Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 3 "The Long Night" - Spoilers post 2 forwa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nalz wrote: »
    What's an arc?

Reminds me of the old mathematical instruction: "Describe an arc."

Well, it's a curvy line, like a part of a circle...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

What's an arc?

It's like an Orc, but more curvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Penn wrote: »
    Reading some people's theories that Jon wasn't yelling at the dragon, but rather that she was shouting GO! to Arya, and stood in front of the dragon to distract it so she could get past. This would work as the very next clip aside from the NK reaching for his weapon is the hair of a White Walker being blown, and then Arya jumping at the Night King.

I joked at work that it was actually Jon roaring at the dragon that killed off the army of the dead.

I think my theory is more plausible than what you've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

beauf wrote: »
    That looks like the fight sceen with ARTHUR DAYNE.

That's because he was Arthur Dayne for the combat scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭paulbok

NuMarvel wrote: »
    I joked at work that it was actually Jon roaring at the dragon that killed off the army of the dead.

I think my theory is more plausible than what you've read.

Fus ro dah from the Dovahkiin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Valeryian steel is supposed to have been made with spells and dragonfire.

No one actually knew if dragonfire would do anything to him or the other walkers, turns out it doesn't.

For the WW not doing anything:
    I took that as NK holding back what keeps his army alive and just using the sheer number of wights to overwhelm everyone, while keeping his elite guys by his side in case he was somehow attacked.

Don't think we've ever seen him do any fighting either, bar throw a few spears, have we?

Don't a number of wights die if a White Walker is killed? Considering the great success the wights were having it would make sense not to allow people a chance to kill so many in one go. I don't think it was a coincidence the storm moved in as the dragons honed in on the White Walkers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What's an arc?

A character starts off, they develop, and hopefully they get an ending where all that development pays off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

A character starts off, they develop, and hopefully they get an ending where all that development pays off

So Jon Snow becomes aware of the threat beyond the wall in Season 1. He learns about Craster. He fights at Hardhome. He stares down the night king. He is the driving force behind the White Walker plot for all 8 seasons. He is resurrected and named the prince who was promised, the person who will defeat the dead. His entire Season 7 plot is related to fighting the dead. He goes beyond the wall and has another face off with the night king. Then this season he doesn't even swing a sword at the Night King.

Instead we got Arya who did not even know of the existance of the dead until last season, who never had any interaction with the dead until this episode, kill the night king - because Dan and Dave wanted somebody unexpected to do it.

They should have really taken a look at their Star Wars colleague Rian Johnson and see where subversion gets you. You set something up you should pay it off or the viewer feels cheated - what was the point in all the investment in Jon v The Dead?

Imagine if instead of Harry Potter killing Voldemort, Hermione did without Harry ever facing off against him? Because that is what happened here. Subversion and surprise for the sake of it. If the original Star Wars films were made today, Chewbacca would run in and kill the emperor because subversion! Surprise!

Arcs are boring!! :rolleyes:

When somebody says arcs are predictable and boring, it shows they don't have the slightest clue about storytelling. It is possibly the most ridiculous thing said in the whole thread, and that takes some going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

What's an arc?

In fiction writing it is the terminology or jargon used to describe a particular character's storyline from start to finish. The premise is that a characters' arc helps to embellish and structure your experience as a reader, it defines the readers interpretation of the character. The word arc is procured from the physical structure of an arc. It begins, peaks and then ends.

It is also an anagram of the noun car.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

What's an arc?

hart-arc.jpg

291ea66c7838d487b697c812aec39db8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mokuba wrote: »
    what was the point in all the investment in Jon v The Dead?

Probably to show him ultimately failing to stop them, despite all he's done.
    That the hero doesn't always win (or in Jon's case, rarely wins without help)

He was to be the one, the guy that stopped the walkers and kill the NK, and he failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Probably to show him ultimately failing to stop them, despite all he's done.
    That the hero doesn't always win (or in Jon's case, rarely wins without help)

He was to be the one, the guy that stopped the walkers and kill the NK, and he failed.

Yeah Jon got curb-stomped...

... by bad storytelling decisions... :pac:

ogsjw wrote: »

At least Arya succeeds with every single thing she does - somebody is allowed success I guess!

Kills Meryn Trant!
    Kills the Waif despite suffering from 3 stab wounds!
    Learns all about the Faceless Men and is allowed to leave freely with all of that knowledge. Arya doesn't suffer consequences!
    Wipes out all the Freys!
    Equals or bests Brienne in sparring!
    Brings Littlefinger to justice!
    Mocks Gendry about his sexual assault but gets the ride anyway!
    And finally, defeats the long term villain!

I look forward to the tension filled scenes when Arya kills the Mountain to save the Hound, and kills Cersei to complete her list!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ogsjw wrote: »

He constantly loses though, he's a bit useless if we're being honest. Well, maybe not useless but not a straight up savage either.
    Should have died way more than the one time he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I look forward to the tension filled scenes when Arya kills the Mountain to save the Hound, and kills Cersei to complete her list!

I suspect Arya will be killed by the mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Hallaz

Was waiting patiently for Arya to have her big moment for the last few seasons and when it came and she was caught in mid air I thought it was over before it began.
    It was 5 seconds before her finishing move. In those seconds it seemed like many things raced through my mind.
    The writers have switched it up on me again, she’s dead without a purpose to her training.
    Bran is now also going to die, she was his last hope, who is going to kill Night King now?
    And then she completes her task with nods to her previous training to get her to this point.

I’m a sucker for these moments, the director did a fine job toying with my mind.
    Loved the music , loved the ending.

I suspect Arya will be killed by the mountain

She kills the Mountain who has mortally wounded The Hound and is very slowly dying.

She has a tearful goodbye with the Hound who tearfully says, "you remember where the heart is".

And then she kills Cersei to complete her list. Arya wins everything.

https://youtu.be/5hNGgcd4U-c?t=92

• Registered Users Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

She kills the Mountain

Is that even possible at this stage?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Hallaz wrote: »
    Was waiting patiently for Arya to have her big moment for the last few seasons and when it came and she was caught in mid air I thought it was over before it began.
    It was 5 seconds before her finishing move. In those seconds it seemed like many things raced through my mind.
    The writers have switched it up on me again, she’s dead without a purpose to her training.
    Bran is now also going to die, she was his last hope, who is going to kill Night King now?
    And then she completes her task with nods to her previous training to get her to this point.

I’m a sucker for these moments, the director did a fine job toying with my mind.
    Loved the music , loved the ending.

Waiting for her big moment? She's been involved in so much and came out on top somehow! More then most on the show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Hallaz

Waiting for her big moment? She's been involved in so much and came out on top somehow! More then most on the show!

I'll clarify as end series big moment. Which of the main players was she going to kill off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Old school game of thrones would be the faceless coming back to haunt Arya and her stabbed in the belly post round two with Gendry in some godforsaken place. Grand all or nothing Cersei assassination plan hopes dashed.

Id be shocked if Arya dies now. So if this was in her future then consider me among the hoodwinked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Hallaz wrote: »
    I'll clarify as end series big moment. Which of the main players was she going to kill off.

Does she need to kill off anyone else? She's killed a good few characters at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

What's an arc?

Goes well with a smashed avocado

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Ok, so who's left to fight Cersei in King's Landing now?

Besides the Starks, Targaryens, dragons and assorted associates, there's still a good few Unsullied left I presume. Are the Knights of the Vale still around?

Also, I'm unsure how many ships Yara Greyjoy has now after being rescued. Just the one she was on, or did she manage to take any more of Euron's fleet with her?

Will the Dornish Army make an appearance and take their revenge for the murder of Ellaria and the sandsnakes perhaps? I know Varys made a pact with Lady Olenna and Ellaria, but seeing as they're both now dead, I don't suppose that holds up!

Has anyone been talking about this in real life? This is the first season where it's barely been mentioned. With one friend I meet often, we talked about it more often over the last year than now when it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Besides the Starks, Targaryens, dragons and assorted associates, there's still a good few Unsullied left I presume. Are the Knights of the Vale still around?

Also, I'm unsure how many ships Yara Greyjoy has now after being rescued. Just the one she was on, or did she manage to take any more of Euron's fleet with her?

Will the Dornish Army make an appearance and take their revenge for the murder of Ellaria and the sandsnakes perhaps? I know Varys made a pact with Lady Olenna and Ellaria, but seeing as they're both now dead, I don't suppose that holds up!

The Tyrells were wiped out, so they can't help. They never really said how many Dornish travelled with the sandsnakes. It's possible they'll make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Has anyone been talking about this in real life? This is the first season where it's barely been mentioned. With one friend I meet often, we talked about it more often over the last year than now when it's on.

Aprx 1,400 posts on here and you think nobody is talking about it in 'real life'? I know you had your problems with the episode but come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

What do people think is a realistic timescale on the show between the end of the battle of Winterfell and an attack on KL? I know the show generally never gives any indication of 'one week later' '6 months later' etc, we just see people move about from place to place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The Glover's didn't show up to fight so they should have an army and there be a bit of confrontation in not coming to help the fight for the North.

Advertisement