Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman shot & killed in Derry being treated as a terrorist incident MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Is it just me or are the majority of mods on this website far to heavy handed?

Nothing wrong with open discourse. Censorship suppresses diversity.

Can't tell if it's bad policy or power trip stuff tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Berserker wrote: »

Yeah, nothing but love at republican parades and celebrations in that part of NI.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2018/0816/985542-ulster-bonfire/

That's a bonfire. In August.

I'm guessing you like a 'parade' in July though. That's a proper hate parade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

I think the message is that one's political views don't matter in this situation, and politics in general are irrelevant. This is a tragedy that has affected everyone. The woman transcended all divides and touched hearts of everyone regardless of their beliefs and views.

Discussing politics in regards to her and her untimely death kinda underestimates all that. Just my take.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Infernum wrote: »
    I think the message is that one's political views don't matter in this situation, and politics in general is irrelevant. This is a tragedy that has affected everyone. The woman transcended all divides and touched hearts of everyone regardless of their beliefs and views.

Discussing politics in regards to her and her untimely death kinda underestimates all that. Just my take.

Aye I can see where that is coming from and it does make sense. But truthfully politics religion and sectarianism is part of everyday life in ni. It's pretty impossible to talk about us without involving politics tbh.

Especially given the circumstances of this poor woman's death. It's a direct result of political opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Aye I can see where that is coming from and it does make sense. But truthfully politics religion and sectarianism is part of everyday life in ni. It's pretty impossible to talk about us without involving politics tbh.

Especially given the circumstances of this poor woman's death.

That's true, but I think for now the main focus should be on who the woman was. It's a time of national mourning and that's what should be at the heart of discussion of recent events.

• Advertisement

I see that two teenagers have been arrested in connection with the shooting. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-47996258

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Especially given the circumstances of this poor woman's death. It's a direct result of political opinions.

Mod

So head to the politics forum. As per the warning. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

bob mcbob wrote: »
    This is the kind of relativism the Trump would be proud of.

Hey a young woman has just been killed because some scumbag showing how big a man he was decided to "protect his community" by shooting a gun around a corner.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-47989468/lyra-mckee-police-release-cctv-footage

But that should not detract from the real issue - that NI should not be part of the UK. Even although there is an agreed (and democratic) process for this to happen.
    sure you can close your eyes and say yup everything just fine here.

how then this happened at all i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I know exactly what it means, i was just curious as to your interpretation but then thats typical of the like of you who fire out 1169 blah blah blah
    so you acttully have nothing to say.

should i now take the same approach and write - oh so typical of the likes of you

very mature conversation indeed.

:yawn:

Lavinia wrote:
    should i now take the same approach and write - oh so typical of the likes of you

Mod

That's essentially what you have done actually.

Both of ye stop bickering. Add to the discussion or don't post.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Is it absolutely certain that the journalist wasn’t targeted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

TomasMacR wrote: »

If it were, given the distance involved with a handgun he'd be a candidate for the olympics. So, highly doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Depends on your definition of "targeted".
    The individual who was killed, no.
    The group of police and journalists, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Just a pity that I didn't hear of this woman when she was alive.read her stuff and listened to her Ted talk and she seemed like an excellent journalist

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Picture taken from the vigil last night held in Derry for Lyra.

If it puts a lid on the escalation of violence up there, well then that might be the one and only good thing to come from her death.

ULSTER%20Un%2084%202.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,061 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Not if reports from people beside her that the bullet bounced off a jeep before hitting here are accurate in such a situation

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Absolutely categorically certain.

If you have seen any of the videos of the area at the time of the incident you'll see it was likely that what was targeted was the jeep and unfortunately she was hit by chance.

I suspect that the perpetrator had zero desire to actually kill someone but yet, they did so.*

*I'm not saying this in any way whatsoever excuses their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

the DUP will not allow it to progress. It is ironic that this victim is one that would not be recognised or given all her rights because of the continued behaviour of the DUP.

This is just weird even from you. So Irish republicans are now protecting lgbt rights by murdering them.

The DUP are against gay marriage. Wrong imo but that’s their and many others views on the matter. How you seriously managed to try and deflect the fact that Irish republicans have just murdered some wee girl in Londondoire is mind blowing.

Republicans have a bloodlust let’s face it. This is just but one more example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I suspect that the perpetrator had zero desire to actually kill someone but yet, they did so.*

*I'm not saying this in any way whatsoever excuses their behaviour.
    If you have no desire to kill anyone, don't fire live rounds at a group of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

ULSTER%20Un%2084%202.jpg

Looks like they are both in the orange order now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

NIMAN wrote: »
    But why wouldn't it cause revulsion from even the most hardened republican?

A 29yr old innocent civilian was shot dead on the streets of Derry. If you don't find it repulsive, then there is something wrong with you.

The problem is, the people who support the New IRA or whatever they want to call themselves, will get over this and continue supporting them, hiding them, assisting them.

Of course i find it repulsive, i think you misunderstood my post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Lavinia wrote: »
    so you acttully have nothing to say.

very mature conversation indeed.

:yawn:

wtf are you on about, i simply asked you what you mean by 'occupation', you cant or wont answer that, fair enough, that says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Absolutely not, saw the video of the guy pulling the trigger. He's shooting through a fence, in the dark. I'd imagine aiming at the van she was beside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Hoboo wrote: »
    Absolutely not, saw the video of the guy pulling the trigger. He's shooting through a fence, in the dark. I'd imagine aiming at the van she was beside.

Was the footage of her standing in a crowd from just before she was shot? If it was she was desperately unlucky. Apparently the bullet hit the van and then she was struck by the ricochet

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John2136

Hundred percent

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John2136

If someone says something they don't like the mod probably spends an hour looking through the community guidelines for a reason to give them a warning.

Mod

Issues with moderation do not belong on thread.

Please stop clogging up the thread for people who actually want to talk about the issue at hand (political aspect aside of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

maps of the shooting https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2019/04/19/an-open-source-survey-of-the-shooting-of-lyra-mckee/ who were they shooting at? the gun men seemed to be very close to the two psni vans? were thre psni standing outside the third vehicle behind ? vehicles could the gun men not see all the bystanders standing round right next to them ?

there a whole crowd of bystanders standing in the street with a psni landrover behind them and this guy fires at them ???? https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/witness-lyra-mckee-murder-recalls-14436029

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

And hopeful people who will identify him & give evidence in Court

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Infernum wrote: »
    This was mindless terrorism that claimed a lovely young woman's life

Friends, family, loved ones and the city of Derry has my heartfelt condolences.

One thing, it didn't look mindless. It looked well planned and well organised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement