Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Has anyone else rewatched the last fight back without commentary and scored Rd1 to Dustin like myself?

Personally think it was close but scored it to Dustin some people seem to think Conor dominated rd1,

I give him very little chance in the rematch in July just hasnt the heart (silk sheets and all that)

On top of that I believe his team are the worst mma squad you could possibly want in your corner for example his fitness coach is Colin Byrne a retired semi pro nobody cyclist who owns a nice gym in Portugal, Cian Cowley his go to sparring partner an absolutely woeful mma fighter who was an ok regional fighter in muay thai and has no skills bar cheer leading Conor and being a punch bag, I wouldnt doubt Kavanagh too much or his wrestling coach who are not really charlatans like the rest of his ''team''.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

eagle eye wrote: »
    But this isn't fight 2, it's fight 3 and it's just as well you didn't have those stats for fight 2 as the winner of the first bout and strong favourite lost.

The statistics I gave, and the link I provided, were in no way meant to suggest how I thought this fight, or any other fight, might go.

I literally said in my original post I was unsure how it might relate to the post I quoted, other than it gives the specific statistical breakdown of rematch results.

On top of that, the post you actually quoted from me, was a direct response to Mellor, who was asking specifically about betting lines on rematches, and whether always backing the original winner in a rematch would result in a net profit if viewed over time.

But, yeah, dat left hand, or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Has anyone else rewatched the last fight back without commentary and scored Rd1 to Dustin like myself?

Personally think it was close but scored it to Dustin some people seem to think Conor dominated rd1,

I give him very little chance in the rematch in July just hasnt the heart (silk sheets and all that)

On top of that I believe his team are the worst mma squad you could possibly want in your corner for example his fitness coach is Colin Byrne a retired semi pro nobody cyclist who owns a nice gym in Portugal, Cian Cowley his go to sparring partner an absolutely woeful mma fighter who was an ok regional fighter in muay thai and has no skills bar cheer leading Conor and being a punch bag, I wouldnt doubt Kavanagh too much or his wrestling coach who are not really charlatans like the rest of his ''team''.

His McGregor FAST system seems more of a FARCE than anything. The Conor pre knee surgery, who used to put in miles of roadwork had far better cardio than the Byrnes adaptation. For instance, The mcgregor that fought Holloway for 3 rounds was barely breathing throughout

His McGregor FAST system seems more of a FARCE than anything. The Conor pre knee surgery, who used to put in miles of roadwork had far better cardio than the Byrnes adaptation. For instance, The mcgregor that fought Holloway for 3 rounds was barely breathing throughout

GAST

GAST

:pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,581 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Surely his team record his fitness Data and could actually tell you if your correct .

Lets not forget Holloway was 21 year old kid when he fought Connor , he was built like a teenager & lost his previous fight to Bermudez, Its not like he was the cardio freak he is today he was super green

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Surely his team record his fitness Data and could actually tell you if your correct .

Lets not forget Holloway was 21 year old kid when he fought Connor , he was built like a teenager & lost his previous fight to Bermudez, Its not like he was the cardio freak he is today he was super green

That Bermudez fight still irks me.

I haven't watched it back since, but I remember thinking very strongly at the time that Max was robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I find it bizarre that anyone would be paying for that McGregor FAST programme. I guess someone must be though.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    That Bermudez fight still irks me.

I haven't watched it back since, but I remember thinking very strongly at the time that Max was robbed.

Just watched it back and I really wish I hadn't.

Round 1: Max hits a couple of early jabs. Denis goes for a takedown but Max defends by threatening the guillotine. Max controls the striking from the outside. Bermudez unable to lay a hand on him. Max hurts Denis badly with a spinning back kick with about 1:30 to go in the round. Max lands 2-3 more of these kicks to the body and finishes the round strongly!

Max 10-9

Round 2: Denis goes for an early takedown, Max reverses the position and ends up on Bermudez's back. They separate but Max lands a headkick on the break. Couple of good kicks moving forward from Denis. Much closer striking in the middle of the round but with Max getting the better with a kick headkick and a big right/left combo.

Bermudez lands a strong leg kick that buckles Max for a moment. Unable to capitalise though and Holloway lands another nice right hand. Denis goes for another takedown and Max successfully resists again. Denis doing well with the leg kicks. Max lands another headkick with exactly 1 min left. Denis finally wins a takedown with 20 secs left but another clear round for Max.

Max 20-18

Interestingly, Bermudez's corner tells Denis he needs a finish.

Round 3: Denis comes out looking for the finish. Max lands a high kick but Bermudez gets a takedown. Max gets back to his feet but Denis lands a knee the break. Max lands a couple of really nice rights, answered by some nice kicks by Bermudez.

Joe Rogan with 3 mins left in the round "It's clear to me that Bermudez has to finish this fight"

Bermudez moving forward with strikes and his legkicks continue to be effective. Denis gets the take down with 1:40 left in the round and lands soem serious elbows. He's trying to finish the fight. Denis doing some real damage with the elbows now form half guard. Bermudez finsihes strong to take the round. Rogan calls it a "Moral victory" because he was able to finish the fight on top.

Max 29 - 28 Bermudez.

(PS: Fight Pass has been a saviour during this pandemic)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Still Ill wrote: »
    I find it bizarre that anyone would be paying for that McGregor FAST programme. I guess someone must be though.

I say the same about his proper piss that he sells, so many fools with money.

• Advertisement

Worst whiskey ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭xtal191

Theres a lot of idiots in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yes his team is laughable.

SBG is a smalltime gym that hit the big time with Conor, but it's not like they're churning out top fighters.

You know what? I can kinda understand the whiskey selling well though. I've never tasted it myself and never will, but I can see why young lads would buy a bottle to put a picture on Insta and tag McGregor or something. It obviously has a target market and that's certainly not whiskey connoisseurs!

Have also never seen any of his FAST programme, but it seems like it'd just be some generic fitness programme with a McGregor premium on the price. Anyone who's serious about getting into shape could certainly source material for cheaper or even for free from somewhere else. The fact that his stamina is probably one of his biggest weaknesses probably makes it a more difficult sell too. (I'm aware that he's super fit by a normal person's standards, just talking about the optics of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

To echo what other have said, he seems the typical flat track bully. Just can't really be a nail. To quote a football analogy, he doesn't like it up him.

Great example of a champ who can do that was Jones Gus 1. Jones getting beat up for much of the start but came on strong towards the end, nearly finished Gus with the spinning elbow. It's a mentality thing, they believe they can always win.

When plan A doesn't work, he gets the Bull Mcgregor face and deflates. Literally shows is his posture. He could get away with it at featherweight as his power had more effect and the opponent couldn't hurt him too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

You know what? I can kinda understand the whiskey selling well though. I've never tasted it myself and never will, but I can see why young lads would buy a bottle to put a picture on Insta and tag McGregor or something. It obviously has a target market and that's certainly not whiskey connoisseurs!

I also think to call it piss is a bit much. It's not, it's just really low-end whiskey that comes with a slightly inflated price because of brand.

It's perfectly "fine" for low-end whiskey, stuff you'd mix with coke and enjoy, but you're just paying for the name, it's no better or worse than your average €20 bottle really, you're just paying that 20% brand markup.

I would never buy it personally, but in the same way that I wouldn't pay €200 for some celebrity endorsed pair of Nikes, or something like Beats headphones.

Ush1 wrote: »
    To echo what other have said, he seems the typical flat track bully. Just can't really be a nail. To quote a football analogy, he doesn't like it up him.

Great example of a champ who can do that was Jones Gus 1. Jones getting beat up for much of the start but came on strong towards the end, nearly finished Gus with the spinning elbow. It's a mentality thing, they believe they can always win.

When plan A doesn't work, he gets the Bull Mcgregor face and deflates. Literally shows is his posture. He could get away with it at featherweight as his power had more effect and the opponent couldn't hurt him too easily.

Agree with a lot of this, but the second diaz fight he showed heart. It was close contest, that he arguably lost, but also one his finest performances. He showed real grit and character in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Agree with a lot of this, but the second diaz fight he showed heart. It was close contest, that he arguably lost, but also one his finest performances. He showed real grit and character in that one.

I don't know if it's a question of heart so much as just his confidence evaporates. I think he won the second Diaz fight but it was a slog that could have went either way. Look what Mazvidal done to Diaz. It's also just likely a cardio thing. Most other fighters slow down a bit as the fight goes on but Conor seems to drop off a cliff, he becomes so flat footed and laboured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

A certain thing beginning with C is really bad for cardio

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A certain thing beginning with C is really bad for cardio

Irreversible too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It’s probably a decent program. It’s basically heart rate zone training which is fairly tried and tested.
    But I think Conor might not be the best representation of its efficacy.
    Homelander wrote: »
    I also think to call it piss is a bit much. It's not, it's just really low-end whiskey that comes with a slightly inflated price because of brand.

That’s it in a nutshell. It’s a 4 year old blend, with a marketing mark up. If anyone didn’t know to expect fairly basic whiskey they probably don’t actually drink whiskey.

What’s really funny is people complaining about Proper12 but raving about their local small “distillery” which is selling the same stock for an even bigger mark up.

To quote a football analogy, he doesn't like it up him.

Someone doesn't want it up them eh?

I'd have thought that was Conor's wheelhouse!

Mellor wrote: »
    It’s probably a decent program. It’s basically heart rate zone training which is fairly tried and tested.
    But I think Conor might not be the best representation of its efficacy.

That’s it in a nutshell. It’s a 4 year old blend, with a marketing mark up. If anyone didn’t know to expect fairly basic whiskey they probably don’t actually drink whiskey.

What’s really funny is people complaining about Proper12 but raving about their local small “distillery” which is selling the same stock for an even bigger mark up.

Ah yeah, I'm not saying either is terrible.. I've no idea about either whiskey or fitness programmes! :pac:
    I'm just saying I can more understand young lads paying the McGregor mark-up on the whiskey! I'm sure the fitness stuff could be learnt online for free somewhere or other if one was really serious about it. But that's how endorsements work I guess! You'd always have bundles of people buying the latest fitness DVD at Christmas of whichever girl from Geordie Shore managed to lose a couple of stone that year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭JohnMcm1

I don't understand the hate the lad gets to be fair. He comes across as arrogant sometimes but that's just to promote the fights and he was an absolute gentleman after his last loss (which he accepted graciously).

The energy some people put into hating him is mad, he's not everyone's cup of tea but you'd do a whole lot better saving that energy for something constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

JohnMcm1 wrote: »
    I don't understand the hate the lad gets to be fair. He comes across as arrogant sometimes but that's just to promote the fights and he was an absolute gentleman after his last loss (which he accepted graciously).

The energy some people put into hating him is mad, he's not everyone's cup of tea but you'd do a whole lot better saving that energy for something constructive.

I think people dislike him because of all the sh1t he does outside off fighting and how he never has to suffer any consequences because of his cash cow status.

There are 100s of reasons to love and admire the guy.

But let's be honest, there are also 100s of reasons to dislike the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

He makes a real effort to be easy to dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm sure the fitness stuff could be learnt online for free somewhere or other if one was really serious about it. But that's how endorsements work I guess! You'd always have bundles of people buying the latest fitness DVD at Christmas of whichever girl from Geordie Shore managed to lose a couple of stone that year.
    Yeah, that’s a good analogy. I think in general people are lazy and want a training plan handed to them in one package. There’s an awful lot of paid programs out there that are inferior to the mountains of free information. It’s just the former is convenient and the latter you have to research.

Plus there’s probably an element of fellas doing FAST and deluding themselves that they are training MMA.

He makes a real effort to be easy to dislike.

True. There are many reasons to dislike or no longer like him. Which is perfectly normal.
    But I think the previous poster was talking about people who apparently despise him, but also invest considerable amounts of energy into hating him as a hobby.

It’s like hating a TV show but still watching it every day and reminding everyone you hate it.

I don't know if it's a question of heart so much as just his confidence evaporates. I think he won the second Diaz fight but it was a slog that could have went either way. Look what Mazvidal done to Diaz. It's also just likely a cardio thing. Most other fighters slow down a bit as the fight goes on but Conor seems to drop off a cliff, he becomes so flat footed and laboured.

Agreed. I think it's a combination of mentality and physiology. He doesnt trust his cardio but also seems to mentally check out when things aren't going is way.

Firaz did a great piece on him after the 2nd porier fight, comparing his body language to max when porier was laying into them. Holloway stays calm, his face doesnt really change, he weathers the storm, circles out and resets. McGregor, in contrast, has the look of sheer panic on his face that hes about to be finished, he overextends and does get finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Too many liberal wet wipes......for a sport that involves beating someone to a bloody pulp to say he's 'arrogant' and 'not likeable' meh who care

as Bob Hoskins once said 'I've **** em'

Advertisement