Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Go on so what research have you carried out that makes you believe the reintroduction of wolves would not have a determential effect on wildlife and livestock. Bearing in mind wolves have no existed in the wilds of this country in nearly 25O years.
    Now here's your chance to prove you are not an idiot parroting what you heard that fool E Ryan say.
    Failing to answer confirms you yourself are the spoofer.

Ignored like any serious challenge or questions to back up some of the stuff being said.

Took me about 2 days to figure out that being an environmentalist all you have to do is take your kids out for a day at the zoo to see the future heroes protest, watch David Attenborough, go for nature walks and holiday at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    It’s basically middle class virtue signalling while maintaining lifestyles that the majority on the planet can only dream of.

nope it's a protest around climate change and environmental issues.

a protest which has people from all walks of life involved.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

nope it's a protest around climate change and environmental issues.

a protest which has people from all walks of life involved.

Lol , do you not think after 3 am you should be in bed resting , lights and wifi, smartphone turned off? If you were asleep you wouldn’t be using energy and you’ll be reducing your carbon footprint. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Lol , do you not think after 3 am you should be in bed resting , lights and wifi, smartphone turned off? If you were asleep you wouldn’t be using energy and you’ll be reducing your carbon footprint. ;-)

no as my footprint is small anyway.
    and i go to bed when i decide to go.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Micky 32 wrote: »
    When they realise they are not getting what they want they will eventually resort to yellow vest tactics, wait until you see.

Other than taxing the working class what exactly do they want?

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So you think it's an acceptable position for us in the developed West to say to underdeveloped countries 'soz guys but because of climate change blah blah ye guys can't have the lifestyle that we enjoy. Do you see a credibility problem here?

No i dont think we can say that. But i dont think we can live the way we do either, its not sustainable. Hopefully we can move towards a cleaner way of living that isnt so obsessed with consumption worldwide and put looking after the earth to the fore in government policies. It sounds like a pipe dream but i cant think how else the planet can be healthy.

cnocbui wrote: »
    That reminds me..

Greta-cobalt.jpg

Hilarious but Greta doesnt have an EV. Only an idiot would think EVs are anything but a red herring. Private car ownership of any kind is something we need to move away from sooner or later, we cant keep designing how we live around everyone having their own massive steel box.

You are talking about pollution. What has that got to do with climate change?. Too many people are getting mixed up between pollution and climate change, do they even understand the differences I wonder. Fair play to you all the same, at least you are doing something to clean-up some polluted areas, but for some odd reason a lot of folk keep talking about cleaning up pollution when their main comments are more associated with climate change - global warming. Both different issues.

As i have already explained twice, pollution and nature are part of the green movement and ER manifesto.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Hilarious but Greta doesnt have an EV. Only an idiot would think EVs are anything but a red herring. Private car ownership of any kind is something we need to move away from sooner or later, we cant keep designing how we live around everyone having their own massive steel box.
    Should there be enough taxis ( at an affordable price ) to meet every ones needs at all times .

I think some city should try this . No privately owned cars inside say the city limits ( or some suitable border )

Could multiple passing taxis be possible now with todays phones . Much cheaper transport for multiple passenger journeys .

The thing is the governments that are playing the Green Tax Game also want all the money they receive from Private Vehicle Ownership .

blinding wrote: »
    Should there be enough taxis ( at an affordable price ) to meet every ones needs at all times .

I think some city should try this . No privately owned cars inside say the city limits ( or some suitable border )

Could multiple passing taxis be possible now with todays phones . Much cheaper transport for multiple passenger journeys .

The thing is the governments that are playing the Green Tax Game also want all the money they receive from Private Vehicle Ownership .

There's a town in canada where the government has subsidised uber for citizens to use as public transport. Sharing schemes are the way forward.

• Advertisement

There's a town in canada where the government has subsidised uber for citizens to use as public transport. Sharing schemes are the way forward.
    Sounds interesting . Hopefully not just one company , Competition is good .

Galway in Ireland should be doing something like this . Disaster traffic wise .

If self driving cars ever work out then a lot of transport problems could be solved Particularly if owning private cars in a City was prohibitively expensive .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

blinding wrote:
    Sounds interesting . Hopefully not just one company , Competition is good .

Uber tends to be loved by libertarians, while it monoplies pre-existing markets, driving competitors out of the market, and by also generally increasing worker insecurities in that market, we need to be extremely careful how we implement changes moving forward, market competition isn't necessarily always good for society or the environment for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

That reminds me..

Greta-cobalt.jpg

How about governments agree that companies cannot avail of child labour and have to pay workers in these countries a living wage. Job done. Make more difference than one person giving up their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Uber are the epitome of everything that's wrong with the growing consumerist society.

🙈🙉🙊

Uber are the epitome of everything that's wrong with the growing consumerist society.

Yes its basically a pyramid scheme. I was just pointing out a gov subsidised kind of car sharing scheme in one city to show that there are other ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Calhoun wrote: »
    Ignored like any serious challenge or questions to back up some of the stuff being said.

Took me about 2 days to figure out that being an environmentalist all you have to do is take your kids out for a day at the zoo to see the future heroes protest, watch David Attenborough, go for nature walks and holiday at home.
    Tbh I didn't expect an answer to my question as I suspect Beech is nothing but a windup merchant.

Yes its basically a pyramid scheme. I was just pointing out a gov subsidised kind of car sharing scheme in one city to show that there are other ways.
    Hows about the government controlled the technology / computer side of Uber and let licensed operators avail of that technology /computer side .

Uber seem to have too much control of this market . A monopoly .

20Cent wrote: »
    How about governments agree that companies cannot avail of child labour and have to pay workers in these countries a living wage. Job done. Make more difference than one person giving up their phone.

What a fantastic idea..
    Why didn't anyone else think of this?

You should tell people..
    I reckon you'd be a shoe in for next years Nobel Peace Prize..

What a fantastic idea..
    Why didn't anyone else think of this?

You should tell people..
    I reckon you'd be a shoe in for next years Nobel Peace Prize..

Thanks.
    I'm sure plenty of people have thought of that. But the political will isn't there to implement such policies. Political will comes from public pressure which is what ER is doing.

no as my footprint is small anyway.
    and i go to bed when i decide to go.

My post was meant for a bit of light heartness but seeing as you mentioned it that your carbon footprint is small it’s still part of a huge footprint. How many people in the world are up late like you and i lights on and on their computers? Adds up to a lot of energy use worldwide

As for the second part of your sentence, exactly!. No one likes to be told what to do when their freedom is threathened. No one will be told when they can and can’t fly or drive especially by ER

• Advertisement

How about a grant for businesses to buy video conferencing equipment or a tax break for reducing business flights. All types of options available.

Thanks.
    I'm sure plenty of people have thought of that. But the political will isn't there to implement such policies. Political will comes from public pressure which is what ER is doing.

People need governments to help them make an ethical consumer choice?

People need governments to help them make an ethical consumer choice?

Sure looks like that doesn't it.

Well basically it makes people like these clowns in ER complete hypocrites tbh. Using products that are known to exploit child labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In that case, the government should just take everyone's money from them and buy the things they think people should have. People are innately irresponsible and selfish and shouldn't be allowed to act with free will.

Well basically it makes people like these clowns in ER complete hypocrites tbh. Using products that are known to exploit child labour.

you ll find all of us are hypocrites at some stage in life, i pride myself in my hypocrisy

In that case, the government should just take everyone's money from them and buy the things they think people should have. People are innately irresponsible and selfish and shouldn't be allowed to act with free will.

free will.....hahaha ffs, no such thing on this planet

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    you ll find all of us are hypocrites at some stage in life, i pride myself in my hypocrisy

It's the pretence they are not hypocrites that I find amusing.

It's the pretence they are not hypocrites that I find amusing.

And this thread is full of them lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Good idea. Think I'll go find some companies making saddles and equestrian clothing and pile in to the max. Returns should be epic.

Advertisement