Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

That actually is how charities work. I've been involved with plenty. Large donations aren't just dropped off in a bag and away you go. People want to know their money is being put to good use.

Yah, I've been involved in charities too, I actually worked for a children's charity for a year for free without bragging about it on social media so I know exactly how it works.

Stop defending the indefensible, he was playing the nice guy act in the build up to the Poirier fight being decent and promising donations to this charity because he had been accused of sexual assualt for what, the third time? Amongst many other things.

Poirier humiliated him and the PR exercise was no longer as advantageous as it would have been, on top of this, his ego and pride were severely damaged & he would have looked like a clown amongst his peer group should he have gone ahead with it.

Thats what its all about. Its not due deligence, its not his sharp accountants requirements, its him being a miserable tightarse sore loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

That's all speculation on your end man.

So is all the spin doctoring from his fanboys on here.

Conor publicly declared he was donating 500K to Dustin's charity.

Conor did not make the charity donation as promised.

Conor is a lying piece of ****.

End of Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    You don't do it once you've publicly committed to it. This happens. Conor now looks like an asshole who had no intentions of ever donating.

He should have kept his mouth shut [I know its Conor] had his agents/lawyers due their due diligence on the charity and when it was found to be legit then make the public decree of donating.

It need to line up with the fight to make any sense.
    Don't forget, Conor first proposed a "combat fight" in Dublin with Dustin, all money going to charity. Then that morphed into Conor making a donation in the build up to the UFC fight

So is all the spin doctoring from his fanboys on here.

Conor publicly declared he was donating 500K to Dustin's charity.

Conor did not make the charity donation as promised.

Conor is a lying piece of ****.

End of Story.

Great discourse man.
    My opinion is the right opinion. Conversation over.

Sorry, doesn't work like that.

Yah, I've been involved in charities too, I actually worked for a children's charity for a year for free without bragging about it on social media so I know exactly how it works.

Stop defending the indefensible, he was playing the nice guy act in the build up to the Poirier fight being decent and promising donations to this charity because he had been accused of sexual assualt for what, the third time? Amongst many other things.

Poirier humiliated him and the PR exercise was no longer as advantageous as it would have been, on top of this, his ego and pride were severely damaged & he would have looked like a clown amongst his peer group should he have gone ahead with it.

Thats what its all about. Its not due deligence, its not his sharp accountants requirements, its him being a miserable tightarse sore loser.

Harrassing people on Grafton St doesnt count

• Advertisement

It need to line up with the fight to make any sense.
    Don't forget, Conor first proposed a "combat fight" in Dublin with Dustin, all money going to charity. Then that morphed into Conor making a donation in the build up to the UFC fight

Dude. Just log off for the night. You're not making Conor [or yourself] look good here.

So he used the donation to sell the fight, but had no intention of actually making the donation. What a guy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'm sure he's been burnt many times previously where charities have begged him for money and told him they'll build this and that and as soon as the money is handed over he hears nothing back and the projects never happen and the money disappears.

I don't like the guy at all but he needs facts on what the money is going towards. Its not €50 he's handing over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

fitzparker wrote: »
    1) they all rent....as the saying goes if it drives, flies, floats or f**ks rent it

2) Ask any other sparring person the conditions they live in when they get the call. 90% don't live in the mansion with the fella they spar, they are sent to the digs like the rest. Paulie expected a red carpet

Should the emails have been replied to? 100%.

But I agree with Conor from the aspect of where the money goes, he wants 100% clarity.

The saying doesn’t say drives. It’s flys, floats or fcuks. Illiteration doesn’t work if you add a d into a load of f’s.

Dude. Just log off for the night. You're not making Conor [or yourself] look good here.

So he used the donation to sell the fight, but had no intention of actually making the donation. What a guy. :rolleyes:

You said he should have done all the due diligence before making the announcement. That stuff takes time man. His time to announce it was in the build up the fight. Call it self promotion if you want, but it also gave Dustin's foundation a load of free publicity.
    For all you know he was acting in good faith that Dustin's charity would cross the t's and dot the I's in good time.

You said he should have done all the due diligence before making the announcement. That stuff takes time man. His time to announce it was in the build up the fight. Call it self promotion if you want, but it also gave Dustin's foundation a load of free publicity.
    For all you know he was acting in good faith that Dustin's charity would cross the t's and dot the I's in good time.

You're still not making Conor [or yourself] look good here. Again all his due diligence should have been done before making the announcement.

This is why stuff like this should not be part fight promotions. Now Conor made himself look like a scumbag for not keeping his promise to donate [and for briefly calling off the fight because he was called out over it.]

Conor is a scumbag and that won't change until he actually makes his good on his promise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Esse85 wrote: »
    I'm sure he's been burnt many times previously where charities have begged him for money and told him they'll build this and that and as soon as the money is handed over he hears nothing back and the projects never happen and the money disappears.

I don't like the guy at all but he needs facts on what the money is going towards. Its not €50 he's handing over.

Seriously, the lengths some Mcgregor fans will go to, to defend him every possible way is commendable. Is he paying ye lads? must be

He's not exactly shy on social media or in real life so I think if he was stung by any charity, he wouldn't have been long in making a noise about it.

He was involved in the building of some apartments not far from where I work a number of months ago. Taking pictures outside it consistently making sure everyone knew far and wide what a good soul he was. All to improve his public image because he knows how important that is to his pocket and avoiding a prison sentence he should have already had for his scummy behavior.

Sure wasnt Sean Quinn a great sponsor of local GAA teams, interesting how that worked out and how many Irish citizens are still paying for what he did.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I'm sure he's been burnt many times previously where charities

Conor is on social media more than he's in the gym at this stage. If he was burnt by a charity, business, etc Good Lord that Man would have broadcast ed it to the world by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭hawaii501

How can Dustin tell him his plans if he isn't replying back to him anyway?

He is probably back on the devils dandruff anyway judging by his responses today!! Would love to see Dustin KO him again and end his career for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really not sure if that's a dreadful attempt at drumming up bad blood or someone having ingested too much something.

Either way it's pathetic. Conor used to be a master of trash talk, now it's just unbearable cringe.

I'm not inclined to think it's trying to create a beef considering he's creating a public front of stiffing a charity, that doesn't hold well with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

If you look at Twitter most of the replies are taking the p*ss out of McGregor, whereas previously it was mostly backing him up. Tables are turning.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Alright folks...I let this conversation run on the basis it may affect the next fight while it has nothing to do with MMA and that people could discuss it properly.

But as per usual it's become clear most people can't follow the rules of the forum and discuss things in a grown-up manner along with the influx of people to give their 2 cents who rarely if ever step foot in the forum...so end of discussion on the charity and money, its not MMA talk so has no place here.

There's an off-topic thread for this sort of nonsense, take it there if you wish but I would STRONGLY advise you make yourself aware of the charter if you aren't already as any carry on there will get you a card just as quick as here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Axwell wrote: »
    Alright folks...I let this conversation run on the basis it may affect the next fight while it has nothing to do with MMA and that people could discuss it properly.

But as per usual it's become clear most people can't follow the rules of the forum and discuss things in a grown-up manner along with the influx of people to give their 2 cents who rarely if ever step foot in the forum...so end of discussion on the charity and money, its not MMA talk so has no place here.

There's an off-topic thread for this sort of nonsense, take it there if you wish but I would STRONGLY advise you make yourself aware of the charter if you aren't already as any carry on there will get you a card just as quick as here.

It’s as close to MMA as it can ever get by the looks of things we’re at endgame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I'd like to take this opportunity to donate 500K

TO ABSOLUTELY NOBODY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Is there an echo in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

hots wrote: »
    Is there an echo in this thread?

Lock it up :)

Is there any MMA value in the brand anymore? What can you learn from him MMA wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Tom Egan just tweeted this:
    ""Gets called out for being the sneaky **** he is then bails out. What a baby.''

They defo aren't on good terms

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Who is Tom Egan?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

eagle eye wrote: »
    Who is Tom Egan?

This Tom Egan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_93

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Who is Tom Egan?

He's the reason we have Conor Mcgregor, he got him started in MMA. Was a coach with him on the ultimate fighter. Then had a huge falling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Who is Tom Egan?

The first irishman to fight in the UFC. Former SBG training partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,628 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He's the reason we have Conor Mcgregor, he got him started in MMA. Was a coach with him on the ultimate fighter. Then had a huge falling out.

Any idea why ?

They always seemed quite close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So basically he's a nobody who found a bit of fame because of McGregor?

Advertisement