Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Shemale wrote: »
    Lets not forget FG ****canned the insurance companys' proposal to setup an insurance fraud division in AGS which they would pay for.

Did they? I didn't know that. Have you a link?
    They must have known they had several fraudsters in their own ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's a pretty common tactic for FG-leaning folk.. Insult and deflect rather than answer the questions (sure Leo himself had to apologise this week after comparing Micheal to a sinning priest because he didn't like being questioned in the Dail).

Watching FG slowly implode in the last few weeks particularly is somewhat amusing, but it's a far better lesson for anyone else who actually bought into the spin as to what they would be voting for in the next election.

Eventually despite all the spin, bluster, friends in the media and PR FG's arrogance comes shining through and they are exposed for what they are.
    It's as sure as night follows day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Eventually despite all the spin, bluster, friends in the media and PR FG's arrogance comes shining through and they are exposed for what they are.
    It's as sure as night follows day.

Also why they only ever stay in power until FF are sufficiently rehabilitated in the eyes of the electorate because for all FF's MANY faults, in the end FG are actually worse!

They've had 8 years at it now and a once-in-a-lifetime chance to actually move this country forward in how we do things and the standards applied... but nope - never forget that they were barely in the door when James Reilly started fiddling with the location of Primary Care centres to include his own constituency.

Then there were things like this...

I forgot that even then he liked to tell stories (5:07) :p

This is why FG are never elected except as a protest vote when FF lose the run of themselves, and only until they remind us that they're far more destructive over the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Looks like they're dragging this one on to summer recess, it's blatantly obvious something dodgy went on here, because as sure as your balls hang down, if it had your two in the clear, the blueshirts would have been broadcasting the report from high.

This should not be allowed to go unanswered, leo is treating the public with contempt, but what can be done to get an answer?

Back to emailing TDs and minister's I suppose?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Looks like they're dragging this one on to summer recess, it's blatantly obvious something dodgy went on here, because as sure as your balls hang down, if it had your two in the clear, the blueshirts would have been broadcasting the report from high.

This should not be allowed to go unanswered, leo is treating the public with contempt, but what can be done to get an answer?

Back to emailing TDs and minister's I suppose?

Yeah, i wasnt posting jokes a month ago....
    inforfun wrote: »
    Do nothing till summer recess and hope people have forgotten about this when they return about 3 months later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Watching FG slowly implode in the last few weeks particularly is somewhat amusing, but it's a far better lesson for anyone else who actually bought into the spin as to what they would be voting for in the next election.

The last few weeks really does feel like a Fine Gael implosion, Varadkar can barely turn around these days without scoring an own goal. While I couldnt be arsed over him and Martins petty squabbling in the Dail there was a lot of anger amongst older people about his comments on priests. He literally insulted a sizable cohort of his own voters for no apparent reason.

He is facing into four by-elections and is going around scoring own goals galore, the next set of opinion polls will be interesting because theres a feeling now that people are getting sick of him and a realisation that he has never actually achieved anything of note in his entire political career.

Another business has closed up due to their insurance costs tripling. The nature of the business would have probably meant it was expensive to begin with without the increase.

https://www.facebook.com/1662751677309338/posts/2253133958271104?s=533944972&v=e&sfns=mo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Is there any way to keep track/count of the amount of businesses blaming insurance rates for their closure?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Another business has closed up due to their insurance costs tripling. The nature of the business would have probably meant it was expensive to begin with without the increase.

https://www.facebook.com/1662751677309338/posts/2253133958271104?s=533944972&v=e&sfns=mo
    4x4 Blindfold Driving Experience

I'm sorry but I am siding with the fúcking insurance company on that one. :pac:

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I am siding with the fúcking insurance company on that one. :pac:

It was brilliant, boggles. Had ran for a few years with no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

4x4 Blindfold Driving Experience

Sounds like Leos leadership style

inforfun wrote: »
    Yeah, i wasnt posting jokes a month ago....

I don't think people will have forgotten about it in three years nevermind three months, ironically enough, if he (Leo) had of dealt with it decisively at the time, they probably would have.

This was a classic example of bad/misguided leadership.

The nastiness within Fine Gael is spreading. Some venom at this FG meeting in Kells according to today's Irish Times in the past 2 hours:

Fine Gael investigating alleged comments about former member

They could set up an investigation business at this rate. They’re getting loads of experience.

Leo, P.I.

He’s no Tom Selleck though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Muahahaha wrote: »
    He is facing into four by-elections and is going around scoring own goals galore, the next set of opinion polls will be interesting because theres a feeling now that people are getting sick of him and a realisation that he has never actually achieved anything of note in his entire political career.

In fareness to him, squirming out of the health portfolio and making it look like the omnishambles there is entirely Harris's fault was quite the achievement.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The last few weeks really does feel like a Fine Gael implosion, Varadkar can barely turn around these days without scoring an own goal. While I couldnt be arsed over him and Martins petty squabbling in the Dail there was a lot of anger amongst older people about his comments on priests. He literally insulted a sizable cohort of his own voters for no apparent reason.

The "reason" was because he was being questioned to give specific answers and detail, rather than spin and that didn't sit well with him. He was insulted that he was expected to ANSWER a question - and regardless of anyone's political leanings, that's what people like Martin are there to do as well - and "lashed out" accordingly.

It's immature, it's arrogant, and it's an own goal... but it's also the FG way! His predecessor was much the same, just with less Twitter posts! :rolleyes:

This is exactly it... people are finally starting to realise that Leo has no real track record that can be pointed to to justify his attitude. As Taoiseach he's been even more ineffective but the stakes (for the country) are higher, which makes it more visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They could set up an investigation business at this rate. They’re getting loads of experience.

Leo, P.I.

He’s no Tom Selleck though. :D

I'd have more faith in the Hawaiian shirt.

He blew it. We know FG is a party of chislers pretending to be decent and all 'law and order' but this Bailey thing is a pure GFY to the electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That's sad. The joy really is being sucked out of the country from inaction on insurance.

Well done Fine Gael you pitiful bunch of arrogant fools. Ireland is a much lesser place since you took over. And before the defenders start, there is much more to measure a country by than the economy.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Well done Fine Gael you pitiful bunch of arrogant fools. Ireland is a much lesser place since you took over. And before the defenders start, there is much more to measure a country by than the economy.

That's a very valid point that has been lost in the last decade of recession and recovery era politics.

FG will point to how the economy has recovered under their watch as evidence of their success. Now, leaving aside for a moment that their contributions are debatable (in a small, open economy hugely dependent on FDI and subject to the whims of the global market), is Ireland a better place now too?

Given things like the housing crisis and the effect on ability to buy or even rent, never-ending healthcare issues, cost of living increases, commuting and traffic chaos in Dublin and elsewhere (and those are just the daily headlines), FG have failed massively in improving the situation and have actively made things worse whether it be through inaction or deliberate policy.

We have a situation where working couples (single people are even worse off) can no longer afford to buy a home anywhere near where they want/need to be, where renting a place is a struggle, childcare - and everything else! - costs a fortune, and they're both exhausted from a hour each way in the car (which isn't cheap either!)

Well done FG indeed! (slow clap)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Have fg delivered any projects successfully?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Have fg delivered any projects successfully?

Has any Government ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Has any Government ?

The motorways were all on time... port tunnel was ok?
    A decent government could have delivered Irish water.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Personally I think Coveney would have been a better choice from FG as Taoiseach

Darcy on Morning Ireland earlier.
    Speaking on RTs Morning Ireland, Minister of State for Finance Michael Darcy, declined to answer questions regarding whether the internal report should be published.

“I won’t be commenting on the Maria Bailey case, I’ve never commented on an individual insurance case,” he said.

“It’s a matter for the Taoiseach,” he said.

When pressed if the public have a right to see the report, he said that the Taoiseach will make that decision.

“It’s a matter for the Taoiseach to decide, I can’t pre-judge what the report is going to say, and the Taoiseach will be the person who will have sight of that and make the decision.”

He was then asked if details about the claim were "proper and in order".

“I believe it’s a matter for the Taoiseach to make his decision based on the information that’s presented following the investigation,” he said.

If I didn't know better, I'd guess he's trying to suggest that anger needs to be directed at Leo.....

Are FG about to turn on him?

The motorways were all on time... port tunnel was ok?
    A decent government could have delivered Irish water.

To be fair to FG (Not often I say that! :p), Irish Water became a focal point for pretty much the entire country as a way of saying "enough!"

Now the reaction of the public to Hogan's threats, the Sitserv questions, the general incompetence of IW's billing department, the meter stand-offs etc were fueled by FG's attitude and arrogance, but I don't think any other Government would have gotten IW through as originally intended either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

FG will point to how the economy has recovered under their watch as evidence of their success. Now, leaving aside for a moment that their contributions are debatable (in a small, open economy hugely dependent on FDI and subject to the whims of the global market), is Ireland a better place now too?

They might try and claim the economy as a win, but we paid €60bn in interest in the last decade. We can't even chip away at the €200bn+ debt as we're only covering interest.

It's a sad state of affairs when a country is in so much debt to mostly private entities.

nuac wrote: »
    Personally I think Coveney would have been a better choice from FG as Taoiseach

Nope. He'd be a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Wheety wrote: »
    They might try and claim the economy as a win, but we paid €60bn in interest in the last decade. We can't even chip away at the €200bn+ debt as we're only covering interest.
    I expect we never will. We'll wait for a century of inflation to take care of it. Meanwhile, we're presumably more vulnerable to a downturn while carrying so much debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

mikhail wrote: »
    I expect we never will. We'll wait for a century of inflation to take care of it. Meanwhile, we're presumably more vulnerable to a downturn while carrying so much debt.

The report yesterday said one is 100% likely, just a matter of when. We knew this. Enda got a massive loan and let society go to hell. Leo is a caretaker, not taking care.

• Advertisement

The report yesterday said one is 100% likely, just a matter of when. We knew this. Enda got a massive loan and let society go to hell. Leo is a caretaker, not taking care.

It's the nature of our economic system.. boom and bust, prosperity and downturn.

We however have been saddled with so much debt, have really changed very little, and are back spending like it's the Tiger days that when the next financial crisis hits - it'll make the last one seem like a walk in the park.

Because as well as the increased debt, FG have let core services and societal structures (housing, policing etc) decline so much that the impact will be significantly worse and far more widespread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement