Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mike_cork wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/swinggate-maria-bailey-facing-growing-calls-from-within-fine-gael-not-to-run-in-next-general-election-38357881.html

A few other FG members now saying publicly and privately that Bailey has to go (at the next election)-see above article. But as it's Ireland there's the usual "she's the real victim" people at work. Her losing her Dad is tragic...But that does not take away from her attempted fraud.

"Others defended Ms Bailey. Fine Gael senator Gabrielle McFadden said: "I think she has had enough. I think we should be putting our arms around her and looking out for her and allow her to make her own decision. I feel that people should be looking after their own seats and let Maria Bailey look after her own."

Fine Gael senator Joe O'Reilly added: "I wouldn't see that it should be taken any further. I think we should get closure. She has gone through a lot of personal suffering and just lost her dad."
    She is absolute toast politically and there have been more than a few hints that is the case. Given all the attention she may well decide to pursue other avenues at the end of this Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Floppybits

is_that_so wrote: »
    She is absolute toast politically and there have been more than a few hints that is the case. Given all the attention she may well decide to pursue other avenues at the end of this Dail.

She might go back to Aer Lingus.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

Unfortunately for FG, MB won’t be the story from here on in. It will be the poor handling of it, the lack of leadership and principle, the blatant attempt to bury the ‘internal investigation’ on Boris day, the protection of other party members and a total disconnect from the public mood on this issue.

Charmeleon wrote: »
    Unfortunately for FG, MB won’t be the story from here on in. It will be the poor handling of it, the lack of leadership and principle, the blatant attempt to bury the ‘internal investigation’ on Boris day, the protection of other party members and a total disconnect from the public mood on this issue.
    Public mood is a fleeting thing and nobody come election day will remember it was Boris Day. It may switch voters but all political entities have similar weak points. It'll still be FF v FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You would have to wonder is it genuine incompetence or arrogance that gave Leo the impression that he could pull a fast one on the electorate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Agreed I think it's now a matter of how she will exit-Ideally FG would want her to hang around until the next general where she would then either not run or be moved into the Seanad etc Option 2 is the indo release more dirt (im thinking the video) and she gets turfed out of the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Charmeleon wrote: »
    Public mood is a fleeting thing and nobody come election day will remember it was Boris Day. It may switch voters but all political entities have similar weak points. It'll still be FF v FG.
    Everyone will remember it was Boris day. Everyone is talking about the distain FG treated voters with.
    Everyone is talking about how incompetent Leo is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

mike_cork wrote:
    "Others defended Ms Bailey. Fine Gael senator Gabrielle McFadden said: "I think she has had enough. I think we should be putting our arms around her and looking out for her and allow her to make her own decision. I feel that people should be looking after their own seats and let Maria Bailey look after her own."

McFadden is an idiot and a serial band wagon jumper. The only reason she got into the Dail was on the death of her sister Nikki claiming Nikki's dying wish was for her to take the seat. Then appointed to the Seanad by the Mayo moron when she lost the seat in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

D7b3OkLXoAAH_QB.jpg

so do insurance fraudsters.

This thing will be the downfall of him and FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

rob316 wrote: »
    D7b3OkLXoAAH_QB.jpg

so do insurance fraudsters.

This thing will be the downfall of him and FG.

He's to arrogant to realise it.

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/swinggate-maria-bailey-facing-growing-calls-from-within-fine-gael-not-to-run-in-next-general-election-38357881.html

A few other FG members now saying publicly and privately that Bailey has to go (at the next election)-see above article. But as it's Ireland there's the usual "she's the real victim" people at work. Her losing her Dad is tragic...But that does not take away from her attempted fraud.

Fine Gael senator Joe O'Reilly added: "I wouldn't see that it should be taken any further. I think we should get closure. She has gone through a lot of personal suffering and just lost her dad."

Yeap that's the agenda FG spin HQ have instructed the media to go with now, "she lost her dad". So what. It doesn't excuse fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ah come on now, we've been hearing about how public mood is fleeting now for almost 8 weeks, and if people think it won't be remembered in this age of social media, they're being naive or disingenuous.

Personally I don't think it matters anymore when or if she does go, leo mishandled the whole thing from the off.

No one will tell me with a straight face that this wasn't all about protecting something bigger (Madigans yet to be revealed role)

There's no way Leo put his neck, and the neck of all the whole party on the line just to insulate a nobody TD that most (I certainly didn't) of us ever heard of before.

The first I took any notice of Maria's role in FG was when she fell off a swing and tried to shake down a private business for up to 60k.

Hardly a ringing endorsement of your political capabilities or achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Floppybits

You would have to wonder is it genuine incompetence or arrogance that gave Leo the impression that he could pull a fast one on the electorate?

Pure arrogance but it is our own fault. As long as they keep getting away treating the public like crap they will just become more blatant and arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

486722.JPG
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Bit of both but more the latter. These type of stunts have been pulled before. Social media and information sharing has made more people tuned in.

I'm surprised Leo displayed such a lack of self awareness. People were saying for weeks here that he would try and bury the investigation on a big news day and low and behold.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Rats abandoning a sinking ship.
    Really not that dramatic at all. Drawing a line between themselves and a scenario they did not cause. There are TDs on all sides who are respected in their local areas but as many of them have learnt voters can be fickle, intemperate and full of self-righteousness. TDs need to keep on their right side.
    Pesky electorate, expecting a little ethics from their politicians and political leaders wha?

ABFG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Yeap that's the agenda FG spin HQ have instructed the media to go with now, "she lost her dad". So what. It doesn't excuse fraud.

Everyone here is a Saint when they die. Family dysnasties tend to live on. Think Cowens, Flynns in Mayo, Kenny etc. JB had a very chequered history in politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Arrogance imo. FG come across hugely arrogant in general. There is very few if any FG TD's that display any level of humility

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Quite telling that the 2 loudest voices for letting MB soldier on, are basically appointees rather than elected members of the Oireachtas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

tototoe wrote: »
    Arrogance imo. FG come across hugely arrogant in general. There is very few if any FG TD's that display any level of humility

The elitist snob Varadkar is for me the least likable Taoiseach I can remember. Enda was just a puppet with no character but this guy is awful, nothing redeeming about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

is that so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

kenmc wrote: »
    is that so?
    The arrogance is stunning. It boils down to "we will do what we want because the electorate are a bit thick".

The options might be short on the ground but they are there.

ABFG.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Macdarack wrote: »
    Run the Aer Lingus claim by me again?
    http://highcourtsearch.courts.ie/hcslive/case_detail.show?sessionID=271735014&yearNo=2004&recordNo=8778&processType=P
    BAILEY -V- AER LINGUS LTD 2004/8778 P
    Issue Date: 28/05/2004

Same year she got married. That's impressive multi-tasking.
    In the High Court too, where Personal Injury claims for more than €60,000 are heard.
    It was settled out of court in the end, but even if it was a legit case, it's irrelevant, and my point still stands.
    Her refusal to comment on it says a fair bit imo.

As for THIS:
    Others defended Ms Bailey. Fine Gael senator Gabrielle McFadden said: "I think she has had enough. I think we should be putting our arms around her and looking out for her and allow her to make her own decision. I feel that people should be looking after their own seats and let Maria Bailey look after her own."
    By all means help her grieve, make it easier for her, but don't use her fathers death as a excuse for her not receive appropriate punishment. McFadden can put her arms around her, but no need to do it in public other than attempting to gain public sympathy. She has my sympathy, but it does not prevent me from refusing to vote FG again while she is employed by the party. Same with Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭jmreire

In the 6 weeks or so during the next election canvassing season, you can be damn sure that anyone who receives their insurance quote during this time will think of Marie and FG and not in a good way. And that's not counting all who have received their quotes throughout the year, or due to get them in the near future. There cannot be a motorist ( or business ) in the Country who has not been screwed with monumental insurance increases since 2015.:mad:

tototoe wrote: »

Iv'e noticed this also. Where does this come from? Is it a sense of entitlement that they where born into or is it something they develop within the organisation. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Iv'e noticed this also. Where does this come from? Is it a sense of entitlement that they where born into or is it something they develop within the organisation. :confused:

I’m told that some monkeys, the best climbers, when the reach the fruit on the higher branches of the tree feed well and when full themselves they then throw some of the fruit down.
    Not to the other monkeys but at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Some say they drop it down after digesting it first.

Pesky electorate, expecting a little ethics from their politicians and political leaders wha?

ABFG.
    It'll be AB something for some voters followed by a long whinge all the way through the next Dail about how bad that AB turned out to be!

jmreire wrote: »
    In the 6 weeks or so during the next election canvassing season, you can be damn sure that anyone who receives their insurance quote during this time will think of Marie and FG and not in a good way. And that's not counting all who have received their quotes throughout the year, or due to get them in the near future. There cannot be a motorist ( or business ) in the Country who has not been screwed with monumental insurance increases since 2015.:mad:
    But it's not a negative that any other political entities can exploit. They've all dirtied their bibs over the last decade or so. Where is that vote going to go anyway? Their only real option is FF.

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    is that so?
    Indeed. I knew it looked better with the ?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement