Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭50HX

Sami23 wrote: »
    Will you not try for Hay. No rain forecast after today till next Sunday at least

I will try alright...will have to leave till Tuesday before first turn as it's a soft enough field

Sprayed and cleaned out last year and gave it a good coat of slurry in March

Nice steamy stuff would be ideal for drying off the cows at weaning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

50HX wrote: »
    I will try alright...will have to leave till Tuesday before first turn as it's a soft enough field

Sprayed and cleaned out last year and gave it a good coat of slurry in March

Nice steamy stuff would be ideal for drying off the cows at weaning

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Whats the cost of turning hay with a haybob ,is it per acre or hour ,thanks in advance.

Don't let anyone go near your hay with a hay bob bar to rake it up at the end. Lely Lotus 300 here or tedder for bigger contractors are the only way to save hay. The haybob rolls back the hay into knots the tedder lifts and shakes it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Don't let anyone go near your hay with a hay bob bar to rake it up at the end. Lely Lotus 300 here or tedder for bigger contractors are the only way to save hay. The haybob rolls back the hay into knots the tedder lifts and shakes it out.

Agreed lely lotus better job have haybob myself done a bit for a neighbour last week as he was stuck ,he wanted to pay me there and then wanted to be fair to the man as regards rate.Never had much of a problem with knoting hay once you take your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

Think haybobs are fine and do near enough as good as a Tedder once it’s set right and you don’t go too fast for the crop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

we use a 4 rotor tedder for shaking it out, and a haybob for rowing it up. our own equipment, plus our own baler. have about 70 acres to do this week , hopefully starting sometime this afternoon/evening :)

The week ahead is forecast to be dry but cloudy and not as hot as last week.

Do ye think it will good enough to get hay or would we need more sun for Hay

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think the week is good enough to get hay. Northern areas less so.
    Sun breaking out here now in Cork, will mow in the afternoon. More than likely will be dry silage bales, I usually do. But I'll bale Wed/Thur, if it got a turn everyday it would be hay by Sat def.
    20C+ and low humidity according to Cranium.

anyone use a moisture meter , or could recommend one ? or any handy practise for getting a reasonable accurate method of getting a moisture reading ?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

2smiggy wrote: »
    anyone use a moisture meter , or could recommend one ? or any handy practise for getting a reasonable accurate method of getting a moisture reading ?

Could you take a sample, weight it and then put it in microwave for 30 seconds, weight it again. Repeat until weight doe not change. This would give you a DM%?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

2smiggy wrote: »
    If the grass is fairly stemmy if the knuckles on the grass are dried out your good to go. If it’s grassy green make sure to give it all the drying you can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

I'm near Macroom and looking at the forecast I'm tempted to cut mine this evening after work, not sure if we're going to get the sun though? I'm at work at the moment and it's dull and quite cold. I'd be hoping to mow today and bale on Saturday. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭somofagun

Well that was an eventful hay making process.
    Left work Friday afternoon to go home and turn the hay with the haybob which was all done in a couple of hours. It started to get into large clumps/knots so i would get out and shake these out the best i could. Had everything lined up for Saturday, man was coming at 11:00am to row up and baler was to come at 12:00.
    Was a bright warm Saturday morning so at 10:00 i went out to start and give it a final turn before it was to be rake up and just as i got into the field i heard the big rumble of thunder and a few minutes later it was raining. Ole man come out to me and told me to catch myself on his words were "who in under of god would be turning hay in the rain" Me and him had words and it ended up that he was threatening to lock all the machinery in the shed if i dared to make small bales.
    Man came to row it up and i made him make the row suitable for the wee baler, by this stage it had got a couple of showers of rain. I went through it and it and some bits were dried well and others didn't feel right and some bits of grass were as green as the day they were cut (mowed the Tuesday before).
    At this staged the ole man was hoppin mad and went to the house in a huff, so the baler arrived and I explained to him i wasn't sure about so he threw out a couple of bales. They were too heavy be it they were from a row under trees but i don't think it would have mattered much. The heat in the afternoon was high and the sun was shinning but I ended up round baling it Saturday evening and the baler was about half way through it and the skys just opened for 5-10mins and soaked the whole thing, although the rain will probably help the hay in the wrapped bales
    On the one hand i thought maybe the ole man was right as we would have still been lifting bales to get them in the shed but if i hadn't his constant negative attitude on the whole thing i would probably left it in the rows until tommorow/wednesday and just tried again.
    Anyway its done now and a few lessons learned, if any of want good quality haylage drop me a message

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

somofagun wrote: »
    Left work Friday afternoon to go home and turn the hay with the haybob which was all done in a couple of hours. It started to get into large clumps/knots so i would get out and shake these out the best i could. Had everything lined up for Saturday, man was coming at 11:00am to row up and baler was to come at 12:00.
    Was a bright warm Saturday morning so at 10:00 i went out to start and give it a final turn before it was to be rake up and just as i got into the field i heard the big rumble of thunder and a few minutes later it was raining. Ole man come out to me and told me to catch myself on his words were "who in under of god would be turning hay in the rain" Me and him had words and it ended up that he was threatening to lock all the machinery in the shed if i dared to make small bales.
    Man came to row it up and i made him make the row suitable for the wee baler, by this stage it had got a couple of showers of rain. I went through it and it and some bits were dried well and others didn't feel right and some bits of grass were as green as the day they were cut (mowed the Tuesday before).
    At this staged the ole man was hoppin mad and went to the house in a huff, so the baler arrived and I explained to him i wasn't sure about so he threw out a couple of bales. They were too heavy be it they were from a row under trees but i don't think it would have mattered much. The heat in the afternoon was high and the sun was shinning but I ended up round baling it Saturday evening and the baler was about half way through it and the skys just opened for 5-10mins and soaked the whole thing, although the rain will probably help the hay in the wrapped bales
    On the one hand i thought maybe the ole man was right as we would have still been lifting bales to get them in the shed but if i hadn't his constant negative attitude on the whole thing i would probably left it in the rows until tommorow/wednesday and just tried again.
    Anyway its done now and a few lessons learned, if any of want good quality haylage drop me a message

Listen to the old man.........he’s a lot longer makin hay than you....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Amd that folks is why god invented silage !

Seriously though, arguing and fighting over this stuff is just a waste of effort. Hay takes experience, if you can’t work well together maybe just make silage and go for a pint with him and talk about football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

getting contractor to tedd mine out today only job I reckon too many lumps in it after the haybob, bale tomorrow hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Hay mowed now wont turn it till Wednesday seems quiet heavy fingers crossed

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Hay mowed now wont turn it till Wednesday seems quiet heavy fingers crossed

Why not turn it tomorrow ?

Sami23 wrote:
    Why not turn it tomorrow ?

Twill be easier turn it for one needs to die back a good bit. We are short a guy in work tommorow so cant get it off anyway

Week on the ground and turned every second day will have it fit next weekend

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Twill be easier turn it for one needs to die back a good bit. We are short a guy in work tommorow so cant get it off anyway

Week on the ground and turned every second day will have it fit next weekend

Should hold dry till Sunday anyway looking at various forecasts so fingers crossed and good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Should hold dry till Sunday anyway looking at various forecasts so fingers crossed and good luck
    i am worried about Friday

Is it not just a bit dodgy for the north on Friday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Is it not just a bit dodgy for the north on Friday ?
    It is but ya never know. Mine is knocked this morning anyways, that's the only day I am worried about.

Baling 6 acres now that was cut Monday night. Savage heavy stuff. Turning another 8 acres that was cut Wednesday. Coming in quick too

79 bales off 6 acres

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You have to go in a very low gear with a haybob with PTO at high revs otherwise it'll just roll it up in lumps.
    Don't think they were ever meant for heavy crops

wrangler wrote:
    You have to go in a very low gear with a haybob with PTO at high revs otherwise it'll just roll it up in lumps. Don't think they were ever meant for heavy crops

Yes in one the crops they were meant for were a lot lighter than now
    Very slow through the first time and wheels and tines at the correct setting

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Teddy 1234

What price do ye reckon rounds bales of Hay are worth? Anyone selling any?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Teddy 1234 wrote: »
    What price do ye reckon rounds bales of Hay are worth? Anyone selling any?

There’s a website called DoneDeal......it gives a good indication of the price of everything..

• Advertisement

Amazing the amount of people who don't give a rough idea of their location on done deal. Sort of foolish when selling something like hay

Advertisement