Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'm nominating you to head the next crack at commercial hydrogen fusion power generation.

On it.

The tiles on your house are solar panels that power the home and car.
    Your phone is charged by the movement of you walking.
    Wind farms out at sea generating electricity.
    More efficient recycling.

Loads of things that can be done if the will is there.

A lot of what we consider normal would amaze people just 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

20Cent wrote: »
    On it.

The tiles on your house are solar panels that power the home and car.
    Your phone is charged by the movement of you walking.
    Wind farms out at sea generating electricity.
    More efficient recycling.

Loads of things that can be done if the will is there.

A lot of what we consider normal would amaze people just 10 years ago.

Do you know what the teensy, weensie, tiny little problem with all that is - apart from you forgetting the insulation conundrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I think it's interesting that this led to more taxes. Incentivising the purchase of new (electric) cars means penalising those who can't afford to buy them. I know several people who never mentioned environmental issues and quickly jumped on the bandwagon when it became fashionable and everyone else was doing it. They've made no apparent lifestyle changes other than one protest ( a photo opportunity, maybe)
    And the London protestors really showed their colours when they went to McDonald's.

I think it's interesting that this led to more taxes. Incentivising the purchase of new (electric) cars means penalising those who can't afford to buy them. I know several people who never mentioned environmental issues and quickly jumped on the bandwagon when it became fashionable and everyone else was doing it. They've made no apparent lifestyle changes other than one protest ( a photo opportunity, maybe)
    And the London protestors really showed their colours when they went to McDonald's.

Tech gets cheaper over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

A bit cheaper. Nobody should be forced to find money to change their vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

A bit cheaper. Nobody should be forced to find money to change their vehicle.

in fairness, forcing them to find the money to change vehicles can't be avoided unless we have serious changes to vehicle manufacturing.
    so vehicles would need to last for decades and parts would need to be supplied, or even an ability for such vehicles to be upgraded.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Use sustainable clean energy sources and offset omissions planting trees and other environmental investments.

Can you tell us how..

-40 foots who deliver vital items for everyday life.

-ovens in bakeries and food factories.

-steam boilers that keep hospitals functioning for operations and sterilization.

-factories that produce vital medicines for everyday cancer treatments.

Are just meant to go zero carbon emissions by 2025?

All of which need natural gas 24/7.

You’re actually having a laugh yeah?

Inconsequential tech sometimes gets cheaper, stuff that actually matters doesn't.

lola85 wrote: »
    Can you tell us how..

-40 foots who deliver vital items for everyday life.

-ovens in bakeries and food factories.

-steam boilers that keep hospitals functioning for operations and sterilization.

-factories that need gas to produce vital medicines for everyday cancer treatments.

Are just meant to go zero carbon emissions by 2025?

You’re actually having a laugh yeah?

If all you see is problems then nothing changes. Humanity can find solutions to all of those.

If all you see is problems then nothing changes. Humanity can find solutions to all of those.

Give it over.

You have no solutions because there is none at the moment.

Everyone knows it.

• Advertisement

Give it over.

Everyone knows it.

Solutions to all those things are available now.

The Harry Potter generation: - magic wands are real, you just have to believe. If you haven't yours yet, it's only because you aren't believing hard enough.

The cheapest things going are your words. If only they were actually worth something, we could use them to buy the ideal future you promise in single short sentences..

Where?

Link?

cnocbui wrote: »
    The Harry Potter generation: - magic wands are real, you just have to believe. If you haven't yours yet, it's only because you aren't believing hard enough.

Electric truck:

Zero emissions factory:
    Apple now globally powered by 100 percent renewable energy
    https://www.apple.com/ie/newsroom/2018/04/apple-now-globally-powered-by-100-percent-renewable-energy/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Electric truck:

Zero emissions factory:
    https://www.apple.com/ie/newsroom/2018/04/apple-now-globally-powered-by-100-percent-renewable-energy/

Now who is going to afford paying for one of those? Not to mention the gigantic food price hike deliveries to pay for those trucks.

Electric truck:

Zero emissions factory:

Oh dear lord.

You are deluded beyond belief.

Oh dear lord.

Not sure why we are bothering to reply on this thread to them, i think i’m going unsub, but rest assured i’ll keep flying and driving....

Oh dear lord.

You said they don't exist.
    I just showed you they do.

Calling me deluded???

Should be charging you for educating you.

Calling me deluded???

Just because something exists doesn’t mean it’s practical, should i charge you for that bit of education?

• Advertisement

Calling me deluded???

But they don’t exist.

Unless you have overhead cables going into every road in the world???

Like housing estates, shopping centres.

Ah jaysus.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Just because something exists doesn’t mean it’s practical, should i charge you for that bit of education?

So backtracking from doesn't exist to it's not practical.
    Ya know what happens in technology as it keeps getting better and better and cheaper.

But they don’t exist.

Unless you have overhead cables going into every road in the world???

Like housing estates, shopping centres.

Ah jaysus.

Zero emissions factories exist.
    Electric trucks aren't beyond human capabilities.
    With some inginuity a lot can be achieved.

So backtracking from doesn't exist to it's not practical.
    Ya know what happens in technology as it keeps getting better and better and cheaper.

Yeah but we are not talking about a smartphone are we? Lol

Zero emissions factories exist.
    Electric trucks aren't beyond human capabilities.
    With some inginuity a lot can be achieved.

So if that is the case why aren’t they readily available?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Give it over.

Everyone knows it.

I'm amazed some of them aren't able to fly on the power of the sanctimonious drivel they spout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

There's some freaks on this thread. You people are demented, you need professional help in my personal opinion. Fruitcakes walking around with no brain in their head.

That's the standard when responding to people who holds a differing opinion to your own.

It's almost become a cliche at this point.

That's the standard when responding to people who holds a differing opinion to your own.

It's almost become a cliche at this point.

When you see videos of the so called ER like one poster posted i can clearly see why the above poster formed his opinion.

It will be interesting to see if the true colours of ER come out when they don’t get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I went there yesterday and spoke with some of the protestors and whilst I was telling one of them how I didn't belief in alot of the scaremongering and the science I was so rudely cursed and swore at by a pyscho middle aged woman in their camp who butted into our conversation and whilst I was advocating renewables.

Whole lot of them are counterproductive for their cause. They wouldn't hear of criciism of China or India as that is racism and it is a mish-mash of degenerates, pot smokers and trendy 20 something feminist women who tweet all day long but are as big a polluter as the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

theguzman wrote: »
    I went there yesterday and spoke with some of the protestors and whilst I was telling one of them how I didn't belief in alot of the scaremongering and the science I was so rudely cursed and swore at by a pyscho middle aged woman in their camp who butted into our conversation and whilst I was advocating renewables.

Whole lot of them are counterproductive for their cause. They wouldn't hear of criciism of China or India as that is racism and it is a mish-mash of degenerates, pot smokers and trendy 20 something feminist women who tweet all day long but are as big a polluter as the rest of us.

Its the kind of set up that attracts nut jobs. Remember the foul mouthed primary school teacher at the Shell to Sea protest. A total embarassment to the local people that had a genuine cause of concern

Advertisement