Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

He looks to have put on an awful lot of muscle, Surely that wont help the cardio issues that is already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

bmcc10 wrote:
    He looks to have put on an awful lot of muscle, Surely that wont help the cardio issues that is already there.
    It certainly won't affect it negatively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

bmcc10 wrote: »

He is at a higher weight is he not? Should he have just grew his hair longer and stood out in the rain to build his weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

bmcc10 wrote: »

He’ll be working on his cardio. It’s not like he’s just going to the gym and pumping weights while not focusing on anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

eagle eye wrote: »

Can't get any worse, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

8 minutes of hell coming Cowboy's way. Cowboy should just invest heavily in dance and pirouetting like Loma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

eagle eye wrote: »

Why do you say certainly? Adding muscle isn't a guarantee of improved cardio,Joe Rogan swears by the theory of more muscle being heavier to carry hence worse cardio.

8 minutes of hell coming Cowboy's way. Cowboy should just invest heavily in dance and pirouetting like Loma.

Cowboy will beat him in the 2nd round.

Joe Rogan swears by the theory of more muscle being heavier to carry hence worse cardio.

Joe can talk a lot of shíte though at times.
    Increase your weight, up your cardio to compensate.
    Not sure Conor can do it all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Why do you say certainly? Adding muscle isn't a guarantee of improved cardio,Joe Rogan swears by the theory of more muscle being heavier to carry hence worse cardio.

Joe Rogan is, famously, a moron. Especially when it comes to anything that even approximates science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I had a bit of a weight lifting phase years ago and what I learned things like muscle growth and cardio fitness is alot to do with genetics. 1 person could do calf muscle exercises, take the same supplements work the same schedule and pile on muscle. Another person it might have no effect.
    Some average people can run a marathon, others who spend the week in the gym just can't.

He's doing wrestling rounds, hitting a bag, sparring, bjj rounds this is all cardio vascular work also. This notion he needs to run himself into the ground on a treadmill to improve his cardio is bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Still Ill

rob316 wrote: »
    I had a bit of a weight lifting phase years ago and what I learned things like muscle growth and cardio fitness is alot to do with genetics. 1 person could do calf muscle exercises, take the same supplements work the same schedule and pile on muscle. Another person it might have no effect.
    Some average people can run a marathon, others who spend the week in the gym just can't.

He's doing wrestling rounds, hitting a bag, sparring, bjj rounds this is all cardio vascular work also. This notion he needs to run himself into the ground on a treadmill to improve his cardio is bollox.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Conor will win by submission and then get promoted to black belt by John in the cage afterwards.

I'll be back on the 19th of January :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Conor will win by submission and then get promoted to black belt by John in the cage afterwards.

I'll be back on the 19th of January :pac:

Very interesting post. Has it happened previously that a fighter was awarded a belt in the ring? Does bjj require certain standards and requirements to go to black belt? Honestly do you think a master like JK would go against the Gracie requirements on a world stage and just hand a black belt if it wasn't earned?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

joeguevara wrote: »
    Very interesting post. Has it happened previously that a fighter was awarded a belt in the ring? Does bjj require certain standards and requirements to go to black belt? Honestly do you think a master like JK would go against the Gracie requirements on a world stage and just hand a black belt if it wasn't earned?

Woodley at UFC 228

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Pretty sure JK gave Pedro Carvalho his brown belt after his last fight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Honestly didn't know. Is there a huge difference between achieving a brown than a black belt.

Even more JK is a proper Gracie master. I'm not fully knowledgeable but what I do know is he would never throw belts out. Also a brown to a black is earned more for the effect it has on others than simply because it's popular.

Is it really that important? Especially seeing as Conor will always be a striker than a bjj black belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Honestly didn't know. Is there a huge difference between achieving a brown than a black belt.

Even more JK is a proper Gracie master. I'm not fully knowledgeable but what I do know is he would never throw belts out. Also a brown to a black is earned more for the effect it has on others than simply because it's popular.

Is it really that important? Especially seeing as Conor will always be a striker than a bjj black belt.

McGregor was awarded his brown belt in the ring after beating Dustin Poirier in a fight that contained exactly zero grappling exchanges of any sort. He might have been awarded his black belt there and then if he had engaged poirier in the clinch or on the ground :D

In reality, when a fighter gets awarded a belt in the ring, its most likely that the coach has long ago assessed that the fighter was at the level required for promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Honestly do you think a master like JK would go against the Gracie requirements on a world stage and just hand a black belt if it wasn't earned?

What requirements are you referring to? Why wouldn’t it be earned?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Less than 3 weeks to the fight and its like being in the cinema watching a movie on my own. This place is dead.
    Aestheticly Conor looks good via his Instagram page but that means nothing in combat sports.

Has Cowboy been keeping his head down too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I reckon we may have seen the last of Conor at 155.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Esse85 wrote: »
    Less than 3 weeks to the fight and its like being in the cinema watching a movie on my own. This place is dead.
    Aestheticly Conor looks good via his Instagram page but that means nothing in combat sports.

Has Cowboy been keeping his head down too?

I just put it down to it been Christmas and new year. He is probable doing the whole family thing. 2 weeks out from the fight is plenty to get the hype game going.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,095 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think the whole assault charges and general "thuggish" like behavior that has been so highlighted means that he can't now go on acting all hostile and hyped and in your face staged...People are fed up with it, and he knows it....it's old, stale and classless!

MMA fighters need to just get on with fighting....

walshb wrote: »
    he can't now go on acting all hostile and hyped and in your face

He would get away with most of the way he acted for the first Diaz fight.

Probably just wants to keep his head down and focus on winning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

walshb wrote: »
    I think the whole assault charges and general "thuggish" like behavior that has been so highlighted means that he can't now go on acting all hostile and hyped and in your face staged...People are fed up with it, and he knows it....it's old, stale and classless!

MMA fighters need to just get on with fighting....

I would have thought so myself but they way he was speaking when he was in Russia about Khabib and Dagestan was near as bad as his comments in the lead up to the khabib fight.

I'd expect him to revert to type if this fight goes well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

He doesnt see Cerrone as a threat, probably has a bit of respect for him in the fact that he shows up to fight on short notice. Id imagine thats why there hasnt been much vitriol. There will be a huge love in after the fight(assuming conor wins) and the ufc will go an huge charm offensive with him to get him back onside with the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,767 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but where can I watch this? Is is PPV? Bt sports

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but where can I watch this? Is is PPV? Bt sports

Yes BT Sports Box office or other cheaper ways that involve a computer and internet connection or so I have heard............. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I just put it down to it been Christmas and new year. He is probable doing the whole family thing. 2 weeks out from the fight is plenty to get the hype game going.
    Maybe Khabbib softened his cough ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Where should be looking in the hope of getting a couple of tickets?

Advertisement