Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman shot & killed in Derry being treated as a terrorist incident MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

noodler wrote: »
    Well, that wasn't at all what was said.

He was referring to this post by NIMAN and agreeing with it.

"As someone who hopes to live to see a United Ireland, if this is what's needed to bring about, then count me out"

So it is exactly what he proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

this is BS. they are nothing short of criminals, not Republicans.

Part of me wonders is the official line of 'Dissident Republicans' put out to have the Sinn Fein hard liners put manners on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

3 posts from you so far and not a word condemning these "republican" arse holes

My condemnation goes without saying. I support the GFA, all its institutions, strands, and aspirations for a workable peaceful society in the north.
    just doing all you can to ensure the blame is firmly directed at the DUP. Says a fcuking lot

I did not initiate the 'two-sides-are-as-bad-as-each-other' bullshit. The false equivalence is a huge part of the problem. We need to draw a distinction between those who support the GFA, Stormont, cross-border institutions, rights etc and those don't.

Reproductive Rights
    Scotland ✓
    Wales ✓
    England ✓
    Norn Iron ✗ -- Blocked by Unionists.

Minority Language Legislation
    Scotland ✓
    Wales ✓

Marriage Equality Legislation
    Scotland ✓
    Wales ✓
    England ✓

Unionists: 'It's SF's fault'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

17 year old lifted, assumed to be the shooter apparently. Won't name names but if you know anyone from Derry I'm sure you'll see the Facebook profile sooner or later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

So you change you mind about a perfectly reasonable aspiration a United Ireland because some uneducated person (probably a teenage) take a shot at some police and kills an innocent woman.

Do you let the actions of idiots in general change you political ideas?

I didn't change my mind at all. I wasn't willing to support a United Ireland before this and I'm not willing to support one after. This is just another example of why I'm not interested in trying integrate that social and economic basket case into our country.

I said I though NIMAN's position was reasonable and representative of most living in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Seems our dissident friends were busy last night. Not only murdering, but also robbing.

https://www.thejournal.ie/kells-atm-theft-4599732-Apr2019/

4 ATMS stolen, two in the north, two in the south.

Pathetic and worrying at the same time. Funds could be used to buy more guns. Classic Provo tactics of the past.

My condemnation goes without saying. I support the GFA, all its institutions, strands, and aspirations for a workable peaceful society in the north.

I did not initiate the 'two-sides-are-as-bad-as-each-other' bullshit. The false equivalence is a huge part of the problem. We need to draw a distinction between those who support the GFA, Stormont, cross-border institutions, rights etc and those don't.

Reproductive Rights
    Scotland ✓
    Wales ✓
    England ✓

Minority Language Legislation
    Scotland ✓
    Wales ✓

Marriage Equality Legislation
    Scotland ✓
    Wales ✓
    England ✓

Unionists: 'It's SF's fault'.

Sorry but what the **** has this murder got to do with Unionists....
    You are utterly pathetic in your attempts to divert attention away from this murder by Irish nationalist scumbags

Save it for your next rant on Brexit.

markodaly wrote: »
    Dismantled and sunk numerous times by whom exactly?

It's been sunk here on boards regularly, and by anyone with even a degree of understanding. The only people who call for Nationalists to take their seats in Westminster are people who are clueless or those who know they won't or would benefit from it i.e. the DUP. In the Brexit thread in politics SF abstention isn't even allowed to be discussed because its 'benefits' have been so thoroughly trashed.

Sorry but what the **** has this murder got to do with Unionists....

You seem to have trouble following the flow of the thread. I can't help you with that.

For those who can they'll see that someone brought up the 'two-sides-are-as-bad' trope when it came to politics in the north and I'm demonstrating why that's simply untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Derry is the correct place and not Londonderry....??

Glad to see that RTE news report have called the city by its correct name Derry.

Sky News always get it wrong.

Looks like republican dissidents are in the frame for this murder.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0419/1043543-new-ira-northern-ireland/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Amirani wrote: »
    I didn't change my mind at all. I wasn't willing to support a United Ireland before this and I'm not willing to support one after. This is just another example of why I'm not interested in trying integrate that social and economic basket case into our country.

I said I though NIMAN's position was reasonable and representative of most living in Ireland.

So you think it is reasonable to change you political ideas because of the murder of an innocent women? The country would be a basket case if we bowed down to every kid with a gun.

I would say that your ideology would be a recipe for disaster, just as well most people dont think your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

kravmaga wrote: »
    Glad to see that RTE news report have called the city by its correct name Derry.

Sky News always get it wrong.

Looks like republican dissidents are in the frame for this murder.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0419/1043543-new-ira-northern-ireland/
    sounds like speculation at this point

For those who can they'll see that someone brought up the 'two-sides-are-as-bad' trope when it came to politics in the north and I'm demonstrating why that's simply untrue.

Yes, it clearly the priority to defend SF/IRA on a thread where violent Irish nationalism rears its ugly head again.

Well done.

q7e6k.jpg

In the Brexit thread in politics SF abstention isn't even allowed to be discussed because its 'benefits' have been so thoroughly trashed.

That is an outright lie. It's not allowed because the mods don't want to turn into the usual NI type thread where people argue over that inane topic, rather than discuss Brexit.

Having a Nationalist voice in Westminister is a no brainer. I hope to dear god, if there is an election soon, we get more SDLP MP's this time around.

At least they will actually do something for nationalists, other than ceding all power to the DUP but collect their MP salaries and expenses.

If Hurling on the ditch was a GAA sport SF would be the Dublin of it.

Yes, it clearly the priority to defend SF/IRA on a thread where violent Irish nationalism rears its ugly head again.

SF/IRA? What decade are you posting from? Grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Twitter comments are exactly what I was expecting.

Anyone on either side who is more outraged about a place name than about the death of a human being can fuck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,061 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Lavinia wrote: »
    any link to those news but from before she was killed? i cannot seem to find it. i tried.

It was on the BBC about the riots before she was killed

okay thanks, i will search bbc thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

This thread is pure muck. Everyone pushing their ideologies while a family are grieving. Grow the fcuk up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's the way most threads involving NI politics goes.

• Advertisement

try to search it and there are absolutely no articles on this on bbc website except the ones about the killing

coincidence probably...

example
    https://www.bbc.com/news/localnews/2643736-londonderry-derry/0

• Registered Users Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Lavinia wrote: »
    try to search it and there are absolutely no articles on this on bbc website except the ones about the killing

coincidence probably...

example
    https://www.bbc.com/news/localnews/2643736-londonderry-derry/0

You are flogging a dead horse here, the BBC and other outlets were reporting on the rioting last night. The story escalated when the shooting happened

Ok thanks, I am just trying to find what were they reporting before this about the protests, that's all. If anyone has a link to article prior to this Id appreciate it lots, thanks a lot.
    Now everything is made about the murder and how anyone who search any other information is either a traitor or is terrible human being who has not feelings for the grieving family or whatever.
    But its not that. Id like to know what happened before this.
    Anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I have posted for ages here about Londonderry/ doire and it’s major issues around anti social behavior and the rise of dissident Irish republicanism there. I was shouted down by many but unfortunately this proves my point.

I also said that republicans will not be happy until they murder someone again.

What a pile of dickheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

It was really only a matter of time before something like happened and the way things are going it likely won't be the last. I can't help but think that she put herself in harms way because she was in a very dangerous situation as tweeted just before that. There is a hardcore element of both sides of the political divide itching to return to the ways of the past. Mass ATM thefts are surely linked to this also as Militiant Republicans rearm in a return to their armed struggle .

From a Nationalist point of view the ballot box has sadly failed and the Good Friday Agreement is effectively dead, as we saw from before, when the ballot box fails the bullet follows shortly after. As the Unionist demographic shrinks you will see more incidents like this and another armed struggle until Unity is achieved or there is major concessions like returning to the politics of consensus and compromise, getting a devolved assembly up and running would help. With Corbyn on the cusp of getting power in the UK he would love nothing more than to offload Northern Ireland to the ROI and it seems certain that a United Ireland will happen whether by bloody conflict or hopefully by peacefully democratic means. It is a disgrace that this young woman lost her life due to breakouts of violence like this, which are directly related to the continued political deadlock and failure of consensus there.

theguzman wrote: »
    It was really only a matter of time before something like happened and the way things are going it likely won't be the last. I can't help but think that she put herself in harms way because she was in a very dangerous situation as tweeted just before that. There is a hardcore element of both sides of the political divide itching to return to the ways of the past. Mass ATM thefts are surely linked to this also as Militiant Republicans rearm in a return to their armed struggle .

From a Nationalist point of view the ballot box has sadly failed and the Good Friday Agreement is effectively dead, as we saw from before, when the ballot box fails the bullet follows shortly after. As the Unionist demographic shrinks you will see more incidents like this and another armed struggle until Unity is achieved or there is major concessions like returning to the politics of consensus and compromise, getting a devolved assembly up and running would help. With Corbyn on the cusp of getting power in the UK he would love nothing more than to offload Northern Ireland to the ROI and it seems certain that a United Ireland will happen whether by bloody conflict or hopefully by peacefully democratic means. It is a disgrace that this young woman lost her life due to breakouts of violence like this, which are directly related to the continued political deadlock and failure of consensus there.

Will you be up for the bloody conflict part?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Rip to the poor wee girl '
    Lock the gunman and his handlers up for life.

davycc wrote: »
    Rip to the poor wee girl '
    Lock the gunman and his handlers up for life.

What do you mean by “Handlers”? Thanks Davy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This was some tracksuit wearing moron with a gun.

I don't buy this "orchastrated, organised, planned" language by the police and media.

It's giving juvenile delinquents an absurd amount of credit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement