Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

_blaaz wrote: »
    Why dont lads just get it transported via CIE.?

How exactly would you go about arranging the like? It's something I've never considered and I wouldn't know where to start tbh.

As for the straddle stones I never heard of them being used locally until I observed the setup above during a trip to Bunratty castle. The days of cocks and pikes of hay were before my time but the auld fella and neighbours often told me about the process. I often heard Dad on about making a "tripod" type structure out of sticks and twine upon which the grass would be loosely built to get it off the ground and allow the air to circulate and dry it quicker especially in bad weather. When the pikes of hay were being built they'd cut bushes and branches and build the hay on top of this base to keep it off the ground. These branches would dry out over the winter and would have be used as tinder to light the fire, it always amazes me how little was wasted by the older generations, everything had a purpose and end use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

How exactly would you go about arranging the like? It's something I've never considered and I wouldn't know where to start tbh.

Contact CIE....i pass empthy timber lorries at train depot every weekend

Ive a mate who used work for CIE,and said to me,they used come down from.mayo late at night twice a week loaded with timber to waterford city....no reason imo,these cant return trip with hay

• Registered Users Posts: 20,169 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Just wondering did ye get it all sold/saved, and what sort of money around the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

2smiggy wrote: »
    Just wondering did ye get it all sold/saved, and what sort of money around the country ?

Yeah got mine baled - did 1 field round and the other square as thought it wasn't fully fit to round bale.

By jesus there's some difference bringing them in work wise and time wise.
    Think I learned my lesson again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yea got mine. A 5.5 acre field yielded 75 rounds I keep this for a hay meadow every year. I got it done in five days. A 4.5 acre yielded 64 hayledge bales cut the same time but needed just one more day which I was never going to get.

I agree with ppl there is an amount of hay in the country but alot of it got some rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

I'm finding it hard to sell mine. Have gone from €25 to €20 per bale on Donedeal and no takers. Stuck it in the shed yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Square baled an acre last night. Down since last Wednesday week. Only saw the haybob half an hour before the baler. (Forgot I’d even cut it) 172 bales, of lovely stuff, couldn’t believe it was so fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Tileman

Sold 80 bales to regular customer for 23 a bale off the girls. Higher than average price but sold it to him for 25 last year then it was making 30€ elsewhere.
    Never saw as much hay made around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Contact CIE....i pass empthy timber lorries at train depot every weekend

Ive a mate who used work for CIE,and said to me,they used come down from.mayo late at night twice a week loaded with timber to waterford city....no reason imo,these cant return trip with hay

Are they still running I taught when they lost the Guinness contract the road freight went ,

ABlur wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to sell mine. Have gone from €25 to €20 per bale on Donedeal and no takers. Stuck it in the shed yesterday.

Not worth selling for anything under €25 imo for the work that goes into saving it.
    I'd keep it if you have storage for it at all.

There's a lad near me who has over 600 round bales for sale and he said he'd rather rent a shed than sell it for €20. Not sure about those sums either though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sami23 wrote: »
    Not worth selling for anything under €25 imo for the work that goes into saving it.

There's a lad near me who has over 600 round bales for sale and he said he'd rather rent a shed than sell it for €20. Not sure about those sums either though.

He might rent a shed and still sell it for €20, more of a demand for straw than hay for feeding nowadays

wrangler wrote: »
    He might rent a shed and still sell it for €20, more of a demand for straw than hay for feeding nowadays

Fair point

ended up selling for €20 , sort of glad, had way too many to store anyway. They are getting bales delivered to west kerry for €30 so there is little room for profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Are they still running I taught when they lost the Guinness contract the road freight went ,

I know i see timber loaded into them anyway.....i cant see why,with a bit of work and tying down hay cant be transported in same bays??

Unless there isnt an platform/suitable unloading spot up the west?

I know i see timber loaded into them anyway.....i cant see why,with a bit of work and tying down hay cant be transported in same bays??

Unless there isnt an platform/suitable unloading spot up the west?

I would imagine the rail would have no interest in moving hay , too many things to go wrong. Just from personal experience

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Sami23 wrote: »

He would need a shed 100X25 where you could stack 4 high. Transport and stacking in shed will cost a minimum of 1.5/bale. If shed cost 1200 until next april he would need 23/bale to break even. There is a lot o fodder around unless we get a really hard winter it hard to see hay exceeding 25/bale next February/March. As well he will need to have away of loading it for anyone that buys a truckload. If you have your own shed and do not need it for anything else it worth storing as it is likely you will get 30/bale within 2-3 years or 25/next spring. But there is no margin in renting a shed to store. Unless he contracted in the Cutting and tedding he still have a nice ball of money at the end of it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would imagine the rail would have no interest in moving hay , too many things to go wrong. Just from personal experience

It is not viable anyway. You have to draw it to and from a railway line, load it and strap it onto railway cars even if Iarnrod Eireann had interest in doing it. The cost of loading and unlaoding twice would negate any haulage price difference if there was one.

Slava Ukrainii

Grass starting to grow up around the bales, saw one farmer this morning rolling it a quarter turn to stop it sticking to the ground.
    Must be plenty now with no shed available

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Grass starting to grow up around the bales, saw one farmer this morning rolling it a quarter turn to stop it sticking to the ground.

Seen sheep eating bales in a field yesterday. Some waste

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would hay be not a lot better than straw in the feeder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

You would imagine it would make sense to at least gather the round bales into a corner of a field with access near a gate,rather than waiting for the grass to grow up around them in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Would hay be not a lot better than straw in the feeder

In a Keenan feeder? Straw is good for the tickle factor in the rumen. I assume that hay wouldn't be as good

• Registered Users Posts: 19,178 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You would imagine it would make sense to at least gather the round bales into a corner of a field with access near a gate,rather than waiting for the grass to grow up around them in the field.

No. They'll start to rot if you put them together in the open. When it rains and they are like that, they don't dry off too well. If they are left in the field (i.e. with space between them) they just dry off

If you put them in a big heap, then yeah the ones on the bottom will be kept ok, but ones on the top and outside will go bad. A lot worse than if they were left out in the open

No. They'll start to rot if you put them together in the open. When it rains and they are like that, they don't dry off too well. If they are left in the field (i.e. with space between them) they just dry off

If you put them in a big heap, then yeah the ones on the bottom will be kept ok, but ones on the top and outside will go bad. A lot worse than if they were left out in the open

Storing outside is not an option if you're selling, there'll be plenty in sheds available during tha winter and customers won't buy poorly stored

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I’m amazed by the number of lads that make hay and then just leave it rot in hell he field

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

he could wrap them now12 wraps plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Great sight to see, was shook down for 240 an acre at the start of year was 200 for silage/grazing ground that I have on a rolling one year lease, landowner wants to sort out a long term lease for 2020, in the autumn, won’t be getting a euro more then 180 a acre plus sfp and if he kicks no issues here I’ll walk away from it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I’m amazed by the number of lads that make hay and then just leave it rot in hell he field

Ye they'd be so particular about baling it without rain and then just leave it there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ye they'd be so particular about baling it without rain and then just leave it there

Has anyone ever left round hay bales outside and seen how they turn out in Jan / Feb?

Remember being in France years ago, and they were feeding bales of hay. The hay was out in the field all winter, snow on top of it. The top few inches looked bad, but after that was perfect.
    Now, different climate and not as much rain so it could be very different here, but just wondering if anyone had any experience of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Has anyone ever left round hay bales outside and seen how they turn out in Jan / Feb?

Remember being in France years ago, and they were feeding bales of hay. The hay was out in the field all winter, snow on top of it. The top few inches looked bad, but after that was perfect.
    Now, different climate and not as much rain so it could be very different here, but just wondering if anyone had any experience of it...

The heavy rain will just roll off bales but it is the sticky damp mucky weather that does any harm

Advertisement