Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Conor comes across as an ****ty human at times but I can not see him trying to swerve paying a donation to Charity , Its peanuts to him anyway,

I'm sure its mix up , I'd have thought the Dustin would have just got in contact with Conor himself , The whole using twitter for drama is a bit childish .

Literally because its such small cash - I actually think its a badly planned publicity stunt.

Given Conors recent windfall from being bought out of the whiskey, it would be a daft move. It will all be cleared up with conor doubling the amount or some such rubbish in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,158 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

eagle eye wrote: »
    Like the truth will come out, why not wait patiently to see what happens?

Because this is a discussion forum.

The only function of this thread is to talk about Conor McGregor.

Claiming anyone criticising him is a "hater" and complaining about discussion on a discussion forum are worse excuses than Conor's

• Registered Users Posts: 55,095 ✭✭✭✭walshb

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Because this is a discussion forum.

Claiming anyone criticising him is a "hater" and complaining about discussion on a discussion forum are worse excuses than Conor's

Spot on....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

/quote]

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

This is unbelievable, you have so many haters in here just looking to dish McGregor without any proof of anything.
    Like the truth will come out, why not wait patiently to see what happens? Why are you slinging dirt, deciding who you believe when you know sfa about the situation?

Conor agreed to give money to a charity. Conor lost and now after months of him and his team going silent he's practically saying he has no intention of paying. That's not "hating". That's calling Conor for the scumbag move that it was.

• Advertisement

Dustin should call him out, or maybe Conor call Dustin out

"Double or quits" on the rematch.....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mr. Karate wrote:
    Conor agreed to give money to a charity. Conor lost and now after months of him and his team going silent he's practically saying he has no intention of paying. That's not "hating". That's calling Conor for the scumbag move that it was.
    But you don't know what's going on.
    I don't know either but I'm sure Conor has some tax liabilities in the US and a donation to charity can be written off against taxes so I doubt he is avoiding paying up.
    Now if you decide he is this and that with very little information outside the words of an MMA fighter, and considering they are meeting in a couple of months and want to build up the fight, then you either have a hate McGregor agenda or are very gullible.
    I'm not taking either side in this. I haven't a clue what's going on and I'm not willing to take the word if either fighter as gospel considering they're current mode is to promote their fight.

I haven't a clue what's going on ......

But it's not stopping you from throwing around wild assumptions about tax liabilities, the status of his purse for the January fight and all sorts of nonsense.

Bottom line is, McGregor promised to donate $500k to Dustin's charity and has now reneged on it. Dustin has said one thing and Conor has said another. Is one of them mistaken? Are they both mistaken? Are they lying? Who knows?

But from what they have said, it has been established that it's not an accident that the money hasn't been paid. Conor is willingly withholding the money for one reason or another. The reason he has given is kind of weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

MrStuffins wrote:
    But it's not stopping you from throwing around wild assumptions about tax liabilities, the status of his purse for the January fight and all sorts of nonsense.
    I said I'd assume he has tax liabilities in the US. I didn't make a statement of fact.
    MrStuffins wrote:
    Bottom line is, McGregor promised to donate $500k to Dustin's charity and has now reneged on it. Dustin has said one thing and Conor has said another. Is one of them mistaken? Are they both mistaken? Are they lying? Who knows?
    You don't know that he's reneged.
    MrStuffins wrote:
    But from what they have said, it has been established that it's not an accident that the money hasn't been paid. Conor is willingly withholding the money for one reason or another. The reason he has given is kind of weak.
    So wanting to be certain that the money is going to charity and not into somebodies pocket is a weak excuse?
    Do you just go around willy nilly handing out money to charities you know nothing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I would say it's more than likely that Conor's team are a team of inefficient monkeys.

bit like his coaching staff

• Advertisement

You don't know that he's reneged.

He promised the money and h hasn't paid it. He admits this is by design. Until he pays up, he has reneged.

So wanting to be certain that the money is going to charity and not into somebodies pocket is a weak excuse?
    Do you just go around willy nilly handing out money to charities you know nothing about?

When I put money into a Trocaire box, I don't ask the 8 year old kid at my front door to show me a Powerpoint presentation on where the money's going.

It's reasonable for him to not want his money to go into someone's pocket, sure. But at this point it looks like an excuse on his part.

He would have been better off saying "Sorry Dustin, if that's the case i'll get on it and make sure the money is paid if we are happy with our due dilligence"

It sounds like an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

When I put money into a Trocaire box, I don't ask the 8 year old kid at my front door to show me a Powerpoint presentation on where the money's going.

You bloody well would if it was 500k!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,647 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He promised the money and h hasn't paid it. He admits this is by design. Until he pays up, he has reneged.

It's reasonable for him to not want his money to go into someone's pocket, sure. But at this point it looks like an excuse on his part.

He would have been better off saying "Sorry Dustin, if that's the case i'll get on it and make sure the money is paid if we are happy with our due dilligence"

It sounds like an excuse.

500 grand and a Trocaire box is completely different ,

A man of his wealth would have numerous people in charge of different aspects of that wealth, These people would be paid well and you can be sure they wold not be handing over 500 grand just on a sound bite from a press conference ,There jobs are to make sure they do everything correctly with his money , So asking where exactly the money is going would be on that list of checks ,

Also lets not forget Conor is a fighter and just got ko'd by Dustin ,
    Dustin realised the info on twitter in a dig at Conor there was no way he would get a polite reply after the way he put it out there ,

Some people really fail to look at things from both perspectives
    I'm not a Conor fan at all but it think its only fair to look at this logically ,

You bloody well would if it was 500k!

It'd wanna be some Trocaire box!

Awful lot of excuses here

McGregor said he would donate...

Still no donation...

All the red herrings about amounts, tax, dodgy charities etc.......

If any of this, then he never should have made the offer to donate in the first place..

Reminds me of Tyson Fury and his donating all his winnings from a recent fight to charity....as far as I know, nothing....at least nothing to say any donation took place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's either a scum move by McGregor or it's a massive publicity stunt for both the fight and the charity.

Picture this - Conor and Poirier agree to stage this. Massive publicity for the rematch as people want to see good guy smash bad guy, thinking there's a hatred between the two. MMA fans likely start a charity drive to donate to Poiriers charity. Post fight it turns out Conor already donated 500k (or is going to) and everyone loves it.

Conor wins

Dustin wins

Dustins charity wins

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. This sport is like WWE with real punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Pussyhands wrote: »
    It's either a scum move by McGregor or it's a massive publicity stunt for both the fight and the charity.

Picture this - Conor and Poirier agree to stage this. Massive publicity for the rematch as people want to see good guy smash bad guy, thinking there's a hatred between the two. MMA fans likely start a charity drive to donate to Poiriers charity. Post fight it turns out Conor already donated 500k (or is going to) and everyone loves it.

Conor wins

Dustin wins

Dustins charity wins

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. This sport is like WWE with real punches.

Fully agree..

.....or it's a massive publicity stunt for both the fight and the charity.

I don't think most reasonable people would actually believe this.

But it wouldn't be a thread on combat sports without the token "Ah it's all publicity" go round.

Always quickly followed by "something something WWE something Hulk Hogan something"

Nonsense!

His latest insta post is interesting

In a nutshell, encouraging his young son (3/4 year old) to box the head off someone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Conor wins

Dustin wins

Dustins charity wins

FFS!!

• Advertisement

But it wouldn't be a thread on combat sports without the token "Ah it's all publicity" go round.

Maybe if so much pre fight talk wasn't just for publicity, there would be no doubt.

Maybe if so much pre fight talk wasn't just for publicity, there would be no doubt.

To most reasonable person, there is no doubt.

The "publicity stunt" thing is the oldest and laziest line in the game.

Conor could die and there'd be still someone at his funeral saying "Nah, I think this is publicity for his next fight"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

walshb wrote: »

In a nutshell, encouraging his young son (3/4 year old) to box the head off someone.....

This was more of a head shake than the charity thing. Boring the head off his infant child about being king and then telling him to box another child in the mouth.

Ush1 wrote: »
    This was more of a head shake than the charity thing. Boring the head off his infant child about being king and then telling him to box another child in the mouth.

Unreal.....

Box him in the mouth

And box the head off him....I was waiting for some joke/skit to it....

But no, it's encouraging your quite young son to resort to violence......weird...

Unreal.....

Box him in the mouth

But no, it's encouraging your quite young son to resort to violence......weird...

"It's a publicity stunt"

Unreal.....

Box him in the mouth

If i'm the father of the other kid i'm saying "Listen Mini Stuffins, do you know who that kid's father is? You're on your own here! Take that whooping."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

His own advice "hit him in the mouth" against Poirer didn't work, should be telling his son to throw calf kicks instead.

Giving up the back runs in the family it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

What was interesting was when he said 'let's do some boxing training' and the kid clearly said 'no'.

Just let him be a kid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,647 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Unreal.....

Box him in the mouth

Its absolutely bizarre,

Why in the world would you treat your son like that ,
    It's like he thinks its "COOL" he is a 32 year old grown man for god sake,

Reminds me of a family member before showing me a video encouraging his 5 year old son into robbing jellies at the cinema , like give the poor kid a chance in life will ye ,

Advertisement