Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 3 "The Long Night" - Spoilers post 2 forwa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Vladimir Furdik aka The Night King, the fight scenes he is capable off. Oh what a character the NK could have been...

Doesnt look that great in fairness, the camera angles are also all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

While where on the subject of Tyrion does anyone think anything will come of the conversation he had off screen with Bran?

I think most people assumed it would affect The Night King story but obviously nothing we seen anyway.

Surely they have to address this seeing as they made a point of not showing any of it.

Afterwards, during the fireplace scene, tyrion declared that he thinks they'd all survive. I'm assuming he meant those around the fire. Maybe bran told him those in the cyrpts and those not called mormont or dothraki would survive and they'd win.

at the start of episode 3, tyrion stares at bran when theon was pushing him to the godswood and of course bran stares back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

dusty bin wrote: »
    Afterwards, during the fireplace scene, tyrion declared that he thinks they'd all survive. I'm assuming he meant those around the fire. Maybe bran told him those in the cyrpts and those not called mormont or dothraki would survive and they'd win.

at the start of episode 3, tyrion stares at bran when theon was pushing him to the godswood and of course bran stares back.

There has to be something juicy in that conversation where yet to find out about. Especially for Tyrions role in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

storker wrote: »
    Is this a good time to ask...what did the Night King want, anyway?

As well as wiping clean the history of men, I think he wanted him gone because as long as the three eyed raven exists, he can see with his ravens/crows what the night king is up to, and where he is I presume. Ultimately this is his downfall as he just had to stay away from this battle until everyone was killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

As well as wiping clean the history of men, I think he wanted him gone because as long as the three eyed raven exists, he can see with his ravens/crows what the night king is up to, and where he is I presume. Ultimately this is his downfall as he just had to stay away from this battle until everyone was killed.

Actually, what was the point of him sending the ravens off during the battle ? Its not like he did anything , he just sat there waiting for the NK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Drumpot wrote: »
    Actually, what was the point of him sending the ravens off during the battle ? Its not like he did anything , he just sat there waiting for the NK

To hazard a guess - baiting him? I don't really know. I expected Bran to die if I'm honest and I think the moment might have been better had the Night King killed him and then been stabbed.

But that's being really nitpicky tbh. I just don't know what other purpose Bran now serves in the grander scheme of things.

Apart from telling everyone that Jon is nailing his aunt maybe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Someone answered that many pages back. He was deliberately drawing his attention to where he was.

Vladimir Furdik aka The Night King, the fight scenes he is capable off. Oh what a character the NK could have been...

I like the NK character we got TBH. I dont think him going hand to hand combat like that would of added to the character, I prefered his unrelenting charge to Bran. I immediately thought "f**k him" when he rose all those dead instead of fighting Jon, but after thinking about it I like it that he didnt waste time like a Bond villian and went straight for his target. He didn't have to fight Jon and so didn't bother, I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Reading some people's theories that Jon wasn't yelling at the dragon, but rather that she was shouting GO! to Arya, and stood in front of the dragon to distract it so she could get past. This would work as the very next clip aside from the NK reaching for his weapon is the hair of a White Walker being blown, and then Arya jumping at the Night King.

Necro wrote: »
    I just don't know what other purpose Bran now serves in the grander scheme of things.

To creep everybody out? ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,651 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

To see where the NK was ,

Iv also seen people say that due to there connection the NK could see what Bran was thinking but due to him Warging he could not .,

To see where the NK was ,

Iv also seen people say that due to there connection the NK could see what Bran was thinking but due to him Warging he could not .,

I doubt that. Bran stopped warging before Theon died. If the NK could see what Bran was thinking when not warging, given that Bran gave Arya the dagger and knew he had to be at the tree, Bran obviously knew what Arya was going to do. Which would have meant the NK would then have known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Maybe to turn Jon into a Night King, given that they are outnumbered, he's dead anyway :pac:, no aspiration to sit on the throne, a worthy sacrifice..... He raises the dead around Winterfell, marches on Kings Landing and defeats Cersai, getting his moment in the sun, so to speak.

So to sum up, the WW were built up from scene 1 of episode 1, season 1. All they really want is every human to die and to kill Bran because memories and stuff. Nobody really knows why they waited thousands of years to attack.
    They went on an adventure south and made it to the most northern point of south.

Screw it, they’re dead now anyways

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So to sum up, the WW were built up from scene 1 of episode 1, season 1. All they really want is every human to die and to kill Bran because memories and stuff. Nobody really knows why they waited thousands of years to attack.
    They went on an adventure south and made it to the most northern point of south.

Screw it, they’re dead now anyways

Can't discuss the books in this thread so I'm not sure what other answer you're going to get though.
    It did happen before though which is why the Wall was erected in the first place to keep them out of the realms of men.

Necro wrote: »
    Can't discuss the books in this thread so I'm not sure what other answer you're going to get though.
    It did happen before though which is why the Wall was erected in the first place to keep them out of the realms of men.

If I read the books now would it enhance shows ?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭RickBlaine

Explaining Arya killing the NK as pandering to MeToo is such a stupid argument.

Just a few episodes ago, Bronn literally hired 3 whores to do as he pleased with them. Hardly sounds like a show pandering to MeToo.

Arya is a major character since season 1. She was fighting for Jon, her brother, her home and the living. Her gender is irrelevant.

If I read the books now would it enhance shows ?

PMed you so as to not get into a discussion re: the books in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Penn wrote: »
    Reading some people's theories that Jon wasn't yelling at the dragon, but rather that she was shouting GO! to Arya, and stood in front of the dragon to distract it so she could get past. This would work as the very next clip aside from the NK reaching for his weapon is the hair of a White Walker being blown, and then Arya jumping at the Night King.

But if Arya wasn’t even gunning for the Night King until her chat with Melisandre, at what point did Jon have a chance to plot the kill with her? Not disagreeing with the theory btw, I’m sure it’s possible that they planned it all along and she was indeed waiting for a signal from Jon, but it doesn’t seem likely to me as she was just trying to survive up until the scene with the Red Woman.

Also, how far away was Jon from the Godswood at that point? I can’t quite map it out in my head, but he seemed to be surviving the dragon at the other end of Winterfell.

It is an interesting theory though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Penn wrote: »

Wow. The mental gymnastics that people will do to try fit a certain narrative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Today's Phrase of the Day is...

'Mental Gymnastics'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

All I think we really know is he wanted to rid the world of three eyed raven. Wipe history as such.

I assume killing anyone in his path goes along with this.
    Actually when one thinks about it (and I kinda accepted it until now) - what the hell would killing the 3ER actually achieve? Almost no-one in the world of man knows who he is - what is the 3ER to the people of Essos or the summer isles? Especially in the time before magic returned.

I wonder how much dialogue was in that episode compared to the average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That looks like the fight sceen with ARTHUR DAYNE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Mokuba wrote: »
    Lyanna Mormont killing a giant was utter nonsense and symbolic of this very issue.

What a load of garbage that scene was. Like twitter fan fiction.
    For sure - but have to give Bella Ramsey credit for making such an impression that she forced that result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Mokuba wrote: »
    Arya had two primary show long storylines, her finding her identity and fulfilling the list of names on her death list.

What was wrong with her arc being the culmination of the list, and letting other deal with the plot she had no involvement in?

You're obsessed with arcs. Arc's are predictable and boring. There was nothing wrong with Arya killing the NK bar the way she did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What's an arc?

I wonder how much dialogue was in that episode compared to the average

Very little I suspect. I liked it as it added to the overwhelming sense of dread throughout the episode.

martyos121 wrote: »
    But if Arya wasn’t even gunning for the Night King until her chat with Melisandre, at what point did Jon have a chance to plot the kill with her? Not disagreeing with the theory btw, I’m sure it’s possible that they planned it all along and she was indeed waiting for a signal from Jon, but it doesn’t seem likely to me as she was just trying to survive up until the scene with the Red Woman.

Also, how far away was Jon from the Godswood at that point? I can’t quite map it out in my head, but he seemed to be surviving the dragon at the other end of Winterfell.

It is an interesting theory though.

It wouldn't have been that Jon plotted with Arya, but that knowing he was pinned down, its possible he saw Arya, knew she was trying to get to the Godswood too, and popped out of cover to distract the dragon so she could get past as he couldn't.

The courtyard they were in led directly to the Godswood through an arch if I remember right. It was just outside the Godswood as thats where Jon was trying to get to. He went through most of the rest of winter fell to try get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Arcs, arcs, arcs. They shouldn't be used to rigidly keep characters on rails to a certain conclusion.

How many times has Jon tried to help and succeeded? A lot.

This time he tried as hard as he possibly could and couldn't do it. He failed and him realising that as he is huddled behind the wall with the dragon looming, and that music playing, actually hit me more than a one on one showdown with Night King would've.

Advertisement