Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

mgn wrote: »
    The will be telling us next that wolves are now vegetarian, so there safe to be let roam the countryside.

Vegetarian? light weights don't they know Vegan is where it's at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

20Cent wrote: »
    The vast consensus of scientists are nutjobs, paul watson is smart though.
    This is why trump won.

You fail again to understand the wording of my comments. I never said scientists are nut-jobs, you twisted my comments in a strange way, I'm sorry but you are not making any sense. Where in my post did I say that scientists are nut-jobs? I cant find what you are claiming.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Trump won because millions of Americans have been fcuked over by countless governments, both democratic and republican, for decades

Why didn’t he run as an independent

Reps hav fcuked over the “coping classes” for years

Why didn’t he run as an independent

Reps hav fcuked over the “coping classes” for years

Any chance you'll share that extensive research you undertook to confirm reintroducing Wolves to the Irish countryside is a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Taking drugs! Long hair! Different clothes to me!! Get the police to baton charge them at once!!!
    Seriously some of you weirdos belong in the 1950s. Old men yelling at clouds. Do you want everyone in the world to dress and look the same way you do?
    Whether you believe in Global Warming or not, the current model we are operating on can only lead to catastrophe. Expanding and a continually growing consuming economy can't keep going. Something needs to change or we are all f*cked.

Why? The good times are only starting. Soon the robots will do all manual work for us leaving us more time to consume. Never have more people had it so good. Even the people who have it bad, have it pretty good compared to those of a couple of centuries ago.

Thank you capitalism.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Why? The good times are only starting. Soon the robots will do all manual work for us leaving us more time to consume. Never have more people had it so good. Even the people who have it bad, have it pretty good compared to those of a couple of centuries ago.

Thank you capitalism.

Consumption at the current rates comes at a price, I mean if you don't understand why you can't be very bright.

Thank you capitalism.

Consumption at the current rates comes at a price, I mean if you don't understand why you can't be very bright.

Everything comes at a price. That’s capitalism for you.

so would you not like us to conduct ourselves in a way that doesn't cause so much destruction to the natural world? Or do you just not care?

so would you not like us to conduct ourselves in a way that doesn't cause so much destruction to the natural world? Or do you just not care?

The green agenda is to monetise the environment, monetise nature. You know those ads on daytime TV where you can sponsor a snow leopard or restore a kids sight for €3 a month? Even though the snow leopard is cuter I’m going with the kid every time.

Do you think developing nations are going to be happy to exist as they are now and not aspire to what societies in the West have been enjoying for decades.

• Advertisement

Do you think developing nations are going to be happy to exist as they are now and not aspire to what societies in the West have been enjoying for decades.

I don't know, but our own back yard is being destroyed. Look up species decline in Ireland and natural habitats. Or all the fish kills from river spillages. Same all over the world really. I go to beach cleanups in Dublin, but it's pointless really. There's an endless stream of rubbish being f*cked all over our island. And it's just getting worse. How people are ok with this is beyond me, because India and China, or something.
    I give up...

The green agenda is to monetise the environment, monetise nature. You know those ads on daytime TV where you can sponsor a snow leopard or restore a kids sight for €3 a month? Even though the snow leopard is cuter I’m going with the kid every time.

News to me, I know some people working in conservation, they are certainly not in it for the money, they could earn a lot more in other sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I don't know, but our own back yard is being destroyed. Look up species decline in Ireland and natural habitats. Or all the fish kills from river spillages. Same all over the world really. I go to beach cleanups in Dublin, but it's pointless really. There's an endless stream of rubbish being f*cked all over our island. And it's just getting worse. How people are ok with this is beyond me, because India and China, or something.
    I give up...

I was waiting for the “ i haven’t had a bit for months!” ;-), to be fair though i do agree with you about the rubbish etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

I give up...

That’s environmental damage.

Nothing to do with climate change.

lola85 wrote: »
    That’s environmental damage.

Nothing to do with climate change.

Ok but as I said earlier, the mission statement of ER is

"using civil disobedience to compel government action on climate breakdown, biodiversity loss, and the risk of social and ecological collapse"

So environmental damage is part of their agenda. That's my main concern.

I give up...

So you think it's an acceptable position for us in the developed West to say to underdeveloped countries 'soz guys but because of climate change blah blah ye guys can't have the lifestyle that we enjoy. Do you see a credibility problem here?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I suppose none of these people in Extinction Rebellion (Terrible name by the way) buy clothes in Penneys, Dunnes or Tesco scene as they decided to interrupt shoppers just going about there business inn Penneys during the week. I suppose they are too poor to shop in BT as they just went in there to get support and backer but Posh people will not have liked that and they will only have done themselves more harm than good. I Know M&S that is where these people shop sure it is mid range shop you do not need to be not poor or rich just well off to shop there. My point I am making is unless these people are super green living in a zero carbon zero, pollution house a driving a Hydrogen oh wait sorry you can not buy any of them here yet so it would have to be on Electric car which gets charged from Power station which is burning some sort of fuel. Why should I care or believe anything they say? Don' get me wrong I think Electric cars are great and there is some people out there that should not be allowed anywhere near an ICE powered car.
    I think the only reason they are in it is to be in a group. They no doubt all go drinking and get drunk after there protests. I heard the Guards had to pull some of them away from Leinstear House around 12 am last night. My brother said to me today the Guards should have just left them there for the night see how they like that and I agree. Why could they not have joined the Greens and got there points across that way. All they are doing is making things harder for the ordinary hard working person.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

AMKC wrote: »
    So I suppose none of these people in Extinction Rebellion (Terrible name by the way) buy clothes in Penneys, Dunnes or Tesco scene as they decided to interrupt shoppers just going about there business inn Penneys during the week. I suppose they are too poor to shop in BT as they just went in there to get support and backer but Posh people will not have liked that and they will only have done themselves more harm than good. I Know M&S that is where these people shop sure it is mid range shop you do not need to be not poor or rich just well off to shop there. My point I am making is unless these people are super green living in a zero carbon zero, pollution house a driving a Hydrogen oh wait sorry you can not buy any of them here yet so it would have to be on Electric car which gets charged from Power station which is burning some sort of fuel. Why should I care or believe anything they say?

because science is saying it's accurate. and there is no such thing as the perfect, hypocracy free human being.
    Don' get me wrong I think Electric cars are great and there is some people out there that should not be allowed anywhere near an ICE powered car.
    I think the only reason they are in it is to be in a group. They no doubt all go drinking and get drunk after there protests. I heard the Guards had to pull some of them away from Leinstear House around 12 am last night. My brother said to me today the Guards should have just left them there for the night see how they like that and I agree. Why could they not have joined the Greens and got there points across that way. All they are doing is making things harder for the ordinary hard working person.

they are protesting because they care about climate change and environmental issues.
    joining the greens would be pointless as it's a party going nowhere, whereas this protest is working well.
    people often go drinking, and with others, that shouldn't be a shock.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

So I suppose none of these people in Extinction Rebellion (Terrible name by the way) buy clothes in Penneys, Dunnes or Tesco scene as they decided to interrupt shoppers just going about there business inn Penneys during the week. I suppose they are too poor to shop in BT as they just went in there to get support and backer but Posh people will not have liked that and they will only have done themselves more harm than good. I Know M&S that is where these people shop sure it is mid range shop you do not need to be not poor or rich just well off to shop there. My point I am making is unless these people are super green living in a zero carbon zero, pollution house a driving a Hydrogen oh wait sorry you can not buy any of them here yet so it would have to be on Electric car which gets charged from Power station which is burning some sort of fuel. Why should I care or believe anything they say?

because science is saying it's accurate. and there is no such thing as the perfect, hypocracy free human being.
    Don' get me wrong I think Electric cars are great and there is some people out there that should not be allowed anywhere near an ICE powered car.

they are protesting because they care about climate change and environmental issues.
    joining the greens would be pointless as it's a party going nowhere, whereas this protest is working well.
    people often go drinking, and with others, that shouldn't be a shock.

Have you seen their manifesto?

They demand not just net carbon zero, but all greenhouse gases to be net zero by 2025.

Good luck with that. I look forward to your Tiananmen Square protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I give up...

You are talking about pollution. What has that got to do with climate change?. Too many people are getting mixed up between pollution and climate change, do they even understand the differences I wonder. Fair play to you all the same, at least you are doing something to clean-up some polluted areas, but for some odd reason a lot of folk keep talking about cleaning up pollution when their main comments are more associated with climate change - global warming. Both different issues.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

You are talking about pollution. What has that got to do with climate change?. Too many people are getting mixed up between pollution and climate change, do they even understand the differences I wonder. Fair play to you all the same, at least you are doing something to clean-up some polluted areas, but for some odd reason a lot of folk keep talking about cleaning up pollution when their main comments are more associated with climate change - global warming. Both different issues.

Climate change/ever increasing growth in consumption and throwaway culture - two sides of the same coin and both need to be tackled with a degree of urgency not seen in Ireland or any other country to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Had to turn the heating on today for a good bit as the family was cold.

Global warming my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Climate change/ever increasing growth in consumption and throwaway culture - two sides of the same coin and both need to be tackled with a degree of urgency not seen in Ireland or any other country to date.

Let me know when you and the rest are prepared to forego any and all home heating, hot water and eat nothing but cold food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Incel?
    I can safely assume anything you say is not worth taking any notice of.

How I feel when I see lads here using incel regularly.

492811.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

They demand not just net carbon zero, but all greenhouse gases to be net zero by 2025.

so what if that is what they want?
    sure, it won't be achieved in that timeframe, but if a decent chunk is cut then that will be a success.
    Tiananmen Square is irrelevant to ireland or britain, and wherever else these protests are taking place.
    the country of origin is the focus of the protests, china can only be pressured to clean up through international pressure which will be possibly a bi-product.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Del.Monte wrote: »

How do you deal with countries that wish to have the same level of lifestyle as Western countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ok but as I said earlier, the mission statement of ER is

"using civil disobedience to compel government action on climate breakdown, biodiversity loss, and the risk of social and ecological collapse"

So environmental damage is part of their agenda. That's my main concern.

So lawlessness is answer? How about the damage being done to society by a lawless group of people who think intimidation is OK to get what they want?

so what if that is what they want?
    sure, it won't be achieved in that timeframe, but if a decent chunk is cut then that will be a success.
    Tiananmen Square is irrelevant to ireland or britain, and wherever else these protests are taking place.
    the country of origin is the focus of the protests, china can only be pressured to clean up through international pressure which will be possibly a bi-product.

It’s basically middle class virtue signalling while maintaining lifestyles that the majority on the planet can only dream of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It’s basically middle class virtue signalling while maintaining lifestyles that the majority on the planet can only dream of.

That reminds me..

Greta-cobalt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Some idiot was walking with a flag chanting stuff at about 1am here.
    I guess on the was home.

I told him STFU and it worked.

Advertisement