Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

is_that_so wrote: »
    O'Dowd is just making sure the local constituency knows his views.

As is Leo. Letting the Country know his.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Charmeleon wrote: »
    It’s their job to detect crime, including fraud. Are you suggesting they don’t know what they are talking about?
    Nope, it's not their remit to decide if there is an answerable case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

O'Dowd is just making sure the local constituency knows his views.

Talking of which, wasn't there a bit of a kerfuffle in Bailey's local constituency amongst local party members about Maria not being turfed out of the party.

givyjoe wrote: »
    They do decide what to investigate, and whether or not to prepare a file for the DPP. What was stated here earlier, was that an exaggerated claim is essentially the same as a false claim, both being fraud. I don't see how it could view it any other way.
    I'm talking about legal ramifications, which they can't affect in any way.

Talking of which, wasn't there a bit of a kerfuffle in Bailey's local constituency amongst local party members about Maria not being turfed out of the party.
    No idea. It's a political call and one that they are clearly not going with at present. Even O'Dowd suggested he would not favour that route. However, the hint has been put out there about not running again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well Maria seems to have changed her tune on who gets to judge her case. This is from her statement last week where she herself became the judge
    it would be unlikely that a court would conclude that there was any attempt to mislead on my part

And this is from the Sean o'Rourke car crash
    SOR: Just clarify one thing. Did you have something in each hand when this happened?

MB: That would have been a matter for the judge to adjudicate on and I'm not opening a trial here.

SOR: It's a legitimate question to ask you. You came here to talk about this whole case and why you dropped it so the question of a judge doesn't arise.

MB: It does and I'll tell you why it does matter because I believe in our judicial system in this country and I believe the proper place for that is the Four Courts.

And
    SOR: Nobody is questioning whether you were hurt. The question is where does the responsibility lie?

MB: That is for a judge. Our judicial system is in the Four Courts. It is not judge, jury and execution by the media. Who are journalists accountable to? I am accountable to the people. They will make their own decision.

For someone who felt strongly that the judicary should be the ones to adjudicate she soon changed her tune when she adjucicated on her own case by saying "it would be unlikely that a court would conclude that there was any attempt to mislead on my part".

She wants her cake and she wants to eat it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mike_cork wrote: »
    Fergus O'Dowd has gone on radio this morning to say Bailey should not run for FG in the next election

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1155762872833781761

It should not be a choice for Bailey at all.
    The party hierarchy should make that decision based on the “values” that the party holds dear.
    Leo himself said that he only joined Fine Gael because of their values.
    These “values” seem to have diminished or become less important since.

The party hierarchy should make that decision based on the “values” that the party holds dear.
    If she lost the whip they could conceivably lose a vote. Politically speaking not a good call. Deselection may be considered as an option but that won't happen for a while anyway. The only things that work for them is an extremely unlikely resignation or she declines to run in the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Realpolitik coming into effect here.
    If FG had a bigger majority I'd be pretty confident Bailey would be on the receiving end of a harsher punishment.
    But the party need her vote :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Gardai do not decide if a case goes to court no matter what they think.
    But you are happy for Leo to decide what's fraud and what isn't. The "report" should be given to the Gardaí to investigate and pass the file to the DPP to decide if an offence has been committed or not.

• Advertisement

But you are happy for Leo to decide what's fraud and what isn't. The "report" should be given to the Gardaí to investigate and pass the file to the DPP to decide if an offence has been committed or not.
    Gardai would have to do their own investigating anyway. Even if they did pass on the report, with her withdrawal I can't see a case that can be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I think you will get good money on _Kaiser_ :P

Nope.. I can't take credit/blame for this one :D

Besides, I'm sure FG's/Leo's team of Social Media Monitors have read my contributions here already.

*Hi guys! - waves* :p

If FG had a bigger majority I'd be pretty confident Bailey would be on the receiving end of a harsher punishment.

Indeed. Had this been the 2011 government she'd have been gone with the report permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Besides, I'm sure FG's/Leo's team of Social Media Monitors have read my contributions here already.

Highly doubtful being honest. Deluded sense of importance to think the leader of the country is concerned about what anonymous people on message boards are posting.

Indeed. Had this been the 2011 government she'd have been gone with the report permanently.

Why though?

Haven't you earlier said that in your opinion, what she did was neither fraudulent nor against the law?

What does it matter if it was 2011 or 2111, wrong is wrong.

Highly doubtful being honest. Deluded sense of importance to think the leader of the country is concerned about what anonymous people on message boards are posting.

Fail.

Varadkar 'suggested creating anonymous accounts online to make positive comments on news'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No getting away from the 20k attempted shakedown and the lies she told in S.O.R.
    So now FG have a confirmed liar and fraudster on government benches, oh and Alan Farrell aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Those anonymous people on message boards are also known as voters.

The only outstanding question is- Will she survive until the next election? *If* the Indo keep the pressure up for a little longer and/or have some dirt to unleash you'd imagine she's gone. Hard to know either way what will happen...But would love to be in Indo HQ to see if they've anything else in their armoury. Boards would crash if the video was released :D

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Yup!
    And this whole mess has inspired me to finally register to vote. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The only outstanding question is- Will she survive until the next election? *If* the Indo keep the pressure up for a little longer and/or have some dirt to unleash you'd imagine she's gone. Hard to know either way what will happen...But would love to be in Indo HQ to see if they've anything else in their armoury. Boards would crash *if* the video was released :D

When hopefully lol

I get the feeling Indo HQ have a lot more on Bailey and what went on that night

Drip drip and space it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

If she lost the whip they could conceivably lose a vote. Politically speaking not a good call. Deselection may be considered as an option but that won't happen for a while anyway. The only things that work for them is an extremely unlikely resignation or she declines to run in the next GE.

WTF. Thats the way any well functioning democracy should run. Accountability and ethical standards should be to the forefront. Actions have consequences and that should be the key message. It should make public servants think twice before they initiate scams like this or other forms of deception.

If the Government falls so be it and the people will decide whether they deserve another term. FG have not been doing there job well overall and know they will be on the opposition benches when the next GE happens.

ChikiChiki wrote:
    If the Government falls so be it and the people will decide whether they deserve another term. FG have not been doing there job well overall and know they will be on the opposition benches when the next GE happens.

Only 43 per cent believe Varadkar is handling Brexit well according to an article in yesterday's Indo based on a recent poll .

With rising insurance premiums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Only 43 per cent believe Varadkar is handling Brexit well according to an article in yesterday's Indo based on a recent poll .

Surprisingly, Brexit handling in my opinion is the only thing Leo and FG are doing well! My strong dislike for their antics does not have me completly beyond reason.:D

ChikiChiki wrote:
    Surprisingly, Brexit handling in my opinion is the only thing Leo and FG are doing well! My strong dislike for their antics does not have me completly beyond reason.

I think Simon is handling it better tbh, Leo is winding up the wrong people. We still need the UK when all this Brexit bs is dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

ArrBee wrote: »
    Yup!
    And this whole mess has inspired me to finally register to vote. :)

This is a key outcome of this whole mess I think - I relocated to Dublin years ago, and never got around to changing my voting address. If I could make it home to vote I would.

But now, after this I will go out of my way to change my address just to vote against FG. They've really ruined their credibility , she should have stood down immediately after the SOR interview.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    When hopefully lol

I get the feeling Indo HQ have a lot more on Bailey and what went on that night

Drip drip and space it out

I said the same thing over the weekend, and that was before the 20K article that came out on Sun.
    I'd say expect more damage to come *grabs popcorn*

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Had they dealt with the problem the way they should have then they would probably have gained votes in an election. This way they are sure to lose votes.

They may need her vote in the short term but it will cost them in the long term.

• Advertisement

They may need her vote in the short term but it will cost them in the long term.

They don't need her vote in the short term either, as it suits FF to keep FG in place till after Brexit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement