Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's the nature of our economic system.. boom and bust, prosperity and downturn.

We however have been saddled with so much debt, have really changed very little, and are back spending like it's the Tiger days that when the next financial crisis hits - it'll make the last one seem like a walk in the park.

Because as well as the increased debt, FG have let core services and societal structures (housing, policing etc) decline so much that the impact will be significantly worse and far more widespread.

I think the way societal structures and services are working at the minute are akin to a country being in a very bad recession. It will be horendous when the next one hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The "reason" was because he was being questioned to give specific answers and detail, rather than spin and that didn't sit well with him. He was insulted that he was expected to ANSWER a question - and regardless of anyone's political leanings, that's what people like Martin are there to do as well - and "lashed out" accordingly.

It's immature, it's arrogant, and it's an own goal... but it's also the FG way! His predecessor was much the same, just with less Twitter posts! :rolleyes:

I had to laugh at Leos excuses yesterday saying that he said the remark about priests sinning "in the heat of political debate", like it was literally him Michael Martin and the Ceann Comhairle in the chamber. If he thinks that was a heated debate then he wouldn't last five minutes in the House of Commons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Nope. He'd be a lot worse.
    Most definitely. Since Conveney's attendance at the infamous and highly-secretive Bilderberg Group summit with UN Migration Chief Peter Sutherland, he should be seen as a danger to Ireland's future as an autonomous country. Even though many may say that we have lost a good deal of our autonomy already due to the bailout and massive debt that we are now saddled with; under Coveney as leader the country's independence would be eroded.

Lest we forget: Peter Sutherland, as UN Migration leader, believed that there was too much homogeneity in European states, which eventually translated into the defacto open borders that we now have in Europe and Ireland from outside the EU.

mikhail wrote: »
    I expect we never will. We'll wait for a century of inflation to take care of it. Meanwhile, we're presumably more vulnerable to a downturn while carrying so much debt.
    Nothing to presume with that mikhail.
    The country is in for one hell of a shock when the next downturn occurs. The downturn of 2008 will be looked on fondly compared to what's going to happen with the next one. Austerity will have a new meaning then; at least for people in Ireland.

Despite five consecutive years of economic growth in this country, the Fine Gael Government has run financial deficits every single year.
    Should there be a recession, Ireland would begin with a debt of 68% of GDP (or more accurately 100%, which is more realistic), which is a lot worse than what we had in 2007.
    By the way, speaking of 100%, the head of the National Treasury Management Agency (NTMA) Conor O’Kelly said yesterday that the chances of a future recession in Ireland in the next few years are 100%.
    Batten down the hatches!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Have fg delivered any projects successfully?

They'd be hard pressed to deliver a pizza !;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Matt pet, I keep telling you, time to grow up and get rid of this infantile "two legs bad, four legs good" simplistic nonsense.

You're a big boy now - in fact I hear you're shaving - so it's about time that your posts reflected your physical (whatever about mental) maturity.

JM, Is it not possible to answer or make a comment withOUT resorting to calling names.

I am amazed the MODS haven't done something about this kind of comment.

PLEASE BE CIVIL!

I'm sure they'd swing that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Matt pet, I keep telling you, time to grow up and get rid of this infantile "two legs bad, four legs good" simplistic nonsense.

You're a big boy now - in fact I hear you're shaving - so it's about time that your posts reflected your physical (whatever about mental) maturity.

You said anyone who votes FG is sleazy but you would. Somehow 'holding your nose' as you do so means something? I said some people genuinely believe them. You got emotional again.
    JM, Is it not possible to answer or make a cooent withOUT resorting to calling names.

I am amazed the MODS haven't done something about this kind of comment.

PLEASE BE CIVIL!

He's not capable of debate and resorts to childishness. He started out 'in character' but lost the run of himself. He's gone from annoyed to petulant schoolboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Kivaro wrote: »
    I'm sure they'd swing that. :pac:

You mean they'd DROP it :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Put a few pals on the board, high salaries, give Dinny the preferred bidder delivery contract then sell him the vans at a loss to the tax payer. Grand job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Lest we forget: Donal Sutherland, as UN Migration leader, believed that there was too much homogeneity in European states, which eventually translated into the defacto open borders that we now have in Europe and Ireland from outside the EU.

Well I knew he played sinister, machiavellian figures:P

100xwhy.jpg

Well I knew he played sinister, machiavellian figures:P

100xwhy.jpg

They both did. Donald and Peter.

Thanks LO. Fixed the typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Did they? I didn't know that. Have you a link?
    They must have known they had several fraudsters in their own ranks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.breakingnews.ie/ireland/govt-abandons-plans-for-dedicated-garda-insurance-fraud-unit-925523.html

A more general blah blah approach, this way the insurance companies cant demand people prosecuted, nobody in AGS is responsible and the TDs can use influence to shut down investigations on their colleagues / buddies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Nothing to presume with that mikhail.
    The country is in for one hell of a shock when the next downturn occurs. The downturn of 2008 will be looked on fondly compared to what's going to happen with the next one. Austerity will have a new meaning then; at least for people in Ireland.

Despite five consecutive years of economic growth in this country, the Fine Gael Government has run financial deficits every single year.
    Should there be a recession, Ireland would begin with a debt of 68% of GDP (or more accurately 100%, which is more realistic), which is a lot worse than what we had in 2007.
    By the way, speaking of 100%, the head of the National Treasury Management Agency (NTMA) Conor O’Kelly said yesterday that the chances of a future recession in Ireland in the next few years are 100%.
    Batten down the hatches!

I.actually think that downturn has already started. Worldwide.

As someone said, FG had a huge opportunity in 2011 to reform this country and public expenditure and absolutely blew it. The fact we are still borrowing to pay our way is a crime. The chickens will come home to roost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tbh a dedicated Garda unit investigating fraud financied by the insurance industry would be open to allegations of working on behalf of the insurance industry due to funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Poor Leo is coming under pressure from within his party and outside to release the inquiry findings about Bailey according to a piece in today's Times.
    Seems it's not going away Leo...what ya gonna do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Poor Leo is coming under pressure from within his party and outside to release the inquiry findings about Bailey according to a piece in today's Times.

The longer this story rumbles on the more it grows legs.

Someone is advising Leo very badly..

Or very well depending which way you look at it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Well I be fooked..... Who could possibly have seen this coming.....
    Speaking to reporters today in Longford today, Varadkar said he has received the review and met with Bailey about its conclusions last night.

However, he also confirmed that he cannot publish the report as those involved in the review spoke on condition it would not be published.

He added that he will make a statement on the conclusions of the Bailey swing case next week.

https://www.thejournal.ie/maria-bailey-report-4712733-Jul2019/

Who the hell would have guessed that he would only receive it in the days before summer recess.......

FGers, Leo's laughing at you too you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'll tell you what he will do. Brass it out until summer recess and hope it disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'll tell you what he will do. Brass it out until summer recess and hope it disappears.

No chance of it going away. If anything the recess means less stories so the media will look for anything to create headlines.

And with insurance the hot topic, a bit of regurgitating of Bailey's very dubious "nothing to lose" case is guaranteed.

I still don't know why the media have not looked into the "I was told I had nothing to lose" statement by Bailey.

Basically was told by her legal people (josepha Madigan?) that there was ZERO risk in taking a dubious case because the system does not in most cases look for the costs on a losing case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Well I be fooked..... Who could possibly have seen this coming.....

https://www.thejournal.ie/maria-bailey-report-4712733-Jul2019/

Who the hell would have guessed that he would only receive it in the days before summer recess.......

FGers, Leo's laughing at you too you know.

I wonder is false foto Farrell going to be dealt with? after all he done exactly what Bailey attempted, ie. dodgy claim, but went all the way only to be found out in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The motorways were all on time... port tunnel was ok?
    A decent government could have delivered Irish water.

Majority of motorway are owned by private companies, they make money from the tolls which the government also don’t own

In fact on the likes of M3 if the company doesn’t make enough teach year from tolls then the government has to top them up

Lets face it, Leo doesnt have the balls to cut her loose. Regardless of him hiding the report from the publics eyes removing the whip from Bailey is the only outcome the public want to see. By shirking it Leo is showing his weakness and the public will take note. FG have already been passed by FF in the last opinion poll so I'd predict the next one is going to be a shocker given how useless he has been at dealing with this. And the moniker of FG as the party of insurance fraud will well be and truly stuck, only a bunch of idiots could score an own goal that big yet here we are.

"However, he also confirmed that he cannot publish the report as those involved in the review spoke on condition it would not be published."

A feeble cop-out. It's in the interest of the voting public to know, and the relevant authorities tackling fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Looks like they're dragging this one on to summer recess, it's blatantly obvious something dodgy went on here, because as sure as your balls hang down, if it had your two in the clear, the blueshirts would have been broadcasting the report from high.

This should not be allowed to go unanswered, leo is treating the public with contempt, but what can be done to get an answer?

Back to emailing TDs and minister's I suppose?

The problem starts with a media that unfortunately tows the establishment line for the most part and stops digging when told. Iv'e heard of two separate TD's besides the one's mentioned who have both had insurance claims put in within the last year alone yet despite this silence about them as of yet.

For democracy to work and for the people to have proper functioning governance you need a proper functioning media which we don't and maybe never have.

Take Newstalk as an example, after the Bailey scandal broke a few days later one of their pundits said several times that Bailey was been hounded and bullied and it was unfair on her. This despite the fact people of her ilk are the cause and effect of small and medium size business going bust or ceasing to trade. Madness yet Varadkar sits on his hands and does sfa.

The nastiness within Fine Gael is spreading. Some venom at this FG meeting in Kells according to today's Irish Times in the past 2 hours:

Fine Gael investigating alleged comments about former member

It seems John V. Farrelly, the former FG TD and current chair of the Meath East Constituency, is the person responsible for this. He has said he's now stepping aside as the constituency chair.

Fine Gael member apologises for use of ‘offensive’ metaphor: John V Farrelly alleged to have described female party member as ‘n****r in the woodpile’
    The phrase, n****r in the woodpile, originated in the US in the 19th century and is now considered offensive, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. It had been used to mean “a concealed motive or unknown factor affecting a situation in an adverse way”, according to the dictionary.

I never heard it used before. Every day is a school day, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The three amigos, Flashy, Spicy and Losty are very conspicuous by their absence lately.
    Must have got a memo from party HQ: "Lads, stfu will yis" Regards, P.P, Leo.

Possibly CC'd to Jupes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

The nastiness within Fine Gael is spreading. Some venom at this FG meeting in Kells according to today's Irish Times in the past 2 hours:

Fine Gael investigating alleged comments about former member

And he's denying calling her a fcuking bitch like that's the problem????

WTAF??

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

It seems John V. Farrelly, the former FG TD and current chair of the Meath East Constituency, is the person responsible for this. He has said he's now stepping aside as the constituency chair.

Fine Gael member apologises for use of ‘offensive’ metaphor: John V Farrelly alleged to have described female party member as ‘n****r in the woodpile’

I never heard it used before. Every day is a school day, as they say.

• Advertisement

This chaps insurance went from €593 to €1,413 in the space of a year, unbelievable. And what was it Alan Farrell won, €2,000?

D-kvkPyW4AMJm6e-1-768x1024.jpg
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/page/6/

Now how can Fine Gael even pretend to be part of the solution when they are very much part of the problem with their own members taking fraudulent claims and getting the rest of us to pick up the tab?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement