Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei banned in US

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

my3cents wrote: »
    So whats to say that Huawei don't come out with their own OS that in time will come to rival Google?

They may well do but it's unlikely to rival Android outside China. It's VERY hard to crack a market that this large and established with a huge ecosystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

zep wrote: »
    So Amazon offered a refund base on the News? I've always had high praise for their customer service but I'm even surprised by this. Fair play Amazon.

So I contacted Amazon chat today and they said I have 1 year from purchase date (which was last December 2018) to return my Huawei Watch 2 for a full refund if it no longer works due to Google's changes.

Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

rolion wrote: »
    Any ideea what OSes will work great on the phones,anyone have tried them and feedback ,please !? Any good sites where i can get more literature,thanks.
    Read that Huawei has/had/have in plan their own operating system,any ideea what and where can we "taste" it ?

Besides ubuntu touch which I know nothing about and it needs certain devices, there are custom Android roms for loads of devices

Start here and search for your device:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Anteayer wrote: »
    They may well do but it's unlikely to rival Android outside China. It's VERY hard to crack a market that this large and established with a huge ecosystem.

Difference here is that Huawei are already well established and have a huge potential installation base already in place.
    mrcheez wrote: »
    So I contacted Amazon chat today and they said I have 1 year from purchase date (which was last December 2018) to return my Huawei Watch 2 for a full refund if it no longer works due to Google's changes.

Nice!

I wonder how many others will follow suit, I'm looking at you Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hurrache wrote: »
    Difference here is that Huawei are already well established and have a huge potential installation base already in place.

Yes, people who are all already tied into the Google eco system

• Advertisement

Yes, people who are all already tied into the Google eco system

Surprisingly many aren't, there's a lot who won't care what OS they have if their phone works and has their apps.

Now I'm fully integrated and won't be switching as I like Android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

They're effectively only another Android OEM. If they don't run Android, nobody will pay much attention to them. Launching a new OS is extremely challenging.

Surprisingly many aren't, there's a lot who won't care what OS they have if their phone works and has their apps.

Now I'm fully integrated and won't be switching as I like Android.

You talking about iPhone users?

Most of the Android users who claim they aren't are completely integrated and they don't realise it. Like my Mam and Dad. They would be lost now if they lost Google services like Gmail, YouTube, Chrome and maps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

There's bigger implications after that Huawei ban. All the Eir exchanges and cabinets use Huawei gear with Broadcom chips. Broadcom are US so no more firmware updates. Eir are not alone, Siro also use Huawei gear as do BT in the UK and Dutch and German telecoms also
    Seems to only concern any Google software on a Huawei device. Basically only relates to Android Phones...............so far.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Seems to only concern any Google software on a Huawei device. Basically only relates to Android Phones...............so far.

Until Broadcom announce they have to cut ties. And Microsoft, and Intel....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Until Broadcom announce they have to cut ties

They already have

You talking about iPhone users?

Most of the Android users who claim they aren't are completely integrated and they don't realise it. Like my Mam and Dad. They would be lost now if they lost Google services like Gmail, YouTube, Chrome and maps

No, the people who use the very basic features and don't fully buy into the ecosystem, those who don't even know their photos can be synced to their Google account, if they had one, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I wonder will a load of Huawei/Honor phones start appearing in warehouse deals. If they do, will surely be cheaper allowing for a lot of tinkering to try out other OS's.
    I've never seen Huawei mentioned in Sailfish blogs though. The newest version was released around 2 weeks ago, but they haven't made any real movement in a long time. Their last big announcement was that they won the contract for the Russian Government as the alternative to Android or iOS.
    Although with the bootloader locked....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Can Google not just sell through another company registered in Ireland. I know they own companies all over the world.

Why don't they just create an Irish company, give the software to them for free, and allow them to work with Huawei? I mean for all consumers outside the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

CPTM wrote: »
    Can Google not just sell through another company registered in Ireland. I know they own companies all over the world.

Why don't they just create an Irish company, give the software to them for free, and allow them to work with Huawei? I mean for all consumers outside the states.

They might setup Google EU or Google Rest of the World to get around this but I think probably not because they'll be back to square one if another government does the same as the US. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out. I've a feeling this is going to be a turning point for smart phones, like possibly the end of ios vs android and a point of divergence.

No, the people who use the very basic features and don't fully buy into the ecosystem, those who don't even know their photos can be synced to their Google account, if they had one, that sort of thing.

You mean the people who don't use apps and just use it as a phone? That's hardly the market they should aim for? Launching their own OS is guaranteed to fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

This has probably been asked and answered. On android phones there is a pile of crap I don't want. Maps,youtube,drive etc. I never use them but can't get rid of them. Can I now get rid of them?. I have a Huawei, Its my 3rd one and will be upgrading shortly with another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Nosnon wrote: »
    This has probably been asked and answered. On android phones there is a pile of crap I don't want. Maps,youtube,drive etc. I never use them but can't get rid of them. Can I now get rid of them?. I have a Huawei, Its my 3rd one and will be upgrading shortly with another one.

Go to the app settings and disable them, it's quite easy. Though if you're using anything other than Google Maps then you're making a statement rather than them being "crap you don't want".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

You don't use maps? How on earth do you cope?

Yours sincerely,
    The millennials.

Go to the app settings and disable them, it's quite easy. Though if you're using anything other than Google Maps then you're making a statement rather than them being "crap you don't want".
    I have them disabled but they still take up space.
    You don't use maps? How on earth do you cope?

Yours sincerely,
    The millennials.

TomTom app that's linked to my satnav.

• Advertisement

You can install a custom ROM without Google apps. Check out XDA for the model of your phone and be prepared to get your hands dirty

You could root it and then unistall the apps you don't want/need.
    https://www.xda-developers.com/magisk-canary-root-huawei-honor-devices-emui-9/
    https://huaweiadvices.com/root-huawei-emui-phones-magisk-download/

You can install a custom ROM without Google apps. Check out XDA for the model of your phone and be prepared to get your hands dirty

You bastard:D. I've to be up at 4.30am. Was going to go to bed soon. That's gone out the window now.

^^^^^^ Depending on the model of the phone, you may need to unlock the bootloader.

The co-founder of QWANT reckons that Google has misinterpreted Trumps wording, and that they have overreacted.

Also, https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-tech-usa-germany-ministry/berlin-were-examining-impact-of-u-s-sanctions-against-huawei-on-german-firms-idUKKCN1SQ0YD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Suckit wrote: »
    ^^^^^^ Depending on the model of the phone, you may need to unlock the bootloader.

The co-founder of QWANT reckons that Google has misinterpreted Trumps wording, and that they have overreacted.

Also, https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-tech-usa-germany-ministry/berlin-were-examining-impact-of-u-s-sanctions-against-huawei-on-german-firms-idUKKCN1SQ0YD

I was wondering whats next but... trains !? Never tought that will be next on the banning list...
    more HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

They might setup Google EU or Google Rest of the World to get around this but I think probably not because they'll be back to square one if another government does the same as the US. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out. I've a feeling this is going to be a turning point for smart phones, like possibly the end of ios vs android and a point of divergence.
    I was thinking about this earlier, I wonder will the European Competition Commission have anything to say on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Ubuntu touch has a navigation tool - uNav. No tracking and works brilliantly. I am using it four years and it has never failed me. U can leave Google if u want but u need to be willing to let go of instagram and whatsapp.

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Ubuntu touch has a navigation tool - uNav. No tracking and works brilliantly. I am using it four years and it has never failed me. U can leave Google if u want but u need to be willing to let go of instagram and whatsapp.

Facebook own Instagram and WhatsApp. The former is available through any browser, both are available on other operating systems. WhatsApp is the most popular messaging service around and the one people actually use, so it would be stupidity to "let go" of that. Is it better to have a Signal account and message nobody?

I don't care about tracking, in fact it's a massive convenience for me, and I can guarantee you 'unav' does not work as well as Google maps unless it's just a ripped off version of it for the tinfoil hat people. If it's standalone then it won't have even a pinch of the user data input to traffic info as Google Maps does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Hopefully, but a precedent has now been set (whether or not Huawei are blocked from Google services). Be interesting to see how this shapes the future of smartphone OS.

My current phone is an honor - absolutely superb phone. I was really looking forward to my next phone being Huawei. Hopefully they're let back into the fold.

Advertisement