Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman shot & killed in Derry being treated as a terrorist incident MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

So tragic. 29 years of age and shot dead and for what reason? I watched and read some her work today and a promising young life has been cut short. I wish her family all the strength to deal with this tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

A mural in the Creggan has been updated today.

https://twitter.com/freyamcc/status/1119197481642930179?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

poisonated wrote: »
    Bill Clinton has released a statement over this

Care to bother to tell us what the statement was?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

R.I.P

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My sincerest condolences go out to Lynn Mc Kee's family after hearing about her horrific murder in Derry. May she RIP.

I was left speechless after only hearing it on the news tonight. It had frightened me because she was the same age as me when she was killed that night. There was no justification for this murder in Derry under any circumstance. She was an beautiful innocent person who deserved all kinds of good things for being in the good of society. And that statement will still stand with me forever.

A woman who was out there doing her job & she was killed for not inflaming any ill tension, reason or circumstance towards the rest of society. A woman who was just out there to observe & report the facts about that raid in Derry like any other journalist would have done either living north or south or in any other part of the world. She was out there for simply doing her job & she did not deserve to get killed as an innocent victim while attempting to observe it's facts.

These scumbags who take part in these criminal acts do not care about what innocent people do in their daily lives. They are there to destroy every part of their lives whenever & where ever possible. A place like NI, albeit a small minority, still has these people stuck here as a result of the troubles. A group of people who are vehemently stuck in the ways of old & who do not possess any reason or logic from within their own minds.

And what kind of group who live there would describe the circumstances of this murder as "defending the people of Derry from a foreign crown". That type of rhetoric is unthinkable & outrageous when living in a 21st century country like Ireland. It does not represent the rest of us, i.e. the majority of our society, who value peace as a core aspect of living here when they act as modern & open Irish thinking individuals. This majority values peace because it is one of life's greatest benefits.

I hope that whoever is caught for this horrible crime by the PSNI is brought to the most severe & suitable form of justice for a lifetime in a prison cell by keeping Lynn's family & friends decency & integrity & who were there for a big part of her life in the past. I hope they get proper justice as they go through of her murder. The punishments from NI's courts must be severe & long lasting by not being eligible for release under the GFA. This piece of filth who killed her should be put there behind bars in prison for the rest of his life with the key thrown away from him with no chance of a release. This will be some comfort for all of us. I hope it happens quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

No government assembly in northern Ireland. The British government totally blinkerd by Brexit and the lrish government don't give a damn about northern Ireland. It's not looking good for the north. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Its a disgrace that theres no urgency to resume power sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Unfortunately Derry is fertile ground for dissident activity, it's marginalised within NI, which in turn is marginalised within the UK, with all the attendant social issues with austerity, poverty and unemployment which this young woman bravely and eloquently reported on, the lack of Stormont governance doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

maps of the shooting https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2019/04/19/an-open-source-survey-of-the-shooting-of-lyra-mckee/ who were they shooting at? the gun men seemed to be very close to the two psni vans? were thre psni standing outside the third vehicle behind ? vehicles could the gun men not see all the bystanders standing round right next to them ?

They claim sending police in searching for weapons is an attack on the people of Derry and to prove why the police shouldn’t look for guns, they shoot someone

What a bunch of complete tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Aegir wrote: »
    They claim sending police in searching for weapons is an attack on the people of Derry and to prove why the police shouldn’t look for guns, they shoot someone

What a bunch of complete tools.

In fairness, this is Republican logic.

Remember the time the Shinners were trying to do away with the Special Criminal Courts?? They claimed it was aggravating a community.
    More like aggravating their Provo criminal buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,061 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Berserker wrote: »
    Given the increase in the number of ATM robberies and intimidation of businesses in NI; Newry appears to be suffering most, it's clear to me that republicans want to return to violence. The Unionist community in NI, the British government and the political parties in the RoI, have made it clear that they've no appetite for violence. One body of people and only one, are interested in violence

Yep just ignore all the trouble around the bonfires and the 12th along with the funds and recent killings in loyalist communities

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Lavinia wrote: »
    just google it. if you have some point to make just do it, i don't have to write what you expect me to. its childish.

I know exactly what it means, i was just curious as to your interpretation but then thats typical of the like of you who fire out 1169 blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John2136

Anyway whoever that muppet was messed it up for the new IRA completely whatever support they had is most likely gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

John2136 wrote: »
    Anyway whoever that muppet was messed it up for the new IRA completely whatever support they had is most likely gone now

Don't count on it, the news cycle moves at the speed of light nowadays and as terrible as it is to say this event will lose it's sense of immediacy and shock factor (arguably as everything does) in the coming days, except of course for her nearest and dearest.

Derry, Partition, the Northern state and all it's attendant issues will still be there and be what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dd973 wrote: »
    Don't count on it, the news cycle moves at the speed of light nowadays and as terrible as it is to say this event will lose it's sense of immediacy and shock factor (arguably as everything does) in the coming days, except of course for her nearest and dearest.

Derry, Partition, the Northern state and all it's attendant issues will still be there and be what they are.

Unfortunately all true.

Berserker wrote: »
    Given the increase in the number of ATM robberies and intimidation of businesses in NI; Newry appears to be suffering most, it's clear to me that republicans want to return to violence. The Unionist community in NI, the British government and the political parties in the RoI, have made it clear that they've no appetite for violence. One body of people and only one, are interested in violence.

giphy.webp

And what has this got to the with the disgusting murder being discussed in this thread? Another poor attempt to deflect away from it, I suspect.

You'd love that would't you? Its quite clear that the overwhelming majority of Republicans have no wish to return to violence. Seriously do try and educate yourself a wee bit

Dont think so, much and all as some might wish, this has caused revulsion on a scale i haven't seen before, well not for many years anyway, even from staunch 'republicans'.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John2136

They're going to need some kind of spectacular, the provos killed civilians but they were killing more soldiers and policemen than civilians so it was easier to ignore, I don't think the New IRA have killed even one soldier or police man (though I could be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dont think so, much and all as some might wish, this has caused revulsion on a scale i haven't seen before, well not for many years anyway, even from staunch 'republicans'.

But why wouldn't it cause revulsion from even the most hardened republican?

A 29yr old innocent civilian was shot dead on the streets of Derry. If you don't find it repulsive, then there is something wrong with you.

The problem is, the people who support the New IRA or whatever they want to call themselves, will get over this and continue supporting them, hiding them, assisting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

John2136 wrote: »
    They're going to need some kind of spectacular, the provos killed civilians but they were killing more soldiers and policemen than civilians so it was easier to ignore, I don't think the New IRA have killed even one soldier or police man (though I could be wrong)

FFS. Have a word with yourself,please.

Do you really think an even more violent act will win them support? In the face of overwhelming National/Island-wide/International support for a democratic vote on the G.F.A.?

They can fcuk off. Right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Between car bombs, burning down hotels and now this, something needs to be done because Ireland as a whole has had a worrying number of domestic terror attacks in the last year or so.

I remember seeing posters for Saoradh around nutgrove shopping centre in Dublin around the time of the 8th referendum (right as you leave the car park, on the park fence across the street... also across on the south part where you can walk over to aldi), and while I can't recall the particulars the posters had "extremist" written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

listermint wrote: »
    Derry is the correct place and not Londonderry....??

Don't start that stuff. Cheers.

That was an easy 150 thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    That was an easy 150 thanks.

For good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

This was mindless terrorism that claimed a lovely young woman's life, and the apologists can dress it up how they like but it was cold-blooded murder plain and simple.

Nobody in Derry, or anywhere on this island for that matter, wants these knuckledragging idiots. They can take their long-dead "cause" and go to hell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Lavinia wrote: »
    But the fact she got killed has nothing to do with the fact that NI is Ireland (literally) and should not be undr UK anymore

A majority of people living in Northern Ireland want to be part of the UK. So while that's the case, yes, it's should be part of the UK. Your argument to the contrary is completely undemocratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Folks this tragedy just happened. The victims family and loved ones could be reading this thread.

If you want to discuss politics, go to the politics forum.

If you want to express your feelings or opinions on what has happened, do it here: but leave the politics out of it.

This is to serve as a warning with cards to follow for people who can't abide by the above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

What's done is done and what's won is won,and what's lost is lost and gone forever, I can only pray for a bright,brand new day, in the town I loved so well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Amirani wrote: »
    A majority of people living in Ireland want to be part of the UK. So while that's the case, yes, it's should be part of the UK. Your argument to the contrary is completely undemocratic.

I'm guessing you mean northern Ireland? Cause I'm pretty sure the vast majority in Ireland do not want to be part of the UK.

As a moderate unionist I would say it's now a slim majority in NI thanks to Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

As a moderate unionist I would say it's now a slim majority in NI thanks to Brexit.

Frank, please read my mod warning. There will be no further warnings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement