Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭xtal191

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Anyone know when the press conferences will be for this ?

Fight week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Can’t see this fight getting anywhere near the numbers of fine young Irish gentlemen travelling over to Vegas as his previous fights. But that’s fine. I see this fight only as the beginning of a 3 fight redemption story for Conor. All that matters is that he wins. Then he can headline a big summer event vs maybe Gatche, Masvidal or Diaz and the buzz will be back. Were he to win that there would be no stopping another crack at the LW belt vs Khabib at end of the year. (Khabib will definitely best Tony much easier than he beat Conor)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He had an exhibition bout against John Joe Nevin tonight in Crumlin Boxing Club. Haven't seen any footage online yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

• Advertisement

Probably touts, loads available on stubhub

• Registered Users Posts: 37,882 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

xtal191 wrote:
    Probably touts, loads available on stubhub
    And what's your point?

eagle eye wrote: »
    And what's your point?

If people reading here are interested in going its still very easy to get tickets at close to face value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Fights confirmed for BT Box Office (as expected)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ASOT wrote: »
    Fights confirmed for BT Box Office (as expected)

my ship is beached for the xmas to scrape the barnacles off the hull but will be ready to set sail in the new year. arrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Any news from the bout with john joe nevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

A lot of sites reporting that the exhibition in Crumlin BC was against John Joe Nevin the Olympic Silver medalist and now pro fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

John_D80 wrote: »
    A lot of sites reporting that the exhibition in Crumlin BC was against John Joe Nevin the Olympic Silver medalist and now pro fighter.

Sure he posted it up himself, cant imagine it was any way spectacular

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It was an exhibition match so I imagine it was just glorified sparring and a bit of showboating.

Im sure there are pictures out there but some media (even Sky sports) are reporting it as pro fighter John Joe Nevin and not the Crumlin BC amateur MW John Joe Nevin.

Two different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Im sure there are pictures out there but some media (even Sky sports) are reporting it as pro fighter John Joe Nevin and not the Crumlin BC amateur MW John Joe Nevin.

Two different people.
    Click-bait titles aren't exactly something new

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Click-bait titles aren't exactly something new

It’s not click bait titles. Sky actually think it was pro John Joe Nevin from Mullingar. Even used pictures of him. And started going on about his Olympic silver medal and Amateur career before going pro and how he is now 14-0.

It’s a completely different fighter that was in the exhibition with Conor McGregor.

I was wondering also when I saw the opponent name, but when I saw the pics of both Nevin and Conor from the fight, I knew it wasn’t the mullingar lad from the olympics.
    Anyways who cares, it’s not as if Conor is making a big deal out of it. The way I saw it reported on his Instagram it was like he was just treating it like part of his training for jan 18th, similar time any spar session be it wrestling, jujutsu, striking or kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CBC have an annual exhibition day every Christmas, it's usually for charity and a bit of craic

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It’s not click bait titles. Sky actually think it was pro John Joe Nevin from Mullingar. Even used pictures of him. And started going on about his Olympic silver medal and Amateur career before going pro and how he is now 14-0.

It's an understandable mistake to be fair.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    It's an understandable mistake to be fair.

Not from the sites that used pictures of the event showing McGregor with a fighter that was clearly not the person they claimed it was.

Sky are brutal in their coverage of MMA and UFC. They only report on Mcgregor and only really started doing that when he was fighting Mayweather. Bisping was a world champ and don’t think he got any coverage from them. Till and Edwards are top contenders and nothing about them.

Tho would like to see sky take over from BT for showing ufc. It’s gone too expensive now to pay for BT sports plus their ppv. Even sky plus ppv for the big events would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

There will always be radio silence from sky on something they don't sell or plan to sell. Why would they note or promote UFC results or fighters if there is no gain?

Similar to when they lost rights to la Liga, Spanish football ceased to exist at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Tho would like to see sky take over from BT for showing ufc. It’s gone too expensive now to pay for BT sports plus their ppv. Even sky plus ppv for the big events would be ok.

It would be even worse PPV wise if sky get the rights. Look at the state of boxing cards that are regularly ppv.

Not from the sites that used pictures of the event showing McGregor with a fighter that was clearly not the person they claimed it was.
    If they had pictures of both John Joes, I'd expect them to notice.
    But I'd forgive overseas journalists for not knowing an obscure local fighter with the same name as an famous pro.
    Especially when when McGregor was sparring with the pro-boxer John Joe recently also

Mellor wrote: »
    If they had pictures of both John Joes, I'd expect them to notice.
    But I'd forgive overseas journalists for not knowing an obscure local fighter with the same name as an famous pro.
    Especially when when McGregor was sparring with the pro-boxer John Joe recently also

Why would they need pictures of both?? Most people wouldn’t recognise John Joe Nevin from Crumlin BC but they’d know right away that he’s not the 14-0 pro who won silver in the olympics.

Irish websites did it as well.

Why would they need pictures of both?? Most people wouldn’t recognise John Joe Nevin from Crumlin BC but they’d know right away that he’s not the 14-0 pro who won silver in the olympics.

Irish websites did it as well.
    If they had pictures on both guys in the one article (I didn't see anythat did). It's a obvious cock up. Any editor should spot it.

But if reports were that Conor boxed John Joe Nevin. I can forgive a random journalist for assuming it was the well know boxer, using a picture of that boxer, and talking about his 14-0 pro record. As I said, it's an easy mistake.

https://twitter.com/johnjoenevin/status/1189906677769875456

• Registered Users Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

He was training this evening.

Seems to be keeping it together for now which is refreshing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Saving the heavy bag for Stephens day?

Advertisement