Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

The lad is now on twitter talking absolute gobbledegook. Saying the rematch is off and he'll fight someone else instead. The lad is an absolute fool.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1381624066105344000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Wow... What piece of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think this is showing that Conor is embarrassed by this. Great work by Dustin if that's what he's trying to do.

Maybe he should lay off the afternoon cocktails at whatever poolside bar he's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think this is showing that Conor is embarrassed by this. Great work by Dustin if that's what he's trying to do.

Maybe he should lay off the afternoon cocktails at whatever poolside bar he's at.

Basically saying he's stingy :pac: especially when you see the (disgusting) watches and how much they cost. It's a bad PR look that someone as wealthy as McGregor isn't willing to stump up the cash for a good cause.

This could all well be promotional build-up, but Cowboy and Dustin 2 both did over a million buys, it's not necessary for him to get into a spat like this. Does more harm than good I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'You’re ripped you inbred hillbilly. Why do you wink with your ears?'

Can someone translate Crumlinese for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭xtal191

He retweeted and deleted this before his first reply about the donation

jeF6Ee6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Happy hour in the sunshine is a dangerous thing

Dustin's reply is beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

He really is a horrible human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ripped, is he saying Dustin has a better body than him?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

cloudatlas wrote: »
    'You’re ripped you inbred hillbilly. Why do you wink with your ears?'

Can someone translate Crumlinese for me?

He is saying your in bits , talking about his looks ,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Dustin's reply is beautiful!

All that's needed, says so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'd like to donate 500k to absolutely nobody!!!

Literally because its such small cash - I actually think its a badly planned publicity stunt.

Given Conors recent windfall from being bought out of the whiskey, it would be a daft move. It will all be cleared up with conor doubling the amount or some such rubbish in the end.

WOW think of all the good Poirier could do with 2 x $0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

walshb wrote: »
    I'd like to donate 500k to absolutely nobody!!!

Ah that's a good one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

OOH Khabib Retweeted Dustin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

MrStuffins wrote:
    He promised the money and h hasn't paid it. He admits this is by design. Until he pays up, he has reneged.
    Reneging is permanent not temporary.
    MrStuffins wrote:
    When I put money into a Trocaire box, I don't ask the 8 year old kid at my front door to show me a Powerpoint presentation on where the money's going.
    Well maybe you'd be better off finding a better way to give money to charity.
    MrStuffins wrote:
    It's reasonable for him to not want his money to go into someone's pocket, sure. But at this point it looks like an excuse on his part.
    If it turns out that money is being filtered from the charity are you going to come back here saying you were wrong and McGregor was right?
    MrStuffins wrote:
    He would have been better off saying "Sorry Dustin, if that's the case i'll get on it and make sure the money is paid if we are happy with our due dilligence"
    This is about optics which makes me think you don't get that there's a real possibility that it's part of building up a fight.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Reneging is permanent not temporary.

Well it's permanent so far isn't it?

If it turns out that money is being filtered from the charity are you going to come back here saying you were wrong and McGregor was right?

Yes, of course I will. I have no bias either way.
    This is about optics which makes me think you don't get that there's a real possibility that it's part of building up a fight.

Of course it's about optics. And Dustin has played McGregor like a fiddle here.

If they were both in on some sort of orchestrated fight promo here, I doubt McGregor would be sitting on a sun-lounger in Dubai, nine cocktails deep, tweeting stuff about Mardi Gras and Dustin's ears.

So he's probably doing that from his pay from the last Poirier fight.
    so many haters in here just looking to dish McGregor
    I'm sure Conor has some tax liabilities in the US
    here's a real possibility that it's part of building up a fight.

Dude, I get it. You're a Conor fan and you want to defend him. That's sweet! It's your right to be biased if that's what you want.

But at least use one excuse and stick to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Let's just reject the notion that this is some sort of promotion for the fight. That theory falls apart as soon as you scrutinise it for a little bit.

McGregor, more so than any other fighter, understands marketing. Since the very start of his UFC run he has crafted an image of someone who is rich and successful. He spent his first bonus money on a suit because he understood that he should look like the person that he wanted to be as opposed to who he was at that time. As his career progressed and especially after his popularity took a nose dive he has made some very public donations with his money. He's paid for children's operations. He bailed out a failing gym and he even donated PPE to the country last year. Like a lot of the super wealthy he has curated an image of himself as someone who is generous with his money.

There is no way that he would willingly tarnish that particular image by having something as grubby as this come to light. Sure he got arrested for attacking a bus in the past but in a way that added to his image as some kind of rebel. Reneging on an offer to donate money to charity does not fall into that category. It just makes him like cheap and dishonest.

Why didn't he respond to Poirier's request? Who knows but I don't think he thought Poirier would go public with this information. The level of vitriol and venom in those tweets is due to the knowledge that this is something that would hurt his image.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Nice little thing to come out of this today.......

If this gains traction........

Who wants to take my €20 wager that McGregor, after paying the $500k he promised, takes credit for raising more money for Dustin's charity because it was his "due diligence" that lead to random fans having to pick up his slack?

Exactly, there are million ways hype for the fight could be manufactured but there's no way McGregor allowed this to be part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Let's just reject the notion that this is some sort of promotion for the fight. That theory falls apart as soon as you scrutinise it for a little bit.

McGregor, more so than any other fighter, understands marketing. Since the very start of his UFC run he has crafted an image of someone who is rich and successful. He spent his first bonus money on a suit because he understood that he should look like the person that he wanted to be as opposed to who he was at that time. As his career progressed and especially after his popularity took a nose dive he has made some very public donations with his money. He's paid for children's operations. He bailed out a failing gym and he even donated PPE to the country last year. Like a lot of the super wealthy he has curated an image of himself as someone who is generous with his money.

There is no way that he would willingly tarnish that particular image by having something as grubby as this come to light. Sure he got arrested for attacking a bus in the past but in a way that added to his image as some kind of rebel. Reneging on an offer to donate money to charity does not fall into that category. It just makes him like cheap and dishonest.

Why didn't he respond to Poirier's request? Who knows but I don't think he thought Poirier would go public with this information. The level of vitriol and venom in those tweets is due to the knowledge that this is something that would hurt his image.

Don't forget McGregor boxed an oul fella in the head and done a mealy mouthed public apology. He's not as calculated as we might think.

I think he is spiteful and has a fragile ego, he obviously can afford the money but I think he is very bitter in defeat. Same as with Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

MrStuffins wrote:
    Dude, I get it. You're a Conor fan and you want to defend him. That's sweet! It's your right to be biased if that's what you want.
    I'm not a McGregor fan. I'm an MMA fan.
    I used to like McGregor but I didn't like the trash talk he was at for a couple of years. I think it was by design but it was very nasty.
    MrStuffins wrote:
    But at least use one excuse and stick to it!
    I'm the unbiased one here. I don't have a horse in the race. I'll say whatever I wish.
    I'm very skeptical of anything that's been said given they are fighting in a couple of months and building up the hate is a McGregor trick to get loads of idiots buying the fight.

Ush1 wrote: »
    He's not as calculated as we might think.

Yesterday someone insinuated that any criticism of McGregor is not legitimate because those who say something negative about him are only doing so because they're "liberals" or some other sh*te imported from American social politics.

Even this is a stronger argument than "It's all publicity". The "publicity" crowd are highly likely to also be the "that fight was a fix" crowd or who think Dana White is in the ear of judges when their favourite fighter loses

I'm the unbiased one here.

I disagree, but whatever you say Chief!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

I used to like McGregor but I didn't like the trash talk he was at for a couple of years. I think it was by design but it was very nasty.

He's been at the WWE trash talk ****e since he was a slightly above average youth boxer for Crumlin boxing club as a kid. He's never not been at it as a professional MMA fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭xtal191

cloudatlas wrote: »
    OOH Khabib Retweeted Dustin.

Probably his manager

Advertisement