Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

• 11-04-2019 5:30pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As the other thread is reaching its limit of 10,000 posts, and in light of the announcement of the preferred route, this is the new thread for discussing the Metrolink scheme.

Old thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055849587

This is for discussing the current active plan for a Metro between Swords and Charlemont. Only. Discussion of the planned Metro South connection to the Green Line will be in this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057972047

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Think you made a wee mistake with the two links on the old thread Marno. They both link to this thread

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

salmocab wrote: »
    Think you made a wee mistake with the two links on the old thread Marno. They both link to this thread

They both work ok for me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

marno21 wrote: »
    They both work ok for me :confused:

They both brought me to the same place, had to click on the link above to get the south bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Both going to the same place for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Qrt

Any chance they’ll put a subway at the Ballymun station? It’d be nice to be able to avoid crossing the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Qrt wrote: »
    Any chance they’ll put a subway at the Ballymun station? It’d be nice to be able to avoid crossing the road.

They're actually building a 19km subway from Swords to Charlemont as part of the project!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The term subway is used in the UK, we call them pedestrian underpasses and there used be one in ballymun which was a hotbed of muggings and ASB so probably isn’t a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭prunudo

A meat ball footlong would be handy while you're waiting for the lights to change :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭jd

spacetweek wrote: »
    The term subway is used in the UK, we call them pedestrian underpasses and there used be one in ballymun which was a hotbed of muggings and ASB so probably isn’t a good idea.
    Looks like there will be a de facto one at Northwood up the road. (I think it will be tag on/off without turnstiles)

477620.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

jd wrote: »
    Looks like there will be a de facto one at Northwood up the road. (I think it will be tag on/off without turnstiles)

Haven't looked at the station designs for there, or if they're looking to go barrier free entry, but I'd imagine that even with a barrier in place, there will be enough room for a pedestrian through way there.

I.e. the first level is an open corridor, and if you want to go down to the platforms, then you go through the barrier, otherwise you just go around.

EDIT: Took a look at the Northwood station appendix:
    The Preferred Route proposal is to pull it south of the Retail Park so that it will now sit directly under and at an angle to the junction of the R108 and Northwood Avenue - the Park entrance. This will allow passengers to access the station from either side of the R108 and pedestrians to cross the R108 through the station without having to cross a busy road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭cgcsb

How they work natural light into the stations will be interesting, in that way it'll be quite a unique metro. Is there a link somewhere I missed to station designs or artist impressions?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

spacetweek wrote: »

The best deterent to anti-social behaviour is if it's heavily used and lots of people are around. With a busy Metro station, hotel, shopping centre and housing around there shouldn't be an issue having an underpass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The best deterent to anti-social behaviour is if it's heavily used and lots of people are around. With a busy Metro station, hotel, shopping centre and housing around there shouldn't be an issue having an underpass.

Also a plentiful number of Revenue protection personnel would help, particularly if they go for barrier free access.

While we're on the subject, would be worth considering having a direct tunnel from the Collins Avenue stop direct to the DCU campus?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

While we're on the subject, would be worth considering having a direct tunnel from the Collins Avenue stop direct to the DCU campus?

How far is it?

How far is it?

As the crow flies about 500 metres; walking about 900, although it depends exactly where in the campus you're going. Just seems to be a long about route to get to either main gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The only way to build such a tunnel would be cut and cover. The ability to this implies that there is a clear route all the way, in which case, a surface path would be better in every respect.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The only way to build such a tunnel would be cut and cover. The ability to this implies that there is a clear route all the way, in which case, a surface path would be better in every respect.

Really? Is there no other why to create a pedestrian tunnel in this day and age? It would be a nice feature but probably not worth it if it's too much hassle.

I find the O'Connell st station very interesting how it is integrated into the shopping centre, certainly a great boost for a neglected part of the City, also getting from the airport to a City Centre shopping centre without going outside would be quite the novelty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cgcsb wrote: »
    How they work natural light into the stations will be interesting, in that way it'll be quite a unique metro. Is there a link somewhere I missed to station designs or artist impressions?

The appendix has some rough plans, but they don't seem finalised.

Many seem to include sky lights over the length of top of the station to leave light down.
    Really? Is there no other why to create a pedestrian tunnel in this day and age? It would be a nice feature but probably not worth it if it's too much hassle.

You could possibly mine one out, but would be very expensive, so probably a non runner.
    I find the O'Connell st station very interesting how it is integrated into the shopping centre, certainly a great boost for a neglected part of the City, also getting from the airport to a City Centre shopping centre without going outside would be quite the novelty.

Yes, it will be great. Novel for us, but quiet common with Metros around Europe to be built into shopping centers or even hotels.

• Advertisement

You would be working at a depth to avoid affecting the foundations of houses and with such a small bore, nothing else is feasible.

It would also be great if the OCS station was also accessible from Parnell Street which would make it easier to get to the Rotunda, DIT Bolton Street, future city library, etc. This can easily be facilitated by having a pedestrian route through the new development to Moore Lane.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    It would also be great if the OCS station was also accessible from Parnell Street which would make it easier to get to the Rotunda, DIT Bolton Street, future city library, etc. This can easily be facilitated by having a pedestrian route through the new development to Moore Lane.

Also access to Moore St would be appreciated and I think that will be the case, permeability is important for these developments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭LongboardPro

Does anyone else think there should be more than one entrance to the stations wherever possible? A lot of the stations only have one entry / exit which seems stupid.

Does anyone else think there should be more than one entrance to the stations wherever possible? A lot of the stations only have one entry / exit which seems stupid.

Cost based, I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,012 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cost based, I would think.
    Massive false economy nevertheless. You can effectively increase the catchment area significantly by having multiple exits to street level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

murphaph wrote: »
    Massive false economy nevertheless. You can effectively increase the catchment area significantly by having multiple exits to street level.

There's only arguably 3 stations where that is an important consideration imo - SSG, Tara, and OCS. They should probably make OCS permeable to Moore Street, Tara does have 2 exits, and maybe SSG could do with a south entrance, but it wouldn't add too much in terms of catchment.

Everywhere else, I'd argue it's unnecessary, because they're all suburban stations that you're likely to already to be traveling further to reach anyway, so a couple dozen extra metres isn't going to deter you.

murphaph wrote: »

Well, the extreme would be to have an entrance at each end on the 100 m station box, which would give about 150 m separation. I doubt it would add much except in the centre of town, and in particular SSG, and perhaps OCS.

Tara St is a special case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

I have a question and forgive me if it has already been answered. I love the interchange with the heavy rail lines at Glasnevin idea. I am just wondering will the heavy rail interchange be built before the Metro station? Personally, I think that the IE part could proceed as a stand-alone project and would be a very useful transfer point ever before the Metro reaches it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭prunudo

I would have thought from a fire safety point of view they'd have to have 2 exits.

Advertisement