Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭kk.man

Odelay wrote: »
    There is a savage amount of hay being baled. Seems like everyone is at it.

How long is it on the ground...most so called hay in the se either got rain or was baled too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭squinn2912

kk.man wrote: »
    How long is it on the ground...most so called hay in the se either got rain or was baled too quickly.

Anyone that loves punishment. Mine was cut last Tuesday was in good form today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Hahaha relax your ass they’re square! 1000 bales great wee let out

Small squares are great to have

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Anyone that loves punishment. Mine was cut last Tuesday was in good form today

The only square balers around here at at vintage rallies. Loads of round made here but they didn't get 6 days of dry weather and big meadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Young fella near me this evening shed a load from a trailer. Bottom row on edge and two flat above that. Threw the lot into a drain by the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭50HX

All baled up

Love to see hay being made....something very traditional about it

Rarely get weather good enough here for Hay so 2 years on the bounce is great

Good luck to the rest of years with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭older by the day

50HX wrote: »
    All baled up

Love to see hay being made....something very traditional about it

Rarely get weather good enough here for Hay so 2 years on the bounce is great

Good luck to the rest of years with it
    It is nice. It brings us back to nice farming jobs. I got 5 round bales of hay made today and hopefully a load of turf next week. There is more satisfaction in those two days than a June milk check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone get their Hay baled that was cut Monday of this week. Mine still not fit and the best of the weather is behind us I'm afraid ?

Sami23 wrote: »
    Anyone get their Hay baled that was cut Monday of this week. Mine still not fit and the best of the weather is behind us I'm afraid ?

I'm in the same boat...Another day would have done it...I am raging but nothing we do.

I'm in the same boat...Another day would have done it...I am raging but nothing we do.

What's plan now - will you wrap or wait and see what early next week is like

• Advertisement

What's plan now - will you wrap or wait and see what early next week is like

Wrapping today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Neighbour rang me last night to know if I wanted a free load of small bales. Grand, I said. Helped him stack and load them last week and his barn is well full up at this stage. I took them home straight away, fresh out of the baler, never stacked and left them loose in an open shed. Glad to have them.
    What is it about small bales of hay? :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Neighbour rang me last night to know if I wanted a free load of small bales. Grand, I said. Helped him stack and load them last week and his barn is well full up at this stage. I took them home straight away, fresh out of the baler, never stacked and left them loose in an open shed. Glad to have them.

That worked out great!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They have huge flexibility. If I could get them or straw I always like to have 100 of them every 3-4 years. They are handy at any stage where you have an animal or two in the shed. Along with a few kgs of ration it gets you through a week rather than messing with breaking up a round bale. Buy invariably you get tight some spring and feed them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Hardship :D spent the day before yesterday pitching them and got scalded while I was at it.

Hardship :D spent the day before yesterday pitching them and got scalded while I was at it.

I was forking (we say in east Clare ;)) them up last week and the neighbours brother stopped me, "2 at a time" he says. So 2 of us forked them up together. Not a bother. I was keeping an eye on him as we worked, as he's just turned 80. It wasn't me that was getting winded first, I can tell ya.:D

Seriously though, two people forking them in unison is a great job.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sorry Patsy, I'm a sucker for detail.....
    When you said load is that a barrow load, a transport box load, a 10x6 load or a 20x8 load 7 or 8 row high? :D

Either way, fair play to that man. He has heart of Gold. And you must be an equally good neighbour to him.

Wrapping today.

You wouldn't chance leaving it in the hope we get half a day's sunshine next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

2smiggy wrote: »
    anyone use a moisture meter , or could recommend one ? or any handy practise for getting a reasonable accurate method of getting a moisture reading ?

"The old farmers rule of feeling the hay is still practiced, if it's cold to feel it's not fit to bale, warm to feel then it's fit to bale."

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/tips-on-making-top-quality-hay-162055

• Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

savage morning in North Cork this morning. Hopefully will get a few more hours of this sunshine. Have about 15 acres to finish everything off. Should get it done this evening. The better the weather the worse price per bale !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Sami23 wrote:

Will be baling mine today. Was close to good enough yesterday evening but this morning is shining out good so far.
    Was a heavy GLAS THM crop so wanted to give it as much time as possible. Only tedded 3 times so was lucky enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Hay cut Monday evening and some on Tues, looking at all "Say My Name's" weather sites this morning. Blood pressure starting to rise wondering about Saturday's weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I was forking (we say in east Clare ) them up last week and the neighbours brother stopped me, "2 at a time" he says. So 2 of us forked them up together. Not a bother. .

I thought he was a real slave driver and wanted you to pike (as we say in West Limerick) 2 bales at a time :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

You wouldn't chance leaving it in the hope we get half a day's sunshine next few days

I’m in the same boat myself. Was going to wrap as Haylage but yesterday was a savage day. Almost perfect. Another day and I was grand. Meant to get cloudy in midlands for afternoon.
    As usual all the weather forecasts giving different versions for coming days.

MT and met office giving ok for Monday Tuesday but met eireann giving more rain.

Muckit wrote: »
    Sorry Patsy, I'm a sucker for detail.....
    When you said load is that a barrow load, a transport box load, a 10x6 load or a 20x8 load 7 or 8 row high? :D

Either way, fair play to that man. He has heart of Gold. And you must be an equally good neighbour to him.

Oh, big tractor trailer and as high as we could fork them. I have a bad back and once I don't overdo things it doesnt give me trouble. We even had other lads bringing the bales in near the trailer and we would stand there just forking away. Super job.
    As for good neighbours, I often think it goes back to the old days when people always helped each other out. 'Meitheal' I think they called it.

Hay cut Monday evening and some on Tues, looking at all "Say My Name's" weather sites this morning. Blood pressure starting to rise wondering about Saturday's weather.

Will it be fit to bale today.
    Very cloudy in Galway this morning so hopefully it will improve as day goes on.
    Missed weather at 9 last night - anyone see what they said about today

Whats the going rate to bale small bales?

Safe and sorry springs to mind....was never much of a gambler.
    I will make hay in the middle of one field that is not too heavy.
    I could be proved wrong.

Oh, big tractor trailer and as high as we could fork them. I have a bad back and once I don't overdo things it doesnt give me trouble. We even had other lads bringing the bales in near the trailer and we would stand there just forking away. Super job.
    As for good neighbours, I often think it goes back to the old days when people always helped each other out. 'Meitheal' I think they called it.

Meitheal oibre yep that’s an Irish term for gathering together to work. Many hands make light work type thing. Lovely phrase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hope lads have it lifted, grass very wet here from early morning drizzle.

Advertisement