Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Something people can't quite grasp, this is just a lightweight fight without the weight cut, or at least without as big a weight cut.

Agreed, but Conor's post making it look like he's eyeing up 170 is just daft, this fight weight is for convenience only if they have any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Annd9

The Nal wrote: »
    Exactly. And lost 1 fight and very narrowly won the other. A better fighter - ie not a punchbag like Nate - would've easily stopped Conor in the mid rounds in the 2nd fight.

Pretty sure most other fighters (in and around that weight) would have been out cold well before the mid rounds . Nate has a chin of steel but he put him on his arse 3 times !
    Remind me how many times Masvidal put Nate down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Will McGregor weigh in anywhere near 170? I'm expecting 165 full clothed and a medium size beard

• Registered Users Posts: 37,704 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ricero wrote:
    The goat Khabib calling this fight the minor leagues.
    He is not the Goat, let him beat a decent fighter before you call him that.
    Tony will beat him.
    His comments mean nothing because it's clear he has tried his best to get out of the Tony fight. He tried bringing up Mayweather, then GSP.

Don't be surprised if he gets an injury soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

eagle eye wrote: »
    Tony will beat him.
    His comments mean nothing because it's clear he has tried his best to get out of the Tony fight. He tried bringing up Mayweather, then GSP.

Beat a decent fighter are you for real ? The mans a ****ing nightmare for every 155 and 170 pounder on the roster . Gimme some of what your sniffing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,704 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

akelly02 wrote:
    Beat a decent fighter are you for real ? The mans a ****ing nightmare for every 155 and 170 pounder on the roster . Gimme some of what your sniffing .
    He has never fought anybody at 170, name the top fighter who fought him at 155?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Clue is in the thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

akelly02 wrote: »

I think it's fair to say he hasn't faced the wrestling pedigree like that available in the WW division, for example. Against Colby, Usman, Woodley etc would be intriguing, but never going to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

... No

He goes up to welterweight and he loses.

A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

... No

He goes up to welterweight and he loses.

A lot.

What exactly are you basing this on? The fella literally lost one round in his entire UFC run. He'd be a massive problem for all WW currently in The UFC.

• Advertisement

BigMo1 wrote: »
    What exactly are you basing this on? The fella literally lost one round in his entire UFC run. He'd be a massive problem for all WW currently in The UFC.
    The fact that a lot of the top welterweights have top tier wrestling and would be a lot bigger than him.
    Most of the people he's fought have been afraid of his wrestling, the welterweights wouldn't be as a good few have a strong wrestling base that they added other skills to, like him.

He might win a few fights against the lower ranked lads, but any of the top tier like Woodly, Covington, Usman would murder him.
    He'd be getting smesh, not doing smesh.

The fact that a lot of the top welterweights have top tier wrestling and would be a lot bigger than him.
    Most of the people he's fought have been afraid of his wrestling, the welterweights wouldn't be as a good few have a strong wrestling base that they added other skills to, like him.

He might win a few fights against the lower ranked lads, but any of the top tier like Woodly, Covington, Usman would murder him.
    He'd be getting smesh, not doing smesh.

I'd love to see it though, there's a couple of matchups that I could see Khabib stepping up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

hots wrote: »
    I'd love to see it though, there's a couple of matchups that I could see Khabib stepping up to.

He won't though, early on his UFC career he really struggled with the cut to 155 and nearly killed himself to make it, he had an option to go to 170 but chose to continue killing himself to make 155

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

he hasnt faught any of them but 90% of them wouldnt want to go near him

a certain conor mcgregor, heard of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why does Khabib have to go to 170? He can stay at 155.
    He's a wrecking machine, he has dominated everyone in the division if he does the same to Tony what more can ya say he's the best LW yet.

a certain conor mcgregor, heard of him?

Ah yes but

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

rob316 wrote: »
    He's a wrecking machine, he has dominated everyone in the division if he does the same to Tony what more can ya say he's the best LW yet.

One does not simply be the best lw in the mcgregor thread.

Because people think someone dominant at one weight class can be just as dominant at a higher one, not really understanding why weight classes exist and why some fighters cut so much weight.

Because people think someone dominant at one weight class can be just as dominant at a higher one, not really understanding why weight classes exist and why some fighters cut so much weight.

Its a way to discredit Khabib because McGregor fought twice at WW when he didn't. CM is a LW and not even a big one.

"Ya he beat everyone at 155 but can he go to 170 and do the same?"

Weight classes are there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Tony will beat him.

conor-mcgregor-cam-diaz-loss.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He can absolutely stay at 155 if he wishes. As most fighters do. That’s his best division.
    But at the same time, unless he moves up, people should drop the talk of him beating everyone at 170

McGregor has challenged himself. Khabib has played it safe.

McGregor is still the biggest payday in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Surprise surprise motherf*#£$>s the King is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ufc upping PPV price from 59.99 to 64.99 for this event

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

dave1982 wrote: »
    Ufc upping PPV price from 59.99 to 64.99 for this event

giphy.gif

jesus that's a bit of a joke if true, worst card in a good while, with very little promo, and now a gouge on the price?! This is a hell of a test of the draw power of McGregor now anyway, you'd wonder are the UFC trying for low numbers even for future negotiations? Or just trying to squeeze what they can knowing he might not fight again...

hots wrote: »
    jesus that's a bit of a joke if true, worst card in a good while, with very little promo, and now a gouge on the price?! This is a hell of a test of the draw power of McGregor now anyway, you'd wonder are the UFC trying for low numbers even for future negotiations? Or just trying to squeeze what they can knowing he might not fight again...

My brother asked me for my fight club pre sale code the other day for his mate in Dublin which I gave it to him. Came back to me said his mate didn't need it, someone in Crumlin boxing club sold him 4 for €250 :eek:

If that's true they must be expecting very low sales if McGregor is giving away tickets.

The thing is, how could they have a banging card considering it was literally shoehorned into the calendar

My brother asked me for my fight club pre sale code the other day for his mate in Dublin which I gave it to him. Came back to me said his mate didn't need it, someone in Crumlin boxing club sold him 4 for €250 :eek:

If that's true they must be expecting very low sales if McGregor is giving away tickets.

That's mental, I would still expect the arena to sell out easily though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Anyone know when the press conferences will be for this ?

Advertisement