Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei banned in US

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

kneemos wrote: »

Hauwei have their own cards which they introduced earlier this year so not a big impact at all.
    PLus they were only removed from the group..not from being allowed to use SD cards..its not really a biggie at all.
    Providing the US and China sort out their tariff issues this could all be sorted by August...hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Even if it isn't sorted by August, I can't see this being as massive an issue as the media are making out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Suckit wrote: »
    Even if it isn't sorted by August, I can't see this being as massive an issue as the media are making out.

It's a big issue of you can't get the Google play store on them to update apps or can't get your Gmail without installing a third party email app or Google maps. I know there are other stores but none are as easy to live with as Google play services

It's a big issue of you can't get the Google play store on them to update apps or can't get your Gmail without installing a third party email app or Google maps. I know there are other stores but none are as easy to live with as Google play services

Yalp, Aurora. Don't need to use Gmail, but could easily anyway. But current models won't be affected anyway.
    I honestly don't think it would be as big a deal, but reckon it will be sorted anyway come August.
    It would be a very big deal for Huawei future models, but they can limit them and maybe even leave them open enough for communities to work with. That mightn't solve anything but may help with sales while waiting for it to be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

How did Amazon handle people's refunds?

I've been told to contact Huawei directly instead.

• Advertisement

I don't think amazon are accepting returns at the moment while it no longer is an issue (for the time being). Unless there is a legit problem with your phone and it is inside warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

I got told that the first time too. Went on chat a second time and got a refund slip. First Live chat was the afternoon Google announced they were pulling support in the future.

Second live chat was just the morning after google announcement (90 day reprieve had been announced by USA by then).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Yalp, Aurora. Don't need to use Gmail, but could easily anyway. But current models won't be affected anyway.
    I honestly don't think it would be as big a deal, but reckon it will be sorted anyway come August.
    It would be a very big deal for Huawei future models, but they can limit them and maybe even leave them open enough for communities to work with. That mightn't solve anything but may help with sales while waiting for it to be sorted.

This would be the ideal direction to go down if all negotiations fail ∆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

leanin2019 wrote: »
    I got told that the first time too. Went on chat a second time and got a refund slip. First Live chat was the afternoon Google announced they were pulling support in the future.

Second live chat was just the morning after google announcement (90 day reprieve had been announced by USA by then).

Sorted and refund issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

This would be the ideal direction to go down if all negotiations fail ∆
    Unfortunately Huawei have been going the opposite direction lately. Was thinking it would be handy to pick one up for cheap now and flash custom ROM, but they seem to have stopped allowing the bootloader to be unlocked.

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    Unfortunately Huawei have been going the opposite direction lately. Was thinking it would be handy to pick one up for cheap now and flash custom ROM, but they seem to have stopped allowing the bootloader to be unlocked.

Bootloader can still be unlocked for a charge. Depending on where you go/look for it the prices vary.

Bootloader can still be unlocked for a charge. Depending on where you go/look for it the prices vary.
    You sure? From the small bit of research I did it looked like they've rolled back on that again too. Could be wrong about that though.
    Either way, the custom ROM scene seems to be very sparse at the moment. I guess that could do a 180 if there's a sudden influx of cheap Huaweis with unlockable bootloaders.

I would guess that Huawei will allow the bootloaders to be unlocked if things don't go their way in August.

But unofficially - https://funkyhuawei.club/
    https://funkyhuawei.club/tools

Huawei / Honor Bootloader Unlock Code

Bootloader unlock code availability has ended. Please check back again.
    We do not have any ETA or any way to tell you when they will be available again.
    When they are available again we will announce on twitter @FunkyHuawei and on this site.
    FunkyHuawei codes have been gone for a few months now according to xda-developer. From the comments I've seen in their forums, there's nowhere to get them at the moment. This seems to have been the direction Huawei have been going prior to the US ban and I don't see any reason for them to change it now. There's no benefit to them in people unlocking bootloaders and flashing whatever they want

xckjoo wrote: »
    FunkyHuawei codes have been gone for a few months now according to xda-developer. From the comments I've seen in their forums, there's nowhere to get them at the moment. This seems to have been the direction Huawei have been going prior to the US ban and I don't see any reason for them to change it now. There's no benefit to them in people unlocking bootloaders and flashing whatever they want

Funky Huawei was just one, there were others. I haven't checked them, but did see comments by people within the past few weeks saying they paid and got it done. Maybe on ministryofsolutions or global unlocking solutions etc.

If not possible on those then maybe the Huawei thread on XDA might help.
    I think there is a benefit, a massive benefit if things don't go their way in August. Their unfinished OS might be good, but it still won't convince a lot of people. If the bootloader remains locked, then I doubt that will help with sales either.
    There are a load of threads on Reddit too about it, and mailing Huawei.

It might only be a matter of time before somebody finds how the codes work too.

Funky Huawei was just one, there were others. I haven't checked them, but did see comments by people within the past few weeks saying they paid and got it done. Maybe on ministryofsolutions or global unlocking solutions etc.

If not possible on those then maybe the Huawei thread on XDA might help.
    I think there is a benefit, a massive benefit if things don't go their way in August. Their unfinished OS might be good, but it still won't convince a lot of people. If the bootloader remains locked, then I doubt that will help with sales either.
    There are a load of threads on Reddit too about it, and mailing Huawei.

It might only be a matter of time before somebody finds how the codes work too.

Both say unlock codes currently unavailable. I'd say they were getting them from Huawei somehow and that avenue has been stopped. XDA is where I'm getting my info. Multiple posts saying it's not currently possible in any way. Seems to have happened around mid April of this year.

The number of consumers who even know what a bootloader is is vanishingly small. Can't see any commercial benefit to them going down the route of releasing unlock codes, and it seems to be the opposite direction to which they've recently been going. They aren't going to sell many phones on the back of being able to jump through multiple hoops to install custom ROMs that they'll offer no support for.

As it stands, I'd have to assume the risk of the phones never being unlockable to be quite high.

I think devices prior to May last year can still be unlocked. Any devices after that require a code that Huawei are no longer giving out.
    So it may require somebody to find out how to extract the codes or a similar method to Huawei.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

Hi I contacted Amazon support last week and they offered me a refund.
    They have sent me a a return label
    Problem is I'm not back in Ireland until July.
    I did tell them this

Do you think they will still meet it

I have accidentally left returning something for a couple of weeks before. Not sure how long it was, but I think I just got back on to chat and told them I was unable to send it back then. They just linked me to a new label that they had made there. I think the date is on the label.

https://interestingengineering.com/huaweis-new-os-accelerates-plans-to-challenge-google-apples-dominance
    There would certainly be a level of prestige that would come from running a popular OS, and the moderately localized nature of China’s software ecosystem makes the development of a China-based operating system a tempting proposition. Weibo is one of the most popular apps in the world owing almost exclusively to its popularity in China, most in the West haven't even heard of it. Even if a Huawei OS never left the Chinese mainland, it might still become the second most popular OS in the world.

Now, after the US government blacklisted the company, forcing Western businesses to effectively abandon all ties with Huawei, the rollout of a new operating system isn’t just a matter of pride, it might very well be an existential necessity. But in this moment of crisis for the Chinese tech giant, there is an enormous opportunity if they are able to seize it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Have prices for Huawei phones dropped?

• Advertisement

smilerf wrote: »
    I did tell them this

Told me on Amazon Live Chat I had 30 days to return the item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Told me on Amazon Live Chat I had 30 days to return the item.

From when you bought it?

smilerf wrote: »
    I did tell them this

Explain your situation on live chat and get a transcript of the chat. They might be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublingreen

I lost my Huawei P9 lite last weekend. Decent phone, bad idea to replace it with another huawei after the US ban?

There have been a few flash sales, probably 'just in case'.
    I lost my Huawei P9 lite last weekend. Decent phone, bad idea to replace it with another huawei after the US ban?

It wouldn't stop me. The ban mightn't effect us. Or it mightn't even happen. Germany looking at the legalities of the effect it would have here if it was to go ahead.

Even if it did go ahead, I'd take my chances. Ban would probably be lifted after a while or phone won't have issues for a decent length of time (without having to do any modding etc.). There are good alternatives to using the play store too,

If I wanted to buy a Huawei, this wouldn't stop me.

my3cents wrote: »
    From when you bought it?

from the return label date. From when I bought it wouldn't make sense. As I bought it over 5 months ago >150 days

I'd fire ahead if you change your phone fairly regularly. You'll probably get a year or so out of it even if Huawei decide to never sell outside China again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cex are offering very little for used ones anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Trump ‘allows’ Huawei to buy some ‘non-national security’ tech… if China buys more US farm produce

I will love to go back on this thread and read the "history events" listed as a time traveller...

Phones versus food … more HERE @RT

and HERE . @AsiaTimes

and highly trusted security reports HERE . @TheGuardian

• Advertisement
Advertisement