Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman shot & killed in Derry being treated as a terrorist incident MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

Condolences to her family, partner and friends.

It was a horrendous thing to happen.

I'm as interested in seeing a United Ireland in my lifetime as anyone - but there is a process in place for this.

I didn't condone the murders of Bloody Sunday marchers. I didn't condone the Omagh bombings. I don't condone the murder of this young lady, either. It is absolutely appalling.

RIP Lyra. You should not have died. You were an inspiration in life, and coincidentally, in death, you remain one, in the sense that you have united Nationalist and Unionist alike in condemnation of those responsible for
    yet another senseless death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Awfull tragedy..
    <snip>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Pter wrote: »
    Mod

So head to the politics forum. As per the warning. Simples.

Dear Frank Castle,

You have been warned for posting Backseat Moderation.

Proving my point about the ridiculously heavy handed moderation on this website tbh...

Doesn't make sense for the main discussion boards in the country to be run in such a way.

It's a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Everyone else seems to get the distinction Frank. But as I have said, it's not up for discussion here.

Don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Feeling pretty annoyed with this. Don't know why these people are allowed march down our main street particularly given the circumstances.

https://twitter.com/NI_ALLO/status/1119619541196267520

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Feeling pretty annoyed with this. Don't know why these people are allowed march down our main street particularly given the circumstances.

Surely there is incitement as an offence.

Maybe the Guards are happy for them to come out into the open & be filmed & identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Is it absolutely certain that the journalist wasn’t targeted?

Yes. The only person suggesting otherwise is that lunatic Gemma O'Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Yes. The only person suggesting otherwise is that lunatic Gemma O'Doherty.

Everyone down that end of the road was deliberately targeted. It could of been any number of innocent people

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Bunch of scrotes and I imagine their combined IQ wouldn't hit four figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

WTF was going on there. Is this real? Were these lads actually parading down the city centre of Dublin wearing paramilitary gear and dark glasses? On the weekend that's in it, following the events of last week?

If it's true, we really need to get a good firm grip on ourselves and stop this in it's tracks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm wondering if the 2 teenagers they have lifted for questioning are the 2 were see in the videos firing the gun and then lifting the spent cases?

From past experience, the police often lift people soon after an incident like this to:

1) show the public they are on top of the situation
    2) try to get a scared youth to squeal on the real perpetrators

I would love it if they have actually got the 2 scumbags we all seen in the video.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Discodog wrote: »
    Everyone down that end of the road was deliberately targeted. It could of been any number of innocent people

Jesus, enough already. That point has been made several times. It is quite clear what I was asking, let me rephrase just in case...was the individual journalist Lyra McKee targeted, is that ok? And it has been answered, no she wasn’t. Because, although just as tragic, targeting specific individual journalists is a lot more concerning than a bullet ricocheting off something and hitting someone. Either way, I think the question has been answered anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BarryD2 wrote: »
    WTF was going on there. Is this real?

Apparently. They appeared to have the street closed for them.

Even if the murder had not occurred why are we even allowing that :confused:

Embarrassing for the city to say the least.

Apparently. They appeared to have the street closed for them.

Even if the murder had not occurred why are we even allowing that :confused:

Embarrassing for the city to say the least.

Unfortunately, they are allowed "peaceful" marches, under human rights laws. No permission is required when less than 5000 people march, according to what I have read. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Personally, I'd prefer this particular group didn't march, but preventing them would set a nasty precedent for other, more acceptable group marches, and would also give them an excuse to play the victim, and possibly gather more followers, so, on that basis, as distasteful as I find it, I'm willing to tolerate it, - grudgingly.

Unfortunately, they are allowed "peaceful" marches, under human rights laws. No permission is required when less than 5000 people march, according to what I have read. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Personally, I'd prefer this particular group didn't march, but preventing them would set a nasty precedent for other, more acceptable group marches, and would also give them an excuse to play the victim, and possibly gather more followers, so, on that basis, as distasteful as I find it, I'm willing to tolerate it, - grudgingly.

Sadly what we have to put up with to have an open society with free democracy.

I would say many people standing about watching would not have even make the connection with the march and what happened in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I wonder how the Parades Commission works in the north if that applies.

I'm sure the North must have different parade rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

If a PSNI officer had been killed, there would not have been anything like the outcry that ensued, and furthermore, if they ever catch the gunman, he will probably only be charged with manslaughter.

If a PSNI officer had been killed, there would not have been anything like the outcry that ensued, and furthermore, if they ever catch the gunman, he will probably only be charged with manslaughter.

Agree that anyone ever charged with this killing will not be charged with murder.

Isn't murder premeditated? The gunman did try to murder policemen, but killed a bystander by mistake. That's manslaughter is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is all simmering just below the radar it seems, judging by some comments on here.

What an awful thing to happen to that woman, her partner, her family, and her circle of friends.

But I am very afraid that the cycle of killing and violence is still upheld and justified by some.

Anyway, the reaction of the vast majority is one of disgust. That is very good. Need to build on that very quickly I think now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm sure the North must have different parade rules.

Different rules? Is that tongue in cheek? They’ve an entire regulatory body called the parades commission set up as part of the GFA to deal with the nonsense they get up to up in their ‘parades’.

It really has all opened up now. The simmering pot has boiled over.

Honestly, how anyone could try to justify this killing as a stray bullet meant for others is really beyond me.

NI will never be OK I think. But it was doing alright for the last twenty odd years. What happened to change that? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Different rules? Is that tongue in cheek? They’ve an entire regulatory body called the parades commission set up as part of the GFA to deal with the nonsense they get up to up in their ‘parades’.

I'd hazard a guess NIMAN is all too aware of that but the question is if parading/marching is a right then how does the Parades Commission prevent marching?

Also, I'm wondering if we could have prevented today's march in Dublin by doing something similar to what the Parades commission does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Was a road actually closed for this?

I'm all for allowing them march(for reasons stated previously regarding the impact on legitimate causes by bans), but what right do they have to close a public thoroughfare. Let them go gather in a field somewhere.

It was a murder by scrotes. Feck them, but many support them from the sidelines it seems for reasons they can only try to justify. Awful stuff really now.

May she rest in peace. I reckon she will be an icon for Peace eventually, bless her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

NIMAN wrote: »
    Agree that anyone ever charged with this killing will not be charged with murder.

Isn't murder premeditated? The gunman did try to murder policemen, but killed a bystander by mistake. That's manslaughter is it not?

He intended to kill somebody, just because some are trying to make out it was the "wrong" somebody (the cúnt fired into a crowd of people ffs) doesn't make it not murder and not premeditated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

It was a murder by scrotes. Feck them, but many support them from the sidelines it seems for reasons they can only try to justify. Awful stuff really now.

May she rest in peace. I reckon she will be an icon for Peace eventually, bless her.

And hopefully the worldwide revulsion at this terrible crime will put an end to these tactics in future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

I'd hazard a guess NIMAN is all too aware of that but the question is if parading/marching is a right then how does the Parades Commission prevent marching?

Also, I'm wondering if we could have prevented today's march in Dublin by doing something similar to what the Parades commission does.

Why stop them I watched them it was pitiful & embarrassing. A load of gob****s playing dress up and a load of tourist wondering what the **** was going on. If I was a member of the Irish army is be raging at the sight of these cowards posing as Irish soldiers. Let them march once a year and then **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭thomil

RobMc59 wrote: »
    And hopefully the worldwide revulsion at this terrible crime will put an end to these tactics in future.

Dream on! Those lowlifes have no moral compass. They're not interested in how the world sees them, they're in it for the violence. In a way, the situation is similar to the Mexican drug cartels. With the leadership behind bars, dead, mellowed, or otherwise out of the picture, the second echelon have taken over, the enforcers, the thugs, the ones who don't care about the "business" but just love the brutality. And all the outcries in the world won't put a stop to these atrocities, these people only understand one language.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

thomil wrote: »
    Dream on! Those lowlifes have no moral compass. They're not interested in how the world sees them, they're in it for the violence. In a way, the situation is similar to the Mexican drug cartels. With the leadership behind bars, dead, mellowed, or otherwise out of the picture, the second echelon have taken over, the enforcers, the thugs, the ones who don't care about the "business" but just love the brutality. And all the outcries in the world won't put a stop to these atrocities, these people only understand one language.

Quite a chilling post. But not too far wrong either IMO. The scrote element was always there and has now been re awakened. God help us all now. If God exists that is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement