Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dats me wrote: »
    Darthmouth square is not insignificant I think: The Charlemont station is taking some of a garden and then the construction boundary is right up against the boundary of the rest of the gardens in that row of houses - the garden will be returned so the major issue is managing construction disruption and noise - hopefully that's possible

Yeah, I thought that it might be something like that, but didn't fancy going through all the docs again. There's steps that they can take, like sound barriers and such, but to be honest, there's a limit to the amount of disruption mitigation that they can do.

The fact is, it's hard to build a major infrastructure project without some level of disruption.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Dats me wrote: »
    Darthmouth square is not insignificant I think: The Charlemont station is taking some of a garden and then the construction boundary is right up against the boundary of the rest of the gardens in that row of houses - the garden will be returned so the major issue is managing construction disruption and noise - hopefully that's possible

When I was at the public consultation, there was a woman who was asking about her garden which was currently being surveyed and test drilling was going on. I think there are some (parts of) gardens that will not be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

CatInABox wrote: »
    There's a thin, long park at the back of a housing estate, and it's earmarked for the Metrolink route. The entire thing will essentially be removed.

I don't think that it'll be a major problem, as there are similar, larger parks nearby (albeit across the road and into a different estate), plus all of the houses in the estate have their own gardens.
    Just looked at it on Google Maps, calling it a park is a bit of a stretch, more just a lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

Was talking to one of the Metrolink team. He would be a friend of a friend.

Their attitude is that they are pissed off with the green line upgrade not going ahead, but if the current route can commence, then it will inevitably lead to it being completed and more routes.

He mentioned among their team there is great hunger for an sw spur and that there have been discussions around tunnelling continuing on a phased basis to rathmines and out west.

They seem to be hopeful that the green party for all their bull**** around the green line upgrade will need to deliver on public transport and they also mentioned that a directly elected mayor for Dublin could get things moving faster.

Once we get shovels im the ground, it will be interesting what happens moving forward.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

When I was at the public consultation, there was a woman who was asking about her garden which was currently being surveyed and test drilling was going on. I think there are some (parts of) gardens that will not be returned.

I know that they're only artists impressions, but the Charlemont Station drawing suggests that every house will still have an ample garden at the end of the process. If there's permanent land take there, then I'd guess that it'd be a metre or two at most, and most of that seems to be a disused lane way.

https://www.metrolink.ie/assets/downloads/StationsArtistImpressions/MetroLink_Station_ArtistImpressions_Charlemont_A4_0419.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

They seem to be hopeful that the green party for all their bull**** around the green line upgrade will need to deliver on public transport
    Personally I wouldn't have any faith in the Greens given Ryan's contributions so far. Also, the Greens have nothing to deliver on yet, MEPs are fairly meaningless domestically and the green wave has proved to be more of a splash in any case. If it puts the ****s up FG and they realise they must focus on the green agenda and deliver public transport, then the green hype will have served a purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't have any faith in the Greens given Ryan's contributions so far. Also, the Greens have nothing to deliver on yet, MEPs are fairly meaningless domestically and the green wave has proved to be more of a splash in any case. If it puts the ****s up FG and they realise they must focus on the green agenda and deliver public transport, then the green hype will have served a purpose.

The greens have a long way to go to showing they have any green credentials. I’d be hopeful of them in the medium term if they can capitalize on the gains they have made but ultimately they are only in the councils with next to no real power and they’re leader has no credibility. It will be a long time before they can have any chance of bringing in decent policies. The hope has to be that the government now see PT as a vote getter as that’s all they really care about. Hopefully it galvanizes them to steam on with the current metro plan, the greens doing well also hopefully means neither FF or FG will want an election anytime soon which is what this project needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Qrt wrote: »
    Just looked at it on Google Maps, calling it a park is a bit of a stretch, more just a lawn.

To be fair, that estate would barely have enough green space with that stretch to satisfy today’s planning regulations. If it’s removed there’s no green space left in the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Their attitude is that they are pissed off with the green line upgrade not going ahead, but if the current route can commence, then it will inevitably lead to it being completed and more routes.

He mentioned among their team there is great hunger for an sw spur and that there have been discussions around tunnelling continuing on a phased basis to rathmines and out west.

They seem to be hopeful that the green party for all their bull**** around the green line upgrade will need to deliver on public transport and they also mentioned that a directly elected mayor for Dublin could get things moving faster.

Once we get shovels im the ground, it will be interesting what happens moving forward.

I appreciate that this isn't second hand info but I wonder about a few things from this.

If they would like to continuing the tunnelling SW but also want the Green Line extension in the future does that mean we'll have a situation in the future where every second train goes in a separate direction at Charlemont? I'd love more underground routes but ideally not just spurs off the norther underground route.

Also, would people think they will they tunnel down to near Beechwood as planned then reverse the machine a certain distance and then point it SW? Or do it from the point it the tunnel currently terminates?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Personally I wouldn't trust the Green Party at all. They end up shooting themselves in the foot time and time again and end up making the environment worse from their meddling.

But, this popular "green wave" makes me very happy. I suspect the big parties, in particular FG will now scramble to take on more Green initiatives to try and win back some of these votes lost to the Green Party and now know it is a popular vote getter.

I suspect a lot of these transport projects, cycling routes, green ways and EV infrastructure will all get a lot more government support ahead of the General Election and will hopefully continue afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This is it really — it's not about the Green Party themselves, so much as the shifting of the centre leftwards/greenwards. There isn't really any party that's "anti-public transport" as such, but FG/FF have definitely been less interested in it as a vote winning issue, and now suddenly it will rocket to the top of the agenda.

I see a lot of grumbling on the twitters about "don't you remember what happened last time the Greens were in government" and it all spectacularly misses the point (especially so when it's coming from the mouth of Sinn Fein candidates).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

fionnsci wrote: »
    I appreciate that this isn't second hand info but I wonder about a few things from this.

If they would like to continuing the tunnelling SW but also want the Green Line extension in the future does that mean we'll have a situation in the future where every second train goes in a separate direction at Charlemont? I'd love more underground routes but ideally not just spurs off the norther underground route.

Also, would people think they will they tunnel down to near Beechwood as planned then reverse the machine a certain distance and then point it SW? Or do it from the point it the tunnel currently terminates?

The preferred route is to take the tunnel under the GL to a point norh of Beechwood. I do not think that the TBM can be reversed, so it would be dismantled and removed.

If the GL is to be made Metro, then the tunnel will be continued with cut and cover. They are staying under the GL to avoid any disruption to the residents of the area.

I think this is a mistake as it will lead to a long disruption to the GL, and it would be better if they tunneled west of the GL and approach from the west, but south of Beechwood where they can do much of the connection with a live GL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

bk wrote: »
    But, this popular "green wave" makes me very happy. I suspect the big parties, in particular FG will now scramble to take on more Green initiatives to try and win back some of these votes lost to the Green Party and now know it is a popular vote getter.
    This is what I was alluding to above but it is worth pointing out that FG haven't lost votes to the Greens, yet. FG vote remained steady and they increased seats. But yes, I think they will feel they need to be seen to adopt a more green approach which should be a good thing. Hopefully the Greens make gains in the next GE and can be viable coalition partners, if only to ensure Ross doesn't get a ministry again.

The preferred route is to take the tunnel under the GL to a point norh of Beechwood. I do not think that the TBM can be reversed, so it would be dismantled and removed.

If the GL is to be made Metro, then the tunnel will be continued with cut and cover. They are staying under the GL to avoid any disruption to the residents of the area.

I think this is a mistake as it will lead to a long disruption to the GL, and it would be better if they tunneled west of the GL and approach from the west, but south of Beechwood where they can do much of the connection with a live GL.

The TBM will actually be left in the ground, to take it out they'd need to crack open the Green Line. The tunnel will actually be continued some distance past the last station.

It might be possible, in the future, to temporarily seize the gardens on either side of the green line, create new luas tracks in that space, divert the trams onto those lines, and then dig down through the now unused lines in the centre.

Then they could remove the TBM, build the tunnel portal, and connect up the Green Line to the Metro line. Finish off by reinstating the gardens on either side.

It's possible, but unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I’s Say this is more Hope than reality. Realistically, once the contract is out there will not be any scope to change the scope (certainly not once construction has commenced) as to do so would be to write a blank cheque. Even if the money was available, it would be a breach of procurement rules. The thing is all this work is precisely what was not done for Children’s Hospital. Adequate planning now should avoid those problems (although I do agree that termination at Charlemont is stupid and shortsighted).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MetroLinker

Probably no need to post this here as it's on the front page but just in case anybody has missed it:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/dartmouth-square-residents-challenge-metro-enabling-works-1.3917167
    Twenty-three residents of Dartmouth Square in Ranelagh, Dublin, claim “enabling works” for the city’s proposed underground Metro, which will affect their properties, were approved without going through proper planning procedures.

The residents have been given leave by the High Court to seek to quash An Bord Pleanála’s approval for an office redevelopment project at the old Carroll’s building on Grand Parade near their homes.

Probably no need to post this here as it's on the front page but just in case anybody has missed it:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/dartmouth-square-residents-challenge-metro-enabling-works-1.3917167

Tenuous at best.

Enabling works for any Metro project is not the Metro project itself. As has been seen with the enabling works at the Mater for Metro North, they might not be used, and did not "preempt" the course of the eventual Metro.

As to the Environment Impact stuff, we've seen with the Apple Data Centre case that ABP only have to deal with what is put in front of it, and not some possible project that may or may not go ahead.

Hopefully this gets ironed out quickly.

This might have nothing to do with Metrolink and only being used as a wedge to stop the overall development.

That said, the two schemes are tied together - at what point does a developer decide to leave Metrolink behind and start building to the previously approved planning permission, which I presume couldn't be stopped. Could Metrolink get a counter order to stop them?

This might have nothing to do with Metrolink and only being used as a wedge to stop the overall development.

That said, the two schemes are tied together - at what point does a developer decide to leave Metrolink behind and start building to the previously approved planning permission, which I presume couldn't be stopped. Could Metrolink get a counter order to stop them?

Yes, sounds like they're throwing everything at it, and Metrolink is just a handy, topical scapegoat.

The two schemes aren't tied together. ABP has the power to require enabling works to be done for any project at the same time as this building, and if those enabling works are never used, that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

The developer also can't just decide to go back to the original plans, they'd need permission from ABP to do so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Albert College Lawn earlier today. They've been there since last week.

'Preliminary Ground Investigation Works'
    IMG-20190624-131255022-HDR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭cgcsb

In a years time if the NTA are making a railway order application, then the threat of it actually happening can be moved up a notch.

This has since been fast tracked, despite the residents protests that fast tracking was unnecessary.

Construction was due to start in July, so of course it's been fast tracked to November.

See here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

marno21 wrote: »

That story ticks all the boxes, wrong side of the river so brilliantly inaccurate headline and hoving into view is a Green Party councilor to show her green credentials. By that I mean she’s Ryan’s lackey.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭cgcsb

salmocab wrote: »
    That story ticks all the boxes, wrong side of the river so brilliantly inaccurate headline and hoving into view is a Green Party councilor to show her green credentials. By that I mean she’s Ryan’s lackey.

It seems from the article that the save college gate people haven't even read the appendix on the route selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

cgcsb wrote: »
    It seems from the article that the save college gate people haven't even read the appendix on the route selection.

I imagine that they have but it obviously doesn't align with their position.

Its like the people who complain as part of a public consultation that they have not been consulted. They're not stupid, they just know that that sort of whataboutery gains traction.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Its like the people who complain as part of a public consultation that they have not been consulted.

For an individual, things get very complicated once a property becomes a target for a CPO. The public consultation offers only the most basic advice regarding this.

The CPO process is backwards in this country at the moment and needs reform. I believe the Law Reform Commission is looking into this issue but I wouldn't be putting a bet on when they will complete it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

Have they released detailed plans of the parking facilities? If they’re going to be 3000+ parking spaces, that’s a lot of land if it’s all going to be surface parking rather than multi-story...

Advertisement