Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 3 "The Long Night" - Spoilers post 2 forwa

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There is no way Bronn would logically kill Jaime, he's already risked his life saving him before and the pair are genuinely shown to be friends. How friendly he is with Tyrion is pretty irrelevant, as he's hardly going to whack Jaime's brother.

Having Jaime or Tyrion murdered by an assassin on Cersei's orders would be a cruel and devastating end to either characters arc, but it would be true to GOT and perfectly acceptable narrative wise.

However, having Bronn actually randomly kill (or attempt to kill) Jaime, would really be an incredibly lazy choice and I would be at new levels of disappointment with the show personally speaking.

Not sure it even really made sense for Cersei to send him of all people in the first place. Why would she? Unless she already knows he won't and wanted to send a message to Jaime, but....I'm not sure that makes much sense either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

beauf wrote: »
    Bronn had more lucrative options at times. Choose not to to take them. Especially suicide missions, tasks. I think he just likes a good scrap at heart.

Even his reaction to what Cersei is asking him to do theres obvious doubts there. I think it would be silly to assume nothing will happen but id be very surprised if he actually ends up killing either of them especially Jamie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think a bigger issues is most of the characters seem to be on the same side. Some huge rift and back stabbing must be imminent.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

There is no way Bronn would logically kill Jaime, he's already risked his life saving him before and the pair are genuinely shown to be friends. How friendly he is with Tyrion is pretty irrelevant, as he's hardly going to whack Jaime's brother.

Having Jaime or Tyrion murdered by an assassin on Cersei's orders would be a cruel and devastating end to either characters arc, but it would be true to GOT and perfectly acceptable narrative wise.

However, having Bronn actually randomly kill (or attempt to kill) Jaime, would really be an incredibly lazy choice and I would be at new levels of disappointment with the show personally speaking.

Not sure it even really made sense for Cersei to send him of all people in the first place. Why would she? Unless she already knows he won't and wanted to send a message to Jaime, but....I'm not sure that makes much sense either.

It's why I think it'll be Tyrion, not Jaime. And it's not exactly random given they've telegraphed it in advance. It's only a theory.

What gives me pause for thought is that they've shown it on screen already so we're expecting something to happen.

While where on the subject of Tyrion does anyone think anything will come of the conversation he had off screen with Bran?

I think most people assumed it would affect The Night King story but obviously nothing we seen anyway.

Surely they have to address this seeing as they made a point of not showing any of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think a bigger issues is most of the characters seem to be on the same side. Some huge rift and back stabbing must be imminent.

I think we could quickly see the in fighting starting up again.

A common enemy unites and its been an "enemy of my enemy" alliance that was purely to survive.

How will the Starks react to Jon's new family status ? How will the dragon queen react? I dont see things ending happy family even if they defeat Cersei.

I would like to think that the fellowship/group that had the drinks together in Winterfell, the night before the battle, will remain loyal to each other. But again, this is GOT that set the tone from series 1, when Ned Starks head was lopped off, so I dont expect a Marvel ending for any of our beloved characters.

While where on the subject of Tyrion does anyone think anything will come of the conversation he had off screen with Bran?

I think most people assumed it would affect The Night King story but obviously nothing we seen anyway.

Surely they have to address this seeing as they made a point of not showing any of it.

Remind me what was this again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Necro wrote: »
    Well yeah, at this point Cersei is funded by stolen Tyrell gold and the Iron Bank rather than her own family's wealth.

This was a question I wanted to ask, in reading a piece about the Golden Company, they are being funded by stolen Highgarden gold. But if Dani stopped the Lannister army en route home, surely the gold never made it to King's Landing to pay off the Iron Bank debts and buy the services of the army.

What am I missing?

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Did drogon not incinerate the ballista in the battle of the goldroad?

A ballista features prominently in the credits sequence for this season, expect them to return. I don't think there was just enough material for one in the entire continent :pac: I also don't think the Golden Company plan to fight off two dragons with calvary :pac:

I wonder if the dragon's fire will set off the wild fyre.

This was a question I wanted to ask, in reading a piece about the Golden Company, they are being funded by stolen Highgarden gold. But if Dani stopped the Lannister army en route home, surely the gold never made it to King's Landing to pay off the Iron Bank debts and buy the services of the army.

What am I missing?

I can't remember where but it was mentioned that they secured the gold, just lost a lot of men and supplies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Penn wrote: »
    A big one-on-one swordfight between Jon and the Night King would have been a pretty bland and dull ending imo. .

It would have been pretty cliched too. That scene has been countless times. To death, one could say, heh, heh.

I can't remember where but it was mentioned that they secured the gold, just lost a lot of men and supplies.

This. The gold is secure. Unless someone robs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yeah the end of the baggage train was attacked, the main part with the gold was already in KL.
    Also fairly sure that gold was used to pay off the loan to the Iron Bank, and a new one taken out to hire the Golden Company

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I've no idea what the size of the Lannister army is, but let's say at least 10,000-15,000 at this point, possibly more. The Golden Company has 20,000 including cavalry. The Ironborn the same or more at least (I'm not sure).

I can't possibly see how there's even a small fraction of that left in the North.

I'm hoping the show doesn't irrationally conjure up a sizeable army that somehow survived Winterfell without explanation.

I have a fear they will (spoiler for preview of Ep4):
    the preview for next episode shows a sizable contingent of Unsullied which doesn't seem to make a huge amount of sense from what we saw

I wonder will Dorne come back into play to try and even the odds. I also noticed at Winterfell that the Knights of the Vale weren't there. edit for clarify: I know there were some bannermen, but the main force, including cavalry, didn't appear to be there.

It seems unlikely they would muddy the waters this late by introducing other armies from across Westeros, but it could happen.

Are they not just setting up the Golden Army to double cross Cerci by saying they've never broken a contract.

So that will be her undoing, hopefully not seems too obvious.

ogsjw wrote: »
    A ballista features prominently in the credits sequence for this season, expect them to return. I don't think there was just enough material for one in the entire continent :pac: I also don't think the Golden Company plan to fight off two dragons with calvary :pac:

I wonder if the dragon's fire will set off the wild fyre.

I think a mild curry will set it off...

There no lore about dragons, and fighting them. Lore would usually be a feature of this genre. Its odd that GOT doesn't really. We had a bit about the citadel and white walkers etc. Not much else.

Are they not just setting up the Golden Army to double cross Cerci by saying they've never broken a contract.

So that will be her undoing, hopefully not seems too obvious.

I think that would be too cheap from a narrative POV for them to double cross her per se, as a mercenary company famed for never breaking a contract....

Unless she forces their hand through sheer illogical and manacial behavior, to pull a full-army 'Kingslayer' move and abandon her.

Can't see them actually double crossing her though.

It's kind of clear that the writers have gone for trying to please the people that just want to see 'cool stuff', rather than the people who would like it to make some kind of coherent sense.

It's a pity really.

"Cool stuff" would have been the Dothraki kicking dead ass left and right with their flaming swords. Seeing them snuffed out from a distance and failing to make any visible impact was decidedly uncool...and much more worrying. Good call by the writers say I.

Likewise, the lazy "cool stuff" approach would have been to have Jon Snow slash his way through countless minions to finally face off and then ultimately, after a long drawn-out fight and just when things are really looking bad, defeat the Night King - just like Braveheart, The Patriot...etc...zzzz. Instead, the viewers gets..."aha, here's Jon-boy for the big fight...oh that's a lot of wights to get through...and now the Night King's buggered off...hmmm what now...maybe Bran will do something...ah it's Arya!...oops not so good Arya...wait...ah...that showed him." A surprise opponent for the Night King, and a quick kill, defying the cliches. Another good call by the writers, say I.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,690 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think that would be too cheap from a narrative POV for them to double cross her per se, as a mercenary company famed for never breaking a contract....

Unless she forces their hand through sheer illogical and manacial behavior, to pull a full-army 'Kingslayer' move and abandon her.

Can't see them actually double crossing her though.

Surely Daario Naharis still has a role to play ,
    Id bet my bottom doller he turns up with the gold company ,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Yeah the end of the baggage train was attacked, the main part with the gold was already in KL.
    Also fairly sure that gold was used to pay off the loan to the Iron Bank, and a new one taken out to hire the Golden Company

Yeah pretty sure they showed the gold being marched into KL. If not then I dreamed it up and I need to stop watching too much GOT :pac:

Remind me what was this again?

Tyrion asked Bran about how he became the three eyed raven etc.

It then cuts away and we see nothing.

• Advertisement

I remember thinking this was a bit of a plot hole at the time but forgot about it. I don't understand how they'd be attacked and let others with the gold cart back home. I'm trying to remember, had they sent the gold on ahead of them at the start of the episode or something?

It was the vanguard of the army that sacked Highgarden that was caught and destroyed along with a lot of supplies.

Again I can't remember the exact dialogue but it's suggested that a good portion of the Lannister/Tarly army made it to Kings Landing with the wealth seperately, ahead of the forces Jaime was leading.

Is this a good time to ask...what did the Night King want, anyway?

I remember thinking this was a bit of a plot hole at the time but forgot about it. I don't understand how they'd be attacked and let others with the gold cart back home. I'm trying to remember, had they sent the gold on ahead of them at the start of the episode or something?

They were spread out. The head of the army and the gold had already made it in.

The rest of the army was strung out in a column in the open.

Tactically that battle made much more sense. Also used the dragons much better.

storker wrote: »

Lol. No idea. Everyone dead was mentioned. But not Bran, or why he wanted him etc.

All I think we really know is he wanted to rid the world of three eyed raven. Wipe history as such.

I assume killing anyone in his path goes along with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

By the looks of things, that's a question that wont be answered along with what all the symbols meant.

Lol. No idea. Everyone dead was mentioned. But not Bran, or why he wanted him etc.

Basically to destroy the realms of men. The three eyed raven - now Bran - represented the memories of all who existed so he wanted to snuff him out.

Basically your typical tyrannical maniac who wished nothing but death and destruction.

Surely Daario Naharis still has a role to play ,
    Id bet my bottom doller he turns up with the gold company ,

I was just thinking that very thing earlier.

Necro wrote: »
    Basically your typical tyrannical maniac who wished nothing but death and destruction.

The Night King and Cersei would have made quite the power couple...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Vladimir Furdik aka The Night King, the fight scenes he is capable off. Oh what a character the NK could have been...

Advertisement