Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Temptation got the better of me. Just finishing knocking 12 acres

Good luck. Looks like a serious belt of heat from thursday to sunday so I'd say you'll be sound

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭obi604

Galway races.

Sure this is not normally at end of July?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Reggie. wrote: »
    Good luck. Looks like a serious belt of heat from thursday to sunday so I'd say you'll be sound
    Thanks for the luck.
    Half of it didn't get feet this year, but is grand and clean. Bit calmer than last year with 35 acres down and God I was sick of the haybob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

Nitrogen doesn’t matter a damn with hay

It does if your trying to save it in a hurry . Very green hay with lots of nitrogen will take longer to turn into hay. Grand if the weather is good for the week but if it was the usual 3 good days it does make an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Tileman wrote: »
    Everything thing too light around here but weather looks good I’d you had something fit. Once there wasn’t too much nitrogen in it

Surely a light crop would be a good candidate for making hay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Walked the organic silage crop today (yesterday). It would make lovely hay. If a lad had a nice crop and wanted hay, I'd be cutting now and not waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Nitrogen doesn’t matter a damn with hay

Yes it does. It will be much harder to make proper hay that got lots of N.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Neighbour wants me to mow his meadows for hay tomorrow.

So we’re goin to get 2 weeks of endless rain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

Cutting 10 acres today for hay. Don’t mind wrapping it in a few days if the weather changes. It will be nice to have enough saved for the year Incase the weather is brutal for the rest of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Aravo

Not thinking of hay here yet, will get the pit made first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭endainoz

If the crop is recently reseeded and has mostly ryegrass it'll be hard to make hay out of it. If it's an older pasture with older grasses like Timothy etc, hay should be easier. So I've heard anyway, I don't make much hay. But it would make sense as ryegrass is nitrogen hungry and therefore greener so would take longer to save.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Weather looking good out to early next week at least, with some very hot days at the end of this week. It looks to be ideal hay weather if ya have the grass for it and are ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

Knocked first silage field here today, 8 acres, shorter, lighter crop than usual but heading out and started to fall after the wind at the weekend. Going for hay, hope it works out, find that if i wrap and have to make haylage the cattle dont fancy it...
    Cut with disk mower this eve, will do first turn on Wed all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In many ways we don't get to decide when to cut hay in this country. We're lucky get one chance per year, a miracle if we get two, but then I live in West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭alps

Any sign of the Coolmore mowers on the move yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

Water John wrote: »
    In many ways we don't get to decide when to cut hay in this country. We're lucky get one chance per year, a miracle if we get two, but then I live in West Cork.

I agree with you. Sometimes it's better go for a lighter crop well saved... Bird in the hand and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Omallep2

Hope folks are keeping well. What's good quality small squares selling for off the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Omallep2 wrote: »
    Hope folks are keeping well. What's good quality small squares selling for off the field?

Would doubt if many are made yet as grass would only be knocked a couple of days at most.

Would doubt if many are made yet as grass would only be knocked a couple of days at most.

Hay made in the Midlands here atm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

ready to square bale here , its fit but going to leave it till tomorrow asi will have more time

3.50 a bale or its not leaving the field

Sold May 2019 hay to equine delivered for €5 a square bale minimum 30 delivered within 20 mile limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Tileman wrote: »
    It does if your trying to save it in a hurry . Very green hay with lots of nitrogen will take longer to turn into hay. Grand if the weather is good for the week but if it was the usual 3 good days it does make an impact.

It also has a propensity to heat in the bale no matter how well saved.

ready to square bale here , its fit but going to leave it till tomorrow asi will have more time

Sold May 2019 hay to equine delivered for €5 a square bale minimum 30 delivered within 20 mile limit

I'll give ya €2 a bale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Omallep2 wrote: »

Keep an eye on DD, the balers won't have the first round of the field baled, and the adds will be up.

Hold up........ rain forecasted for tuesday in the midlands. Let the panic begin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Hold up........ rain forecasted for tuesday in the midlands. Let the panic begin

I have a new role of tama edge to edge in the round baler and 8 rolls of twine for the square baler

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You get wetter from your sweat compared to the rain you will get.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Would you lend him a can of Lynks Africa so

Now now.....positive thoughts Bass

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Keep an eye on DD, the balers won't have the first round of the field baled, and the adds will be up.

At least the "saved without any rain" bit in the ads will actually be true this year.

Savage drying today between the wind and the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Did you sell that hay lately?

Advertisement