Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

eagle eye wrote: »
    Do basically he's a nobody who found a bit of fame because of McGregor?

Weird way to look at it, but not surprising.

He was fighting in the UFC when Conor McGregor was sitting in the cheap seats at UFC 93.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

So basically he's a nobody who found a bit of fame because of McGregor?

Yes exactly. The UFC did not exist before Conor McGregor came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ioni 1985

https://punditarena.com/mma/darraghmurphy/conor-mcgregor-threatens-pull-out-trilogy-dustin-poirier/
    Childish behavior" I'll take my toys and play with someone else" because he got embarrassed 😅😅.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Any idea why ?

They always seemed quite close

No, no one knows. a lot of speculation though. He's a clean cut guy and wouldn't be of similar character to the scrotes Mcg was hanging around with a few years back. neither have never acknowledged the falling out, but Tom has liked a few tweets over the years were Mcg was called out for being a bit of a scummer.
    So basically he's a nobody who found a bit of fame because of McGregor?

again he was fighting in the UFC when Cmg was watching on. had to retire due to injury.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Weird way to look at it, but not surprising.

He was fighting in the UFC when Conor McGregor was sitting in the cheap seats at UFC 93.

He runs a gym in the US now, seems like a decent fella. Loves guns and Trump though. Convinced Ireland is a Commie state now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Who is Tom Egan?

jaysus do you even ufc bro!

• Advertisement

I'm not a McGregor fan. I'm an MMA fan.
    Who is Tom Egan?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yes exactly. The UFC did not exist before Conor McGregor came along.
    Of course it existed and I watched it from the mid nineties. I never heard of Egan before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I guess in the cold light of day. If Dustin's foundation was a professional outfit they should have sent the details already. The onus is on them to provide that without being asked.

Of course it existed and I watched it from the mid nineties. I never heard of Egan before though.

I'd nearly say it was impossible to not know of Tom Egan even if you were only following the UFC through Mcgregors era. He literally name checked him all the time early on and as I said was a coach with him on the Ultimate fighter.

I'm not a big MMA fan and I didn't watch the UFC in the 90s, and I know who Tom Egan is.

tenor.gif

• Advertisement

I'd nearly say it was impossible to not know of Tom Egan even if you were only following the UFC through Mcgregors era. He literally name checked him all the time early on and as I said was a coach with him on the Ultimate fighter.
    I don't read news about personal lives of sports figures. I watch fights, almost exclusively UFC although I've watched a little Bellator recently.
    I don't watch press conferences pre or post fight normally either.
    I'm not a big MMA fan and I didn't watch the UFC in the 90s, and I know who Tom Egan is.
    How?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I guess in the cold light of day. If Dustin's foundation was a professional outfit they should have sent the details already. The onus is on them to provide that without being asked.

They were sending requests but getting nothing back, maybe they did send the information, who knows! One thing is for sure, no money was sent.

How?

I can't recall exactly when I first heard of him, but it was most likely on here. Also during the "Irish invasion" of the UFC I looked into other Irish fighters, past and present. For example, I learned about Joseph Duffy this way before he signed to the UFC. So I might have learned about him through my own research.

I watch fights, almost exclusively UFC ..........

So..... you're a Conor McGregor fan who never heard him talk about Tom Egan even though he was name checked a load of times.

You're a UFC fan, but you never heard of former UFC fighter Tom Egan despite the fact that he fought on the first UFC card in Rep of Ireland and was the first fighter from Rep of Ireland to fight in the UFC.

You also haven't heard of Tom Egan because you've been a fan since the mid-90s..... even though UFC 93 was in 2009.

I'm afraid this ignorance of Tom Egan is a failing on your part pal, not anyone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

They were sending requests but getting nothing back, maybe they did send the information, who knows! One thing is for sure, no money was sent.

I guess so, I don't know what the process is in the charity sector for these kinds of things.

I'm confident this is all about building up the fight. It'll get dirtier and dirtier and then the fight will definitely be on again. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the interest in the fight wasn't as high as they expected. And this is how they plan to drum it up.

I'm confident this is all about building up the fight. It'll get dirtier and dirtier and then the fight will definitely be on again. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the interest in the fight wasn't as high as they expected. And this is how they plan to drum it up.

So none of this is true and it's a conspiracy?

MrStuffins wrote:
    So none of this is true and it's a conspiracy?

Do you not think McGregor is capable of doing this stuff?

McGregor is capable of sticking all of his money into a big pile and burning it like The Joker.

McGregor is capable of quitting MMA, buying multiple elephants and spending his day trumpety-trumping around the world, riding a new one each day.

McGregor is capable of getting Liam & Noel Gallagher into a room together, organising an Oasis reunion and bringing in Blur as the support act.

Are any of these things likely because he is capable of them? Nope!

Are you honestly saying that none of this stuff is real and that it's a conspiracy? You've considered all of the eventualities, and you've taken in all of the information, and this is the conclusion you've come to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Are you honestly saying that none of this stuff is real and that it's a conspiracy? You've considered all of the eventualities, and you've taken in all of the information, and this is the conclusion you've come to?

don't bite the bait

MrStuffins wrote:
    If somebody told you he'd attack a bus before it happened what would you have said?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Clearly a lot of you decided to ignore my last post..thread closed. Cards will be handed out accordingly

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to add, if anyone wishes to discuss the Charity issue please start a thread in Current Affairs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Thread open....MMA discussion only.

Also, less of the back and forth bickering, attack the post, not the poster. A few of you will be finding yourself with some time off if you cant stick to the basic rules.

If you want to discuss the charity situation go start a thread in Current Affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Wonder will his training camp be in Portugal again?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Esse85 wrote: »
    Wonder will his training camp be in Portugal again?

Hey Artem back in the camp!! Speaking of, it's so weird to see most of his teammates moved on. I'd love if he had ufc caliber sparring partners but think the ego is way too big at this stage. That early footage of him bouncing around and kicking is positive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Amazing how that twitter beef came a day before the official announcement, wolf tickets I believe the term is.

McGregor will probably go full muay thai training now re leg kicks and Dusitn will come in shooting takedowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

Amazing how that twitter beef came a day before the official announcement, wolf tickets I believe the term is.

McGregor will probably go full muay thai training now re leg kicks and Dusitn will come in shooting takedowns.

Yeah but the problem there is he is learning Muay Thai from Cian Cowley who himself is far from elite at Muay Thai and I doubt has much experience with calf kicks(they are not used that often at all in MT). Then you have JK, who also is clueless about Muay Thai and MMA striking.

Like Dustin has Mike Brown, Justin has Trevor Whitman, Khabib had Javier Mendez and Conor has Cian F'n Cowley. Its so funny as well because I've never seen a more stuck in the mud striker as Conor would say and that's his Muay Thai coach.

Dustin and Mike Brown are smart enough to realise Conor is going to be expecting calf kicks this time so will have a different game plan which I imagine will be wrestling/clinch based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I know his team helped him get to where he is now and in fairness many of that team were elite at the time I suppose.
    But in recent times unlike most top UFC fighters he is an oddity not sparring and training against other ranked contenders in his or divisions above/below. His team don't even seem to have driven for improved cardio - arguably his greatest flaw.
    Given his limited fight time this surely has to be a real disadvantage.

I would love for Conor to win as he provides so much pantomine and what next nonsense to the UFC, but it is becoming my opinion the odds are stacking against him (I am far from well informed, just a tv couch fan).

He was a monster against midgets in his early ufc career and since step up (prob not his choice really with those weight cuts) he has lost more than he has won.

Still the joy of the man is all it takes him is that one good punch, so he always has a solid chance.

Advertisement