Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman shot & killed in Derry being treated as a terrorist incident MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

NI is worse than the South, how's that?

I'm at a loss to understand what you are talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

kellygop wrote: »
    Not being smart or whatever, but I have tickets for the LOI game in Derry tonight, would it be safe to go?
    Once you get past Finglas on the way up you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Disgraceful that Theresa Gay has chosen to condemn the murder and in the same sentence incorrectly referencing the city where it took place. If you look at Lyra's work, you will see that she always referred to the city as Derry, so fakeunionistionlycareaboutnibecausetheduparekeepingmeinpower May should be respectful or take a leaf out of Boyzone's book...

"You say it best..."

Give fecking over somethings are just more important than if you called the place Derry/Londonderry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,146 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

McCrack wrote: »
    "Ireland unfree shall never be at peace"

Even if we had the much desired by one side, United Ireland, there is the other side who despise such an outcome.
    To me looking in from the South there are some on either side that are best described as "Two cheeks of the same arse".

The very worrying thing is the amount of young ones that actually have no experience of The Troubles and thus have no concept of what a return to the violence would be like.

BTW this is very reason history should always be mandatory subject up to a point in secondary school.

Maybe the complete tribalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

If paramilitaries were involved then they must have expected the victim to have been involved in the sale or distribution of drugs.

She was a journalist, actually. I suppose journalism and anyone who might speak against them is a much greater threat than any drug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

She was a journalist, actually. I suppose journalism and anyone who might speak against them is a much greater threat than any drug.

She wasn't targeted. She was a bystander. There to observe and report.

Reading some of her pieces this morning enforces how tragic it was that someone who was so acutely aware of the damage the violence in the north had done (before and after the GFA) should die in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Disgraceful that Theresa Gay has chosen to condemn the murder and in the same sentence incorrectly referencing the city where it took place. If you look at Lyra's work, you will see that she always referred to the city as Derry, so fakeunionistionlycareaboutnibecausetheduparekeepingmeinpower May should be respectful or take a leaf out of Boyzone's book...

"You say it best..."

She called it Legenderry actually, because she was tired of the same old shite you are droning on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

"You say it best..."

Honestly, the changing of Theresa's surname to something which you obviously think is derisory says everything about you.

Particularly on a thread about a young lady who happened to be gay being tragically killed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sad stuff to wake up to. I hope at least anyone else planning violence in the coming months now will see the awful consequences there are and desist. And that those letting the north slide backwards wake up and get their act together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Haven't a clue what community she is from or that of the scumbag who killed her - just shocked and saddened and disgusted, and very worried now about a return to the dark days. :-/

The scumbag who killed her was a republican.
    This comment is absolutely outrageous. If you've spent any time in Derry, you would know that they're no better or worse than those in Belfast, Dublin, London, or any other city on these islands.

I base my comments on the feedback and opinions of people from both sides of the community in Northern Ireland; people I trust and respect. I know they are right, as do you.

Everywhere is worse than the south. The south is the gold standard for everything from economic prosperity to moral guidance. They invented LGBT acceptance; fyi! As I said before, I'd chose Belfast over Dublin as a place to raise my children.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Awful news this, I really hope the perpetrators are caught and severely punished.There is no cause anymore, these killers are not like our heroes of 16 who had no choice, they are just scum who cannot be allowed ruin how far we've come as a nation.Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

http://www.thepensivequill.com/2014/08/letter-to-my-14-year-old-self.html?m=0

I’m not sure If the link works. It’s a letter Lyra wrote to 14year old self .
    Gorgeous piece of writing.

May she Rest In Peace and I truly hope the troubles don’t erupt again. It’s just so sad and pointless. A devastating loss of life, no good comes of it. It’s so scary to think the nightmare past could return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Berserker wrote: »
    The scumbag who killed her was a republican.

I base my comments on the feedback and opinions of people from both sides of the community in Northern Ireland; people I trust and respect. I know they are right, as do you.

Everywhere is worse than the south. The south is the gold standard for everything from economic prosperity to moral guidance. They invented LGBT acceptance; fyi! As I said before, I'd chose Belfast over Dublin as a place to raise my children.
    Is this really the place for schoolyard "my place is better than yours naana n'naana" bollox? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lawred2 wrote: »
    The leader of Saoradh was in the Dail? Find that hard to believe. Do you have a link?

?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Give fecking over somethings are just more important than if you called the place Derry/Londonderry

Particularly when Lyra often referred to it as “Legenderry”.

Edit.
    Sorry, didn’t see your post Sheep’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Are these riots in Derry a normal and regular occurrence?
    Who are rioting?
    What are they rioting about?

Excuse my ignorance but I thought we were done with all this stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Who are rioting?

The PSNI were carrying out raids in the area which set off the rioters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Who are rioting?

Semi-regular i guess,
    Young "republicans"

There was a PSNI search carried out on a Saoradh members house ahead of their annual easter parade (it's a hate parade, the type that would be manned by armed masked men) Saoradh did not think these raids were warranted as they would not have guns for the police to find... in order to express their distaste at this - they brought out their guns.

And they decided to shoot indiscriminately up a road towards some police vehicles, where they shot and murdered an innocent journalist.

There is no place for these horrible backward bastards in society, and if they think this is how they will achieve a united ireland they have another fucking thing coming. and this is coming from someone with strong nationalistic tendencies.

RIP Lyra McKee :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Putting a face to the name. Witty woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

For all their lofty words both the two largest political parties in NI cannot get their act together and get that damn assembly running and the DUP and Tories have been seriously discussing carving up the Good Friday Agreement and wallowing in deeply toxic identity politics, jingoism and hatred.

Having Stormont in suspension since the dawn of Brexit is absolutely irresponsible, dangerous and craven politics. They should be hanging their heads in shame today and reflecting on their own political shortsightedness.

This is a stark reminder of how NI is not a normal place and what a political vacuum can reawaken.

Read some of Lyra McKee's work. She was a very intelligent person, a deep thinker and a real journalist.

It's such a waste of life.

RIP Lyra and my sincere condolences to her family, friends and all those who loved and knew her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Semi-regular i guess,
    Young "republicans"

There was a PSNI search carried out on a Saoradh members house ahead of their annual easter parade (it's a hate parade, the type that would be manned by armed masked men) Saoradh did not think these raids were warranted as they would not have guns for the police to find... in order to express their distaste at this - they brought out their guns.

And they decided to shoot indiscriminately up a road towards some police vehicles, where they shot and murdered an innocent journalist.

There is no place for these horrible backward bastards in society, and if they think this is how they will achieve a united ireland they have another fucking thing coming. and this is coming from someone with strong nationalistic tendencies.

RIP Lyra McKee :(

Hate parade? Nothing but love at any Easter parade I've been at. Maybe you should come and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

lawred2 wrote: »
    pathetic weasel words

Copied and pasted from forty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

'Saoradh ' ? ... Is this the Gaelic for 'Sarah' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Who are rioting?

No, the police are raiding the homes of these people, who are up to no good and these lads do not believe that they should be subject to the law of the land, just like the rest of the "good republicans" out there. Problems ensue in the locality as a result of the raids.
    Hoboo wrote: »
    Hate parade? Nothing but love at any Easter parade I've been at. Maybe you should come and see.

Yeah, nothing but love at republican parades and celebrations in that part of NI.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2018/0816/985542-ulster-bonfire/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

boardise wrote: »
    'Saoradh ' ? ... Is this the Gaelic for 'Sarah' ?

No that would be Sorcha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Anteayer wrote: »
    For all their lofty words both the two largest political parties in NI cannot get their act together and get that damn assembly running

This is one of the biggest issues as displayed above - 'both sides are as bad as each other'. They're not.

We should be condemning those who never wanted the GFA, are trying to undermine it, and are trying to keep the north in Seventeenth Century.

Who might that be? The DUP. Let's call a spade a spade here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The PSNI were carrying out raids in the area which set off the rioters.

These people either believe in the peace agreement that the vast majority of us voted for and the law of the land or they don't. If they do, they've no business rioting. If they don't, they've no place on this island.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Berserker wrote: »
    Yeah, nothing but love at republican parades and celebration in that part of NI.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2018/0816/985542-ulster-bonfire/

In fairness, they did state easter parade, and that has nothing to do with the easter parade.

But both sides still do this horrible ****, too much finger pointing and not enough owning up to our own bad contributions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

BarryD2 wrote: »
    These people either believe in the peace agreement that the vast majority of us voted for and the law of the land or they don't. If they do, they've no business rioting. If they don't, they've no place on this island.

The rioters were nothing more than a bunch of kids. Kids will be kids, and worse when egged on in a certain direction. Its the people directing these children that are the problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

This is one of the biggest issues as displayed above - 'both sides are as bad as each other'. They're not.

Remind me again - but who walked away from the NI Assembly? I've no love at all for the DUP but one is as bad as the other. At least that's the way most citizens of this Republic would view it, as far as I hear & see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement