Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

What? Jaysus don't spend your entire life being a naïve apologist. Wrong is wrong. Do you think RTE Investigates picked his name out of a hat?

Have another look at the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpko_hXWb7Q

This was clearly not his first time. The Gardaí would easily have found corruption if they did some work and followed the money.

If my septic tank ever needs some extra contents, I'll remember to give you a shout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

K
    If my septic tank ever needs some extra contents, I'll remember to give you a shout.

I'd say it's quite full already. I think we'll need a special percolation area for some of your posts.

Are you paid to defend the indefensible? You'll need tighter blinkers at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You don't really understand what you just posted do you? Own up, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

I think you're on a wind up J.m you wee rascal.

I'd day it's quite full already. I think we'll need a special percolation area for some of your posts.

Are you paid to defend the indefensible? You'll need tighter blinkers at the next election.

No blinkers required. As I've already revealed, unless the Soc Dems or Greens run a candidate in my rural constituency next time round, I'm 95% certain that I'll be voting FG. Sure I'll be holding my nose as I do it, but the only real alternative is to spoil my vote. And by doing that, I may be allowing someone who I genuinely despise to get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No blinkers required. As I've already revealed, unless the Soc Dems or Greens run a candidate in my rural constituency next time round, I'm 95% certain that I'll be voting FG. Sure I'll be holding my nose as I do it, but the only real alternative is to spoil my vote. And by doing that, I may be allowing someone who I genuinely despise to get elected.

Whatever about the SD's, the Greens are of the same ilk as FG - great PR and spin, but really just an excuse to increase tax and make things worse.. Or have ye forgotten how they pushed everyone to diesels in 2008 (instantly creating a 2-tier market) and now would have us pay again because it turns out it wasn't such a good idea after all.

Voting FG after their performance over the last 8 years is exactly what you say you want to avoid. It's an endorsement of the spin and arrogance, and their far more destructive policies to our society that will ultimately form their legacy

• Advertisement

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results

What constituency are you in?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results

What constituency are you in?

Uranus south central.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Whatever about the SD's, the Greens are of the same ilk as FG - great PR and spin, but really just an excuse to increase tax and make things worse.. Or have ye forgotten how they pushed everyone to diesels in 2008 (instantly creating a 2-tier market) and now would have us pay again because it turns out it wasn't such a good idea after all.

Voting FG after their performance over the last 8 years is exactly what you say you want to avoid. It's an endorsement of the spin and arrogance, and their far more destructive policies to our society that will ultimately form their legacy

I have mentioned my preferred alternatives. There is literally no one else to vote for.

I have mentioned my preferred alternatives. There is literally no one else to vote for.

Yeah yeah stop crying, give us your constituency and we'll find you a worthy cause.

Yeah yeah stop crying, give us your constituency and we'll find you a worthy cause.

So who exactly is this enigmatic "we" which appears to have appointed you as its spokesperson?

• Advertisement

So who exactly is this enigmatic "we" which appears to have appointed you as its spokesperson?
    Are you embarassed about where you are from? I will give you some suggestions if you tell me your constituency. You can disregard them but you are the one crying about a lack of options.

Are you embarassed about where you are from? I will give you some suggestions if you tell me your constituency. You can disregard them but you are the one crying about a lack of options.

Presumably your hedge school failed to teach you the parable of the blind leading the blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    A two year old is not one to one in a creche . The carers don’t have eyes in the back of their heads . Its life , toddlers fall all the time . They fall at home too it happens . And why does he need 40k anyway ? It way over the top as are most payouts in Ireland

A creche has a contractual duty of care to the children. A child running up a slide is one of the biggest dangers in a playground and it should have been spotted.

Kids fall at home who could you possibly sue for a serious injury?

40k is a great result for an insurance company in this scenario.

Using your argument, adults get injured all the time, why should the adult in traction have a claim because he paid a fare to get a bus from x to y and he got injured in the process?

Snow Garden and I, Shegarden or Snowmale, you decide but tell us where you live...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I see that the FG'rs haven't lost their condescending arrogance.

Consistent at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ilovemycharlie

Fine Gael have turned into the greatest shower. A bunch of leftie teachers is all they are no real business people so much red tape it's insane makes me want to pack up and leave the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Evidently his ethical standard mirrors that of his voters. And that applies to every sleazebag who gets elected.

I can remember Betie Ahern getting the highest number of first preferences in Ireland - at a time when it was glaringly evident that he had the ethical standards of the sewer - but this didn't trouble his voters at all.

Anyone who votes for a sleazebag must ipse facto, have sleazebag ethics, Johnny Boy.

What don't you understand about this?

And people wonder why nothing changes and we continue to vote in chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Dammo

Shemale wrote: »
    A creche has a contractual duty of care to the children. A child running up a slide is one of the biggest dangers in a playground and it should have been spotted.

Kids fall at home who could you possibly sue for a serious injury?

40k is a great result for an insurance company in this scenario.

Using your argument, adults get injured all the time, why should the adult in traction have a claim because he paid a fare to get a bus from x to y and he got injured in the process?

With respect, your view on this is way too simplistic.

Suppose the supervisor spots Johnny heading up the slide the wrong way and goes over to tell him that he mustn't as it's dangerous and tells him to use the steps like everyone else. The supervisor goes to resume their viewing position and on the way Jimmy/Mary comes up and says 'Paddy hit me/ took my toy/ wet his pants/ whatever'. In the 60 seconds it takes the supervisor to deal with this, 2 year olds being 2 year olds, Johnny heads the wrong way up the slide again. Johnny gets hit by a child using the slide in the correct manner and suffers a fracture to his arm.

Adequate supervision is in place, you just can't prevent every accident.

The insurance companies appeared in front of the Oireachtas today.

They've denied that they're operating a cartel, blaming the sky high premiums on.......
    stating that fraudsters and those who exaggerate claims are driving up costs.

No doubt, they're (insurance companies) are fleecing us, but in turn they're blaming fraud and gouging (and the ludicrous payout awards)
    You are in here with your big profits. People are being fleeced and gouged, and you point at the consumers and say it is all about fraud,” said Sinn F’s Pearse Doherty.

Speaking about fraud cases, McGrath said about 20% of Allianz’ personal injury cases have “red flags” for fraud, where further investigations are warranted

While Axa said it is difficult to know the exact number of fraud cases, it agreed it was also around 20% of personal injury cases that had signals for fraud investigations.

FBD argued that exaggerated claims are “as big as fraudulent claims” for their company.

Jackie McMahon, the chief claims operator for FBD, said the exaggeration of claims is “much more significant to ‘pure fraud’”, adding:

“We hardly see soft tissue injury that doesn’t have psychological trauma associated with it.”

It's a vicious circle, if the insurance companies couldn't get away with gouging us under the cover of ludicrous awards, that would drive prices down (you'd assume)

If the awards weren't so lucrative, they wouldn't be so enticing to fraudsters.

If they got serious about going after those engaging in exaggerated and spurious claims, they would become even less enticing.

Regardless, Maria Bailey is part of the problem here.

https://www.thejournal.ie/insurance-costs-4709753-Jul2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The insurance companies practice unvouched compensation.

Basically they will pay you off without medical proof of injuries. Quite hefty sums too.

The practice has been outlawed in the UK for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »

Basically they will pay you off without medical proof of injuries. Quite hefty sums too.

Isn't that what Bailey and Farrell were depending on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Makes it fairly easy for the insurance companies to blame false or exaggerated claims when they're standing in front of (at least) a handful that have done it, and (at least) one who is/was part of a family run business that encourages sore bums to make a claim.
    There were probably a lot of people in there today refusing to open their mouths in case it drew attention to them.

Yeah, spot on Boggles that's exactly what Bailey was hoping for in her "clear cut" case.

She just wasn't banking on dealing with someone who is evidently a much cuter hoor than her and Madigan put together.

PL16477411PATRICK%20MCKILLEN%20Read-Only.jpg

The CCTV footage, and the running where just there for backup.

Fine Gael have turned into the greatest shower. A bunch of leftie teachers is all they are no real business people so much red tape it's insane makes me want to pack up and leave the country.

Hi, Ray. Still haven't left?

As for "leftie teachers" - here's your update. First, if you think left-wing anything would join the Blueshirts of all parties, that's a fairly impressive disconnect from, well, the last century of Irish history. Second, since 2011 there has been a sizeable shift within teaching and most of the new teachers have been joining the TUI as they gave into all the government's demands and thus did not endure the cutbacks which all ASTI members endured. The "leftie teachers" have been financially penalised out of existence and the average teacher is now implementing all sorts of bureaucratic rubbish from our right-wing government's "reform" agenda which is doing nothing but reducing the quality of education which all our students will receive. From Peadar O'Donnell to Tony Gregory, Ireland was blessed to have once had a tradition of "leftie teachers" in politics. As what has happened teaching since 2011 shows, it's all about conforming to right-wing ideology now. It will take maybe 20 years more for many posters on After Hours to realise that the "centre" in Ireland in 2019 is far more to the right than the "centre" was here in 1970 or 1980 or 1990.

So you don't like him. He probably wouldn't like you either, if he knew of your existence.

Is it normal for you to respond to unflattering facts about a Fine Gael politician with an ad hominem? I just checked, and it does seem to be quite common, if not normal.
    But he wasn't actually corrupt. Sure, he indicated that he was willing to be corrupted, but he didn't actually do anything corrupt.

Charming; a defence of no less than Hugh "I want loads of money" McElvaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is it normal for you to respond to unflattering facts about a Fine Gael politician with an ad hominem? I just checked, and it does seem to be quite common, if not normal.

Charming; a defence of no less than Hugh "I want loads of money" McElvaney.

It's a pretty common tactic for FG-leaning folk.. Insult and deflect rather than answer the questions (sure Leo himself had to apologise this week after comparing Micheal to a sinning priest because he didn't like being questioned in the Dail).

Watching FG slowly implode in the last few weeks particularly is somewhat amusing, but it's a far better lesson for anyone else who actually bought into the spin as to what they would be voting for in the next election.

Lets not forget FG ****canned the insurance companys' proposal to setup an insurance fraud division in AGS which they would pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

It is also unthinkable that an MP would act as bad as a TD here and get away with it. An MP would resign in the UK over a much smaller thing. Here even prime ministers get away with huge financial irregularities eg Haughey, Ahern etc.

Shemale wrote: »
    Lets not forget FG ****canned the insurance companys' proposal to setup an insurance fraud division in AGS which they would pay for.

It's obvious now why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's a pretty common tactic for FG-leaning folk.. Insult and deflect rather than answer the questions (sure Leo himself had to apologise this week after comparing Micheal to a sinning priest because he didn't like being questioned in the Dail).

Watching FG slowly implode in the last few weeks particularly is somewhat amusing, but it's a far better lesson for anyone else who actually bought into the spin as to what they would be voting for in the next election.

VERY hard to disagree with one word you say here _Kiaser_

Well said!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement