Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

So glad to see the opinions of so many who donate half a mil randomnly to different charities without doing due diligence.
    The question of what is being done with the funds doesn't mean he suspects the charity of being a scam, but more about ensuring it is put to good use instead of being pissed away on admin costs etc, which is very common in the not for profit world.
    Conor 100% correct to demand full transparency on the use of funds before donating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Looks like Audie was smart enough to tell Conor to put the phone away and let him handle it.

Conor needs more of that and not just on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 54,991 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So glad to see the opinions of so many who donate half a mil randomnly to different charities without doing due diligence.
    The question of what is being done with the funds doesn't mean he suspects the charity of being a scam, but more about ensuring it is put to good use instead of being pissed away on admin costs etc, which is very common in the not for profit world.
    Conor 100% correct to demand full transparency on the use of funds before donating.

If you believe all this...

And I would wonder why Dustin wouldn’t have known all this..

Being all done by the book behind his back.

Something doesn’t add up...

I mean, could it be a convenient excuse?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

2 things
    Poirier said at press conference before fight the donation money had just been paid.
    I cant imagine wanting to donate 500k to someone who just knocked me out and ruined paquiao payday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭xtal191

photo_2021-04-12_19-02-24-jpg.847092

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

He should have done that before he took the plaudits and credit for donating to it in the build up to the fight week dont ya think?

Funny how when he is being asked to pay up, he starts practicing his 'due diligence'. Also, he at least should have had the decency to reply to three attempts made by the Poirier camp in relation to the funds. If he had and asked specifically where the money would be spent, it would be easy to back this up with emails & documentation. Instead he starts acting like a scumbag to distract over his obvious bull****.

He's long been known as a tight arse driving around in high powered cars that he rents and paying his training camp pathetic wages in the build up to important fights. Have a look at what Paulie Malignaggi was saying about the training camp conditions in the build up to the 100m dollar Mayweather fight.

He's a scumbag through and through, every now and then he tries to hide it but it always eventually shines through. I look forward to Poirier f**king up his nose in the next fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Any excuse to pile in, fking nutz

course it's not like he'd have any financial advisors, it's all McGregor's doing ......sat at his paypal refusing to click send :D

He should have done that before he took the plaudits and credit for donating to it in the build up to the fight week dont ya think?

Funny how when he is being asked to pay up, he starts practicing his 'due diligence'. Also, at least have the decency to reply to three attempts made by the Poirier camp in relation to the funds. If he had and asked specifically where the money would be spent, it would be easy to back this up with emails & documentation. Instead he starts acting like a scumbag to distract over his obvious bull****.

He's long been known as a tight arse driving around in high powered cars that he rents and paying his training camp pathetic wages in the build up to important fights. Have a look at what Paulie Malignaggi was saying about the training camp conditions in the build up to the 100m dollar Mayweather fight.

He's a scumbag through and through, every now and then he tries to hide it but it always eventually shines through. I look forward to Poirier f**king up his nose in the next fight.

He should have done that first? It's up to the foundation to show what they plan to do with the funds and they haven't done that.
    It's par for the course man and Audie said he just had a face to face with Dustin!
    Known to be a tightarse who bought loads of PPE, big donations to crumlin soccer, SBG portlaoise, proper 12 gives a portion to first responders in the states, a few cases of conor helping out irish kids with surgeries etc.

Try harder.

walshb wrote: »
    If you believe all this...

And I would wonder why Dustin wouldn’t have known all this..

Being all done by the book behind his back.

Something doesn’t add up...

I mean, could it be a convenient excuse?!

anyone with business sense doesn't just throw half a mil around without some checks and balances. Maybe Dustin and his team aren't familiar with handling major donors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Gsp made some good points about Conor recently
    https://youtu.be/HCHvo1G2qHE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

1) they all rent....as the saying goes if it drives, flies, floats or f**ks rent it

2) Ask any other sparring person the conditions they live in when they get the call. 90% don't live in the mansion with the fella they spar, they are sent to the digs like the rest. Paulie expected a red carpet

Should the emails have been replied to? 100%.

But I agree with Conor from the aspect of where the money goes, he wants 100% clarity.

He should have done that first? It's up to the foundation to show what they plan to do with the funds and they haven't done that.
    It's par for the course man and Audie said he just had a face to face with Dustin!
    Known to be a tightarse who bought loads of PPE, big donations to crumlin soccer, SBG portlaoise, proper 12 gives a portion to first responders in the states, a few cases of conor helping out irish kids with surgeries etc.

Try harder.

Get up the yard will ya, firstly, don't start talking about donating to a charity unless you have done so already. If you have concerns/doubts about donating to that charity in the first place, don't do it and keep your mouth shut. It was a pr exercise and when he got beat badly, he had sour grapes as he usually does due to his narcissism and second thoughts over the whole gesture.

Also, don't give me that nonsense about his charity donations in relation to the various groups/entities you have mentioned. Anyone in business knows that's the best way to improve your brand/image and also potentially write off tax liabilities. And no two ways about it, he certainly needed to improve his image.

Don't be so naive.

Get up the yard will ya, firstly, don't start talking about donating to a charity unless you have done so already. If you have concerns/doubts about donating to that charity in the first place, don't do it and keep your mouth shut. It was a pr exercise and when he got beat badly, he had sour grapes as he usually does due to his narcissism and second thoughts over the whole gesture.

Also, don't give me that nonsense about his charity donations in relation to the various groups/entities you have mentioned. Anyone in business knows that's the best way to improve your brand/image and also potentially write off tax liabilities. And no two ways about it, he certainly needed to improve his image.

Don't be so naive.

The old damned if you, damned if you don't, of charity donations.

The old damned if you, damned if you don't, of charity donations.

No, the old if you really want to give to charity and be decent, keep it to yourself and don't boast about it before you have even done it. Then change your mind & come up with some pathetic excuse like a tightarse for not giving.

He is a textbook narcissist, continually taking photos of himself on social media with his chest puffed out looking for attention but when it gets down to it in a proper fight like any narcissistic coward, he gets a slap and either goes running or hits the deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Pretty clear the face to face they had was nothing to do with the donation.

Poor Audie trying to firefight again as McGregor's true colours come out

No, the old if you really want to give to charity and be decent, keep it to yourself and don't boast about it before you have even done it. Then change your mind & come up with some pathetic excuse like a tightarse for not giving.

He is a textbook narcissist, continually taking photos of himself on social media with his chest puffed out looking for attention but when it gets down to it in a proper fight like any narcissistic coward, he gets a slap and either goes running or hits the deck.

I'm getting a feeling you're not a Conor fan. Not sure why...

RoryMac wrote: »
    Pretty clear the face to face they had was nothing to do with the donation.

Poor Audie trying to firefight again as McGregor's true colours come out

Oh, you were there were you? Did they have the hot sauce with dinner too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

The time for due diligence was BEFORE publicly stating your going to make a half a million donation.

This makes Conor look like he was only after social media ass pats and headline and had no intention of actually making the donation.

I'm getting a feeling you're not a Conor fan. Not sure why...

Hard to see why anyone would be supporting him nowadays. Worth at least a 100 million and due to make another couple of million for fighting Poirier again but getting his nose bent out of shape over 500k to a childrens charity. If he has such reservations about charities in the first place which it seems he does, then don't make promises and get on with things.

Expecting the charity to come up with an exact plan of how they will spend his precious money, that's not how charities work. Circumstances change & needs change especially with a children's charity.

He's an utter gobs**ite. I gave him the benefit of the doubt a few times but today is the last straw. He is an embarrassment to Ireland

• Advertisement

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    The time for due diligence was BEFORE publicly stating your going to make a half a million donation.

This makes Conor look like he was only after social media ass pats and headline and had no intention of actually making the donation.

How do you know he didn't start the process of due diligence?

eagle eye wrote: »
    But you don't know what's going on.
    I don't know either but I'm sure Conor has some tax liabilities in the US and a donation to charity can be written off against taxes so I doubt he is avoiding paying up.

The time for Conor to consider all of that was BEFORE he publicly declared his intention to donate. Not after he got his precious social media ass pats and headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,991 ✭✭✭✭walshb

anyone with business sense doesn't just throw half a mil around without some checks and balances. Maybe Dustin and his team aren't familiar with handling major donors.

But this doesn’t answer why Dustin and the charity seem to be in the dark here

Surely all this information and righteousness and due diligence would have been shared with Dustin and the charity?

No, this smells like Conor getting called out, and now using a few red herring excuses to try explain the no show..

How do you know he didn't start the process of due diligence?

You don't do it once you've publicly committed to it. This happens. Conor now looks like an asshole who had no intentions of ever donating.

He should have kept his mouth shut [I know its Conor] had his agents/lawyers due their due diligence on the charity and when it was found to be legit then make the public decree of donating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

robwen wrote: »

I buy this reasoning tbh and it would be quite normal when passing large amounts of money over to charities that there is high levels of scrutiny

Hard to see why anyone would be supporting him nowadays. Worth at least a 100 million and due to make another couple of million for fighting Poirier again but getting his nose bent out of shape over 500k to a childrens charity. If he has such reservations about charities in the first place which it seems he does, then don't make promises and get on with things.

Expecting the charity to come up with an exact plan of how they will spend his precious money, that's not how charities work. Circumstances change & needs change especially with a children's charity.

He's an utter gobs**ite. I gave him the benefit of the doubt a few times but today is the last straw. He is an embarrassment to Ireland

That actually is how charities work. I've been involved with plenty. Large donations aren't just dropped off in a bag and away you go. People want to know their money is being put to good use.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    You don't do it once you've publicly committed to it. This happens. Conor now looks like an asshole who had no intentions of ever donating.

He should have kept his mouth shut [I know its Conor] had his agents/lawyers due their due diligence on the charity and when it was found to be legit then make the public decree of donating.

That's all speculation on your end man.

I buy this reasoning tbh and it would be quite normal when passing large amounts of money over to charities that there is high levels of scrutiny

Doesn't explain why they've been ignoring Dustin's people since Jan though.

Whatever the excuses are, this looks really bad for Conor and his response hasn't helped him at all.

That's all speculation on your end man.

So let's not speculate.

The facts are this:

Conor promised $500k

He hasn't paid $500k

Everything else is speculation or he said/she said

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    So let's not speculate.

The facts are this: