Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei banned in US

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The bit about existing phones possibly not being allowed to be updated would be worrying for owners too.

Yeah, definitely. I use an Honor at the moment and it's a great phone at a very reasonable price. I usually use phones to their death but it'll be a huge issue if I'm locked out of the Play store.

I do think the EU may have an input to this though in terms of consumer protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

touts wrote: »
    I just upgraded to a Huawei phone a month ago. Seriously annoyed now. If they can't update the software and access the play store it will be glorified brick in about 6 months once out of date apps etc stop working. I imagine the networks will have a lot of annoyed customers looking to return their phones. I can't see China standing by and letting this go unanswered. Wouldn't be surprised if Apple will be accused of spying on the next few days and get shut out of the Chinese Market.

doesnt china make most of their apple products too?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

doesnt china make most of their apple products too?
    This is nothing to do with Apple, it's the whole issue of Huawei being suggested to have Chinese government links and their ability to use back door data for spying.

Now the interesting part will start, how do we go about returning our devices to the telecoms and getting a different phone or refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

zep wrote: »
    Now the interesting part will start, how do we go about returning our devices to the telecoms and getting a different phone or refund?

I'd imagine there's lots of T&C's that mean you haven't a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

They don't seem too worried about the whole thing. It still sucks though, people use apps they are familiar with aka gmail, google drive, chrome. I wonder how their forecasts vs reality will work out.

https://twitter.com/HuaweiFacts/status/1129991222171275264

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

****in Trump..I was just getting ready to switch to Android as well specifally getting a mate 20 pro off one of my mates tomorrow.
    Was really looking forward to it.

They don't seem too worried about the whole thing. It still sucks though, people use apps they are familiar with aka gmail, google drive, chrome. I wonder how their forecasts vs reality will work out.

https://twitter.com/HuaweiFacts/status/1129991222171275264
    So they say, people want Google os not Huawei and this will massively affect their business..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

China will fix this pretty rapidly. An iPhone ban or tarrif is all it'll take.

China will fix this pretty rapidly. An iPhone ban or tarrif is all it'll take.

Lol....Will take more than that. There’s a whole pile of issues to resolve and this issue is just a drop in the ocean compared to the rest.
    We’re talking hundreds of billions here...not just a few hundred million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

zep wrote: »
    This is nothing to do with Apple, it's the whole issue of Huawei being suggested to have Chinese government links and their ability to use back door data for spying.

Don't believe the hype. America are scumbags plain and simple, foolish people believe they are the good guys they are not they are providing arms and explosives and money for years to people to help their war games and ego and money.

They are the worst country in the world plain and simple.

And they were never on the moon. It's simple logic why hasn't any country ever gone back since or even them for that matter. Because they can't get there. Technology is far, far superior now than 1969.

Don't believe the hype. America are scumbags plain and simple, foolish people believe they are the good guys they are not they are providing arms and explosives and money for years to people to help their war games and ego and money.

They are the worst country in the world plain and simple.

And they were never on the moon. It's simple logic why hasn't any country ever gone back since or even them for that matter. Because they can't get there. Technology is far, far superior now than 1969.

Lol lol Christ some people you just can’t argue with.
    There’s a lot more countries worse than the US is Israel, Syria, Iran, North Korean etc etc.
    As for the moon...Christ man cop your self on ffs.

Blazer wrote: »
    As for the moon...Christ man cop your self on ffs.

When I was younger I believed raving lunatics thought that but it's fact they were never on the moon. Pure simple logic. The truth will come out some day.

When I was younger I believed raving lunatics thought that but it's fact they were never on the moon. Pure simple logic. The truth will come out some day.

it always amazes me how dumb conspiracy theorists are ...they think they're smart but the truth is they're dumb muthafúckers.
    You honestly think that the US really faked the lunar landing that Russia wouldn't blow the whistle?
    I bet just like the flat earthers ye nutcases have an excuse for that too lol...

I guess Samsung are delighted anyway..they're about to get a big boost in sales and so will Apple.

It looks like Google will only cut off access to the play store for new models according to Reuters.
    Existing devices just won't get access to Android Q and beyond.

Reuters claims this will only happen to "the next version" of Huawei's smartphones, presumably meaning existing devices with the Play Store will continue to work.

Believe what you want anyway. Why hasn't anyone gone back since. You have idiots saying we will go to Mars they cannot even get to the moon. They are building those rockets to launch Satellites and maybe use them for war if things go south but they will never mention that.

Believe what you want anyway. Why hasn't anyone gone back since. You have idiots saying we will go to Mars they cannot even get to the moon. They are building those rockets to launch Satellites and maybe use them for war if things go south but they will never mention that.

and I suppose the ISS doesn't exist either.
    I'm pretty sure that if man can build a space station in orbit, land rockets on land the moon isn't that much of a stretch.
    Besides all that's on it is dust and rocks and god knows Nasa brought back enough of that crap.
    It's like going to some ****hole restort..once you've been there it's done and dusted. No need to go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

once you've been there it's done and dusted. No need to go back.

Don't even engage with conspiracy delusions :)

By all accounts China will have a manned mission within the next 10 years

Anyway back to Google's decision, it will be interesting the hear their reasoning during the week

There’s a lot more countries worse than the US is Israel, Syria, Iran, North Korean etc etc.

What country has Syria entered and bombed? Or Iran, North Korea?

I agree with Isreal they are scumbags, so are the Brits and America three of the worst countries in the world pure war mongers and they get away with it.

They are in collusion with each other. All feeding their greed of money and war.

Edit: Anyway this isn't the thread for this so I will stop.

But on topic this has nothing to do with security of America that's made up this is about hurting the economy of China. re banning Huawei.

In fairness to Trump he acts the tough guy threating this and that but he hasn't dragged America into a war and killed millions, for keeping the world a safer place he deserves a second term.
    He's a business man, he's trying to get a better deal for Americans. That'll be good for him at home.

In fairness to Trump he acts the tough guy threating this and that but he hasn't dragged America into a war and killed millions, for keeping the world a safer place he deserves a second term.
    He's a business man, he's trying to get a better deal for Americans. That'll be good for him at home.

He has behind closed doors though. Causing unrest in Palestine. Providing military aid and money to Israel. And other countries also.

• Advertisement

squawker wrote: »

Anyway back to Google's decision, it will be interesting the hear their reasoning during the week

Their reason is that Trump has put Huawei on the restricted entity list.
    As such with Google being an US company they are required by US law to abide by it.
    This is bad for google too....it highlights how one man can basically stop a company from dealing with other global companies and impacting millions of people worldwide.
    Apple don't have this issue since they only run ios on their own devices whereas Android runs on multiple manufacturers voices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Just saw this on breakfast news
    Google servcies and apps won't work on future Huwaei phones!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48330310

Huawei have said they expected this and have prepared...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What does existing mean though? Phones already activated or all current models? Like if you bought a P30 today is it going to get through the setup process or not?

What does existing mean though? Phones already activated or all current models? Like if you bought a PEP today is it going to get through the setup process or not?

I'd say Huawei owners today can still setup and use Google stuff and get updates until end of lifecycle for Pie v9

Future devices from Q v10 not.

I think it may be settled before that happens but I'm intrigued by Huawei saying they are prepared!

Where did you get that info from, it's an immediate block no more updates by the looks of it.

Where did you get that info from, it's an immediate block no more updates by the looks of it.

From the BBC report linked:

"New designs of Huawei smartphones are set to lose access to some Google apps."

"Existing Huawei smartphone users will be able to update apps and push through security fixes, as well as update Google Play services. But when Google launches the next version of Android later this year, it may not be available on Huawei devices.
    Future Huawei devices may no longer have apps such as YouTube and Maps."

Hard to know the truth there all guessing, Sky says "Existing products will no longer receive Android updates, which bring new features and security improvements"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not for this thread really but trump is in a war right now in Yemen. He's used drone strikes more times in his two years than Obama ever did . Hes stoked tensions in the middle East by his tearing apart of he two state solution a policy that has been in the US for decades. And he's now pretending that Iran are a threat making up stories about troop movements and increased aggression at their borders a claim that's been proven false by American allies left right and centre.

This white washing of trump has to stop. He's surrounded himself with war mongerers and stuffed his senior staff with wealthy private backers who would stand to gain heavily from any conflict.

It's a disgrace that people like yourself are spreading misinformation and it has to be called out constantly.

And this Huawei thing well theres more to it and I suspect entirely it's that the Europeans were buying telecoms hardware in their droves which prevents US spying , something they have been caught for several times in the past.you may recall blackberry and Angela Merkel amongst various other European leaders being recorded.

Let's get real sir.

I think he's doing a great job for Americans. Don't like he's a bit biased with his iPhone though. Let's see what China do to Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I agree with Isreal they are scumbags,
    Does Israel have a right to protect itself or not? If someone attacks you and you defend yourself, are you the scumbag?

Advertisement