Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman shot & killed in Derry being treated as a terrorist incident MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

thomil wrote: »
    Dream on! Those lowlifes have no moral compass. They're not interested in how the world sees them, they're in it for the violence. In a way, the situation is similar to the Mexican drug cartels. With the leadership behind bars, dead, mellowed, or otherwise out of the picture, the second echelon have taken over, the enforcers, the thugs, the ones who don't care about the "business" but just love the brutality. And all the outcries in the world won't put a stop to these atrocities, these people only understand one language.

Quite a chilling post. But not too far wrong either IMO. The scrote element was always there and has now been re awakened. God help us all now. If God exists that is.
    God does exist. Relax !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

God does exist. Relax !

If there is a God, none of this would be happening. We would all be living in Nirvana, which is also a ridiculous concept :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The absolute state of that rabble marching down O'Connell St like they've just filled their nappies. If we must allow them march let them at it but I wouldn't stop the traffic for them, let them dodge all the buses the knuckle dragging twats.

A national embarrassment that was today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

.G. wrote: »
    The absolute state of that rabble marching down O'Connell St like they've just filled their nappies. If we must allow them march let them at it but I wouldn't stop the traffic for them, let them dodge all the buses the knuckle dragging twats.

A national embarrassment that was today.[/quote

aparently they have unfinished business from 1916....

Gonna do a nik nak on arlene fosters door or put a stink bomb in her letter box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

If a PSNI officer had been killed, there would not have been anything like the outcry that ensued

A PSNI officer is still someones son, daughter, partner, parent or whatever. All human life is valuable. In some countries eg the United States, is not the murder of a police officer on or off-duty taken most seriously and thought of a direct attack on the crime-fighting ability of the state? There it is thought that the road towards a lawless society becomes complete when there is absolutely no respect for the state by ordinary citizens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Different rules? Is that tongue in cheek? They’ve an entire regulatory body called the parades commission set up as part of the GFA to deal with the nonsense they get up to up in their ‘parades’.

No its not tongue in cheek.

I know all about the parades commission - thats why I said that the North would have different rules on parades taking place.

Hopefully these murdering thugs will get back in their box now.

So sad for that woman and her family, partner and circle. RIP.

He intended to kill somebody, just because some are trying to make out it was the "wrong" somebody (the cúnt fired into a crowd of people ffs) doesn't make it not murder and not premeditated.

I hear you, I'm not arguing against the general consensus here. I would agree with the perpetrators doing 30 or 35 years for this, with no parole.

But unfortunately the law is the law, and I would say that any good barrister would have this guy charged with manslaughter rather than murder.

Them's the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Unfortunately, they are allowed "peaceful" marches, under human rights laws. No permission is required when less than 5000 people march, according to what I have read. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Personally, I'd prefer this particular group didn't march, but preventing them would set a nasty precedent for other, more acceptable group marches, and would also give them an excuse to play the victim, and possibly gather more followers, so, on that basis, as distasteful as I find it, I'm willing to tolerate it, - grudgingly.
    yes they prefer to use the opportunity to gather identification on people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Discodog wrote: »
    Surely there is incitement as an offence.

Maybe the Guards are happy for them to come out into the open & be filmed & identified.
    this sort of thing is an open goal for the guards to identify the people involved. I can guarantee that even our police force is on top of this.

• Advertisement

With any luck, a feud within these new groups will begin and they'll wipe a lot of each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

NIMAN wrote: »
    With any luck, a feud within these new groups will begin and they'll wipe a lot of each other out.

They aren't 'new' though and have been around in one form or another since the GFA.

Crossfire is the problem though. Innocents will be killed, just like the lady on Thursday.

There is no solution, some people are just rabid about the cause, or are just feral criminals anyway.

I hope there will be no repetition of this. May that woman RIP.

There is absolutely no justification for it from any quarter. Ever now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Probably not going to happen. This group seems to be based primarily in the north, while the previous groups had members in Dublin, Dundalk and Limerick. With little else to do with their time down here they fought amongst themselves to keep them occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how active are they down here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

how active are they down here?

Not very active as judged by this

march-7-630x260.jpg

They look like they'd be a lot of use in a real war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

They look like they'd be a lot of use in a real war.

They must have no self awareness wahtsoever. I'd be shamed going around like that!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm pretty shocked at that march of dissident republican terrorists right down O'Connell Street yesterday. It's an utter disgrace and a direct affront to the partner and family of Lyra McKee.

I really fear that we might be witnessing a re-kindling of the Troubles. I sincerely hope not but the omens are not good. Another consequence of the madness that is Brexit and the prospect of a hard border. It is causing the simmering sectarian hatreds to come out of the woodwork.

Let Lyra McKee's senseless death not be in vain.

Sadly what we have to put up with to have an open society with free democracy.

I would say many people standing about watching would not have even make the connection with the march and what happened in Derry.

I think they would, Niman, but we can agree to differ on that.
    I wonder how the Parades Commission works in the north if that applies.

I think we all know the parades commission was set up to deal with contentious parades as part of the GFA.
    It's hard to know, from this side of the border, how neutral their decision making is. I've read several comments today, on social media and newspaper comments, where some people seem angry that the Easter Rising commemoration wasn't allowed to go ahead. Without knowing whether this was something most people in the area wanted, as opposed to the likes of what matched in O Connell St., it's very hard to make any kind of informed judgement on how such a march might have gone.

But, it's certainly something that needs to be looked at for next year, if theres a popular demand for it.
    I'd hazard a guess NIMAN is all too aware of that but the question is if parading/marching is a right then how does the Parades Commission prevent marching?

Also, I'm wondering if we could have prevented today's march in Dublin by doing something similar to what the Parades commission does.

I don't know the answer to that, but wouldn't it be a wonderful gesture if the two communities could get together, and arrange a March celebrating the peace that the GFA has brought? Marches in the North are often contentious, because they celebrate only one tradition.
    Maybe it's time to celebrate a shared tradition, - one that firmly renounces the violence?

Or, am I dreaming?

• Advertisement

lochlach, it would be amazing to see such a march, but unlikely to happen.

Those pictures of O'Connell Street are mad.. Never expected to see something like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭veronymus

He intended to kill somebody, just because some are trying to make out it was the "wrong" somebody (the cúnt fired into a crowd of people ffs) doesn't make it not murder and not premeditated.

Premeditation is not a prerequisite for a murder charge in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Hoboo

zapitastas wrote: »
    Was the footage of her standing in a crowd from just before she was shot? If it was she was desperately unlucky. Apparently the bullet hit the van and then she was struck by the ricochet

I saw two videos. One of the guy shooting through railings, you could then hear screams in the distance. Other one was of 5-10.seconds after she was shot taken by someone right beside the police van. No way was it targeted, just a random shot in the darkness. Wrong place wrong time. Poor girl. If it was a direct aim and hit I don't know, the shooter didn't seem like a marksman.....with a handgun. Riot away but shooting into a crowd, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭malinheader

Those pictures of O'Connell Street are mad.. Never expected to see something like that again.

Great advertisement for tourists at Easter.
    Is it just me or do the ones marching come across as a kind of oddball looking bunch.

zapitastas wrote: »
    Was the footage of her standing in a crowd from just before she was shot? If it was she was desperately unlucky. Apparently the bullet hit the van and then she was struck by the ricochet

No, I think quite a few minutes at least passed before the shooting took place.

The large crowd in front of her in that photo dispersed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

.G. wrote: »

A national embarrassment that was today.

One lad had a pair of tits. Hardly anything remotely resembling a 'soldier'... Man boys in fancy dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

lawred2 wrote: »
    One lad had a pair of tits. Hardly anything remotely resembling a 'soldier'... Man boys in fancy dress.

Is that not a young woman in the photo??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭malinheader

Hard to tell. You would need to do the crocodile Dundee move to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Either way.. poor specimen of humanity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement