Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 3 "The Long Night" - Spoilers post 2 forwa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

dusty bin wrote: »
    Maybe Jon cant get them to breathe fire yet until he learns Valaryian. :D

"Repeat after me. Dracarys."

"Jercaris?"

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

Lor11 wrote: »
    Maybe we'll get a "how to Train your dragon" scene in the next episode ðŸ˜

wasnt kit harrington in one of those films (voice work anyway) as far as i can remember. the man behind the character should be an expert in dragon riding at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Rewatched it again there.

I had no issues with the picture. Must say it's a brilliant episode. Moves along so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lor11

dusty bin wrote: »
    wasnt kit harrington in one of those films (voice work anyway) as far as i can remember. the man behind the character should be an expert in dragon riding at this stage.

Yeah but Jon Snow knows nothing

About to watch again with my bro who's seeing it for the first time.

Gonna just take it all at face value and try enjoy the ride.

Dear Jesus. I had calmed down, but now I'm just all pissed off again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I mean it's not rocket science

wf0.png

wf1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

wf0.png

wf1.png

Thanks commander, I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

About to watch again with my bro who's seeing it for the first time.

Gonna just take it all at face value and try enjoy the ride.

I can imagine it being a poor viewing experience for your brother.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

wf0.png

wf1.png

Jesus Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Jesus Christ

Fenton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

On the whole John doing nothing thing:I reckon his job was to protect bran and lure the NK out.
    As he was fighting his way to bran he could have helped his friends in trouble but didn't, he had to stick to the plan Arya just got there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ferajacka wrote: »
    On the whole John doing nothing thing:I reckon his job was to protect bran and lure the NK out.
    As he was fighting his way to bran he could have helped his friends in trouble but didn't, he had to stick to the plan Arya just got there first.

Yeah the cuts they done didnt explain their plan very well, but from what i saw, i think the whole purpose of Dany and Jon flying to the mountain nearby was to wait for the night king to show and then fly at him and light him up.

But Dany seen the Dothraki get rekt and she turns to go help and Jon stops her and says "The night king is coming" and she responds with "But the dead are already here", Now what i think they should have said instead of that terrible exchange (If im right) something like "Where are you going? the night king isnt here yet" and then Dany could respond with "I cant just stand here and watch my people die, i have to help" or whatever!

How the exchange actually went down, i cant believe everybody who read that was happy with it, i mean i just came up with better in the minute it took me to write that paragraph :rolleyes::pac:

I do have to agree with you after watching it a second time. The first time around I was like FFS Jon but in fairness it wasn't his fault that they didn't stay where they were supposed to be for the battle, that was Dany and he did try his best to get back in time to save Bran. I think the most frustrating thing about him in battle mode is that he falls into traps too easily eg: start battle of the bastards and again when the NK rose the dead ( something he had seen before) he lets passion take over which could cost him dearly if others weren't there to help him. I think Jon is a great leader who brilliant at getting people motivated but I'm not sure if he's a military leader.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Found this disappointing to be honest.

Lots of silly mistakes like the artillery being out front, the Dothraki charging off into the abyss against an unknown opponent which doesn't rout, unmanned walls, named characters in command positions in the frontline and Brandon Stark doing nothing. The presentation of the start of the battle was fantastic but it feels like the writing has dropped in quality. The intrigue, the wit and the sense that anyone can die at any time have all gone. In addition, Tyrion is now completely useless. Jon and Dany are still interesting while Cersei is getting a good arc but Tyrion is now completely useless and has been for some time.

I'm happy to see that we're getting and ending but disappointed that it's looking every more rushed and sloppy.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

If a wight gets killed can it be brought back to life again by the NK. I’m guessing so the dead is never actually dead unless burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

bazermc wrote: »
    If a wight gets killed can it be brought back to life again by the NK. I’m guessing so the dead is never actually dead unless burned.

or killed with dragon glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    or killed with dragon glass.

Oh so when Jon Snow (or Aegon as I suppose we should start calling him) told Cersei you could kill wights with fire or dragon glass, he was technically telling truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Oh so when Jon Snow (or Aegon as I suppose we should start calling him) told Cersei you could kill wights with fire or dragon glass, he was technically telling truth.

This was discussed earlier in the thread.
    When the NK raised the dead during the battle - he raised dead dothraki & unsullied fighters and the bodies in the crypt.
    Dead wights weren't raised again from their initial death by fire or dragon glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Ironically the Night King ended up luring him all over the place.

In fact the Night King's entire strategy worked perfectly. Was one swing away from killing Bran. Alas it seems he became almost overconfident and allowed himself to be put in a position to be effectively assassinated.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Ironically the Night King ended up luring him all over the place.

In fact the Night King's entire strategy worked perfectly. Was one swing away from killing Bran. Alas it seems he became almost overconfident and allowed himself to be put in a position to be effectively assassinated.

Yes he's strategy was almost perfect. Jon was his biggest threat which he dealt with and he couldn't have known about Arya. I think his flaw was he understimated his enemy, Bran is still very new to the three eyed raven thing in terms of GOT, I think this is why he chose to strike before bran became too powerful. Bran (and the lord of light) had other plans though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

This may cheer you up. I know I found it much easier to watch than the actual episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I watched that earlier, it is absolutely fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't usually watch YouTube commentaries on anything, but that's pretty good. Nothing that hasn't been said countless times on this thread already obviously but pretty amusing to listen to.

He starts summarizing at about 27m, that's where I watched from. Just makes me more annoyed with the episode itself to be honest!

Anyway, the broader 'problem' is that the show was clearly originally envisioned to run for longer, but at some point they took the decision to wrap it all up in a spectacle driven manner. 13 episodes was never going to be long enough to bring everything together comphrehensively in a manner that respected what 60 previous episodes had slowly, and very carefully, built up and crafted.

Tons of subplots, secondary characters, rich dialogue, political and interpersonal complexity and narrative depth immediately flew out the window (or were lazily wrapped up at speed just to get rid of them) in favour of rocketing towards an end as quickly as possible in grand visual style.

At this point very few of the characters have any real depth anymore. Look at Tyrion and Varys in particular....it's nothing to do with the screen time, but the quality of writing for these characters since around S6 is desperately poor. They've no time for them, so give them painfully generic and uninspired dialogue as an afterthough that doesn't remotely tally with how the characters were established in previous seasons. They did the same thing to Littlefinger - one of the most intelligent, cunning and forward-planning characters in the entire show through the first seasons - unmatched in his ability to play the game - reduced to an easily outsmarted fool with clumsy, awkward dialogue.

Still great entertainment to be fair and better than most of what's on TV. I went to see Avengers: Endgame recently though - top class entertainment and an outrageously easy watch. It's not particularly clever or all that deep, but it's a great film and knows its audience. Problem with GOT is that it very much used to be incredibly clever with limitless depth...but now it's turned into a pure visual experience.

I thought S7 was weak at the time it aired with serious pacing problems - still enjoyable mind - but the disappointment with S8E03 is something else. It's like a death knell to what Game of Thrones used to be. Keeping in mind that objectively I still think it was great TV and perfectly entertaining.

Interestingly, I noted after watching S08E02 that there was a major improvement in the writing in that episode and it did feel like a 'proper' Game of Thrones episode....it wasn't written by Dan and Dave. Nor was the first episode which also wasn't too bad at all either in terms of the writing quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I do have to agree with you after watching it a second time. The first time around I was like FFS Jon but in fairness it hasn't his fault that they didn't stay where they were supposed to be for the battle, that was Dany and he did try his best to get back in time to save Bran. I think the most frustrating thing about him in battle mode is that he falls into traps too easily eg: start battle of the bastards and again when the NK rose the dead ( something he had seen before) he lets passion take over which could cost him dearly if others weren't there to help him. I think Jon is a great leader who brilliant at getting people motivated but I'm not sure if he's a military leader.

He's a bit of a Martin O'Neill kind of leader. Great at motivating his side but once that doesn't work he had nothing else to offer

He's a bit of a Martin O'Neill kind of leader. Great at motivating his side but once that doesn't work he had nothing else to offer

He's no Jack Charlton thats for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

He's no Jack Charlton thats for sure!

They've qualified for the Throne
    Go and compete!

:pac:

nix wrote: »
    They've qualified for the Throne
    Go and compete!

:pac:

It's time to putt'em under pressure!!

I can imagine it being a poor viewing experience for your brother.....

You really think I'm that big of a child that I'd let him even know I didn't think it was good?

I'm not stupid Winnie. I pretended it was good till he said it was bad. Even then I told him to not think about any of the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

This may cheer you up. I know I found it much easier to watch than the actual episode.

Top notch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Top notch!
    Half a minute is all I could last. I'm allergic to the Welsh accent.
    "Literally facckkin literally literally faackkin"
    Twat.

Advertisement