting very plentiful at this stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

Reggie. wrote: »
    I'm sick of hay now

When your doing up the bill you'll feel better!

Weather forecast is for very dull and cloudy weather after today so could be out of luck for Hay. Cut since Monday. Feck it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

finally baled up mine yesterday evening, down since last Tuesday, 370 square bales so more than enough. hope rest of you get it saved

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dozer1 wrote: »
    finally baled up mine yesterday evening, down since last Tuesday, 370 square bales so more than enough. hope rest of you get it saved

Saturday showing some showers. Hope to have mine finished Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Cut c5 acres last wed, baled yesterday evening. 37bales. Reseeded last Sept. Great to get it done. Also cut THM on Mon and baled it aswell. Good stuff.

Aravo wrote: »
    Also cut THM on Mon and baled it aswell. Good stuff.

Fair play but how was it fit to bale yesterday when it was only cut on Monday :confused:

visatorro wrote: »
    When your doing up the bill you'll feel better!

Doing up a bill is one thing....getting the money is another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Reggie. wrote: »
    Doing up a bill is one thing....getting the money is another

Doubt you go to a farm that has a bill with you

Doubt you go to a farm that has a bill with you

Have been known to be fussy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Tileman

Weather forecast is for very dull and cloudy weather after today so could be out of luck for Hay. Cut since Monday. Feck it anyway.

Monday looks ok at moment. I am in the same boat. Down since Monday evening, Might wrap it up as haylage as its to sell anyway and teh country is awash with hay now. Might be a bettet market for haylage for the horsey crowd.

Tileman wrote: »
    Monday looks ok at moment. I am in the same boat. Down since Monday evening, Might wrap it up as haylage as its to sell anyway and teh country is awash with hay now. Might be a bettet market for haylage for the horsey crowd.

Maybe your right to wrap it but you have to consider it's twice the price to bale including the plastic so hard to know as usually they sell for similar money.
    A lot of Hay on donedeal now after last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Sami23 wrote:
    Fair play but how was it fit to bale yesterday when it was only cut on Monday

Didn't get hay on thst, but it is good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

About halfway through baling now and it’s in good form. 670 bales so far

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

squinn2912 wrote: »
    About halfway through baling now and it’s in good form. 670 bales so far
    You’ll flood the market you hore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    You’ll flood the market you hore

Hahaha relax your ass they’re square! 1000 bales great wee let out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Hahaha relax your ass they’re square! 1000 bales great wee let out

You’ll deprive the market ya hore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

There is a savage amount of hay being baled. Seems like everyone is at it.

Advertisement