Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei banned in US

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Definitely.
    This could be a good thing for the rest of the world.
    There are plenty other OS's barely getting a look in because of the stranglehold Google has.
    Google EU will have to become a separate entity from google US, given that they are proving they have the power to disable everyones devices with the push of a button.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

zep wrote: »
    Your missing the point, there will be no updates for existing phones! Apps etc can still be updated but the OS will not receive security patches/updates. So no Pie updates and no access to Android Q.

I'm assuming access to Gmail / Maps (navigation) etc will be blocked too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Your missing the point, there will be no updates for existing phones! Apps etc can still be updated but the OS will not receive security patches/updates. So no Pie updates and no access to Android Q.

Security updates can be done by the manufacturer outside of the Google ecosystem.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Security updates can be done by the manufacturer outside of the Google ecosystem.

Yes, that is my understanding of it too. Updates up to (not including) Q/10.
    I've read a few different sources now that all say current devices will not be affected. (Gapps etc.. may be after 3rd update?)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Suckit wrote: »
    Yes, that is my understanding of it too. Updates up to (not including) Q/10.
    I've read a few different sources now that all say current devices will not be affected. (Gapps etc.. may be after 3rd update?)

Only security updates based on ASOP, all other updates are digitally signed by Google so Huawei won't get access to these. And if Huawei go implementing their own updates it will break digital certification and SafetyNet resulting in loss of software certification and potential loss of access to other Google services.

• Advertisement

Only security updates based on ASOP, all other updates are digitally signed by Google so Huawei won't get access to these. And if Huawei go implementing their own updates it will break digital certification and SafetyNet resulting in loss of software certification and potential loss of access to other Google services.
    Google has already said that owners of Huawei phones will retain their access to the Play Store and continue being able to update their apps. The big thing that’s being written out of their future, however, are further Android OS updates from Google.
    Huwaei has released a statement
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/20/18632234/huawei-android-ban-response-google-security-updates
    “Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android’s key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefitted both users and the industry.
    Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally.
    We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally.”

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Western Lowland Gorilla

Did somebody post that Google pay would not work in the future? Would be a deal breaker for me, as I find that very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Western Lowland Gorilla

I tried on online chat there. Said because it was over 30 days they wouldn't do it.
    So Amazon offered a refund base on the News? I've always had high praise for their customer service but I'm even surprised by this. Fair play Amazon.
    mrcheez wrote: »
    hmm might give it a shot for the Huawei Watch that I got on Amazon recently...
    Didn't work for me. Said it was over 30 days and to contact the manufacturer...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Did somebody post that Google pay would not work in the future? Would be a deal breaker for me, as I find that very handy.

If Huawei release an update to Android Q and this is not resolved then yes it would break Google pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

squawker wrote: »
    would never buy a Huawei since they revoked bootloader unlock capability

what's the point having an Android handset without the ability to have full control over your device?

Yup, that put me right off them but users who want that choice are far and few between.
    99.999999% of consumers just want "the Google stuff"

• Advertisement

hhhmm no Adblock / Vanced YouTube / Magisk / etc

don't think you know what you are talking about

to be fair there is Blockada and Youtube Vanced with microG - both don't need root.

I unlock to degoogle my phones as much as poss inc play services and framework but the vast majority don't need this or want to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Ye should all leave android and get Ubuntu Touch. Get some privacy back. Buy second hand nexus 5 and install ubports. No worries about Google then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This absolutely outrageous...the EU need to take the lead on this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Ye should all leave android and get Ubuntu Touch. Get some privacy back. Buy second hand nexus 5 and install ubports. No worries about Google then!!

Ah sure just go with basic command line Unix and be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    to be fair there is Blockada and Youtube Vanced with microG - both don't need root

easier with Magisk though ;)

yes I too rip all Google unneeded bloatware from my phones

Might give that a go, I'm already on the page having a look!
    I've a perfect setup on my Xiaomi with microG which I am about to try on my Note 9

I'm currently migrating all my machines at home from Windows to Linux which has really matured user friendly wise, IMO

I'm having great craic trying out all the flavours
    Manjaro <--current favourite

Mint
    KDE Neon
    Ubuntu
    elementary
    Solus

The bootloader lockdown on any phone I completely disagree with!

easier with Magisk though ;)

yes I too rip all Google unneeded bloatware from my phones

I do agree about bootloader lockdown though - no need for it!:)

Hurrache wrote: »

Ah sure just go with basic command line Unix and be done with it.

Ya don't need to worry about this on UT as there are no facebook apps and no google. If u want to get away from this, there are ways. This is the price of handing everything over to big conpanies. They fight over power and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

There's bigger implications after that Huawei ban. All the Eir exchanges and cabinets use Huawei gear with Broadcom chips. Broadcom are US so no more firmware updates. Eir are not alone, Siro also use Huawei gear as do BT in the UK and Dutch and German telecoms also

You're limited to your devices then (as with most of the alternatives). I had it on a refurb Meizu Pro 5 a few years ago, but it was buggy af (but I liked it).

If you're buying a new device etc, you could also look at Pinephone or more expensive PureOS or expand on the ubuntu touch idea with Plasma.
    I was looking at Sailfish and Kai, but Sailfish seems to be stagnant and Kai is now owned by google...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

This absolutely outrageous...the EU need to take the lead on this

And do what exactly?
    This isn't google's fault. They're complying with the law laid down by the US. No American companies are to provide tech to Hauwei unless given government clearance.
    How exactly do people not understand this even though it's been said numerous times in this thread, on all the articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Blazer wrote: »
    And do what exactly?
    This isn't google's fault. They're complying with the law laid down by the US. No American companies are to provide tech to Hauwei unless given government clearance.
    How exactly do people not understand this even though it's been said numerous times in this thread, on all the articles.

I'll say EU has to stand and make a statement.
    Country by country or as a block.

I was reading here and found very interesting the feedback / replies and attitude of the chinese side. It has to be very strategic and intelligent...
    Comes from two parties: Chinese political reply,as from the government and second,from the side of a private compnay accused of doing illegal trade and techie activities. So far,only the company have replied...hmm

________

Limited impact

On Saturday, Huawei founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei pointed out that Huawei had “not done anything which violates the law,” adding that the US crackdown would have a limited impact.

“Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android’s key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefitted both users and the industry,” a group spokesperson said on Monday.

“We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally,” the spokesperson added.

Again, this prompted more questions than answers in the ongoing Huawei affair.

_____

Not sure what to belive will happen next tiem or tomorrow... had another read here and it looks scary...not good for anybody...can't see the sense, political or technological this war seems very confusing.

My phones stay as they are so far,just makign sure i have latest OS updates and the "realtime protection" enabled on the Internet Security product banned by the US of A.

Good luck...

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Might give that a go, I'm already on the page having a look!
    I've a perfect setup on my Xiaomi with microG which I am about to try on my Note 9

I'm currently migrating all my machines at home from Windows to Linux which has really matured user friendly wise, IMO

I'm having great craic trying out all the flavours
    Manjaro <--current favourite

Mint
    KDE Neon
    Ubuntu
    elementary
    Solus

The bootloader lockdown on any phone I completely disagree with!

Any ideea what OSes will work great on the phones,anyone have tried them and feedback ,please !? Any good sites where i can get more literature,thanks.
    Read that Huawei has/had/have in plan their own operating system,any ideea what and where can we "taste" it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

could there actually be a positive to this for consumers ?
    could, and i say could, a phone like the p30 pro become cheap now, being sold with the asterisk about updates...and security updates would be released independently by huawei...and other apps, if the google app store ceased to work, be able to be side-loaded via other app stores, apotiode and the like...would google apps still function in that scenario ?
    and then maybe the whole mess might be resolved in time for next android version ??

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It could all change in 2020 if Trump gets the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Mr E wrote: »

I’ll drink to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Google are among the biggest fiends when it comes to spying, Trump has officially lost the plot here doing this.

I've a feeling this will backfire spectacularly on them.

Suckit wrote: »
    You're limited to your devices then (as with most of the alternatives). I had it on a refurb Meizu Pro 5 a few years ago, but it was buggy af (but I liked it).

If you're buying a new device etc, you could also look at Pinephone or more expensive PureOS or expand on the ubuntu touch idea with Plasma.
    I was looking at Sailfish and Kai, but Sailfish seems to be stagnant and Kai is now owned by google...

It has moved on since then. Working great on Nexus 5. Just use it for email, calls, telegram, satnav, have a boards.ie webapp. Bob's your uncle and no chinese spyware!! Lol!!

Mr E wrote: »

Going off topic on "android topic" but i dont see the big picture,dont think he's alone here...
    Another article here,kind of takes it deeper and explain few more things but what irates me is the silence of the Chinese side and of the Huawei, as a company...

There is an old wise expression,im not surprised to learn is Chinese:
    " When i'm shouting at you, you're safe ! It's when i go quiet that you know you're in danger ! "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

So whats to say that Huawei don't come out with their own OS that in time will come to rival Google?

Advertisement