Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Too many liberal wet wipes......

Ah lads! Must be bring this lazy rubbish into every discussion?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Agreed. I think it's a combination of mentality and physiology. He doesnt trust his cardio but also seems to mentally check out when things aren't going is way.

Firaz did a great piece on him after the 2nd porier fight, comparing his body language to max when porier was laying into them. Holloway stays calm, his face doesnt really change, he weathers the storm, circles out and resets. McGregor, in contrast, has the look of sheer panic on his face that hes about to be finished, he overextends and does get finished.

The difference between Holloway and McGregor is that McGregor's foot was bollocksed so he couldn't just circle away. According to Kavanagh he had drop foot where something is putting pressure on the nerve and stops you sending a signal down it. I had that before and when you lift your foot off the ground it just flops downwards. Maybe his wasn't as bad as mine but in my case there was literally no signal getting through. I can imagine even a partial blockage would make it difficult to walk let alone fight with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

A certain thing beginning with C is really bad for cardio

Cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

The difference between Holloway and McGregor is that McGregor's foot was bollocksed so he couldn't just circle away. According to Kavanagh he had drop foot where something is putting pressure on the nerve and stops you sending a signal down it. I had that before and when you lift your foot off the ground it just flops downwards. Maybe his wasn't as bad as mine but in my case there was literally no signal getting through. I can imagine even a partial blockage would make it difficult to walk let alone fight with.

He got hit and essentially taken out, no different to the 13 second knock out fight.......deal with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He got hit and essentially taken out, no different to the 13 second knock out fight.......deal with it.

There is nothing to deal with. I know he got knocked out and beat. Don't know what the point you're trying to make is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Another mark in the dislike category for McGregor..if true but Poirier doesn't seem the type to make this up

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1381388524163850243?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

RoryMac wrote: »
    Another mark in the dislike category for McGregor..if true but Poirier doesn't seem the type to make this up

No more Mr nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I guess it takes time to move that kinda money, but it would be seriously low to renege on that. I doubt he would, considering the build up to his last two fights were mostly about image rehabilitation. No excuse for the lack of communication though.. That's really poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

EyuyWd8XEAABtMw?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 37,704 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RoryMac wrote:
    So he's probably doing that from his pay from the last Poirier fight. Has he been paid yet?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    So he's probably doing that from his pay from the last Poirier fight. Has he been paid yet?

Yes.

eagle eye wrote: »

Still should communicate that though.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Still should communicate that though.

I'm not sure how he could communicate something Eagle Eye just assumed (pretty much made up) on a message board.

The lad does nothing but talk about his wealth. I doubt he's going to be like "Yeah, put that on tick for me will you? I don't get paid til Tuesday".

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm not sure how he could communicate something Eagle Eye just assumed (pretty much made up) on a message board.

The lad does nothing but talk about his wealth. I doubt he's going to be like "Yeah, put that on tick for me will you? I don't get paid til Tuesday".

Haha! Of course I agree with you.. Just saying, in the hypothetical scenario if that was the case there's still no excuse for not communicating. It's difficult not to think the worst of here - despite Eagle Eye's best efforts.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Haha! Of course I agree with you.. Just saying, in the hypothetical scenario if that was the case there's still no excuse for not communicating. It's difficult not to think the worst of here - despite Eagle Eye's best efforts.

There's likely a good reason for it. I doubt McGregor would make such a promise and reneg. Specifically since it was his idea IIRC? He had touted the idea of an exhibition in Dublin where they both donated to charity?

Either way, the fella has 9 figures in the bank apparently recently doubled his net worth by selling his whiskey business.

It would be hilarious if he claimed that he had to wait til his wage-packet came in to pay someone what he promised them.

Still Ill wrote:
    I'm just pointing out that you haven't a clue just as I don't.
    If after they meet again he still hasn't fulfilled his promise then you can talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It would be hilarious if he claimed that he had to wait til his wage-packet came in to pay someone what he promised them.

To be fair, it's quite common for contracted payments to be dependent on being paid, regardless the ability for the person/company to pay.

However that's would be usually communicated pretty clearly.

I'm not buying McGregor's excuse, sounds like he's trying to weasel his way out of paying.
    https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1381468593158766592?s=19

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1381481527457026048?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That sounds dodgy. He said too many times he was gonna donate to back out and put conditions on it. Fair enough, I'm sure people get burnt so the time with donation scams but hardly think Dustin was gonna pocket it. Saying that, a bit of bad blood won't hurt the upcoming ppv.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Dana reading the tweets...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

There's likely a good reason for it. I doubt McGregor would make such a promise and reneg. Specifically since it was his idea IIRC? He had touted the idea of an exhibition in Dublin where they both donated to charity?

Either way, the fella has 9 figures in the bank apparently recently doubled his net worth by selling his whiskey business.

Or could be McGregor lost to him and is bitter now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Ush1 wrote: »

I'd say its all pre agreed pantomine at this stage.

Something to make fans think the bad blood is stirring, anything to bump a few numbers in the ppv at this stage.

Or maybe Mgregor is thinking stupid moves are smart and he can play with poriers head, I personally think he should be more focused on improving his fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd say its all pre agreed pantomine at this stage.

Something to make fans think the bad blood is stirring, anything to bump a few numbers in the ppv at this stage.

Or maybe Mgregor is thinking stupid moves are smart and he can play with poriers head, I personally think he should be more focused on improving his fighting.

I doubt it's pre agreed. Porier wouldn't be into that and this is terrible PR for McGregor so don't think he would want this kind of hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,573 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm not buying McGregor's excuse, sounds like he's trying to weasel his way out of paying.
    https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1381468593158766592?s=19

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1381481527457026048?s=19

Not sure why anyone has a problem with Conor over this,

Any one making a large donation would be entitled to see the plan of what will be done with the money ,

You'd have to imagine there is endless amount of charities that come to Conor with there hand out ,
    I'm sure its not eve Conor himself who deals with this , its his money people who would have boxes that need to be ticked before they give anything the go ahead, That what he employs them for ,

In fact no business would hand over cash like that without some kind of condition or promises on where it will be going ,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dustin said his team never responded to the emails about where the funds would be put to work.
    It's an easy choice on who I'd believe is telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Ush1 wrote: »

I would say it's more than likely that Conor's team are a team of inefficient monkeys.

Not sure why anyone has a problem with Conor over this,

Any one making a large donation would be entitled to see the plan of what will be done with the money ,

You'd have to imagine there is endless amount of charities that come to Conor with there hand out ,
    I'm sure its not eve Conor himself who deals with this , its his money people who would have boxes that need to be ticked before they give anything the go ahead, That what he employs them for ,

In fact no business would hand over cash like that without some kind of condition or promises on where it will be going ,

Poirier said he reached out 3 times to McGregor's team about where the funds would be used and got no replies so don't think that argument really holds much water.

Also McGregor's suggestion in his reply that Poirier picking to fight him instead of going for the belt somehow showed a lack of morals is pretty sh!tty

This is unbelievable, you have so many haters in here just looking to dish McGregor without any proof of anything.
    Like the truth will come out, why not wait patiently to see what happens? Why are you slinging dirt, deciding who you believe when you know sfa about the situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,573 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Poirier said he reached out 3 times to McGregor's team about where the funds would be used and got no replies so don't think that argument really holds much water.

Also McGregor's suggestion in his reply that Poirier picking to fight him instead of going for the belt somehow showed a lack of morals is pretty sh!tty

Conor comes across as an ****ty human at times but I can not see him trying to swerve paying a donation to Charity , Its peanuts to him anyway,

I'm sure its mix up , I'd have thought the Dustin would have just got in contact with Conor himself , The whole using twitter for drama is a bit childish .

Advertisement