Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

walshb wrote: »
    I think the whole assault charges and general "thuggish" like behavior that has been so highlighted means that he can't now go on acting all hostile and hyped and in your face staged...People are fed up with it, and he knows it....it's old, stale and classless!

MMA fighters need to just get on with fighting....

Not at all. Bigger more aggressive in the opponents face is what sells fights. Same as the boxing world when the boxers have a shoving match during the presser. This is what gets the heart racing on the lead up to a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,618 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Yeah, didn't he also say he couldn't see any way that Mayweather beats him though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

anyone know if it will be possible to buy the BT sports PPV if u are a virgin media customer
    want to watch the McGregor fight but I know BT and virgin media don't cooperate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

John realising he could be in for a 3 fight payday this year so let's see, talk is cheap and the opponent is not an elite opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Esse85 wrote: »
    John realising he could be in for a 3 fight payday this year so let's see, talk is cheap and the opponent is not an elite opponent.
    What do you class at elite?
    Where would you rank Cowboy in the LW division?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

wonder how much he gets paid by mcgregor per fight
    presume he is worth a few million surely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Bought a reclining couch for my basement a few weeks ago. Furniture store calls yesterday. Delivery booked for...jan 18. Get in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Mellor wrote: »

Amanda Nunez
    Jon Jones
    Henry Cejudo
    Khabib
    Tony
    Usman
    Max
    Stylebender

I'd call these guys/girls elite in their divisions.

I wouldn't call Cowboy elite, and I'd rank him 7th or 8th.

Elite to me is top 2 in the weight category.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

wonder how much he gets paid by mcgregor per fight
    presume he is worth a few million surely

He got a few million for the Mayweather fight alright .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I see Cowboy is doing a documentary on his camp for this fight, available through Prime. Not sure what it would have extra that embedded wouldn't but should be interesting either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Amanda Nunez
    Jon Jones
    Henry Cejudo
    Khabib
    Tony
    Usman
    Max
    Stylebender

I'd call these guys/girls elite in their divisions.

Well by that criteria it was impossible for him to have been matched with an elite opponent given the top two are set to fight already!

Looking at Fergusons record, I can't see anyone on it who would be considered a far better fighter than cerrone (Kevin Lee arguably I guess, but I'm not convinced he'd beat cerrone) Yet I don't think he's ever been accused of soft match-ups. Its funny how perception plays into these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

10th and sliding down fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Macdarack wrote: »
    10th and sliding down fast.

He's 4W's and 6L's in his last 10. that says everything about how finished Cowboy is. His chin is mush, he can't take it to the body. This is a gimmie fight for Mcg if he turns up fit and healthy. I would say he is training better than he has done in a few years. No pictures of him out and about town with his scummy mates, so he's on his best behaviour.

Rent a Quote Kavanagh will say anything to keep his commision coming in. No Coach has ever said "He looks like dog sh1t and hasn't trained properly". Sure Andy Ruiz's Coach said how great he was looking in the gym, then joshua beats him easily and the tune changed, "he turned up 2 months late to camp and trained at 50%".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He's 4W's and 6L's in his last 10. that says everything about how finished Cowboy is. His chin is mush, he can't take it to the body. This is a gimmie fight for Mcg if he turns up fit and healthy. I would say he is training better than he has done in a few years. No pictures of him out and about town with his scummy mates, so he's on his best behaviour.

Rent a Quote Kavanagh will say anything to keep his commision coming in. No Coach has ever said "He looks like dog sh1t and hasn't trained properly". Sure Andy Ruiz's Coach said how great he was looking in the gym, then joshua beats him easily and the tune changed, "he turned up 2 months late to camp and trained at 50%".
    Khabib's oul lad is probably the only honest one at the mo, going by some quotes I've seen from him.

If that’s your definition of elite then fair enough. But I think it’s a bit silly to say that in a given division there are only two elite fighters in the world. Such a narrow definition is useless.

I’d have Conor 5th right now. With Cowboy maybe 7th. So I think it makes sense. Conor didn’t deserve a shot at no.1 (Khabib) or no.2 (Tony), if they are the two your calling elite.

If that’s your definition of elite then fair enough. But I think it’s a bit silly to say that in a given division there are only two elite fighters in the world. Such a narrow definition is useless.

I’d have Conor 5th right now. With Cowboy maybe 7th. So I think it makes sense. Conor didn’t deserve a shot at no.1 (Khabib) or no.2 (Tony), if they are the two your calling elite.

Cowboy right now is comepletely washed up. He maybe in the top 10 but that's because how slim the LW & WW roster is in the UFC. There is young lads coming up that would murder him. TBF to him, he's had alot of wars and over 50 MMA fights. He has way too many fight miles on the clock. If McG is half the fighter he was, he'll do this in a round. No way Cerrone takes his shots.

There is young lads coming up that would murder him. TBF to him, he's had alot of wars and over 50 MMA fights.
    I agree he’s past his best. But I’m not sure what up and coming fighters outside the top 10. Anyone in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,647 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Cowboy to win ,
    I predict this is the last time we see Conor in the UFC,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cowboy will beat him in the 2nd round.

I'm not sure how you can possibly do any sort of pre-match prediction that results in A) Cowboy winning and B) Cowboy winning in the 2nd round.

How does he win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭RoryMac

callaway92 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you can possibly do any sort of pre-match prediction that results in A) Cowboy winning and B) Cowboy winning in the 2nd round.

How does he win?

Cowboy withstands the early onslaught and McGregor gases out in the 2nd/3rd round isn't too far fetched.

I dont think thats how it'll play out myself, I reckon McGregor picks him apart and finishes him in the 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭VW 1

Cowboy was never world class, but above the level of journeyman and provided a stern test for those on the way to title challenges. He's been clearly past it in terms of his body/chin in the past 3-5 fights and I'd imagine he's being given a nice payoff to ride off into th esunset by Uncle Dana.

Glad Conor is getting a tune up fight if he's making another run at Khabib, and this is exactly how it should have been approached last time. Whether he has the discipline to get himself into optimal shape/sharpness for Khabib/Tony, and whether that will be enough to beat either is the real million dollar question.

Diaz was a journeyman..

I'm with you bud, I said it ages ago and I'll say it again,cowboy is a few punches away from murdering his family he should give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭xtal191

Diaz was a journeyman..

And look what he did to Cowboy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Diaz was a journeyman..

Also one of the few opponents bigger than Conor, as Cowboy will be.

xtal191 wrote: »
    And look what he did to Cowboy

And mc gregor

I agree he’s past his best. But I’m not sure what up and coming fighters outside the top 10. Anyone in mind?

I've just looked at the Top 20 at LW and WW in the UFC and I've jsut realised how slim the divinsions are in the UFC. They don't have any youth coming through. I reckon Bellator would nearly be tougher for him to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ush1 wrote: »
    Also one of the few opponents bigger than Conor, as Cowboy will be.

4 inches taller but McGregor has a longer reach. Interesting from that point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,647 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Once the going gets tuff in there Conor will opt out ,
    He's made his money and had to long away to be fighting fit and fighting hard,

If Cowboy survives the first 2 minutes he wins this fight , the young hungry Conor is a thing of the past his glory days are long gone,

Advertisement