Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why though?

Haven't you earlier said that in your opinion, what she did was neither fraudulent nor against the law?

What does it matter if it was 2011 or 2111, wrong is wrong.
    Removing the whip is no punishment if it can create political problems for a government through the loss of a vote. It's realpolitik as someone said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Had they dealt with the problem the way they should have then they would probably have gained votes in an election. This way they are sure to lose votes.

They may need her vote in the short term but it will cost them in the long term.
    Only if she's around for the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

is_that_so wrote: »
    Had they dealt with the problem the way they should have then they would probably have gained votes in an election. This way they are sure to lose votes.

They may need her vote in the short term but it will cost them in the long term.
    Only if she's around for the next election.

She will not go easy and sees herself as the victim. That much is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I imagine how this will eventually play out is something along the lines of MB not running next GE and being awarded with a seat in the Seanad or get a parliamentary assistant position. The result telling us, in FG it doesn't matter what they stand for, as long as you're 'one of the good ones'.
    If that happens, as along as they keep rewarding and employing those who have been publicly caught out for acts of pure greed or corruption, they (or anyone else) will not be getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Suckit wrote: »
    I imagine how this will eventually play out is something along the lines of MB not running next GE and being awarded with a seat in the Seanad or get a parliamentary assistant position. The result telling us, in FG it doesn't matter what they stand for, as long as you're 'one of the good ones'.
    If that happens, as along as they keep rewarding and employing those who have been publicly caught out for acts of pure greed or corruption, they (or anyone else) will not be getting my vote.

This

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I really doubt Bailey would agree to that

FG may not be a position to give her a Seanad seat

It will take a lot for Bailey not to contest the GE

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I really doubt Bailey would agree to that

FG may not be a position to give her a Seanad seat

It will take a lot for Bailey not to contest the GE

Ideally its what FG would want to happen I think.
    Alot really depends on much more dirt is to come out. If the Indo has something else she's gone I'd reckon. If they've nothing else FG would hold off to general election time and then move her aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Highly doubtful being honest. Deluded sense of importance to think the leader of the country is concerned about what anonymous people on message boards are posting.

Those anonymous people on message boards are also known as voters.

Ouch!

It's getting tense in here.. Let's have a musical interlude..

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

A real leader would call Bailey, Madigan & Farrell into the office and say; Get the **** out NOW! Look what you've done to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Absolutely.

Here's a list of people and things she blames for her predicament.
    • Journalists
    • Legal advise
    • Polished wood
    • Michael McDowell
    • MicheMartin
    • Lack of supervision by the Dean
    • Lack of signage by the Dean
    • Keyboard warriors
    • Bullys
    • The media
    • Fraudulent cases making her legitimate one look bad

Here's a list of people and things she doesn't blame.
    • Maria Bailey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

G Shock wrote:
    On this issue, a real leader would call Bailey, Madigan & Farrell into the office and say; Get the **** out NOW! Look what you've done to us!

Yeah that's what a real leader would do, but we have Leo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Surely she’s not that deluded???
    If she runs in the next General Election then the people will tell her exactly how they feel. Everyone is effected by high insurance premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Acosta

Absolutely.

• Journalists
    • Legal advise
    • Polished wood
    • Michael McDowell
    • MicheMartin
    • Keyboard warriors
    • Bullys
    • The media

• Maria Bailey.

Don't forget DOB for selling the Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

If she runs in the next General Election then the people will tell her exactly how they feel. Everyone is effected by high insurance premiums.

Oh she def is that deluded

She hasn't a clue about her story

"‘I wasn’t able to go home for three days last week because journalists were sitting outside my home.’ During the interview, Ms Bailey seemed to contradict herself on her whereabouts over the last week, when the story of her case against the Dean Hotel was unfolding.

Initially, she said she wasn’t able to go home for three days because journalists were sitting outside her home. Later, she reiterated her point that she had to lock herself away for three days and couldn’t go home, adding, ‘This is a joke.’ However, Ms Bailey said later in the interview that she locked herself away and worked from home.

‘I had to lock myself away and work from home, this week, with the exception of going into the Oireachtas to do my job,’ said Ms Bailey.

‘The reason that it took such great traction here, Seán, is I am the subject of click-bait.’ There are many reasons as to why this story does not constitute click-bait. Firstly, as she points out, she is a public figure and is ‘held to a higher standard’. Second, she is a Fine Gael TD whose party is in Government, which gives her a position of power, meaning her actions are worth covering.

Meanwhile, the cost of insurance premiums, due to the compensation culture, has a disastrous effect on individuals and businesses. One of the main reasons this story took on such traction was because of the public’s fury as to the facts of the case.

When asked about the fact the claim said she couldn’t run for three months, when she ran a 10km race three weeks afterwards, she said: ‘Yes, it is in the claim and that is wrong because, and I’ve instructed, and this you see, this is where it is dangerous when you cross legal documents at an early stage. The plaintiff has every right to amend those particulars prior to it going to a judge and a judge can adjudicate in due course on that.

‘An affidavit is a sworn written statement from a witness in a case which affirms the accuracy of the allegations being made in a summons. While they are usually prepared by solicitors, they must be read and understood by the person signing them.

‘While the summons can be amended under certain circumstances down the line, they are meant to be an accurate and truthful representation of evidence that the witness plans to deliver in court.
    ‘I am a strong female politician and some people don’t like that and I will not bow down or be bullied.’

The suggestion is that this is only a story because she is a woman

https://extra.ie/2019/05/28/news/irish-news/maria-bailey-sean-orourke-interview

Acosta wrote:
    Don't forget DOB for selling the Indo.

DO'B doesn't own the Indo anymore and if he did you certainly would not have heard as much about Bailey or FG's attempt to brush it under the carpet as you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,281 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Absolutely.

• Journalists
    • Legal advise
    • Polished wood
    • Michael McDowell
    • MicheMartin
    • Keyboard warriors
    • Bullys
    • The media

• Maria Bailey.
    :D
    I am surprised she hasnt blamed the bottle of beer at this stage and sued Diageo!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

DO'B doesn't own the Indo anymore and if he did you certainly would not have heard as much about Bailey or FG's attempt to brush it under the carpet as you have.

That's his point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Definitely is that deluded. And us Irish have always bowed down to authority figures. You can be guaranteed she is getting further support from people in her constituency compounding the delusion. Her father could do no wrong sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Trending on Twitter today again.

gmisk wrote: »
    :D
    I am surprised she hasnt blamed the bottle of beer at this stage and sued Diageo!

Im suprised too. This whole thing is so ridiculous that I wouldn't have been suprised if she sued Diageo because they didn't have instructions on how to hold a bottle correctly.
    ****in joke the whole thing from a party proclaiming to be cracking down on welfare & insurance fraud. You couldn't make it up.... and it's not going away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Dammo

Madigan must be sweating like a miner whose canary has stopped chirping. If she had anything to do with the 20k demand she’s in trouble.

Imagine the arrogance of Bailey demanding 20k when there wasn’t even sufficient injury to prevent her running a decent time in a 10k race three weeks later!

Humanity has been crossed indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

We're now on Day 67 of this mess and it still hasnt gone away. If this goes on much longer Paul Howard will be writing a musical about it

Muahahaha wrote:
    We're now on Day 67 of this mess and it still hasnt gone away. If this goes on much longer Paul Howard will be writing a musical about it

If Leo had any leadership abilities it would have been put to bed at most 3 days after it became public knowledge. An epic screwup on his behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Muahahaha wrote:

If Leo had any leadership abilities it would have been put to bed at most 3 days after it became public knowledge. An epic screwup on his behalf.
    Whatever about 3 days, definitely should have done something by the end of the second when when it was clear the story was only getting worse for FG. Signs on that she hasn't an ounce of decency because if she had any bit at all she would have resigned by now.
    If Leo was more of a leader he would have been getting her to resign one way or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bullocks wrote: »
    Whatever about 3 days, definitely should have done something by the end of the second when when it was clear the story was only getting worse for FG. Signs on that she hasn't an ounce of decency because if she had any bit at all she would have resigned by now.
    If Leo was more of a leader he would have been getting her to resign one way or the other

If she had an ounce of decency this wouldn’t have happened in the first place. You surely aren’t expecting her to suddenly have any? She handled it badly from the start especially with the SOR interview where she just rambled and tried to paint herself as the victim. Then the party assuming if they kicked the can down the road it would blow over tried to do nothing. I’d say they probably would have been right if the Indo hadn’t kept it relevant. After years of being a rag the indo is now playing an absolute blinder on this.

Bullocks wrote: »

I think you've just crossed her humanity again :0
    Monster !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Dammo wrote: »
    Madigan must be sweating like a miner whose canary has stopped chirping. If she had anything to do with the 20k demand she’s in trouble.

Imagine the arrogance of Bailey demanding 20k when there wasn’t even sufficient injury to prevent her running a decent time in a 10k race three weeks later!

Humanity has been crossed indeed.
    Madigan is the All Ireland hide-and-go-seek champion in July. She will not let the press anywhere close to asking a hard question.

Compo Culture Minister

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Muahahaha wrote: »

we can live in hope! He can do one about the emperor with no clothes, i.e varadkar, while he's at it! :D:rolleyes:

I am honestly mind blown about the level of incompetence and spoofing from politicians here. Varadkar is a comedian! After eight years in power, a marginal tax rate of still FIFTY percent of your income! Look at the issues with the wastewater in Dublin, M20 back in planning, same with dublin metro. Insurance, is a farce. How they actually think people will sit back and tolerate waffle, inaction and lies for several years and then continue to vote for them, is pure comedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We're at it a long time so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Idbatterim wrote: »
    we can live in hope! He can do one about the emperor with no clothes, i.e varadkar, while he's at it! :D:rolleyes:

I am honestly mind blown about the level of incompetence and spoofing from politicians here. Varadkar is a comedian! After eight years in power, a marginal tax rate of still FIFTY percent of your income! Look at the issues with the wastewater in Dublin, M20 back in planning, same with dublin metro. Insurance, is a farce. How they actually think people will sit back and tolerate waffle, inaction and lies for several years and then continue to vote for them, is pure comedy!

Children’s Hospital , broadband, cervical smear tests , no schools to take autistic children etc etc etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement