Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei banned in US

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

You'd have to feel sorry for anyone who bought a huawei phone, surely they'll be offering refunds?

would never buy a Huawei since they revoked bootloader unlock capability

what's the point having an Android handset without the ability to have full control over your device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

squawker wrote: »
    would never buy a Huawei since they revoked bootloader unlock capability

what's the point having an Android handset without the ability to have full control over your device?

Because it's not 2008 any more and everything works fine on Android these days for 99.9% of people.

Because it's not 2008 any more and everything works fine on Android these days for 99.9% of people.

hhhmm no Adblock / Vanced YouTube / Magisk / etc

don't think you know what you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

He's right. I haven't rooted or put a custom ROM on my phone for 4 or 5 years I think (and I used to do it religiously every few weeks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't require any of those messes on my phone. Android has evolved a lot in by 2019, you'd probably want to catch up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

The best phone I ever had, my p20 battery is as good today as it was the day I bought it.

No glitches or issues, I could honestly say it's a reliable functioning phone.

I don't require any of those messes on my phone. Android has evolved a lot in by 2019, you'd probably want to catch up.

so where can I get a root level adblocker on these evolved Android phones you are harping on about?

or have Youtube on my phone without ads? use Greenify / Android FX / etc

I have never "messed" up any phone by rooting, I do it straight out of the box since my first handset

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

I have the Mate 20 Pro. I bought it on Amazon. I contacted there support this morning and they offered me a full refund. So ill take it probably take the jump back to samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Last phone I felt the need to do it was on the first Galaxy S long after official updates stopped.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    The best phone I ever had, my p20 battery is as good today as it was the day I bought it.

No glitches or issues, I could honestly say it's a reliable functioning phone.

Best phone I've had too, god damn!

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »
    I've no receipt in a 2nd hand phone :( are there Huawei store in Dublin? Hopefully they can refund via IMEI as I've no proof of purchase. Warranty til 2021.

Thats if its needed. Hopefully not. Delighted with phone.

I can't see you getting a refund at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Only got the P20 lite cause it was cheap enough after I dopily dropped my Plus One and it broke (my heart).

In fairness this Huawei contraption is a great phone which I daily try to break with different adds/apps and anything else I wanna play with. (I don't take it too seriously as it was a cheap phone) but damn it is a great phone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Western Lowland Gorilla

Chibs wrote: »
    I have the Mate 20 Pro. I bought it on Amazon. I contacted there support this morning and they offered me a full refund. So ill take it probably take the jump back to samsung.
    How long since you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Got it November last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hurrache wrote: »
    I can't see you getting a refund at all.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Western Lowland Gorilla

I tried on online chat there. Said because it was over 30 days they wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I bought my P20 last April 2018 via Three ... wonder if they'll be offering some sort of trade-in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

mrcheez wrote: »
    I bought my P20 last April 2018 via Three ... wonder if they'll be offering some sort of trade-in ?

I just chatted with them. As expected it's too soon to tell:
    three.ie wrote:
    Three is aware of the recent news from Google in relation to Huawei devices. For now, this does not affect existing customers with Huawei devices and we await further details for clarification of potential future impact....

Its just announced by Google however we haven't got any confirmation so you have to wait until further notice.

Once it is confirmed then we will can make any decision what should be done with the phone already sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Seems the chipmakers have followed suit:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-19/google-to-end-some-huawei-business-ties-after-trump-crackdown
    Chipmakers including Intel Corp., Qualcomm Inc., Xilinx Inc. and Broadcom Inc. have told their employees they will not supply Huawei till further notice, according to people familiar with their actions. Alphabet Inc.’s Google cut off the supply of hardware and some software services to the Chinese giant, another person familiar said, asking not to be identified discussing private matters.

That has huge implications for their infrastructural gear as well as the mobile handsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

So Amazon offered a refund base on the News? I've always had high praise for their customer service but I'm even surprised by this. Fair play Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

zep wrote: »
    So Amazon offered a refund base on the News? I've always had high praise for their customer service but I'm even surprised by this. Fair play Amazon.

hmm might give it a shot for the Huawei Watch that I got on Amazon recently...

It might turn out to be financial suicide for US firms....Lots of regions getting fed up of USA bullying at this stage. Huawei currently releasing new advanced chips to replace US manufactured chips. I can see Africa/Asia/China/india etc, basicall half the planet sticking with chinese manufacturing.

Europe will have to grow a backbone as well. They are currently setting up a new interbank system to replace the US one, as like with Google they also used it to bully countries that do not tow the USA line.

Can't see multinational CEO's and there shareholders putting up with Trumps nonsense much longer once it hits the bottom line.

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/05/article/us-ban-wont-derail-huaweis-european-5g-rollout/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Doesn’t it sound a bit like a person from Louth saying “how are we?”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's likely to give people a reason to diverge from google, a US company. The EU are essentially banning these phones without any choice, due to google obeying the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Can't imagine google being allowed to stick with this rule in Europe where Huawei is not banned. There would have to be some sort of consumer protection and I can't imagine the onus would be on Huawei in this case.

It may be the best opportunity sailfish os might ever have, or pure os, if they allow/it's possible to port it.

It's likely to give people a reason to diverge from google, a US company. The EU are essentially banning these phones without any choice, due to google obeying the US.

These companies are going to have to split from an authoritarian USA. Its the only way they will be able to expand in the future if Trumps protectionism continues.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trumps-economic-sanctions-on-huawei-could-backfire-on-the-us-2019-05-17

Suckit wrote: »
    Can't imagine google being allowed to stick with this rule in Europe where Huawei is not banned. There would have to be some sort of consumer protection and I can't imagine the onus would be on Huawei in this case.

It may be the best opportunity sailfish os might ever have, or pure os, if they allow/it's possible to port it.

Yeah, I said yesterday that it'll be interesting to see the EU's take on it when it comes to consumer protection. If current and existing phones are unaffected and it's only affects future handsets I don't see an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Hurrache wrote: »
    Yeah, I said yesterday that it'll be interesting to see the EU's take on it when it comes to consumer protection. If current and existing phones are unaffected and it's only affects future handsets I don't see an issue.
    Yeah, I read that too but I saw in an earlier post here, that future versions of Android may cease to work on current handsets.
    Can't imagine that will make much difference though, as even if they roll out android 10/Q they will update Pie for a while after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

This is what I'm thinking. Other companies and countries will be watching this closely and deloping their plan b in relation to any dealings they have with the U.S. Not only that but you can be sure the Chinese have a retaliation that will effect supply of components for U.S firms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Suckit wrote: »
    Yeah, I read that too but I saw in an earlier post here, that future versions of Android may cease to work on current handsets.
    Can't imagine that will make much difference though, as even if they roll out android 10/Q they will update Pie for a while after.

Your missing the point, there will be no updates for existing phones! Apps etc can still be updated but the OS will not receive security patches/updates. So no Pie updates and no access to Android Q.

Advertisement