Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The arrogance is stunning. It boils down to "we will do what we want because the electorate are a bit thick".

The options might be short on the ground but they are there.

ABFG.
    Which means FF or possibly Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uGBRN5bUkU

The famous car crash interview

The delusion is strong with her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

is_that_so wrote: »
    Pesky electorate, expecting a little ethics from their politicians and political leaders wha?

ABFG.
    It'll be AB something for some voters followed by a long whinge all the way through the next Dail about how bad that AB turned out to be!
    Oh, there's that FG arrogance again, slagging off the voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,168 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Which means FF or possibly Labour.

If FF elements insist on undermining our Brexit stance they don't have a hope in a snap election imo. No wonder Martin moved quickly on the latest Tweetgate in FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I find it astounding that FG seem to have such a tin-ear to this with voters. I don't think any politicians are saints, but I do expect them to at least pretend to adhere to their "brand credentials". Leo has let this progress from the venal greed of one, clearly very stupid, no-name TD to a fundamental question about his political judgement. He was given a series of good opportunities to cast her to the wind, but stuck with her each time.

I note the suggestion that some have made that maybe Maria has some really good dirt on the party that would poleaxe the careers of some senior members. While I think this is a possible explanation, I suspect cock-up is more likely than conspiracy and it's simply because Leo's also an idiot and doesn't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

boombang wrote: »
    I find it astounding that FG seem to have such a tin-ear to this with voters. I don't think any politicians are saints, but I do expect them to at least pretend to adhere to their "brand credentials". Leo has let this progress from the venal greed of one, clearly very stupid, no-name TD to a fundamental question about his political judgement. He was given a series of good opportunities to cast her to the wind, but stuck with her each time.

I note the suggestion that some have made that maybe Maria has some really good dirt on the party that would poleaxe the careers of some senior members. While I think this is a possible explanation, I suspect cock-up is more likely than conspiracy and it's simply because Leo's also an idiot and doesn't get it.

This has to be one of the most annoying things for me. The brazenness of FG, not even attempting to hide some of their crap.

I would prefer they don't hide it of course, but I'm sure there is plenty that they do.

Ende was the worst for it.

If FF elements insist on undermining our Brexit stance they don't have a hope in a snap election imo. No wonder Martin moved quickly on the latest Tweetgate in FF.
    There are plenty of misstep opportunities ahead for all politicians. Whatever people say about the MB saga, Brexit is the big one. Navigate our way past it into calmer waters and voters may even be in a more forgiving mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

As it stands I think the general public don't really care about Brexit,or in a lot of cases, the famous back stop. The consequences might change that, but I hear absolutely no talk if Brexit at all. People are burned from it.

If Brexit does go tits up for Ireland, it will be the governing parties that will suffer imo. Imagine being the party that puts a border back between Ireland and the north.

tototoe wrote: »
    As it stands I think the general public don't really care about Brexit,or in a lot of cases, the famous back stop. The consequences might change that, but I hear absolutely no talk if Brexit at all. People are burned from it.

If Brexit does go tits up for Ireland, it will be the governing parties that will suffer imo. Imagine being the party that puts a border back between Ireland and the north.
    Brexit has been a fairy tale for 3 years and we are tired of it. I think it's imminent arrival will focus minds a lot more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

You would have to wonder whether Bailey will do any press whatsoever before the next General Election. She is pretty good at the hide-and-seek too.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    486722.JPG
    :)

The other parties should make posters from this image and plaster them all over the country :D

The next General Election will be a classic!

mike_cork wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/swinggate-maria-bailey-facing-growing-calls-from-within-fine-gael-not-to-run-in-next-general-election-38357881.html

A few other FG members now saying publicly and privately that Bailey has to go (at the next election)-see above article. But as it's Ireland there's the usual "she's the real victim" people at work. Her losing her Dad is tragic...But that does not take away from her attempted fraud.

"Others defended Ms Bailey. Fine Gael senator Gabrielle McFadden said: "I think she has had enough. I think we should be putting our arms around her and looking out for her and allow her to make her own decision. I feel that people should be looking after their own seats and let Maria Bailey look after her own."

Fine Gael senator Joe O'Reilly added: "I wouldn't see that it should be taken any further. I think we should get closure. She has gone through a lot of personal suffering and just lost her dad."

Those senators know full well that Bailey could take their seat in the recently reformed Seanad after the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,191 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think MB is gone...

This has not gone away....

FG will have to let her go......

walshb wrote: »
    I think MB is gone...

This has not gone away....

FG will have to let her go......
    Pointless taking the whip away now. Only real options left to them are deselection or she chooses not to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Or let her run and see if the public forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There are plenty of misstep opportunities ahead for all politicians. Whatever people say about the MB saga, Brexit is the big one. Navigate our way past it into calmer waters and voters may even be in a more forgiving mood.

That reads like a soundbite from a FG party crisis meeting :pac:

Meanwhile, at the All Ireland Scarecrow Final in Co.Laois

https://twitter.com/darraghdoyle/status/1155463937124687875

Suckit wrote: »
    Or let her run and see if the public forgot.
    That's a waste of resources. You'd expect them to poll on it first in Dun Laoghaire, especially with a seat riding on it.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It could be any party but it was in response to a comment about FF, which you clearly didn't read!:pac:

Muahahaha wrote: »

Meanwhile, at the All Ireland Scarecrow Final in Co.Laois

https://twitter.com/darraghdoyle/status/1155463937124687875

Classic!

Right down to the beer bottle and wine bottle :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Pointless taking the whip away now. Only real options left to them are deselection or she chooses not to run.

She doesn't strike me as the type to go easily.

Compare this saga with that of Lucinda Creighton.

Vote against the party whip? Gone.

Shake down a private business for a handy pay out, then fib on affidavit and fib to the media and your party leader. .

Try and bury your action under an investigation.

No principles at all.

• Advertisement

Pointless taking the whip away now.
    No its not. It would send a message, belatedly, that dodgy claims are not acceptable.

No its not. It would send a message, belatedly, that dodgy claims are not acceptable.
    The Dail is on a break for two months, how much more pointless can you get?

It's the wrong time for FG to do the right thing, is that what you're saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Suspend her for 6 months and it suddenly isn't so pointless.

Again.

Indeed. Had this been the 2011 government she'd have been gone with the report permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Chiparus

She doesn't strike me as the type to go easily.

Compare this saga with that of Lucinda Creighton.

Vote against the party whip? Gone.

Shake down a private business for a handy pay out, then fib on affidavit and fib to the media and your party leader. .

Try and bury your action under an investigation.

No principles at all.

When Lucinda imploded, Kenny was sitting on a 60+ seat majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That's a waste of resources. You'd expect them to poll on it first in Dun Laoghaire, especially with a seat riding on it.

It’s the TDs and hopeful TDs that are going to feel the pinch particularly the ones that don’t have cast iron seats. It’s already a minority government so they need gains. Hopefuls knocking on doors in constituencies that are tight and need every vote they can get will not want to hear the words insurance or Maria Bailey. Her own constituency will be interesting regardless of whether she’s on the ticket or not. It I think it’s the tight calls where FG will feel it. Especially if the indo drop some held back good stuff at the right time.
    This was a showcase in mismanagement by FG.

Chiparus wrote: »
    When Lucinda imploded, Kenny was sitting on a 60+ seat majority.

That only confirms the fact that they're turning a blind eye because it suits them.

FG/IFP will almost certainly lose at least 1 seat in Dun Laoghaire whether they pick Bailey or not. Unlikely she will be selected given the way this story is panning out.
    She would be very foolish to run again. I personally think she will take a leave of absence and leave politics for a while. FF will pick up 1 seat. The question is whether Labour/Green can snatch a 2nd seat from FG. It will be fascinating.

• Advertisement

If that's what I wanted to say I would have said it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement