Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei banned in US

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yep, we can't use Huawei phones in work due to this and the previous measure the US took. My poor p20 (work phone) was confiscated, best phone I've had too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Price of the phones will be going up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd be more inclined to buy one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

What happens to exist devices in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

To support US companies? Or just as a tool of trade war?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Trump reckons the Huawei devices could be used as spying gadgets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

To support US companies? Or just as a tool of trade war?

I'm not sure it does. The other providers of mobile networking infrastructure are largely European. This sends a heap of business to Ericsson and Nokia.

Huawei actually used a lot of US tech components and licenced technologies from various companies like Broadcom, Qualcomm etc etc

Also Huawei out of the picture for handsets benefits probably Samsung and other android makers almost all of whom are Asian, much more so than Apple, as iPhone users tend to be less likely to switch than users of other Android devices as they aren't going to have to jump ecosystems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

keano25 wrote: »

Good thing apple have never has a spying issue

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

keano25 wrote: »

This is nuts on an epic scale. Imagine the times when a conspiracy theory like this would laughed out of it.

What happens if traveling to the USA with a Huawoi phone? Presume it gets confiscated?

Good thing apple have never has a spying issue

To be fair, Apple fought the FBI and refused point blank to crack an iPhone during a criminal investigation.

However, it's more the infrastructure providers that have been very open to having lawful interception installed and that includes all of them.

I would like to see public information on what this Huawei risk actually is though. I think if the US genuinely has information they should be putting it out there and letting consumers elsewhere make up their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

road_high wrote: »
    This is nuts on an epic scale. Imagine the times when a conspiracy theory like this would laughed out of it.

What happens if traveling to the USA with a Huawoi phone? Presume it gets confiscated?

FBI, CIA , homeland security etc etc etc

Trump doesn't decide everything ffs

It's a huge issue in Ireland as a lot of our recent FTTx equipment is Huawei.

OpenEir used Huawei gear for fibre to cabinet services and are using them for FTTH, but not their core networks.

Siro is all Huawei to the point of actually having Huawei do the wiring in Cork City.

Mostly we wouldn't be aware of way vendors most of those companies use. So it's likely there's loads of Huawei gear in recent networks all over Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

road_high wrote:

I doubt it, I'd say it's more that the sale of new ones has been banned.

Mind you, nothing would surprise me from that batsh*t crazy country anymore.

The issue is more serious if US multinationals start to require Huawei-free networks outside of the US. That could be extremely costly for telcos.

The only thing Huawei can really do is to incorporate Huawei international transparently out of reach of the Chinese government.

Anteayer wrote: »
    To be fair, Apple fought the FBI and refused point blank to crack an iPhone during a criminal investigation.

However, it's more the infrastructure providers that have been very open to having lawful interception installed and that includes all of them.

I would like to see public information on what this Huawei risk actually is though. I think if the US genuinely has information they should be putting it out there and letting consumers elsewhere make up their minds.

They only denied it because it was like a month or two after the prism thing was exposed and they needed to buy good pr

There are very legitimate concerns about China due to lack of transparency and the fact it is an authoritarian state that runs like a company.

However, they need to lay those concerns out in public so that we can all analyse the risks and see that they're not just political posturing to damage Huawei.

If there's a genuine risk, I would like to know about it.

If Trump is just smearing a tech company for no reason, we need to know about that too.

Either way, the solution to this is transparency by the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I wasn't under the impression this affected phones, just telecoms equipment, right?

TheChizler wrote: »
    I wasn't under the impression this affected phones, just telecoms equipment, right?

No. It's very broad.

See the executive order: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-securing-information-communications-technology-services-supply-chain/

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-securing-information-communications-technology-services-supply-chain/

They have also placed Huawei and 70 affiliates onto the Entity List
    The Export Administration Regulations (EAR) contain a list of names of certain foreign persons – including businesses, research institutions, government and private organizations, individuals, and other types of legal persons – that are subject to specific license requirements for the export, reexport and/or transfer (in-country) of specified items. These persons comprise the Entity List, which is found in Supplement No. 4 to Part 744 of the EAR. On an individual basis, the persons on the Entity List are subject to licensing requirements and policies supplemental to those found elsewhere in the EAR.

That has the potential of completely destroying Huawei's supply chain as it could make it impossible for them to get access to components or technologies from companies like Qualcomm and potentially even the Android OS or components of it e.g. around cryptography etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

There are very legitimate concerns about China due to lack of transparency and the fact it is an authoritarian state that runs like a company.

However, they need to lay those concerns out in public so that we can all analyse the risks and see that they're not just political posturing to damage Huawei.

If there's a genuine risk, I would like to know about it.

If Trump is just smearing a tech company for no reason, we need to know about that too.

Either way, the solution to this is transparency by the US.

An authoritarian state that's run like a company !!! Just like trumpy is trying to do

• Advertisement

An authoritarian state that's run like a company !!! Just like trumpy is trying to do

One's trying and largely failing. The other succeeded. There's a bit of a difference.
    Trump may think he's CEO of the US, but he's floundering all over the place and doesn't have anything like absolute power. Xi, on the other hand, does.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the US can do plenty of crazy and bad stuff and is currently off in a wave of populist nativism and all sorts of other stuff, but it's still an open democracy with a constitutionally protected ability to criticise the state. Try that in China and you simply disappear.

Trump is openly lampooned every day all the time across social media, television, radio, newspapers and so on. If you tried to do that with the Chinese premier in China you'd find it more than a tad uncomfortable.

One's trying and largely failing. The other succeeded. There's a bit of a difference.
    Trump may think he's CEO of the US, but he's floundering all over the place and doesn't have anything like absolute power. Xi, on the other hand, does.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the US can do plenty of crazy and bad stuff and is currently off in a wave of populist nativism and all sorts of other stuff, but it's still an open democracy with a constitutionally protected ability to criticise the state. Try that in China and you simply disappear.

Trump is openly lampooned every day all the time across social media, television, radio, newspapers and so on. If you tried to do that with the Chinese premier in China you'd find it more than a tad uncomfortable.

Wasn't someone arrested for comparing xi to whinnie the pooh?

Wasn't someone arrested for comparing xi to whinnie the pooh?

Well they outright banned a Winnie the Pooh movie.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/07/china-bans-winnie-the-pooh-film-to-stop-comparisons-to-president-xi

They're completely ****ed now.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/05/19/huaweis-future-phones-reportedly-wont-have-access-to-google-services-including-the-play-store/

Last week, the United States added Huawei to its 'Entity List', meaning US companies can't do business with Huawei without explicit government approval. A report from Reuters claims Google is ceasing most partnerships with Huawei, and future phones from the company won't have access to the Play Store and other services.

Reuters claims that Google has stopped providing Huawei with hardware and software products, except those covered by open source licenses. In other words, while Huawei can still use Android itself, most proprietary services will be inaccessible — including the Google Play Store, Gmail, and presumably anything else that requires the closed-source Play Services Framework.

The exact details are still being discussed internally at Google, according to a source that spoke with Reuters. The move could also prevent Huawei from updating its existing phones, as the updates can't be re-certified for Play Store access.

If this ends up being true, it would be a critical blow to Huawei's smartphone business. While the company could theoretically partner with non-American companies to provide alternatives to Google's applications (or use the in-house operating system it has been working on for a while), the lack of Play Store access would be a major drawback to any potential buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

That would finish Huawei's smartphone business. Would be a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The great free market engaging in protectionism

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    That would finish Huawei's smartphone business. Would be a real shame.

The bit about existing phones possibly not being allowed to be updated would be worrying for owners too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

I just upgraded to a Huawei phone a month ago. Seriously annoyed now. If they can't update the software and access the play store it will be glorified brick in about 6 months once out of date apps etc stop working. I imagine the networks will have a lot of annoyed customers looking to return their phones. I can't see China standing by and letting this go unanswered. Wouldn't be surprised if Apple will be accused of spying on the next few days and get shut out of the Chinese Market.

What's the real (actual real) reason the US are doing this anyway? You'd assume if they get what they want then this will all go away anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

lawred2 wrote: »
    The great free market engaging in protectionism

That's it in a nutshell

Advertisement