Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei banned in US

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Hopefully, but a precedent has now been set (whether or not Huawei are blocked from Google services). Be interesting to see how this shapes the future of smartphone OS.

My current phone is an honor - absolutely superb phone. I was really looking forward to my next phone being Huawei. Hopefully they're let back into the fold.

Everything will be well sorted out permanently before August.

It's basically this.

https://twitter.com/RDRv3/status/1130589170328526848?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Everything will be well sorted out permanently before August.

It's basically this.

https://twitter.com/RDRv3/status/1130589170328526848?s=19

Kinda wonder in a way did google understand the implications of cutting ties with huawei and in essence has google and the other tech companies in the US called trumps administrations bluff ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Kinda wonder in a way did google understand the implications of cutting ties with huawei and in essence has google and the other tech companies in the US called trumps administrations bluff ...

Called Trump's bluff??? What show are you watching at all.
    Do any of you people understand what's really happened here at all?

So just to make sure there's no google bias here I'm a mad apple fan for the past 10 years or so but I just jumped ship today to the mate 20 pro.

Trump added Huawei to the restricted entity list over the weekend.
    That immediately means all US companies are now banned from providing any technical support/software/hardware to Huawei.
    Google didn't have any choice but to immediately comply with this law and started laying out plans to do so.
    Its possible Trump didn't think this one out as he normally doesn't but the backlash over Google I imagine would have been discussed fairly high up the chain.
    So US commerce dept has now stepped in and provided a temp exclusion for Huawei until Aug hopefully by then the US and China will have sorted out their trade war. If not might as kiss those phones goodbye.

I'm always ready to hammer google for their dodgy dealings, sneakily selling advertising data etc but this was a bad day for Google too. Its shown to manufacturers that the US can basically block their access to android and updates with the stroke of a pen and a godsend to Apple. Sure they might have to move manufacturing but if Android took a big hit Apple would be sure to step up and say ..listen here folks..we're an American company with an American OS and its our own hardware. No one will be blocking our software etc blah blah they would probably get a nice little boost in sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Blazer wrote: »
    I'm a mad apple fan for the past 10 years or so but I just jumped ship today to the mate 20 pro.

Kinda weird timing, jumping onto a Huawei Mate 20 Pro on the very day that it's announced the phones may no longer work down the line? :confused:

Probably could have gotten it cheaper a week or so from now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

a temp exclusion for Huawei until Aug hopefully by then the US and China will have sorted out their trade war. If not might as kiss those phones goodbye. If not might as kiss those phones goodbye.
    By then Huawei will probably have a contingency plan ready to go into effect. It won't be like ZTE last year. They will have a decent headstart on their AOSP updates if need be, or roll out their own OS on them.
    I'm always ready to hammer google for their dodgy dealings, sneakily selling advertising data etc but this was a bad day for Google too. Its shown to manufacturers that the US can basically block their access to android and updates with the stroke of a pen and a godsend to Apple. Sure they might have to move manufacturing but if Android took a big hit Apple would be sure to step up and say ..listen here folks..we're an American company with an American OS and its our own hardware. No one will be blocking our software etc blah blah they would probably get a nice little boost in sales.
    For sure, but I'm not so sure Apple will be the main ones to benefit. Most likely Samsung or other Chinese manufacturers.
    Sailfish have probably already started looking at porting to Huawei devices (they'd be crazy not to).
    If the restrictions were to be reintroduced in August, I'd imagine people will find it relatively easy to install another OS on their Huawei devices if they choose.

• Advertisement

I personally don't care about the phone issue. I'm on an Honor 10 and know I can flash gapps or a different rom if it goes off the deep-end.

It's about time the public were made aware of why all this is happening. At the moment, it seems like conjecture that the Chinese government could potentially have back doors. Or have I missed something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I personally don't care about the phone issue. I'm on an Honor 10 and know I can flash gapps or a different rom if it goes off the deep-end.

It's about time the public were made aware of why all this is happening. At the moment, it seems like conjecture that the Chinese government could potentially have back doors. Or have I missed something?

It's just an extension of trump's bull**** failing trade war. There's no justification for their approach here. Literally no evidence furnished. All claims so far published by US media outlets exposed as laughable fantasy stuff.

The US claim China *might* *maybe* be able to force Huawei to give them access to their devices/infrastructure because of the founders links to the communist party, but have no proof for any of it. At the same time they're literally suing Apple to allow the NSA unfettered acces to iPhones.

It's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Western Lowland Gorilla

Went on amazon chat twice and the second time they relented and gave me a return label for both my Huawei Mate 20 phone (499 sterling refund) and MediaPad M5 Tablet (269 sterling refund).

Hesistant to return it though. But I do see a decent deal on a new S10 128GB (578 pounds) or pixel 3 XL 64GB for 599 pounds (best camera apparently)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Nosnon wrote: »
    This has probably been asked and answered. On android phones there is a pile of crap I don't want. Maps,youtube,drive etc. I never use them but can't get rid of them. Can I now get rid of them?. I have a Huawei, Its my 3rd one and will be upgrading shortly with another one.

No need to go down custom rom route if you can issue adb commands as well as bootloader most likely locked on Huawei phones unless it's already unlocked before they stopped that.

I use adb commands (elevated command prompt) to get rid of the Google/Samsung/Microsoft pre-installed crap.

USB debugging and trust between phone and pc must be on

Get package name

eg, com.android.chrome and this command:
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0

so to uninstall Chrome would be:
    adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.chrome

To get a list of apps and their real names use:
    adb shell pm list packages

*This works on my Samsung, I'm pretty sure it should work on your Huawei

If you reset/reinstall phone you'll have to do the adb commands again

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

Hurrache wrote: »
    Difference here is that Huawei are already well established and have a huge potential installation base already in place.

I wonder how many others will follow suit, I'm looking at you Argos.

I am going to contact Agros today about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭smilerf

Amazon have offered me a full refund on my Mate 10 pro.
    But will I get as good as phone for 450

Any recommendations

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Amazon have offered me a full refund on my mate 20 Pro as well about 600 euros.

Trying to work out what to replace it with?.

One plus 7 Pro? Issue here is that it's a China phone again

Or Google pixal 3 xl?.

I was thinking of a iPhone xs max but can't see myself paying a 1000 euros for a phone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

What's the real (actual real) reason the US are doing this anyway? You'd assume if they get what they want then this will all go away anyway.

I was wondering if it had anything to do with them replacing apple as the second largest seller of mobile phones worldwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Western Lowland Gorilla

Went on amazon chat twice and the second time they relented and gave me a return label for both my Huawei Mate 20 phone (499 sterling refund) and MediaPad M5 Tablet (269 sterling refund).

Hesistant to return it though. But I do see a decent deal on a new S10 128GB (578 pounds) or pixel 3 XL 64GB for 599 pounds (best camera apparently)
    smilerf wrote: »
    Amazon have offered me a full refund on my Mate 10 pro.
    But will I get as good as phone for 450

Any recommendations

Thanks
    Amazon have offered me a full refund on my mate 20 Pro as well about 600 euros.

Trying to work out what to replace it with?.

One plus 7 Pro? Issue here is that it's a China phone again

Or Google pixal 3 xl?.

I was thinking of a iPhone xs max but can't see myself paying a 1000 euros for a phone

I ended up ordering a s10 128gb dual sim from wow camera for £578(€679). Saw it on hotukdeals where its trending.. Deal Ends tomorrow apparently

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/new-samsung-s10-580-128gb-8gb-ram-2-years-official-samsung-uk-warranty-3230821

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

McGaggs wrote: »
    I was wondering if it had anything to do with them replacing apple as the second largest seller of mobile phones worldwide?

I have a felling it's more down to 5G as the us does not won't China to get ahead of them on this so they think blocking all US business who provide support to China on 5g is the best way forward and shows us that the US is the best in the world.

The US has been like for dunkeys years a example would be the concord plane the us could not make one so they blocked it from flying in there airspace

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

Is argos and amazon pretty much giving everyone a refund now on Huawei and Honor phones that have been bought recently then,thus will cost them millions,i have the Honor Play,have it 6 months or so

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wife loves the honor phone I bought her for Christmas. Won't be happy when I tell her I might have to return it and get a phone nowhere near the same standard for that price.

America picking fights with China, Russia and Iran.

Can see all this ending well for us.

I
    The US has been like for dunkeys years a example would be the concord plane the us could not make one so they blocked it from flying in there airspace

Huh? The concorde used to fly from London to New York all the time.
    I think that NY is part of the US airspace? 🀔

The problem here is the US government does not trust Huawei with 5g networks.
    Huawei has been caught several times with backdoors in their networks which they built for foreign governments, originally it was the Australian security force who found the backdoors in their security system which Huawei built for them .
    Since then numerous other so calledbackdoors has been found in Huawei deviced specifically Vodafone modems etc.

The US concern is that any information they pass to their allies can be intercepted by Huawei and the Chinese government since the founder is a former Chinese military soldier.
    If Huawei only made phones the US wouldn't care but 5g networks they can't be risked.
    At best Huawei are incompetent about security at worst they've allowed the Chinese government backdoor access to their networks globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

manutd83 wrote: »
    Is argos and amazon pretty much giving everyone a refund now on Huawei and Honor phones that have been bought recently then,thus will cost them millions,i have the Honor Play,have it 6 months or so

Are argos giving out refunds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Huh? The concorde used to fly from London to New York all the time.
    I think that NY is part of the US airspace? ��

The problem here is the US government does not trust Huawei with 5g networks.
    Huawei has been caught several times with backdoors in their networks which they built for foreign governments, originally it was the Australian security force who found the backdoors in their security system which Huawei built for them .
    Since then numerous other so calledbackdoors has been found in Huawei deviced specifically Vodafone modems etc.

The US concern is that any information they pass to their allies can be intercepted by Huawei and the Chinese government since the founder is a former Chinese military soldier.
    If Huawei only made phones the US wouldn't care but 5g networks they can't be risked.
    At best Huawei are incompetent about security at worst they've allowed the Chinese government backdoor access to their networks globally.

Great economical explanation and review, thanks !
    Any proves,any technical facts,listings and so on !?

Brits cracked open their equipment and found nothing.
    We are using the chinese routers and still no visible known issues,so far.
    No security guru in the industry was able to prove the "so called backdoors" !
    Why Russians are not saying anything ? Or North Korea ? Or Iran !? Just to name few of the best hacking schools on this planet ...

At my smaller scale and lower field of operation,i will keep all my phones as this war will end up sooner.Mayeb buy one more if the scare drops the price .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Whilst it doesn’t concern us as end users, the idea that Huawei should not be used for critical US infrastructure is not new. That was the bipartisan conclusion of the House Intelligence Committee in a very unfavorable report back in 2012. What’s different about it now, seven years later, is that Huawei is the leader in the next telecommunications technology and is, if not prohibited, going to become the provider of a critical US service.

It may be that Trump is using it as leverage in a trade war, but that does not deny that a security threat is possible and that those arguments remain just as valid if there is a trade war or not. Even yesterday, the issue came up with drones. https://www.cnet.com/news/homeland-security-reportedly-warns-of-chinese-made-drones-stealing-data/

If you look at the various media reports conferring with security experts, they basically come split equally in about three categories.

One is “there is no threat or it is minimal”, one is “it’s possible, but would make no economic sense for Huawei to do it”, and one is “it’s a viable threat”. Of those, the second is irrelevant. If it comes to it, especially in event of conflict, the Chinese may well decide that the cost of economic lost opportunity is worth the advantage over the US that the risk of detection gives. The other two come down to a judgement call of risk/reward for the US. European governments have their concerns as well. When the EU decided in March to not ban Huawei, it was not “we have no concerns” but a judgement call in their opinion that the concerns did not justify the ban.

Historically, the US has made decisions which may well prove to be more expensive in order to retain its national security goals. This would be in keeping with that tradition. The bottom line for the US, if they conclude the Huawei is safe to provide the US’s telecoms infrastructure, what is the potential cost if they are wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I wonder will we see Trump follow up and ban other Chinese tech firms such as Xiaomi?

rolion wrote: »
    Great economical explanation and review, thanks !
    Any proves,any technical facts,listings and so on !?

Brits cracked open their equipment and found nothing.
    We are using the chinese routers and still no visible known issues,so far.
    No security guru in the industry was able to prove the "so called backdoors" !
    Why Russians are not saying anything ? Or North Korea ? Or Iran !? Just to name few of the best hacking schools on this planet ...

At my smaller scale and lower field of operation,i will keep all my phones as this war will end up sooner.Mayeb buy one more if the scare drops the price .

The problem is some security experts claim these are potential backdoors while other experts claim they're just standard security bugs inherit in all designs.
    Even as far back as 2009 firms were finding these so-called backdoors.
    Now its entirely possible that Hauwei are simply getting the backlash for their lack of security concepts etc which you could accuse all tech firms off really.
    The problem here is their backed by the Chinese government. Can the US really take a risk sharing their secret data with allies over 5g networks and beyond??
    Lets say they go ahead and in 10 years time US and China have another trade war and potentially it goes to war.
    Huawei are approached by the Chinese government and ordered to give their cyber teams access to the entire US network linked to Huawei technology.
    Can you imagine the damage the Chinese could do to the US? It would be colossal and the war would be over in a matter of days if the US cyber teams were not good enough or early enough to block them.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0430/1046566-vodafone-huawei/

I wonder will we see Trump follow up and ban other Chinese tech firms such as Xiaomi?

It's doubtful as they're only involved in phone manufacture unlike Huawei and ZTE who also are involved in networks. Smartphones account for about 40% of Hauweis revenue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

So,basically all is based on asumptions and possible threats but unconfirmed.
    All economical and none technological confirmed.

Great,i get it.Thanks

A few Qs,please,thanks.

Q1. Why then the US pushes that everyone in this world not use this particular provider ?
    If issues with the US and allies,why spend money and time to travel and persuade other governemnts ?

Q2.I mean,the UK said no issues as long as none present in the middle / centre / core of the network.That drove US mad and banned today...
    France and Germany said is open market despite the US listening to Merkel's phone confirmed by the secret service of the Germany.
    Why is EU as a block does not seen so active in this issue as the US ?

Q3.Why the US hasnt proved any issues with a technical report,possible exists anbd they dont want to expose the source ? Like it happened with NSA and Cisco ?

Q4.Why there is no activity / reports /complains from the other side of the terrorist country such as Rusia,Iran and North Kores, as named by some governments across the world ? I think according to some sources,those hackers are very good to infiltrate well secured networks,why nothing came up even on the underground internet sources ? Are they all in the same bed ?

Q5.Why China is not responding to this war or ban with a "tit for tat" ? Very easy to ban US based funds or companies in reciprocal manner to the american actions... What keeps them so quiet and dunno,more strategic "wait and see" i will say ?

Q6 If US of A thinks about Chinese party doing the massiv master "power off" kill switch OR mirroring all the data packets.... what exactly can be said about american based sourced controlled technology around the world ? Can the EU say the same about the dunno,Cisco or Avaya or HP !?

Q7. If Huawey are backed by the Chinese Party or military as everyone says around here ... a private stock listed company as Google is not under American Government control,isnt !?? Or is it... just proven !? Or is only Google and not Microsoft or any other company even if is based or trading microchips in Germany ?

Q8. If Chinese Party wants control of the data or information,what damage can they do ? I mean they can oblige a company to cooperate with them but is the same rule across the ocean so ,dont get it here,why is fine one way but not other ? Can they manipulate the stocks or create economical / political advantage or changes? Why steal something that is at basic level,create a betetr product /service and then are at years distance than the original plans / prototype ?

Q21.Anyone heard / seen anything new news about Edward Snowden lately !?

Thanks,i know i went off topic from Android...

rolion wrote: »
    So,basically all is based on asumptions and possible threats but unconfirmed.
    All economical and none technological confirmed.

Great,i get it.Thanks

A few Qs,please,thanks.

Q1. Why then the US pushes that everyone in this world not use this particular provider ?
    If issues with the US and allies,why spend money and time to travel and persuade other governemnts ?

Q2.I mean,the UK said no issues as long as none present in the middle / centre / core of the network.That drove US mad and banned today...
    France and Germany said is open market despite the US listening to Merkel's phone confirmed by the secret service of the Germany.
    Why is EU as a block does not seen so active in this issue as the US ?

Q3.Why the US hasnt proved any issues with a technical report,possible exists anbd they dont want to expose the source ? Like it happened with NSA and Cisco ?

Q4.Why there is no activity / reports /complains from the other side of the terrorist country such as Rusia,Iran and North Kores, as named by some governments across the world ? I think according to some sources,those hackers are very good to infiltrate well secured networks,why nothing came up even on the underground internet sources ? Are they all in the same bed ?

Q5.Why China is not responding to this war or ban with a "tit for tat" ? Very easy to ban US based funds or companies in reciprocal manner to the american actions... What keeps them so quiet and dunno,more strategic "wait and see" i will say ?

Q6 If US of A thinks about Chinese party doing the massiv master "power off" kill switch OR mirroring all the data packets.... what exactly can be said about american based sourced controlled technology around the world ? Can the EU say the same about the dunno,Cisco or Avaya or HP !?

Q7. If Huawey are backed by the Chinese Party or military as everyone says around here ... a private stock listed company as Google is not under American Government control,isnt !?? Or is it... just proven !? Or is only Google and not Microsoft or any other company even if is based or trading microchips in Germany ?

Q8. If Chinese Party wants control of the data or information,what damage can they do ? I mean they can oblige a company to cooperate with them but is the same rule across the ocean so ,dont get it here,why is fine one way but not other ? Can they manipulate the stocks or create economical / political advantage or changes? Why steal something that is at basic level,create a betetr product /service and then are at years distance than the original plans / prototype ?

Q21.Anyone heard / seen anything new news about Edward Snowden lately !?

Thanks,i know i went off topic from Android...

All of these have been answered plenty of times in the thread. People need to start reading through it without repeating the same stuff over and over again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Huawei's chief speaks following Washingtons decision to restrict technology sales to Chinese telecoms giant, currently live now on RT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's probably worth buying one at this stage seeing as the extension will see all sorted out.

I wouldn't go mad returning one if I liked it anyway.

_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

All of these have been answered plenty of times in the thread. People need to start reading through it without repeating the same stuff over and over again

No they haven't. There has been literally zero evidence based arguements presented by the US or its shills as to why this ban is in place. Even their allies are stating it's not an issue.

• Advertisement

No they haven't. There has been literally zero evidence based arguements presented by the US or its shills as to why this ban is in place. Even their allies are stating it's not an issue.

Of course the UK are saying its not an issue. They're bloody using Huawei. May signed off on it against the advice of her experts. You're obviously either clueless about technology or blatantly anti US.

Advertisement