Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 3 "The Long Night" - Spoilers post 2 forwa

Options
1454647484951»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Saw a thing on facebook comparing images from the episode with the same after fans had brightened them. When I watched it, it was all like the ones after brightening. What I did was turn up the brightness on my screen...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

What season do they stop following the books material? how long has it been since the last book was out?

They have had a lot longer than 2 years to structure the happenings of this season, lets not pretend it was any less than that :rolleyes:

You don't handle a seasons story, a season at a time when your show is doing as well as game of thrones is, there was no chance it was going to get canceled before they finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

It’s all gone like the Walking Dead.

The walking dead his been **** from the very start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

gizabeer wrote: »
    The walking dead his been **** from the very start

First seasons a bit dumb and weak, but thats mostly due to budget constraints, season 2 has its moments. But season 3 to the first episode in season 7 is quality TV. Then it turns into a bag of ****e for the rest of season 7 and 8, i gave up on it then so no idea how 9 fairs.

But eh, now that you say it, what happened to TWD's quality is a lot like whats happened with GoT :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Re-watched it again tonight, on an older TV that the smart TV I watched last week. I looked to see if I had any issues seeing anything with the darkness: not one tbh. The only parts I struggled to see were the parts it's clear you were supposed to struggle to see, i.e. during the blizzard. I can't believe the arrogance of some people being like "If you don't see this is BAD TV, I feel sorry for you", patronising others while not understanding the situation fully themselves. It's kinda funny tbh.

I think this episode is going to age and be remembered well tbh. The likes of episodes 5-6 last year have aged badly because of the dumb plan to capture the wight that counted for so little in the long run. The premise was flawed, the action wasn't believable or particularly remarkable, the twists fell a little flat because they zigged where they should've zagged, while characters behaved bafflingly (e.g. Jon refusing to just escape and get on the dragon in favour of killing a few more wights for...reasons...)

The problems people have with this episode, while I don't deny their existence, it's a case of already the majority are able to live with them and accept that TV shows have to be entertaining and emotional ahead of realistic. The issues are nitpicking, and the thing with nitpicking is that as time goes on with re-watches you accept the issues you had (because they're not changing) and watch it for the other stuff, and this episode delivers big with 'other stuff'. Arya killing NK is already iconic, Jorah and Theon's deaths are really emotional (Drogon surrounding Dany and Jorah is a beautiful moment), the Dothraki lights going out, Arya's Jurassic Park scene etc. Those are the kind of things people will judge this on in the long run. The nitpicky bits are the 24 hour stories talking heads pick up on for the sake of content but quickly gets forgotten about (nobody cares about time jumps anymore for example...which was still a ridiculous thing to moan about at the time, since it's always been a part of the show but people didn't mind when it wasn't cool to moan about GoT).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

There are fans of this show from the beginning because of the politics, character interactions and twists and turns. Since season 5, practically all of those things have disappeared and we're left with a generic tv show with no surprises or shocks anymore. It's no coincidence that this occured with no dialogue from the books to lead the story.

Remember Tyrions scenes, with dialogue taken from the books, his speach in the trial sequence and interactions with Tywin? Brilliant tv. All he does now is wander around with a constant worried frown...no intelligent dialogue at all.

I think people who loved this episode didn't really get these great moments earlier in the series and waited for the big dramatic scenes instead.

I rewatched episode 3 a second time and found it worse than the first viewing. I have watched the earlier seasons numerous times and the great moments never get old.

Yeah, it's definitely going to be remembered as having taken a nose dive the last couple of seasons.. Like, at this stage I don't care what happens..I kind of want Cersei to win out..
    It won't be held in the same regard as the greats.. It will be remembered as star wars will be.. started out great..ended up crass comerciality..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

nix wrote: »
    First seasons a bit dumb and weak, but thats mostly due to budget constraints, season 2 has its moments. But season 3 to the first episode in season 7 is quality TV. Then it turns into a bag of ****e for the rest of season 7 and 8, i gave up on it then so no idea how 9 fairs.

But eh, now that you say it, what happened to TWD's quality is a lot like whats happened with GoT :(

Season 9 was surprisingly very good and back on form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Wailin wrote: »
    There are fans of this show from the beginning because of the politics, character interactions and twists and turns. Since season 5, practically all of those things have disappeared and we're left with a generic tv show with no surprises or shocks anymore. It's no coincidence that this occured with no dialogue from the books to lead the story.

Remember Tyrions scenes, with dialogue taken from the books, his speach in the trial sequence and interactions with Tywin? Brilliant tv. All he does now is wander around with a constant worried frown...no intelligent dialogue at all.

I think people who loved this episode didn't really get these great moments earlier in the series and waited for the big dramatic scenes instead.

I rewatched episode 3 a second time and found it worse than the first viewing. I have watched the earlier seasons numerous times and the great moments never get old.

GRR is a fantastic writer, but he's had years to pore over dialogue and make sure every interaction and plot twist makes sense.

Despite some fantastic scenes, I actually wish GoT shied away from action in favour of dialogue, much like the books, but here we are.

Just watching it again that scene where Arya killed him is so bad..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

very suprising actually.if you are a casual watcher who has not been there from the start then I can undstand you liking this episode but it completely destroys Jons story arc in favor of Arya fan service. This has really become a LOST like situation and I think the episode will be remembered as the point when the show died for a lot of people.

Who said I was a casual viewer? I’ve watched all episodes and read all books? What does casual even mean anyway? What do the non-casuals do yo earn that title?

There’s no Jon arc. There was no Stannis arc. There was no Ned Stark arc.

And why was Ayra doing the deed a “fan service” anyway, the self appointed “non casual” fans don’t like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Rewatched it again with the brightness settings way up, it looked fairly washed out but I caught a lot more then I did first go around. Having sat on the whole Arya thing I think I'd have found it a lot easier to take if it turned out that that was Jon's and Arya's plan all along and/or if Jon had proven himself better commander in how he set up Winterfells defences. Arranging them something like this https://youtu.be/EA5mJRFaI8c

If his brilliant generalship had in any way contributed to giving Arya the time or opening to get to the Night King, then that would help me Square the circle as to why the Lord of Light allowed him to be resurrected in the first place if he isn't actually Azhor Azhai. You could still grind down their(Dany's and Jon's) forces as was seemingly the requirement, just not spending them pointlessly just to show what a force of nature the Wights were.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just finished episode now.
    I have seen all of the show but not an insane fanatic.
    I thought it was a fantastic time episode of TV, I generally prefer the chattier episodes tbh.
    Agree with the dark experience.
    The deaths were all a tad second tier I was expecting a few bigger characters to die.
    Lyanna Mormont a hero til the end.
    The other deaths all felt a tad inevitable and predictably heroic.

Cersei clearly the big winner this week, she has to face about 10 soldiers at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,065 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This review really nails the issues with episode.
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/review-game-of-thrones-episode-3-season-8-pulled-o/1100-6466520/
    There's no catharsis or payoff in anything that happened in "The Long Night." Yes, it was cool to see Jon and Dany tearing through the sky on their dragons laying waste to the army of the dead with massive gouts of flame. But this episode felt weirdly self-contained, like everything that's happened leading up to it didn't matter. Every fan theory I've seen about the battle with the dead--whether it's a theory from the books 20 years ago or from Reddit last week--is immeasurably more interesting than what actually happened....
    It's incredible to me that this episode was written by showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, because it feels like it was written by somebody who's never seen the show before, much less has any understanding of the source material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If I recall Bienhoff and Weiss came out at some pint in the last year to say they've basically just lost all interwst in the show... and holy Christ is it ever apparent.

I'm sorry but this episode was brutal to be kind about it. They've turned the thing more or less into a marvel movie at this point. Still an amazing show on the whole but such a shame to see it end like it has.

Billy86 wrote: »
    If I recall Bienhoff and Weiss came out at some pint in the last year to say they've basically just lost all interwst in the show... and holy Christ is it ever apparent.

That's f*cking disgraceful if true..Is it just because they can't write it?.. They should never be allowed near a camera again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's f*cking disgraceful if true..Is it just because they can't write it?.. They should never be allowed near a camera again..

That's the worst part. They're perfectly capable of writing a good yarn with or without book material.

They did a bang-up job of adapting the ASOFAF source material.

They did a very decent job of continuing the story beyond the source material in S6.

Whatever about Wiess, Benioff is a good writer and has written award winning books.

They also did a half-decent if rushed job in keeping GOT going in S7.

It's only in S8 they've dropped the ball - from a great height.

Cannot really understand it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

As I said in another thread, it's shocking to me if they have lost interest, as this is the series they'll be remembered for, whether they like it or not. To piss away the ending of a career defining show just because they couldn't be arsed anymore is absolutely unforgivable and should make them unhirable. Its shows disrespect to the actors and other crew members who have invested the best part of a decade working on this show and to the audience who have given it their time. But as I've said before, it really does seem at times that the fans have a better understanding of the Game of Thrones universe than the writers do and often the fan theories are way more interesting than what actually unfolds in the show. Maybe it's that the fans actually care more about these characters than the writers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

Billy86 wrote:

Evidence????

• Registered Users Posts: 16,065 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If I recall Bienhoff and Weiss came out at some pint in the last year to say they've basically just lost all interwst in the show...

About the 11th pint I'd say:

maxresdefault.jpg

Dave, Dave, you're me besht friend. Tell me are you sick of all this zombies & dragons nonsense too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

To be fair, GRRM also seems to have lost interest in actually finishing the series he started. Either it is writers block or apathy towards his own creation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

RickBlaine wrote: »
    To be fair, GRRM also seems to have lost interest in actually finishing the series he started. Either it is writers block or apathy towards his own creation.

Oh yeah, either way he definitely left them in the lurch and if their strength is adaptation and not originals it's hard to fault them too much for the drop in quality (though the drop in enthusiasm is extremely noticeable - the girlfriend is bingeing the first few series over the last 2-3 weeks and the difference is jarring). Wasn't the last book supposed to be out by the end of the 2nd or 3rd season or something, originally?

I will try to find the interview, I was half asleep reading it but recall them talking about 8 years bei g a long time, commitments changing, family etc.

You cant blame GRRM for any of this.

HBO wanted to make the show and did, they knew how long it took him to write books in general when they took it up.

The writers are the ones who actually wrote the show and if they weren't capable or motivated it should have been passed off.

It's been so poor that it really didn't matter who would have taken it on but given what the super fans have come up with I'd imagine more motivated writers who were also knew the show well would have given it a better send off.

The fact they are also making a fool of themselves in interviews after the shows have aired really doesn't help my annnoyance.

Yeah, it almost seems like they're trolling everyone or something..f*ck sake..GOT was a significant piece of art that became culturally relevant.. for them to just run it into the ground is just sinful..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Yeah, it almost seems like they're trolling everyone or something..f*ck sake..GOT was a significant piece of art that became culturally relevant.. for them to just run it into the ground is just sinful..
    The only reason I can think of is that they were told how it had to end and tried to write backwards from that i.e the money behind the show wanted a certain ending and to create it meant throwing away almost everything that had gone before.

Advertisement