Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Orebro wrote: »
    Not sure if that matters too much - can't see a very high percentage of these actually going through with the order.

I'd be on the fence but still keeping my deposit in place until September, the 1st needs to have something special over a cheaper one with a larger battery. Just wish I could afford a Taycan.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

he was talking to VW Ireland before he booked and they said they still had availability for the 1st yesterday anyway. Not a waiting list.

They're spoofing. But as Orebro said, doesn't really matter if they put him on a waiting list as there will be plenty of reservations cancelled. Most likely including my own. Not a chance I'm going to pay €40k for an electric Golf successor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I'm just leaving my reservation in place to keep my options open. I very much doubt I'll buy a 1st. I might go for the (full) spec I choose for the start of 2021. It depends what VW have to offer. If the 1st turns out to be full spec, I might be tempted, but rumour is that it won't be full spec, no AI satnav or glass roof.

unkel wrote: »
    They're spoofing. But as Orebro said, doesn't really matter if they put him on a waiting list as there will be plenty of reservations cancelled. Most likely including my own. Not a chance I'm going to pay €40k for an electric Golf successor.

What's appealing to me is getting maybe 30k for my own car and letting my company buy the ID3 for me with 0% bik. So basically giving myself a 30k cash bonus.
    I do intend doing a lot more milage again starting in the next few months so the cheap fuel will save me a good lot as well.
    The Mrs thinks there's no way I'm going to drive an ID3 with my history of cars, she could be right but we'll see, the bhp on the ID and rwd set up has caught my attention.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm just leaving my reservation in place to keep my options open. I very much doubt I'll buy a 1st. I might go for the (full) spec I choose for the start of 2021. It depends what VW have to offer. If the 1st turns out to be full spec, I might be tempted, but rumour is that it won't be full spec, no AI satnav or glass roof.

Same here, the augmented reality display seems pretty cool. I suspect I'll be deferring my pre order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Based on the little i know. If you have areservation you have to go to VW and place the order. As you had to pick your local dealer they will have a list of who has a reservation against them

It would be wise business of the dealer to take an average of at least 10% who might pull out. In this case the dealer might have the option to take over the reservation, so in that case if they have a list on standby they can just hand to them

The Mrs thinks there's no way I'm going to drive an ID3 with my history of cars, she could be right but we'll see, the bhp on the ID and rwd set up has caught my attention.

Trust me, the Mrs will be proven wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

liamog wrote:
    Same here, the augmented reality display seems pretty cool. I suspect I'll be deferring my pre order.
    Well yeah I'd want that but the smaller battery pack and 28k (which it should be after the grants etc.). 48kW perfectly fine for Ireland, don't need the 55 or whatever it is. But I want the HUD.

McGiver wrote: »
    Well yeah I'd want that but the smaller battery pack and 28k (which it should be after the grants etc.). 48kW perfectly fine for Ireland, don't need the 55 or whatever it is. But I want the HUD.

My thoughts exactly. With 110kW charging and a dozen Ionity chargers in the country you can drive at motorway speeds from anywhere to anywhere with only an occasional 15-20 minute stop, which you'd make anyway

unkel wrote:
    My thoughts exactly. With 110kW charging and a dozen Ionity chargers in the country you can drive at motorway speeds from anywhere to anywhere with only an occasional 15-20 minute stop, which you'd make anyway

Yep, so why paying 35% more for essentially a Golf with slightly higher range which isn't needed...

The only disappointment is that they won't put 11 kW AC charger in the low battery option, but maybe it could be got as an extra.

• Advertisement

I'd pay €50 for 11kW if it was an optional extra :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

liamog wrote: »

Is it really augmented reality or just a HUD?

I would define AR as something that tracks and augments moving objects in view, e.g. drawing a red circle round a pedestrian walking towards a crossing, not just projecting driving metrics at a fixed point.

HUDs have been around for years.

Lumen wrote:
    Is it really augmented reality or just a HUD?
    Think it's a bit better HUD...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Must be expecting to sell loads of ID3s here - VW predict 20% of new car sales in Ireland will be BEV within the next 18 months or 30,000 BEVs annually!

Great stuff VW!

volkswagen-says-electric-cars-will-make-up-20-of-irish-new-car-sales-by-2021

Demand is certainly going to be there. If VW and others can come up with supply of plenty of reasonably priced EVs, he is going to be proven right.

Demand is certainly going to be there. If VW and others can come up with supply of plenty of reasonably priced EVs, he is going to be proven right.

Why would they though? Nissans, Kias & Hyundais selling like hot cakes at €50k (before taxpayer subsidies), why would any manufacturer reduce prices with such high demand & even year-long waiting lists for poorly specked Kias?

VW will be no different & even demand a premium - look at the crazy price of a decent specked eGolf - even a heat pump was a €1500 extra when I had an eGolf for a weekend last year.

I'm getting a Taycan anyway, bet they'll be affordable :D.

Kramer wrote: »
    Why would they though? Nissans, Kias & Hyundais selling like hot cakes at €50k (before taxpayer subsidies), why would any manufacturer reduce prices with such high demand & even year-long waiting lists for poorly specked Kias?

VW will be no different & even demand a premium - look at the crazy price of a decent specked eGolf - even a heat pump was a €1500 extra when I had an eGolf for a weekend last year.

I'm getting a Taycan anyway, bet they'll be affordable :D.

eGolf was always going to be expensive because of the small amount that VW could manufacture

With the ID the whole point is mass production and also a platform so they can reuse it across all the brands, VW, Skoda, Seat etc, also have Ford using it as well. This means mass reproduction cost are reduced so the cost of car is reduced......

Kramer wrote: »

That's in 2019. Supply is so low that overpriced cars are bought. But only by a limited number of people who really wanted an EV and really wanted that long range and who were willing to pay a substantial premium for the pleasure. How many Niros were there for 192, maybe a few hundred? If that had been 10000, they would not all have easily sold for €40k

Hopefully in 2021 there is substantially more supply, some competition. Pressure on manufacturers to lower emissions. Economies of scale and globally increased battery production that make it cheaper to produce a 40kWh EV than it is to make a diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

It could be true that manufacturers will reduce price with competition. But if you take the C segment as an example. In my opinion Toyota are selling the new Corolla hybrid at over inflated prices. What have the competition done with their new model petrol and diesels. They seem to also have increased the prices upwards every new model. Same us true for the segment below, it catching up. People only see the weekly repayment amount. Music to the ears of the dealers.

gooner99 wrote: »
    People only see the weekly repayment amount. Music to the ears of the dealers.

Indeed. I've never understood that. I guess most people have very poor basic math skills? And can't calculate / estimate what the total cost of ownership is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Still 3,000 reservation slots left

https://insideevs.com/news/366001/volkswagen-id3-reservations-exceed-27000/

I am a bit shocked, thought demand would be alot higher, they even opened up registrations in countries that had exceeded their quota, so those 27k are probably not only 1st editions.

€40k is way too much for a Golf. They should have done the standard range (48kWh, 45kWh usable - 300km WLTP) with a reasonable spec for a German on the road price of €29k. I would have bought one.

Say that over on the GTI/R thread..

I'm very surprised it hasn't sold out, it hasn't been launched yet though so that could be the problem. Anyone I've chatted to about it hasn't really heard about it wondering is that's the egolf etc. VW isn't really a pre order kinda company, I think Apple/Tesla have well and truly busted the pre order hype machine beyond repair anyway.

I'll make an exception for the R :)

€40k is way too much for a Golf......a reasonable spec for a German on the road price of €29k. I would have bought one.

Is it confirmed the 1st Ed. is going to be €40k OTR though?
    I'll be reclaiming my deposit if so.

Then again, €29k is 2.5 year old Ioniq money & Asian economy cars are all €40k now, Leaf, Kona etc. That famed German build quality is going to command a premium too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

€40k is way too much for a Golf. They should have done the standard range (48kWh, 45kWh usable - 300km WLTP) with a reasonable spec for a German on the road price of €29k. I would have bought one.

They'd kill ICE sales if they did that

Its too early

Have to clear out many warehouses first

I'm very surprised it hasn't sold out, it hasn't been launched yet though so that could be the problem. Anyone I've chatted to about it hasn't really heard about it wondering is that's the egolf etc. VW isn't really a pre order kinda company, I think Apple/Tesla have well and truly busted the pre order hype machine beyond repair anyway.

After the mess Tesla made I doubt many people will be doing the pre-order for a standard family car.....

Might work when company is making 100 car and they cost 500k....but not for a "normal" car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I'm sure I read that the 30,000 were all taken up. If that's the case, the 3000 would be cancellations.

I think VW have made a mess of this. Doing the whole big launch date and all the hype around it was a mistake. There has been little to no follow up to keep the hype up. No real information has been released and the ID launch is now old, stale news. Now we wait until the official launch in September. A lot of people have already moved on, myself included.

I'll revisit the ID range when the options and pricing are clear, but not before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For a company like VW, the main practical purpose of these early launches and reservation systems is to deter people from putting an order down for a competitor.

So people think "I won't get a Leaf now, I'll hang on for an ID.3"

• Advertisement

A company selling over 10 million cars a year

I doubt they are concerned they only have 27000 reservations for a car people have not seen the inside or out

Even to have27000 is good

Advertisement