Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/maria-bailey-made-best-decision-for-herself-and-should-run-in-next-election-says-mep-walsh-38358875.html

Sums it up. Politics is about doing the best for yourself. Or at least in the mind of Maria Walsh it is. Nevermind everybody else.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

FG/IFP will almost certainly lose at least 1 seat in Dun Laoghaire whether they pick Bailey or not. Unlikely she will be selected given the way this story is panning out.
    She would be very foolish to run again. I personally think she will take a leave of absence and leave politics for a while. FF will pick up 1 seat. The question is whether Labour/Green can snatch a 2nd seat from FG. It will be fascinating.
    Well they currently have three so you're right - with Barrett retiring! MMOC will get back in handily enough. Hanafin will probably return along with RBB. Greens may poll well but probably not well enough. Labour AFAIK have nobody lined up as their choice withdrew. Last seat will depend on where people are lined up. Labour or Green I'd say more likely unless FG find a solution to the problem of MB.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/maria-bailey-made-best-decision-for-herself-and-should-run-in-next-election-says-mep-walsh-38358875.html

Sums it up. Politics is about doing the best for yourself. Or at least in the mind of Maria Walsh it is. Nevermind everybody else.....
    More likely to be about sisterhood! All pretty vacuous comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That reads like a soundbite from a FG party crisis meeting :pac:

Meanwhile, at the All Ireland Scarecrow Final in Co.Laois

https://twitter.com/darraghdoyle/status/1155463937124687875

Brilliant, would you believe I was on "important company business" today, and had to go through Durrow on my onwards journey.

Didn't see Me Bale y, but there's some crackers lining the streets, including Donald Trump, and a very convincing "man" having a wizz in a corner complete with straw pee.

Fairly big crowd about, definitely looks like a fun day out.

IMG-20190730-151317.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote:
    All pretty vacuous comments.

Pretty much summed up MW's election campaign but the important thing is it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Mother of god thats tone deaf/irresponsible/not good PR for the party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

That's the one if I remember who said the nurses deserve nothing.....she plays the party line......housing crisis was not FG fault.....also made some comments that Irish army shouldbe put into a European one.......no brain of her own

Also seems to get abuse online
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/maria-walsh-fine-gael-election-14247757

If they wanted to come out with some support should have picked someone better

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That's the one if I remember who said the nurses deserve nothing.....she plays the party line......housing crisis was not FG fault.....also made some comments that Irish army should be put into a European one.......no brain of her own

Also seems to get abuse online
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/maria-walsh-fine-gael-election-14247757

If they wanted to come out with some support should have picked someone better
    She's a member of the Army Reserves. It's microphones shoved under noses that brings this stuff out, not a party. Older heads or less combative ones will stick with no comment but like many politicians, others are very happy to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Maria Walsh getting elected sums up politics in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

is_that_so wrote: »
    She's a member of the Army Reserves. It's microphones shoved under noses that brings this stuff out, not a party. Older heads or less combative ones will stick with no comment but like many politicians, others are very happy to share.

As I said, no brain of her own.....if she did then a microphone shoved under her nose would be no problem.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

is_that_so wrote: »

There is a visible split in FG between the young guard and the old guard. The young guard are all about soundbites, social media and little substance. The old guard like you said tend to keep quieter except for Fergus O'Dowd breaking rank. Leo and Maria Walsh are very good friends and they were at the Galway races together yesterday. She is the definition of a celebrity candidate.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    As I said, no brain of her own.....if she did then a microphone shoved under her nose would be no problem.....
    This is why parties employ PR and spokespeople. Most of them you don't want talking to anyone except voters.

There is a visible split in FG between the young guard and the old guard. The young guard are all about soundbites, social media and little substance. The old guard like you said tend to keep quieter except for Fergus O'Dowd breaking rank. Leo and Maria Walsh are very good friends and they were at the Galway races together yesterday. She is the definition of a celebrity candidate.
    O'Dowd has form as they say and has done this type of thing more than once. He's a seat they want to keep. IIRC he was in the Coveney camp for leader.

is_that_so wrote:
    O'Dowd has form as they say and has done this type of thing more than once.

I remember his Dail comments about IW, it's nice when a politician goes off script and lifts the veil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I remember his Dail comments about IW, it's nice when a politician goes off script and lifts the veil.

He lost his ministerial post for disagreeing with Tierney and other ministers over Irish Water.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/fergus-o-dowd-threatened-to-resign-after-irish-water-disagreement-1.2007738
    He said he had made it “exceptionally clear’’ at a meeting attended by at least three ministers that Irish Water should be a stand-alone company and should not be part of any other company or conglomerate if it had credibility.

Mr O’Dowd said he had also sought a commitment that Irish Water would never be privatised. But it had not been included in the legislation at the time and he had objected strongly.

“That was absolutely wrong,’’ he added. “We were going back on an absolutely fundamental promise that I had made in the Oireachtas. ’’

He said that the then minister for the environment Phil Hogan had later included it in the Bill.

History will show that we owe him and the water protesters a debt of gratitude. There were plans to privatise our precious water resource. Enda and Trickle Hogan were up to no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

It's the wrong time for FG to do the right thing, is that what you're saying?

Ah come on, they never do the right thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭mikemac2

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    O'Dowd's opinion is getting picked up by others in the media

'What she did was wrong': Fine Gael TD says Maria Bailey shouldn't stand in next election

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/what-she-did-was-wrong-fine-gael-td-says-maria-bailey-shouldnt-stand-in-next-election-940082.html

In politics your greatest enemies are usually in your own party :pac:

He is not being a noble crusader, more trying to create distance and save himself

Maria saw a good career opportunity there, chumming with Leo who said “let’s make it the Fine Gayl party, we’ll have totes support among our own”.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    In politics your greatest enemies are usually in your own party :pac:

He is not being a noble crusader, more trying to create distance and save himself
    He's actually safe enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Hmm I should have checked the Louth constituency. He finished 4th out of 5 so not scraping in and also I think Adams is retiring, right you are, looks safe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,252 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Hmm I should have checked the Louth constituency. He finished 4th out of 5 so not scraping in and also I think Adams is retiring, right you are, looks safe

Nearly 71 himself so possibly packing it in too...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Nearly 71 himself so possibly packing it in too...

Jesus, had to look him up on Wikipedia there, he's a fresh looking 71 (almost) year old. Hope I look as fresh when I get to that decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Jesus, had to look him up on Wikipedia there, he's a fresh looking 71 (almost) year old. Hope I look as fresh when I get to that decade.

The wiki picture is from 2013, so he was around 63/64.

Still aged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ultimately FG will be forced to remove the whip or take her off the election ticket as they won't put forward a loser in her constituency.

It's a missed opportunity for leo and fg, they could of gained a huge amount of new supporters if he thrown her under a bus straight away.

The fact public outrage will force him to take stronger action wont be forgotten.

Don't the party have any PR consultant, any one with a half brain would of advised cut all ties as the optics aren't good given the strong media coverage of insurance claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Maria Walsh getting elected sums up politics in this country.

Indeed, famous for winning a lovely girls competition. :)

Anyway, I doubt that Maria Bailey will be running in the next election as an FG candidate which was probably the endgame for Leo and the gang of leakers in what was possibly the most transparant and latest example of continued FG internal struggles that was played out in public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Not sure if this was posted before but I found it a good read.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/07/25/eamonn-kelly-self-serving-cliques-are-invisible-up-close/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

FG should be out on their arses anyway. They seem to have no grasp of reality or finances.
    The childrens hospital €450m has become €1.73bn, Siemens offered to foot the €810m and up cost of installing water meters, but FG thought it would be better to borrow €450m and pay it back with interest + the installation fees costing over €1bn (instead of FREE), The broadband over €3bn, Homeless crisis and calling these human parking spaces a boutique hotel, insurance rates rising and two chancers with their hands out for less than a months wage and the other one (allegedly) giving advice to earn herself a finders fee for the family company.

I know I've left loads out, but all of this crap and they are still standing in front of us, brazenly and arrogantly telling us we are wrong to condemn Bailey and 'even the best' BS.. F**k sake.
    I mean, the ways that this could have been dealt with are endless, but the way they dealt with it is probably the worst of the lot of them. And then to have spinners in here arguing and pointing the finger everywhere else, telling us to look at SF, FF etc.. That's also just adding to the anger. I mean there is nothing really to defend. She was caught, she had her hand out for what is effectively pennies (compared to her wage) for banging her ass, as she lied and on radio blames everyone else. Cut her out FFS.
    Politics make me ill at the best of time, but this has really and truly shown me FG in a horrible nasty light. It is something I won't forget for a long time.
    The young FG. Absolute Joke, the lot of them.
    /rant.

Not sure if this was posted before but I found it a good read.

It is a good read from the 25th, but unfortunately for Leo the Indo claiming on Sunday the 28th that Bailey sent a letter to the Dean demanding 20k blew the lid off his attempt to brush the story aside it also begs the question on whose advice was Bailey acting on when she drafted the letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Sorry if already posted but someone been honest saying it was their fault!

https://twitter.com/andreajenkyns/status/1156287264932139008?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement